HOW DO YOU MAKE A DECISION THAT IS JUST SO DAMN HARD?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

Well how do you make a decision that is just so damn hard? I am sitting on the fence regarding whether to move or not.

I have reasons to stay and reasons to go. I want to make a decision soon, so that whichever way I go I can get my family settled.

Please help.....

Edited to Add: We are going to Maitland over the school holidays to visit family, and have a break, but I will be using that opportunity to look at houses etc. I would still have to give 3 weeks notice here and still have so much sorting, which I dont see the point of doing to then have to go through everything again to pack. Hence why I need to decide one way or the other quickly.

Edited by purpleblackqueen, 30 March 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#2 pratique

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Perhaps details are needed?

What are you + and -?

#3 suziej

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

With a list of pros and a list of cons - and then look at the things that are tangible and the things that you have to live with or without.

Tough one - good luck on your decisions (and hugs sorting out what goes on your list as no doubt a lot of the intangible are boxing up memories and dreams)

#4 mez70

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Sometimes the more you think things through the harder it gets and the more confused you become. I have always found my first initial response id usually the one to go with so if you were asked do you want to go or stay what would your immediate answer be?????

for every negative or reason not to do something there is also a positive so don't get caught up in all the detail. Make your decision then work through the detail using your decision as the basis eg with your mum and brother if you moved something needs to happen full stop..... Don't not move because it hasn't happened as while you are there it never will if that makes sense..
good luck

#5 niggles

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

I was listening to a child psychologist on the radio yesterday talking about how important it is to be 'real' for your kids by making decisions based on what you need. Really putting yourself first.

I imagine it's a very hard decision and I think a good place to start would be thinking about you. Which scenario is going to be better for you.  That's probably the best for your kids too. Everything else can be worked outso don't overcomplicate the decision with worry about the impacts on your kids and other people just yet.

#6 jorgo

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

answer the questions
can you afford to stay there- as things are
can you afford something else more easily ( eg is there something available thats cheaper and in as good or better an area in a good condition)  
can you fit and function in the somethign cheaper
have you asked the kids if they wanna try living in a new house " i thought it wuld be really cool to think about living closer to XXX YY ZZZ - woudlnt that be great?"  choose whatever they like most - school a friend a park whatever

#7 ubermum

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Go PBQ. Slightly warmer climate and not so damp may see you and the kids less ill. Also, then your extended family would have to have others care for them besides you. You need to focus on you and your kids. A fresh start in a new place where you have a job and a more suitable place to live might be just the thing you need.

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

in all seriousness, grab a piece of paper, draw a line down the middle & write the positives of the issue on the left & the negatives on the right.

If there is someone else you can boucne the ideas off, include them in this list making as well (kids included).

All the best!

#9 Gegemite

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

I think you've already had to make the hardest decision you could ever make PBQ (with your husbands life support) You can make this decision, you are strong and you've been proving it to yourself. Start a list of your pros and cons, not the kids just yours, yes it may be hard for them to move but kids are flexible and at the end of the day what is best for them is having a functioning, happy, stress free mum.

Good luck.

#10 AMPSyd

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

PBQ - for some reason to me this sounds like a great idea. I am guessing you do have family in the Maitland region or support people to help.

Kids can adapt.

Yes make that list - pros and cons and then sleep on it and see what answer comes to you in the morning.

I actually like this idea for you - not that I know you but I do follow your journey, the incredibly hard decisions you have had to make, and your "to do" lists.

Go for it - I just get the feeling that a new, fresh start will do you wonders.

Edited by AMPSyd, 30 March 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#11 CuppaTea

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

maybe looking online at places to live might assist you in making this decision?

#12 itsaboysworld

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

IT took me three years to finally make that move. In hindsight I probably could have done it a lot earlier and maybe been  better off but at the time the kids and I needed the stability of being in the same place and doing the same things in the same house until we felt we could move forward.

SOme people move immediately and never look back. Some never move. Its really down to what will work for you and your family.

I know how scary and frustrating it is with all these big decisions on your shoulders, with only you to deal with the fallout if its a mistake but in the end thats what life is for us all.

Dont let anyone push you or make the decisions for you, while scary, they are your decision and your mistakes to make and even though right now you probably feel like you cant afford to make mistakes you will anyway, we all do and we live with them and learn from them and make changes to improve things.

Best wishes on your decision.

#13 LambChop

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

I agree with the others, try not to over think, trust how you feel.  If there were no negatives, what would you choose ?  Where do you want to live ?

#14 toosenuf

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

would moving enhance you life?

does the area you are moving to offer all that you need?  eg schooling, jobs, entertainment, rentals (assuming this is what you would need), public transport, infrastructure.

Is it a warmer climate?  PP menitoned this, Maitland is still very cold in the winter.  On this point, you could check out the whether on the BOM : http://www.bom.gov.au/ have a look to see wha the whether has been lately,

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tab...cw_061388.shtml

(i think) this is the average whether stats for maitland for the past year  

HTH

#15 Catolyn

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

I think it would be a great way for you to break away from all the things weighing you down where you are now. From what you've told us before, that's quite a heavy load.

What do the kids think?

#16 HollyOllyOxenfree

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

it's a tough call. I'm guessing you're thinking of moving for better housing options, better job options and more family support? these are all big pluses given the loss of your DH, particularly the family support (assuming it is in a positive manner)

on the other hand, there would be upheaval for your kids, and leaving the house where they last saw their dad. I don't know how long you've been where you are, and how many memories are tied up there for you and the kids, but I would imagine it's a big thing to consider.

I guess you need to work out what has the greater weight for yourself and the kids. if I was in your position I'd probably be talking to a professional about how it might impact you and the kids emotionally to leave your current home, and weigh that up against the potential improvement to lifestyle

good luck PBQ, I'm sure it's a tough decision

#17 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

This is what I have come up with:

MOVING

PROS

*Cheaper Rent
*Family and Support
*New Start for me and kids
*What DH wanted
*Away from the crap happening here
*Job
*Warmer- so Less sick
*Mum having to deal with her own stuff for a change  wink.gif

CONS
*Leaving my Family/Friends
*Leaving the town I grew up in and have spent all my life.
*Cost of moving - quoted $3000-$4000.
*Kids changing schools/Leaving Friends (Hayley doesn't want to)
*Kids leaving the house where they last saw there dad.

Edited by purpleblackqueen, 30 March 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#18 wallofdodo

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

I weigh things up, then usually go with my gut. Listen to your gut it knows.

#19 LambChop

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

You haven't included what you want Liz, where do you want to live out of the two ?

#20 ubermum

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

You will one day have to leave that house because you don't own it.
Hayley will be going to highschool in a year or two (?) so her friends will change anyway.

To me, it looks like the pros are winning.

#21 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (LambChop @ 30/03/2012, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You haven't included what you want Liz, where do you want to live out of the two ?

That is what I can't decide, I have lived in this area for 36 years and never left.

#22 yabbadabbadoo

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

The pros definitely outweigh the cons in my opinion.  The cons all appear to be emotional ones (except of course the money to move) which hopefully in time you can all overcome.  With potentially a better lifestyle in Maitland, you won't have so much time to dwell on the past.  If you stay, you will never know and al the negative emotions will take longer to fade.

#23 LambChop

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

What would the timing of the move be ?  When do you feel you need to make a decision ?

#24 Maple Leaf

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

Your pros list is looking good to me! I would go. Especially if your DH wanted that anyway.

As you don't own your house, you will be leaving it at some point down the track so I certainly wouldn't be staying because of that. Take a lot of photos and the kids can make a scrapbook of memories before they leave?

Living in one area your whole life is quite amazing, I don't know if that's a good thing or bad! Time for a chance I think...

#25 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (LambChop @ 30/03/2012, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What would the timing of the move be ?  When do you feel you need to make a decision ?

I will be looking at houses and discussing the possible job over the easter holidays, so If I put in an application wihile there, which I would have too, then should that also be approved over the same period, I would still then have to give 3 weeks notice here immediately. Then it will be a case of come back pack, sort, clean, etc etc

So really I need to make a decision soon, we are going up the Tuesday after easter, for just under 2 weeks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.