HOW DO YOU MAKE A DECISION THAT IS JUST SO DAMN HARD?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

With the pro-con list you've given, I'd be making the decision to move.  However, your reluctance sounds like it stems from living where you currently are for a huge chunk of time (36 years in the one area is a lifetime!).  The longer you live in a place, the less likely you are to want to break that connection and move, so your reluctance sounds very normal.

No move is necessarily life-long, although I do think it takes at least 2-3 years before you can say I have truly lived in a community & feel settled.  So, with that in mind, I'd be inclined to say "We'll move.  I will give it at least 3 years and then re-assess how my family and I have adapted to the change."  That's what we did with our last move.  It's been 2.5 years now and it was the right decision - although I didn't necessarily think that 9 months after we shifted.  Slowly but surely, you do make new friends and build a new life.

Then again, moving doesn't scare me.  To me, home is where the heart is - the rest is just geography.

Having a few doubts is common. However, if you think this will be the best move for you & the kids, then it probably is.

#27 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (purpleblackqueen @ 30/03/2012, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be looking at houses and discussing the possible job over the easter holidays, so If I put in an application wihile there, which I would have too, then should that also be approved over the same period, I would still then have to give 3 weeks notice here immediately. Then it will be a case of come back pack, sort, clean, etc etc

So really I need to make a decision soon, we are going up the Tuesday after easter, for just under 2 weeks.

realistically, you could possibly buy a couple of months with a new employer, claiming circumstances and the kids schooling.  I reckon with a new job, you'd easily be able to arrange that you could move in the mid-year school holidays.

Think of all possibilities, not just the worst case scenario.

#28 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (YodaTheWrinkledOne @ 30/03/2012, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
realistically, you could possibly buy a couple of months with a new employer, claiming circumstances and the kids schooling.  I reckon with a new job, you'd easily be able to arrange that you could move in the mid-year school holidays.

Think of all possibilities, not just the worst case scenario.

I was going to buy a month anyaway with employer, but I was referring to housing

I am also worried about mum- seeing the kids, she doesn't drive nor travel well.

Edited by purpleblackqueen, 30 March 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#29 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Another reason why I want to make a decision soon, is the kids have started both seeing a child counsellor/Psycologist and I dont want them to get to settled and then me upheave them in a few months and start again  with a new one.  I would rather make the decision now.

#30 Sally76

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hi, hope it is ok to post, you wouldnt "know" me in the eb sense but your moving costs seem very high.  Have you inquired about getting 'back load', when a van is returning to say QLD  or Maitland (or in between) with an empty load. Filling a van for a return trip is WAY cheaper for the customer.  Maybe you can enquire with QLD removal companies.  That is of course, if you decided to move.  Wishing you the best.

#31 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 30/03/2012, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$3000-4000 is insane for that move. It only cost us about $1000 (maybe a bit more) to move from Melbourne to Sydney.

That was a rough quote, they said they charge per hour for loading/unloading then the trip up and back. I was sent a moving assessment things where I have to wrtie everything down- how many boxes per room etc etc and number of stairs to get in and out of house at both ends etc.then I can get a better quote.

#32 Cacti

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Cheaper rent and family support would win it for me, I'd move.

#33 Mumsyto2

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 30/03/2012, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$3000-4000 is insane for that move. It only cost us about $1000 (maybe a bit more) to move from Melbourne to Sydney.

That what I was thinking.  We moved a distance of approx 80km .  Our contents are for a large 4 bedroom house, 2 living areas and study and lots of outside living stuff such as tables, chairs, general crap.  The place is full of stuff and we had around 200 boxes (approx 150 tea chest size and 50 book box size).  The place we were moving to was a nightmare in regards to access, a REALLY steep drive and the place was quite a way back from the street and the truck had to stay up on the street and the movers had to bring the whole lot down - not easy. They started at 7am and finished at 4.30pm with 3 men. It cost $1,500 and included insurance (general we did not need extra to cover antiques etc).

We have also moved locally and it cost $1000.  When we got quotes (6) for the local move they ranged from $1200 variable on the actual time used if we went by a fixed per hour rate through to $5500 at a fixed cost. We took the lowest and it ended up at $1000 going on the per hour rate with 3 men.  We found the more expensive rates were from people such as Grace etc and the cheaper movers were people who did not advertise on tv or hand out glossy brochures/packs or have corporate offices. So I would really look around and get a lot more quotes as $3000-$4000 is way to much for such a move.  Did they understand that you were packing everything yourself and they were not packing it all up and unpacking at the other end for you?

Also I take it that you don't have a piano or billiard table as these items do cause the cost to skyrocket.

#34 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (Mumsyto2 @ 30/03/2012, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That what I was thinking.  We moved a distance of approx 80km .  Our contents are for a large 4 bedroom house, 2 living areas and study and lots of outside living stuff such as tables, chairs, general crap.  The place is full of stuff and we had around 200 boxes (approx 150 tea chest size and 50 book box size).  The place we were moving to was a nightmare in regards to access, a REALLY steep drive and the place was quite a way back from the street and the truck had to stay up on the street and the movers had to bring the whole lot down - not easy. They started at 7am and finished at 4.30pm with 3 men. It cost $1,500 and included insurance (general we did not need extra to cover antiques etc).

We have also moved locally and it cost $1000.  When we got quotes (6) for the local move they ranged from $1200 variable on the actual time used if we went by a fixed per hour rate through to $5500 at a fixed cost. We took the lowest and it ended up at $1000 going on the per hour rate with 3 men.  We found the more expensive rates were from people such as Grace etc and the cheaper movers were people who did not advertise on tv or hand out glossy brochures/packs or have corporate offices. So I would really look around and get a lot more quotes as $3000-$4000 is way to much for such a move.  Did they understand that you were packing everything yourself and they were not packing it all up and unpacking at the other end for you?

Also I take it that you don't have a piano or billiard table as these items do cause the cost to skyrocket.

Yep they knew I was packing and the closet thing to that I have is a keyboard, which is coming in the car anyway.

Edited by purpleblackqueen, 30 March 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#35 itsaboysworld

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

its not an OTT quote. I recent paid $2,900 for a move of 15km's. They charge from the minute they leave their depot, so I was already two hours out of pocket there and for the move to be done in one day I required three men to load and unload.  This was the best quote I got.

#36 LK1

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Moving away from where you grew up is hard. It's hard to make new friends, and it takes a while to get settled, that's the honest truth.
BUT, I figure you wouldn't be thinking about moving if you didn't want to. If it was a clear no, then you would have crossed it off the list already.

I know that life has been really tough for you lately, maybe this is the fresh start that you need?

If you do move, my advice is, give it your all. try hard to build new friendships, do a short course so you can meet people, or join the country womens association, sounds silly but it's great to get your feet into a community.

#37 itsaboysworld

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (LK1 @ 30/03/2012, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Moving away from where you grew up is hard. It's hard to make new friends, and it takes a while to get settled, that's the honest truth.
BUT, I figure you wouldn't be thinking about moving if you didn't want to. If it was a clear no, then you would have crossed it off the list already.

I know that life has been really tough for you lately, maybe this is the fresh start that you need?

If you do move, my advice is, give it your all. try hard to build new friendships, do a short course so you can meet people, or join the country womens association, sounds silly but it's great to get your feet into a community.

I have to say also this is great advice. Being on the other side of town to the school community etc I didnt realise how out of the loop we were. I am now finally getting involved in school and the local community here where I didnt have the funds to do so earlier (petrol made it a no-no) and I feel finally like I am starting to belong a bit somehwere for the first time in my life.

#38 ubermum

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

That is quite a lot for the 270 km or so distance. I am sure you could get it cheaper with some more time to look around.

#39 LK1

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

By the way OP, it cost us that much to move with Grace from the Gold Coast to SA, so I would get another quote.

#40 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 30/03/2012, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahhh, that makes more sense if it's both ways. If you decide to move, do you know anyone who could drive a budget truck (or similar) to cut down on the cost?

still seems a little high, maybe ring around other companies too.

Yeah me. All you need is a normal car licence for the small ones. I could leave my kids with my inlaws up there, leave car down here at a mates house and drive the truck back and forth.

#41 Feral Cheryl

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Always a lot of jobs being advertised in the area from Maitland to Newcastle - part-time/full time office and admin jobs as well as the sector you are looking at working in. Wide variety of schools/doctors/sevices/after school care etc. Not far by train to the beaches and delights of Newcastle. Definitely warmer winters than the Southern Highlands. Easy access to any shop you need. Rentals MAY be tough - only because of the mining industry - but I don't know enough about that aspect. Look into backloads or self-drive removals - the price range you were tentatively quoted is from depot and return, so will always be more expensive than the other options.
Ultimately, only you can decide what best suits your circumstances.
I'm biased, I think the Maitland area has much to offer (I was there today) and would love to move down the valley; I didn't enjoy the Southern Highlands much when I was there - but that was years ago

#42 ~DrSeussRules~

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

Just do it.
Sounds to me liike you need a fresh start, all of you.
Kids will be fine.
I have a rough idea of what's gone on in your life over the past year or more and I think you need to move forward now. Past is past. For your childrens sake it's time to move forward.
G

#43 JennyH

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

Whilst I agree fresh start etc sounds great, I would err on the side of staying... moving takes a lot of energy and resettling under the best of circumstances - and you are already drained etc.

Don't they say make no major decisions for 6-12 months after a death?  I think when your DH's death was so sudden, and traumatic as well, that just getting by each day is the best option for now, if you can.

I know it might not be the answer you want, but for me I'd advise you to stay put and think about this later.  But I don't know you, or your depths of emotional energy, so if you have "got enough" to do this, then it could be great.... but I'd worry it's too much, too soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Let Australians adopt our children': asylum seekers

Pregnant asylum seekers on Christmas Island begged to have their children adopted by Australians as they became anxious about their future, new reports have revealed.

The moment I knew our family was complete

It?s funny how in a few short years you can change from desperately hoping you conceive to desperately hoping you don?t.

Should bars offer free pregnancy tests?

Researchers have placed free pregnancy tests in bar restrooms in an American state, hoping it will help raise awareness of foetal alcohol syndrome. Would it work here?

Parenting a crier

There are many reasons that babies cry, but there are certainly babies that cry more than others. They're the ones who let you know how they?re feeling by crying - a lot.

Buzz takes Elias to infinity and beyond

Elias Anderson was left disappointed after a lack of knowledge about disabled access meant he didn't get to see his hero when his mum took him to watch Disney on Ice. But now a private meeting has put a huge smile on the 11-year-old's face.

HECS-style loan suggested as alternative to paid parental leave

While Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme is looking unlikely, a prominent think tank has created an alternative suggestion.

Photos: Two dads meeting their newborn

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Introducing the million-dollar baby

Juke is only three weeks old, but he's joined a generation of children whose education costs could reach $1 million by the time they finish university.

The honour and heartbreak of rural midwifery

You never know what to expect when a baby is being born, but it's an honour to be there.

Does birth order influence our relationships?

New research indicates those born first stand a better chance of landing a loving, long-term relationship than their siblings. But is it for real, or just something fun to think about?

Late-night childcare not needed, parents say

The plan for childcare centres to operate around-the-clock is neither practical nor in demand, according to a nationwide survey.

Get the kids in the kitchen with cool play food sets

Show your little one how to eat healthily, even while they pretend!

The friend everyone needs on their first day of preschool

A little girl in Taiwan was homesick on her first day of preschool, but her friend was the perfect gentleman.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Help! My toddler is a head-banger

When he throws a tantrum, my 20-month-old often gets down on the floor and starts banging his head. What should I do?

Groom wows bride with Beyonce dance routine

A video of a "Crazy in Love" groom doing a coreographed dance with his groomsmen at his wedding has gone viral.

The carers who calm babies born with drug addictions

A special team of volunteers helps newborn babies who have withdrawal symptoms due to their mothers? opiate use.

Second time lucky: conceiving naturally after IVF

One in three Australian women who have their first baby with the help of assisted reproductive technologies, such as IVF, fall pregnant again without treatment within two years.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

Your new motherhood manifesto

There?s an ocean of literature about all manner of things relating to parenthood, but there?s not a lot written about how to survive and thrive as a mother. Here are my tips.

Great gender reveal cakes

The idea is simple: get the ultrasound tech to write your baby's gender on card in a sealed envelope, then pass it on to your baker for them to create a cake with blue or pink icing inside. Then host a gender reveal party to cut the cake!

Second time lucky: conceiving naturally after IVF

One in three Australian women who have their first baby with the help of assisted reproductive technologies, such as IVF, fall pregnant again without treatment within two years.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Help! My toddler is a head-banger

When he throws a tantrum, my 20-month-old often gets down on the floor and starts banging his head. What should I do?

Disabled boy's Disney disappointment

A Melbourne mum is angry that her disabled son missed out on seeing his hero Buzz Lightyear because staff at HiSense Arena did not know the wheelchair accessible route to their seats - which had already been given away.

Get the kids in the kitchen with cool play food sets

Show your little one how to eat healthily, even while they pretend!

Friendships under pressure

Whether you're old pals or fairly new acquaintances, even the strongest of friendships can be put to the test once you have kids. It's possible to ride out the rocky days - if you're sure it's worth it.

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Holiday Fun

No time to be bored!

Lots of School Holiday ideas, activities, things to do, places to visit, classes to take.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.