• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 One Wish

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Edited by One Wish, 19 April 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#2 ubermum

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Relax. Don't get ahead of yourself just yet. Many multiple pregnancies don't eventuate....just like the one in my belly. It started out as twins, but by the second scan at 8 weeks (I had pain and some bleeding at 5 weeks, hence the scan and bloods), there was only one sack and one heartbeat.

#3 Triplets......

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Congratulations on your pregnancy!  I have 1y/o triplets.
I was not put on bed rest.  Still walking around right to the end. My ob strongly advised csection.  Said it was the safest option.My pregnancy was event free.  The risk for me were higher chance of gestational diabetes, pre eclampsia, loosing one if not all of the bubs, twin to twin transfusion, early labour.  None happened.I had three healthy bubs at 34 weeks and 1 dayNo ongoing medical problems, that we know of.
34 weeks is the longest they would let me go.  I focused on that number and three healthy bubs to take home.  There are quite a few other mums around that have done it too.
I changed my diet and exercise habits.  If you want to know exactly what I did let me know.  

#4 twinboys

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

What state do you live in??
AMBA - Australian multiple birth association has higher order multiples (HOM - triplets or more) contacts in each state.
They can help with questions like yours and once the babies are born can help you with resources - volunteers, bulk formula and nappies etc.

#5 domestically~challenged

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hello original.gif 5 weeks is very early for a scan and hard to see exactly what's going on - it also depends a lot on how experienced the sonographer (?) was.

In the early days mine looked like 3 sacs (triplets) but the third sac was a subchronic hematoma. My OB loved to "joke" about this.

Best of luck with your next scan and let us know how it goes.

#6 *Spots*

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

I have almost 5 year old triplets original.gif I finished up work at 29 weeks then was told to rest at home but wasn't 'put' on bed rest, I had my three at 36 weeks my pregnancy was problem free, had no choice and was told I would have a c-section as it was the safest way and now I have happy, healthy almost 5 year olds original.gif

I was told that the doctors have to let you know about selective reduction, it wasn't an option for us as they were all healthy...would of considered if there were health issues.

Congratulations and best of luck original.gif

#7 lilymurray

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Hi, my triplets will be 7 in August so I can help original.gif

I was about 6-7 weeks pg when I first found out I was expecting triplets, its a huge shock isn't it! I remember the joy and the panic, its alot to go through all at once isn't it!

My OB gave us pretty much the same advice as yours is giving you. I was told at my first scan (6-7 w) there were enough risk for a singleton let alone triplets. I then remember going into my 8 weeks appt  feeling a little more relaxed only to have to sit there & listen to the finer details of selective reduction, then was told if I was still pg at 12 weeks they would then take the pg seriously. When I was still pg at 12 weeks my Dr explained all the risks to me & then I managed to try & enjoy my pg as much as I could before things turned pear shaped.

Now to answer your Q's original.gif

- were you put on bed rest (if so from how many weeks)? Yes, my OB doubted my ability to carry a triplet pg from the start so asked me to go on mat leave from 12 weeks. I was on 'at home' bed rest from 12 weeks. My OB had me attending scans to check my cervcal length fortnightly & I was placed in hospital on strict bedrest  by 25 week when my cervix measured 2cm. My cervix went down to 1cm at which point I had a stitch put in. I remained in hospital on bedrest for the duration of my pregnancy.

At the beginning of my pg I spoke to a HOM advisor who told me I should exepect anywhere from 2-7 weeks in hospital on bedrest. I ended up with 6 weeks, but you should prepare yourself for some degree of bedrest.

- how far along in your pregnancy did you get before delivering? I got to 31 w 4 d, but I remember being told when I was pg that the average gestation for triplets was 32-33 weeks.

- does triplets mean automatic c-section? It depends. If the triplets are your first, then I'd say yes. I do know of women who have had a sucessfull vaginal delivery in a hospital with triplets, but all of these people have had successfull & straight forward deliveries with thier previous births.

- what risks did you and the babies face? The biggest risk is prematurity. The complications I faced were:
-Short cervix (which will probably be monitored continually through your pg, I had fortnightly scans)
-Gestational diabetes
-Obstetric cholestasis (which was what resulted in my early delivery in the end)

The gestational diabetes wasn't too bad as it could be easily managed. The short cervix & OC were my biggest risks as they put put me at risk of early delivery. I was luck that the suture in my cervix worked but I was advised that there is always the risk that it wouldn't work.  I was lucky that it did work, but in the end my early deliver was a result of the OC. I was also starting to show symptoms of Pre eclampsia aswell.

- did you deliver three healthy children? yes, but it was a long road in the NICU & then special care nursery & we had plenty of issues along the way (mostly ongoing feeding issues plus we also had a minor brain bleed that luckily didn't result in any longer term issues). My babies were 1.185kg, 1.550kg & 1.555kg so it wasn't till they were 38 weeks equivalent that they came home. I spent all day, every day for about 7 weeks in the NICU/SCN before they came home.

My OB told me that what is important is getting past 30 weeks. Before this the risks are so much higher.

- do your triplets have any ongoing medical conditions? No, but I consider us lucky original.gif

Let us know how you go over the next few weeks/months. Please keep in touch & If you have any more Q's please don't hesitate to ask original.gif

ETA: I wanted to add that I highly recommend the book 'When you're expecting Twins, triplets or Quads' by Dr Barbara Luke  & Tamar Eberlein. I purchased this book from Amazon when I was expecting & I highly recommend it. This book is packed with stats & realistic info, details on the risks & what you can do to reduce them.

Edited by lilymurray, 01 April 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#8 Cherish

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I didnt have triplets but my good friend did.
She had 10 weeks to adjust to the idea she was having triplets. She wasnt put on bedrest, and carried till 37+(or+5, i cant quite remember)
She had a c section, she would have been keen for a vag
Birth but it didnt happen.
Good luck original.gif

#9 4*shining*stars

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

My GGG triplets are now 5 and a half. During pregnancy, I was told that 2 were sharing a placenta, making the pregnancy a little more high risk. However, placental testing after birth found them to be tri-amniotic tri-chorionic triplets (each baby had its own placenta and 2 sacs each). DNA testing at 18 months confirmed that all 3 were genetically identical, so the triplets were monozygotic (one egg).

were you put on bed rest (if so from how many weeks)?
No.

how far along in your pregnancy did you get before delivering?
33+6. Triplet 2 showed signs of IUGR so decision was made to deliver. Since 34 weeks is deemed full term for triplets, I was very happy to get to that stage, anything after would have been a bonus. In fact, the MFMS had actually checked Tr1 and Tr3 who were doing great and told me that I could go another 2 weeks. It wasn't until Tr2 was found to have not grown in the previous 2 weeks that he changed his mind and I delivered 2 days later!!

does triplets mean automatic c-section?
No. My MFMS gave me the choice, and my triplets would have been VBAC had I have said yes.

what risks did you and the babies face?
We had a boring, straight forward pregnancy other than the fact that I was carrying 3 babies at once!!

did you deliver three healthy children?
Yes. The smallest spent the afternoon in NICU (was only 1465g) but was downgraded to SCN quickly. By day 5 or so, all 3 were in open cots with only feeding tubes. By day 8, they were all on suck feeds and all home by day 18. We were allowed to go home even though my smallest was only 1700g as there was nothing that I was doing in hospital that I couldn't have done at home!!

do your triplets have any ongoing medical conditions?
No.

We were very blessed to have no complications either during pregnancy or any time after. I guess it doesn't happen very often, but you can have a high risk pregnancy where nothing can go wrong.

Good luck with your pregnancy original.gif

Edited by 4*shining*stars, 18 April 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#10 tonyali

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

I don't get on here very often, I hope you have some more information about your pregnancy now and a better idea of the way forward.  My triplets are 4.5 years now and I still remember the day they suggested selective reduction, it's a tough decision.  There's a support group on Facebook called HOM Families of Australia that you might like to connect with.

Ali

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.