Prudence? Thoughts please :)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Bubbymania

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Interested in your thoughts on the name Prudence. If you had to describe what style you think it is, what word/s word you use?

And what middle names do you think might go nicely with it?!

TIA x

#2 Etcetera

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

My sister is Prudence Clare.

#3 la di dah

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

I like it. I would describe it as:

Virtue name
Vintage
Ladylike but not ulta-girly

I would like it with a middle name like Blythe, Claire, Jane, Ivy, or similar. Depends a lot on the last name though. Prudence James can have a longer middle name than Prudence Wojciechowski.

#4 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Very much NMS. Can't get past the prude / prudish sound.

Style - I think it's a virtue name in an era where that virtue is out of fashion.

Sorry OP.

#5 niggles

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

I have very strong positive associations with Prudence. I see it as a strong name with a quirky bent.

#6 niggles

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Dabri @ 29/03/2012, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very much NMS. Can't get past the prude / prudish sound.

Style - I think it's a virtue name in an era where that virtue is out of fashion.

Sorry OP.

How are you defining prudence that it's a quality not in fashion? I'd love to have more prudence.

#7 la di dah

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (niggles @ 29/03/2012, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are you defining prudence that it's a quality not in fashion? I'd love to have more prudence.

I think she's gone off with the "prudish" association, which I can kind of see, but I like "prudent" enough to not mind, and also watched Charmed at a young and impressionable age and have a crush on Shannen Doherty as well.

#8 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Fingers working faster than brain. Blame the lack of sleep (DD teething).

Meant that virtue names are out of fashion.

That and a connection to prudish.

Won't bother correcting as it's already been quoted.

#9 Bubbymania

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Etcetera @ 29/03/2012, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My sister is Prudence Clare.

Etcetera, what does your sister think of her name?! I guess I can't ask what your name is, do you have any other sisters? If so are you able to share their name/s?

Just curious to know what other names the parents of a 'Prudence' chose original.gif

Edited by Bubbymania, 29 March 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#10 la di dah

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Dabri @ 29/03/2012, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Grace/Faith/Hope/Felicity are in fashion and to some extent Verity/Amity are rising? Constance/Temperance/Prudence aren't super popular but unless I've become geographically dislocated again and they're only popular in the States, I wouldn't say virtue names are unpopular at all?

(and I love most of them)

Am I unstylish, Dabri? *sniffle*

#11 ms flib

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

It reminds me of the Beatles song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ppmdvXsMBE

and this cover by Sioxsie and the Banshees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwVURcWaFRM...feature=related

I love Prudence but not Prue....

#12 Guest_Starletta_*

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

I like it.

I know a Prudence Catherine

#13 libbylu

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Not a huge fan.  I also think it sounds a bit too much like prude/prudish even though Prudence is a different word.  But then, I am not a fan of virtue names like Patience, Grace, Hope, Felicity or Charity either.  The last two sound a bit prettier, but still NMS.

#14 Bubbymania

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (ms flib @ 29/03/2012, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It reminds me of the Beatles song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ppmdvXsMBE

and this cover by Sioxsie and the Banshees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwVURcWaFRM...feature=related

I love Prudence but not Prue....

Ms Flib, I was just about to google to song after reading about the association on another website so thanks for the link... I'll check it out now original.gif

And I'm with you, love Prudence but not Pru/Prue!

Edited by Bubbymania, 29 March 2012 - 07:58 PM.

#15 .MrsM.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

my sister is a Prudence original.gif

but never ever goes by that, always by Pru

Edited to add, she doesn't have a middle name, cant comment on that

Edited by jm2505, 29 March 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#16 Etcetera

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

I *think* my sister was named after the Beatles song.

She really likes it. She's always been Pru (no e). I call her Pruie original.gif

The worst teasing she got was being called Prune by a boy in my year, but being the awesome big sister I am, I out a stop to that. wink.gif

#17 WinterIsComing

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

For a little girl? Honestly?

Yuck.

#18 FeralMinx

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

I like it lots.  I love prue too.

#19 Studybug

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Yup "Dear Prudence won't you come out to play?"  A beatles association can't be too traumatic can it?

I think it's a little cute - strong, feminine, different for these days.  

I probably wouldn't use it for my daughter but that's because I like "boys" names for girls.  Anyway, if you love it, who cares what anyone else thinks?!

Edited by Studybug, 29 March 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#20 caesie'n'linc

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

I quite like the name Prudence original.gif  I've met a few of them over the years and they have all been lovely.
Not sure how I'd describe it, I'm not good with that stuff LOL  I either like a name or I dont original.gif

QUOTE (la di dah @ 29/03/2012, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like it with a middle name like Blythe, Claire, Jane, Ivy, or similar. Depends a lot on the last name though. Prudence James can have a longer middle name than Prudence Wojciechowski.

I also find it amusing when a random surname from childhood pops up somewhere unexpected LOL  Do you know someone with that name la di dah?  Just being nosey biggrin.gif

#21 Ianthe

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

The real b**ches in English kids books I read as a kid always seemed to be Prudence. I cannot warm to it.

#22 4kidlets

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

There are some virtue names  I quite like - Grace, Faith, Hope, Joy, Harmony - but I dont really like Prudence.

#23 niggles

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (Dabri @ 29/03/2012, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, gotcha. See I like the name so much my mind didn't even think of prudish. Maybe because the Prudence I know is very lovely and hip and gorgeous and works for Vogue etc etc.

#24 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Gaah, don't tease the sleep-addled one!

I would argue that Grace, Hope and faith are chosen less for their virtuous qualities and more for their aesthetic as one syllable middle names / connection to Grace Kelly-esque charm / link to family names so wouldn't class them in the virtue category.

Names like Prudence, Constance and Temperance - I've not heard given to a baby (celeb or in real life) for about 30 years.

Fully aware that a lot of people will jump in with examples and I will have missed something obvious so would like to bow out in a nothing-to-see-here kind of way. As you were.

PS - I got over Charmed when they brought in Paige - given the premise of the show was that generations could gain in magical strength until there were three sisters in a generation, and they would be "the Charmed ones" - to have a half sister on the charmed side would thus mean that this generation were not the Charmed ones after all? Especially since they could have easily done something cool like have Prue swap bodies with a demon and the Charmed ones be unable to reverse the spell...

But anyway.

#25 la di dah

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (caesie'n'linc @ 29/03/2012, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also find it amusing when a random surname from childhood pops up somewhere unexpected LOL  Do you know someone with that name la di dah?  Just being nosey biggrin.gif

Yeah, I know quite a few interesting Eastern European names. That one was just someone I knew once, but I'm related to a lot of Russian/Polish etc. named people who's names end in -wicz and -ski and so on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.