Hen's party- who pays in this situation?
Party organisers are not bridesmaids

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Eleni_J

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi all, I need opinions on a situation I've found myself in.

Background: Bride to be is a relative of mine. Myself and one of bride's friends will be bridesmaids. Two other friends, assuming they would be asked to be bridesmaids, started planning the hens party some time ago but have not made any solid plans and have not booked anything yet. Bride broke the news that they wouldn't be bridesmaids, they were disappointed but asked if they could still plan the party- yes- all good.

Now, the party planning girls are asking us to cough up for the whole cost of the (already planned) party, because we are bridesmaids of course and it's just the 'done thing'. So, WDYT? Bridesmaids pay, party planners pay or split the bill 4 ways??

#2 :-monkeymum-:

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

IMO for a Hens Night cost should be divided by all coming plus a bit extra to "cover" the Bride.

I don't think Bridesmaids or 1 or 2 people should cover all cost, especially as Bridesmaids are expected to pay for alot of things ie dress/shoes just to be apart of the Brides day.

What has already been planned ?

#3 *mylittleprince*

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

I wouldn't pay for someone else had planned for unless it was within my budget and reasonable. Otherwise look at other options, it doesn't always have to cost a lot of money. A simple dinner where each person pays for themselves and you and the other bridesmaid split the bill for the bride is an option.

#4 Mercurial

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Any hens party I've attended everyone has paid their own way - adding a small amount extra to cover the bride's night.  

Why would the bridesmaids pay for everyone?

#5 2-beautiful-boys

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Depends on what/where the party is and how much. Mine started at a restaurant for dinner and say for example it was $30 a head, all people attending paid $35 a head to cover my dinner and drinks.

If it's an expensive party like overnight somewhere I don't think it is fair for the bridesmaids to pay themselves.

I paid for my bridesmaids dresses/hair/makeup for my wedding because I don't think it should cost someone a fortune to be a bridesmaid. It's not their wedding!

Edited by 2-beautiful-boys, 29 March 2012 - 05:45 PM.

#6 emiboo

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

With my hen's night, the bill was split across all of the guests, but then we only had dinner and went to karaoke lol. We didn't do anything expensive, so each person only had to pay maybe $3 extra to cover my dinner and karaoke. Bridesmaid had to pay for a few extra things like cheap decorations and feather boas and plastic tiaras.

How much is the final bill expected to cost?

#7 zande

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Any hens party I've attended everyone has paid their own way - adding a small amount extra to cover the bride's night.

Why would the bridesmaids pay for everyone?

This.

#8 Always amazed!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Everyone paied there own way at my hens night. Well except for the stripper my mum, sister and a few others put in for that!

Every hens night I have been on I have paied my own way also.

#9 Eleni_J

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

**UPDATE** More details:

The plan is to hold the party at one of their houses, high tea followed by drinks etc. They already plan on charging guests to attend but had a significant shortfall in funds which they want us to make up.

#10 carolinej

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I thought that everyone attending split most of the cost, and organisers pay the remainder.

#11 Feral Nicety

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

I'd be thinking they need to re-do their budget then.

#12 Stellajoy

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Readjust how much everyone owes and charge the new amount .

#13 blueberrymuffin

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Bad luck for them, their fault for poor planning.

I wouldn't be paying more than your fair share, plus a bit to cover the bride.

Edited by blueberrymuffin, 29 March 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#14 DEVOCEAN

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

I would pay whatever they are charging, and nothing more except my share of the brides cost.

#15 carolinej

I wouldn't pay for a party I didn't plan!  You are either a guest or a planner....

#16 IsolaBella

All Hens/Bucks we have been to have been a pay your own way (with extra added in for bride).

Some have been crazy costs (up to $200).

#17 baddmammajamma

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Mercurial @ 29/03/2012, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This

QUOTE (Eleni_J @ 29/03/2012, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
**UPDATE** More details:

The plan is to hold the party at one of their houses, high tea followed by drinks etc. They already plan on charging guests to attend but had a significant shortfall in funds which they want us to make up.

QUOTE (Fancy and Epic @ 29/03/2012, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be thinking they need to re-do their budget then.

This.

I would start with telling them to cancel the Chippendale stripper (or other cheesy high expense item) that they've booked. What type of party have they planned that led to a "significant shortfall in funds?!"

#18 Stellajoy

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

How much can a high tea and
Drinks at someone's house cost?

#19 **Xena**

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Stellajoy @ 29/03/2012, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much can a high tea and
Drinks at someone's house cost?

That's what I'm wondering!

Every Hen's Night I have been too their has been a cost per head and Bridesmaids covered any exra little things ie games and decorations.

If there was ever a shortfall in money then the person organising it covered it.

#20 *lightning

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

You have played no part in the party planning, you are a guest not a host. I would only pay as a guest and any shortfall means the party planners need to put in the money themselves or change the party plan.

#21 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (Eleni_J @ 29/03/2012, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all, I need opinions on a situation I've found myself in.

Background: Bride to be is a relative of mine. Myself and one of bride's friends will be bridesmaids. Two other friends, assuming they would be asked to be bridesmaids, started planning the hens party some time ago but have not made any solid plans and have not booked anything yet. Bride broke the news that they wouldn't be bridesmaids, they were disappointed but asked if they could still plan the party- yes- all good.

Now, the party planning girls are asking us to cough up for the whole cost of the (already planned) party, because we are bridesmaids of course and it's just the 'done thing'. So, WDYT? Bridesmaids pay, party planners pay or split the bill 4 ways??

In my experience, either the party planners cough up whole lot, or they divvy out costs between all those attending (except bride to be).

#22 JustBeige

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

IMO for a Hens Night cost should be divided by all coming plus a bit extra to "cover" the Bride.

I dont know what plant they are living on, but its not the same one as everyone else.

Are they nasty or vindictive OP?  they may be doing this to try and show you up somehow.... "look at me... arent I wonderful... I'm not a bridesmaid but I planned this party... isnt it divine...."  type of thing.

#23 Eleni_J

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

FWIW they are asking for an extra $500+ from us. I am thinking some serious budget cutting is in order.

QUOTE (JustBeige @ 29/03/2012, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are they nasty or vindictive OP?  they may be doing this to try and show you up somehow.... "look at me... arent I wonderful... I'm not a bridesmaid but I planned this party... isnt it divine...."  type of thing.

Actually i think you've hit the nail on the head here original.gif Further discussions have resulted in them refusing outright to pay any more than the guests are being charged, I think out of spite for not being chosen as a bridesmaid. They want the fun of party planning and to be seen as being such great hostesses, without actually hosting???

Ugh, messy. this is why I didn't do the whole 'bridesmaids' thing for my wedding.

#24 Just A Mum

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

"FWIW they are asking for an extra $500+ from us."

OUCH...

When i was a bridesmaid we planned a pre dinner party with drinks at the brides house with a stripper and it no way near cost us that much. The 3 bridesmaids paid for the decorations and games but asked each person to put in $10. for "entertainment". No one had any issues paying that. Dinner was at a Mexican place which people where invited to come to as a cost to themselves.

How many people are invited to the party ??

#25 Lainskii

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

If they are asking for that much I'd be inclined to ask for the party plan with an itemised list of all the costs. You can then 'budget cut' for them.

I can't fathom what would be costing an 'extra' $500 if they are already charging guests and there is no way you should be paying. How much are the guests paying? If you are providing proper cocktails etc then the guests shouldn't mind paying a bit extra.

It all sounds a bit fishy to me, especially if it is being hosted at one of their houses.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.