Geocaching

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 dogmac

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'd never heard of this before yesterday, but then suddenly it is everywhere in my awareness, and I did my first geocache today.

I can see this is likely to get hugely addictive.

So I'd love to hear from others who do this, and get hints.  What kind of things do you leave?  Do your kids like it?  How many things would you hunt for in one day with your kids?  That kind of thing.

Di

#2 DEVOCEAN

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

I know a few people that do it and yes they say it is very addictive. We would like to do it, however we just don't have the time.

#3 Mrs Lost Wanderer

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

YAYAYAYA!!!!!!!! Sorry just got excited as this is the first geocaching thread I've seen on EB.

My husband found out about caching through a friend and when he explained it to me I thought it sounded geeky and lame. Well, I found our first 5 caches and that was 2 years and over 700 caches ago.

In that two years we have also had DD1 and DD2. We find it to be a really family orientated activity to do together. There are plenty of caches in national parks, kids playgrounds, around cities and pretty much everywhere in between.

We use to live in Adelaide and found to many places we wouldn't never have know about and seen things we would have never seen if not for caching. Now we live in Albury Wodonga and are discovering the area through find caches in different places.

Not sure about how much you already know about caching dogmac, but each cache has a difficulty and terrain rating of 1-5. A terrain of 1 would be something that someone in a wheelchair could do right through to a level 5 which requires abseiling equipment, a boat, scuba diving equipment or something of that nature to get. When I was pregnant with DD2 I dragged DD1 in her pram up a mountain in pursuit of a cache but that's another story....

There are also different types of caches. Traditional caches where you are given a coordinate where the cache is. A multi cache where there are 2 or more places to visit. Mystery caches which involve a puzzle or something to solve to give you the coordinate of the cache.

We have met lots of new friends through caching. There are different event caches too.

So yeah..... I'm a geocaching tragic and pround of it.

Anyone want to know more or already are a cacher?? PM me or looking me!!!!!!

#4 PatG

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

I'm a sporadic geocacher!  I think it's a great activity for kids, gets families out and about and going to new/different places that may be quite close but have just never been visited.  Or it can become part of holidays - if you go camping you look up all the ones near where you will camp or if you are driving long distances you can organise break stops near a cache to get everyone out in the fresh air for 15 minutes.  A lot of caches are in parks so can be combined with using a playground or going for a walk etc.  I love the simplicity of the idea and you can be as involved or uninvolved as you like.

As for things to leave - not smelly erasers! Ants like them.  Stickers (buy a multipack lot from a discount store and get kids to choose which one to leave each time), small toys (kinder surprise, macca's type things), foreign coins, fridge magnets......  

Lots for kids to learn from...  Persistence, following instructions, technology, working as a team, being part of a community/respect, acceptance of failure (after the persistence bit!).

#5 Riversong

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

I've been a Geocacher for a few years now (about 6 I think?) and love it. We don't have a car though so haven't found anywhere near the amount of caches we could have.
We often pick a suburb and catch the train there and walk along bike paths etc and look for caches.
Every time we go on holidays we find some caches to do.

I used to take my bike on the train and ride and do them but have DD now. We even bought a lighter pram so we can take it on the bus to get to more caches.
I've found caches on holiday in New Zealand and in a couple of states here.

I love finding new places that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I saw some amazing places in New Zealand (with friends in  a car) that I wouldn't have seen otherwise.
There's an excellent series on the Gold Coast spit (near Seaworld) that's great to do with kids if any of you are up here on holidays anytime. 20 caches to find in a 4km walk.

#6 dizzy-anne

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Welcome to the crazy world dogmac!  Yes it is incredibly addictive.  I, however, have managed to be an occasional, or holiday geocacher.  I have been caching since 2006 however.  My family are all obsessed - way more obsessed than me.  Check out www.geocaching.com.au for some really fun statistics on your geocaching status - it has an obsession metre and all!

I love that it takes us places we wouldn't have gone before - even in your own neighbourhood.  It's also a great fun thing to do with family or a small group.  As for leaving swaps - just make sure of a few things: nothing edible or that will degrade with time; please swap for equal value, or even better - higher value - it's sad the rubbish some people leave behind while taking perfectly good items.
Also, make sure you rehide the cache where you found it - and hide it well so it doesn't get muggled.  Oh, and when posting - be kind and thank the person who placed the cache - people go to lots of effort to place and maintain caches and it's nice to hear something a little personal and a thank you.

I don't have any kids yet but have been caching with various nieces and nephews - some love it, some don't...  When they're little - we call it a treasure hunt - gets them going original.gif

Also - look out for events.  There are a few national and local facebook groups, forums on the Australian website, and of course - you can just get updates for caches in your area.  This will help you hear about events which are always fun and allows you to meet other nutters like yourself - it's one whole big secret world out there!

Above all - enjoy!!

#7 ~mimo~

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

so hat do you do? Go to a specified location and take a pic?

Who chooses the location?

#8 dogmac

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

No, you have to go to the location and find a hidden box or something, and log that you have found it.  Sometimes there are things in the box and you can take one and replace it with something of same or higher value.

And apparently you have to be careful to make sure no one sees you do it.  Which I may not have succeeded at today.

#9 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 30/03/2012, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a sporadic geocacher!  I think it's a great activity for kids, gets families out and about and going to new/different places that may be quite close but have just never been visited.  Or it can become part of holidays - if you go camping you look up all the ones near where you will camp or if you are driving long distances you can organise break stops near a cache to get everyone out in the fresh air for 15 minutes.  A lot of caches are in parks so can be combined with using a playground or going for a walk etc.  I love the simplicity of the idea and you can be as involved or uninvolved as you like.

agree with this.  Our involvement tends to ebb and flow, so geocaching offers great flexibility in that regards.  Our girls love it, but if we don't do it for a while, they're fine with that as well.

We always do it during holidays.   biggrin.gif   Great way to get around a new place.

#10 Frightbat

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

It has become a fun school holiday activity for us after I saw someone mention it in a thread a while ago.

There is an iPhone app as well that is quite good and makes finding out if there are any caches in the area really easy!

#11 bluesurrender

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

This makes me happy, too, as I am a casual Geocacher.

#12 WizzFizz

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

I have heard this mentioned ages ago and am keen to find out more. Is there a website or how do you find out about these caches things ? Is it good for younger kids - I have 2 boys 3 & 5.

#13 Ridcully

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (YodaTheWrinkledOne @ 30/03/2012, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
agree with this.  Our involvement tends to ebb and flow, so geocaching offers great flexibility in that regards.  Our girls love it, but if we don't do it for a while, they're fine with that as well.

We always do it during holidays.   biggrin.gif   Great way to get around a new place.

This.

We have cached all around the world; we even grabbed one out of the wall of the Vactican original.gif

We have also placed a couple of series around our area which are very popular. And we are planning the most evil cache series ever (very sneaky hides/cammo) if we ever get time to actually place them.

If you are not busy over Easter there is a Mega Event in Albury....they are expecting over 5000 cachers biggrin.gif

#14 dizzy-anne

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Wizz Fizz - go to www.geocaching.com and it will get you started.  There is a great short video clip on the homepage which tells you all about it.  It would be fine for kids your age - you just pick the easier ones.

There is also a mega event in New Zealand in October this year - great excuse for a holiday!

#15 dogmac

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Check out this teeny tiny cache we found today.  We were out looking for them for almost 6 hours.  Found 4.  Didn't find 3.  I think that isn't too bad going.

#16 MrsIncognito

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

We are sporadic cachers as well.  Have found a few around my local area but one to this day still has me absolutely stumped. Now the holidays are here we should get back into it original.gif

#17 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

I'm clueless but is this what requires the small siler containers with a screw on lid unsure.gif  I won one in the last nappy hunt and have no idea what to do with it.
If anyone can use it I'll post it to you:) I was going to chuck it out today.

#18 pp67

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

dogmac... that is tiny!!!!!  Who was the eagle eye that found that one  ohmy.gif

I too am a sparodic geocacher! I haven't been back for a couple of years though!

Can't remember how I came across it but once I found out about I suggest this wacky idea to the hubby and kids ( back then the kids were like 4 and 6 ).  They thought I was mad until we found our first cache... the kids got a little toy each and straight away they were hooked and wanted to go "treasure hunting" again.  

OP... your swapping trinkets can be little things you get from the $2 gift shop in the Aussie Tourist section... fridge magnets, key rings, little toy planes, cars, tiny dolls etc... something for the kids to swap with, but as someone else posted, please keep your trinkets nice and not tacky!  You'd be surprised at the little thought that's put in by some geocachers, which is a shame really!

We holidayed in Bendigo a couple of years ago and got a travelling bug.  Last I heard it went on to New Zealand, it had come from Germany I think.  That was exciting.

I recommend it to anyone who's looking for a fun, spending free, family (or non-family) activity.  tthumbs.gif

#19 Guest_Buy Me A Pony !_*

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

We're cachers and love it! There are a couple of really tricky ones we've done but we've mostly stuck to simple ones on our road trips. Fabulous way to break up really long drives. Our area also has quite a few good ones as we're surrounded by national parks. I'm planning to set one up next year.

#20 Red Cabbage

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

My new Son In Law has introduced us to Geocaching. We've checked the website and I'm keen to get the kids started.

Do I buy a handheld GPS as we don't have Iphones etc.

#21 Kristina13

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

I'm a public librarian in Adelaide and had never heard of geo-caching until I found out our branch library had a fake book in our reference collection with a geocache inside it!!! It even has a fake Dewey number on its spine and the library staff have just left it there for years. As I'm in charge of collections I'd better make sure no-one accidentally decatalogues it!!!! wink.gif

#22 Mummy Em

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

We have done a few, it's good fun!

#23 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Can someone explain what it is in simple terms please? Do you need to know about orienteering?

#24 Melissa4444

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

^^ What she said. ^^  I've heard of it, but only the word. Had no idea what it is.  But it sounds like something that Joel and my boys would absolutely love.

#25 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for reminding me how fun it is.   Haven't done any for years, looking forward to doin some with my son.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Why couples with daughters are more likely to divorce

Couples with daughters have higher divorce rates than those with boys. A new study reveals why that is the case.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.