Another Mother of the Year moment :S

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 bettymm

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

So i was at Coles today, pretty chuffed with myself for getting my 3 yr old to fit in the toddler seat , next to my 3 month old in the capsule bit of the shopping trolley.  All went well and was able to get my shopping done

I go down to the basement car park to unload everything and i COULD NOT for the life of me lift the 3 yr old out of the seat!! her legs kept getting caught and i just didnt have the height to manage it, she started getting more and more distressed and screaming to get out.  The only person around was a VERY tall trolley man , looked Sudanese , i think.  I ran over and asked if he could assist me in getting the child out and he comes over and  yanks her out by pulling one of her arms ohmy.gif !! OMG, she is fine and didnt cry or anything but it looked her arm was going to be pulled out of its socket!!

kicking myself driving home thinking how stupid it was asking a stranger to do that, but what else could i have done??

#2 DEVOCEAN

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

That happened with our youngest one day. Out of frustration I turned around and told her to get out herself. So she did. She got her legs out and stood up whilst I held on under her arms and then just lifted her down.

#3 Feral_Pooks

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Sounds like he was very helpful. I would have said no if I were him.

#4 No-pants Agnodice

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

To keep going with the 'youse are all racist' theme from the other thread - what does being Sudanese have anything to do with it?

#5 mygorgeousboy

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

That has happened to me too and my then 3yr old DS. In the end he got out himself but i was struggling for a while and just didn't have the height.  wink.gif

#6 bakesgirls

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (pookems85 @ 30/03/2012, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like he was very helpful. I would have said no if I were him.

Same here.

#7 LambChop

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

So, she's fine yeah ? She didn't cry...  and you have an issue because ??? why exactly ?

Edited to Add: The upset and distress was when the parenting help didn't work... (just in case your memory was adding that upset to the stranger assistance)

Very strange post...

Edited by LambChop, 30 March 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#8 bark

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

How is this a Mother of the Yr moment?

You needed help, you asked for it. Nothing wrong with that.

#9 bettymm

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

To keep going with the 'youse are all racist' theme from the other thread - what does being Sudanese have anything to do with it?

I knew that would come up! almost went back and edited it out, but i was just replaying what happened and typed as my memory went along.  Has nothing to do with it , i shouldhave just said, he was tall!!

Very strange post...

Yeah i guess, i just meant that after it happened , i felt bad for allowing that to happen  i guess, and was interested in whether others would ask a complete stranger to assist in physically moving their child.  I kinda did it in a bit of a panic without thinking.

i am surprised that some of you wouldnt help!! obviously , i asked him because he looked physically fit and able to life a child of that size and weight, i wouldnt have asked someone the same size as me

Edited by bettymm, 30 March 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#10 LambChop

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Allowing what to happen sorry ?  Her getting stuck or you having to ask for help ?  Its just that you had all this stuff implying that there was something insidious about the way the help was provided by the "Sudanese stranger" ....

If all your issue was meant to be, was that you felt bad for having to ask for help... then I say move on, there's no shame in misjudging things like "time for DD to not go in the trolley anymore because she is too big for me to get out".

I would have helped you, but I would be mighty offended if I read your post above as your version of the help - sorry, but, you really did make it sound like the guy was some sort of axe murderer....

#11 CuppaTea

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

I've found talking the childs shoes off sometimes helps as I find feet get stuck then the legs seem to as well...

On a lighter note - you might have bought some marg that you could have plied her legs with.. LOL

#12 bettymm

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

I would have helped you, but I would be mighty offended if I read your post above as your version of the help - sorry, but, you really did make it sound like the guy was some sort of axe murderer....

wow.  Certainly wasnt meant that way,  I am the one feeling bad for asking a stranger, its nothing against the kind man that helped me..  In all honesty it looked like that he just hadnt much experience with children, and how to handle them.

Which got me thinking, i kind of just expected him to know how to correctly lift a child ..of course not all  people are in contact with young chiildren 24 7 like us.  So i shouldnt have just expected him to.

but I would be mighty offended if I read your post above as your version of the help

ummm.. he came over and yanked her out by pulling on one arm... im not quite sure how i could explain this in any other way???  thats just what happened

On a lighter note - you might have bought some marg that you could have plied her legs with.. LOL

haha!!  Damn..if i didnt have a screaming 3 yr old to contend with i could have thought of this!!

Edited by bettymm, 30 March 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#13 Hashley

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

I imagine you tried to get your child out by pulling her with a bit of force. The man does the same thing, albeit successfully, and also without distressing the child, unlike your attempts and you have a problem?

#14 No-pants Agnodice

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (bettymm @ 30/03/2012, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which got me thinking, i kind of just expected him to know how to correctly lift a child ..of course not all  people are in contact with young chiildren 24 7 like us.

Um, what is the 'correct' way to lift a young child? I must have missed that topic at my antenatal class when they talked about the one objectively correct way to lift a 3 year old... As far as I can see, he got her out and she wasn't hurt or upset in any way - isn't that the 'correct' way to lift a child? Maybe he was worried about grabbing her under the arms because then he would be the tall scary Sudanese man grabbing a 3 yer olds chest?

As for spending time with kids automatically teaching you how to care for them.... Well plenty of parents still do dumb things with/to their kids. And being Sudanese, surely he started taking care of his 17 younger siblings at age three so would know exactly how to care for them?

ETA - sorry, I'm being a bit mean. The take home message is probably though that your reaction to what happened seems a bit OTT and paranoid, and makes it seem like you're transferring the scary (but hilarious!) moment of your child being stuck in a trolley onto some poor bloke who did exactly what you asked for!

Edited by MsN, 30 March 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#15 bettymm

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Again, no i dont have a problem with the man!

He went out of his way to help me and I thanked him, I didnt rant like a crazy woman that he could have dislocated her arm!  Its me , i felt bad and that i shouldnt have asked him at all.  

But yes, at the end of the day, no more rides in the trolley for my DD , unless DH is with me!!

#16 la di dah

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (MadameCatty @ 30/03/2012, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

Because people get upset if you lift them by an arm, or scoop around their butts, and here you are minding your own business and suddenly someone you don't know wants you to miraculously wrangle their toddler for them and you have no idea if they'll be reasonable or not.

Also, children are sometimes covered in jam.

I dunno, I could just see why a man, especially, would feel it was a no-win situation.

#17 bettymm

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

what is the 'correct' way to lift a young child?

Not lifting them by one arm.  2 arms under the arm pits i would think?

OMG  am really regretting not editing out the sudanese part!  Was just to give a description of the size and build of the man. i may sound racist again, but a lot of the Sudanese i have seen around my suburb are tall.  Umm thats all i was implying.

Edited by bettymm, 30 March 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#18 Peridot

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

Also, children are sometimes covered in jam.

So true! Or vegemite... laughing2.gif

#19 Procrastinator5000

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

It's true, they tend to be tall.

If she'd said 'he was tall, looked Canadian or something', nobody would care.

#20 scruff05

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

How funny, just because you mentioned the race of the man your getting your head bitten off. Dont worry about it.
I understood where you were coming from in mentioning his race and just saying it in that they are usually pretty tall guys. Im sure he went home and had a laugh about the short little white, green, purple or what ever colour lady that was struggling to get her child out of the trolly.
Dont stress i would have done the same thing.

#21 bettymm

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

yes, im sure he had a giggle about the mess i was in too!  i would have looked the sight struggling to get my hefty 3 yr old out! ( i am very short)

Would have felt awful for the guy if he had hurt her (unintentionally) , I just should have calmed down, and figured a way out myself.  oh well, live and learn and no harm done at the end of the day , was just one of those "what if" moments

#22 charliebean

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Lol, I've been there before OP I was so embarrassed. FWIW next time try lifting from behind instead of instead of from in front - it's much easier, if only I figured that out first.

Edited by charliebean, 30 March 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#23 bettymm

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

The take home message is probably though that your reaction to what happened seems a bit OTT and paranoid,

yeah, probably, had an incident last week, where same child fell off the tramp at a friends house and knocked herself out.  I wasnt watching at the time  sad.gif   So, i guess, i felt like oh no! not again, when it looked like her arm was going to be hurt (and it really did! not exaggerating that!)

#24 Feral_Pooks

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (MadameCatty @ 30/03/2012, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why?

QUOTE (la di dah @ 30/03/2012, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dunno, I could just see why a man, especially, would feel it was a no-win situation.

Yeah, pretty much. Also, he was at work- he's the trolley guy, right? Well my experience has been that while working, especially low-rung jobs, you're pretty much not meant to do anything that could result in you getting into trouble with the public, especially something not in your job description. In fact, I've been told off several times for touching lost children too much when working in a supermarket/discount store (as an aside, part of my job was collecting and assisting customers with trolleys, too). It can leave you wide open to losing your job if someone complained about something you did- sometimes I took the risk, I guess I had confidence that I could find another job if push came to shove, but it was still a risk to my income security if I did something like, for instance, give a hysterically crying 3 year old reaching his arms out to me a little hug or wipe his streaming face with a plain tissue (I got 'counselled' for that particular evil act). I'm tipping that the job is quite important to the trolley guy, and I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to risk losing it. I guess if he were just some guy in the car park, he'd have less to lose (although I can still see LDD's point). Also, they have quite demanding jobs with a lot of time pressures and he's taken time out of that to help someone when he didn't have to.

So basically I think he went above and beyond.

#25 CallMeFeral

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

Bizarre that everyone is going nuts just because you mentioned his race. Some threads just bring out the lunacy in EB.

Yes, I'd be freaked if someone picked one of my kids up by the arm.
No, you didn't do anything wrong, you probably felt pretty stuck.
No, if she's ok it's likely to be fine - sometimes I'm surprised at what can actually be done to children without hurting them - we had a lady (oooh from a different culture but if I mention it will everybody go nuts?) when I was a child who for a 'party trick' would lift us up by our heads. And then you've seen the baby swinging video that caused such a kerfuffle a year or so ago? Maybe the guy really HAD been around kids a lot, but not in a coddled Western country, and the way he did it was actually fine. Who knows.

Anyway, don't worry about it, alls well that ends well, even if it ends in an EB race riot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win Coles Little Explorer nappies for your toddler

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

'Why we called our daughter Wyatt'

Ashton Kutcher has spoken about how he and Mila Kunis chose their daughter's name - and why they've set up her social media accounts.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.