Strep B positive
What does this mean for me and baby?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

I am almost 38 weeks pregnant and just got a call from ostetrician's office to say that I am positive for sprep b.

All I know this means that I need to have antibiotics during labour. I have a few questions:

- How are the antibiotics administered?
- If I need a canular for them, does this mean ill need to be hooked up to the machine the whole time? I want an active labour and hate the thought of being on the iv machine.
- What is the risk to the baby if I do get the antibiotics?
- Is there any good reason to refuse the antibiotics?

Any other info would be great.

Thanks original.gif

#2 ingrid74

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Can't help too much but what I can tell you:

Im also strep b and will have the same should I go in to labour before planned c-section.
Antibiotics go into an IV line in your arm. I would guess that would mean a little bit of limited movement but one would think you should be able to have a portable IV line to wheel around.
As for risks to baby....Bubs can catch Strep B through the vagina on delivery and it is potentially fatal to baby. There is at least one other regular on EB that unfortunately lost her baby to Strep B. On that basis alone I would think there is no good reason to refuse the antibiotics.

#3 Red Cabbage

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

I was positive for Strep B for the birth of my 3yo, I was also induced so limited to the bed anyway and didn't notice the extra line.

I was negative for my last birth, so didn't have the line, but had a very active birth, I don't think an extra line would have changed anything.

Good luck.

#4 MrsWright

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

If you have the time/inclination you might want to see if you can get hold of a copy of "Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering" which has a whole section on Strep B. I read it the other day - but can't remember what it said, sorry! Had a lot of research included about risks to mother and baby.

#5 bigglet

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

I was positive for Strep B for 2 of my births - they just gave me antibiotics through a needle or drip. It was no problem - I was still able to move around and was quite active during labour.

An EB parent lost their baby by contracting Strep B and I always feel for them and think about it whenever someone asks about it. Because of this I wouldn't refuse the antibiotics.

#6 Alwayswantingmore

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

My DS who is 9weeks today got Group B Strep from me. He went from being a happy, healthy baby to a very sick baby very, very quickly. My labour was quick. My waters broke only 5 minutes before he was born so there was no time for me to get antibiotics. After he was born I was told there was no chance of him getting sick because the birth was so quick. Usually it is risky for the baby if you have prolonged rupture of membranes, which I did not have.
Unfortunately we were very unlucky and he did get sick. He ended up in Special care and I came home without my baby  sad.gif

He is fine now because the hospital staff diagnosed him so quickly. He got antibiotics as soon as they realised he was sick and he has now made a full recovery.

I would never refuse antibiotics if it could sop my baby from getting sick and potentially dying.

#7 babybrain

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

It is administered through a drip and one dose goes for about 20 minutes. Generally they would put it in as soon as you are in labour.

I was positive with both my boys and it did not get in the way of an active labour at all. Also I have a reaction to penicillin, so I got a different antibiotic. I think the penicillin one is even quicker.

#8 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Wow very scary to hear that babies can die from this ohmy.gif Chubbles, Im sorry this happened to your litle boy, but relieved to hear he is recovering well.

Thanks for the info, I certainly wont be refusing antibiotics, and hopefully the iv wont be too cumbersome and they can unhook me between doses of AB.

Thanks again original.gif

#9 tinkster23

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

You should only need one 30 min dose every 6 hours or so, so its not going to inhibit your movement too much

You should be able to unhook inbetween.

The risk to the baby is if you refuse them, and no, there is no good reason not to have them

#10 wallywonda

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

Iv had it with both my babies. with ds i was induced so got it once that happened and then every 6hours. So  got the shot 3 times I was still able to move around the room, just hooked up made it hard with labour. With dd, was induced again, so got the shot only once as she came out 2hrs later. I didnt have anything hooked up to me so was alot easier this time. They do look out for signs once the baby is born, also

#11 JJ98

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

I was neg for DS but pos for DD and I too was scared of the effects of the antibiotics would have on her.  

Having had a quick labour with DS I was also told if there wasn't time to get all the antibiotics into my system then they would give bub a dose when she was born, this concerned me even more.  I figured it would be better if it had to be done, for me to be the one to get the dose.

Anyway it turned out that I went to hospital late arvo as i was suspicious my waters were leaking, and they were, but nothing else was happening. They wouldn't let me leave and the 3 doses of antibiotics were administered via the cannula into my hand every 6 hours I think it was (6pm,12am and 6am) so I wasn't "hooked up" to anything, so my mobility wasn't restricted at all.

Worked out well for bub as still no indication of labour until OB broke my waters in morning and then DD was born less than 3 hours later.

As PP have said even though it probably is unlikely your bub would contract strep B, the consequences if bub does can be terrible so personally I wouldn't risk it.

Goodluck

JJ

#12 allyire

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

I had group b strep with both babies. The first I had a cannula for an induction anyway so they administered antibiotics through that.

The second time I went through a birth centre, they gave me a pill to take at home in case my waters broke - which they did. I then had to make sure I went into the centre within 24 hours of my waters breaking (my labour started about 10 hours later so I went in then). They then gave me injections every 4 hours or so - but no cannula needed!

#13 suline

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

OP also check with your OB what he considers adequate cover.

How many doses would he like you to have before the baby is born, how soon prior to birth etc.

Some places, if you don't have adequate cover before the baby is born, or meet certain other risk factors, recommend screening your baby following birth, and administering antibiotics (by iv cannula or injection) to your baby, and wait for the blood results to show if the group b strep has been transmitted or not. (usually 48hrs)

Your ob should be able to go over their policy/hospital policy with you.

#14 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Suline, I am actually a public patient doing shared care with the obstetrician. So he wont be attending the birth.

When his office called they didnt mention needing anything prior to going into labour.

I am seeing my midwives late next week - do you think I need to do anything before that? I dont want to take any risks with the baby sad.gif

Also, I would definately know if my waters had broke, wouldn't I? There is always a lot of mucousy stuff in my undies (sorry for TMI) ...but I would know if it happened wouldnt I?

Also, is being strep b positive a reason not to use an epi-no? I have been using one but stopped when I got the positive result just in case.

#15 Soontobegran

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

You will most probably just have a small cannula in your arm. You do not have to be hooked up to an IV line on a pole unless you are having IV fluids for another reason.
I can't see why you shouldn't use an epi-no. If your membranes are intact your baby is safe.

#16 suline

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

You don't need to do anything prior to your next visit. The midwives should be able to cover the hospital policy of monitoring you and your baby etc.

Most women know when their membranes rupture, its usually a pretty big gush. If you get a bit of a warm trickle,  it could be a slow leak. You just need to call up your Ob or head into the hospital to get it checked out - no need to worry.

I would still use the epi-no, I can't see any problems with that!

#17 runnybabbit

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I was Strep B positive but bub came early (37w2d) and because it was the Easter long weekend, the hospital and obs hadn't received the lab results yet.

We were down south on a dirty romantic getaway when my membranes ruptured, anyhoo, so by the time we got to the hospital and they phoned the lab and realised I was Strep B positive, it had been six hours post membranes rupturing and the baby had been exposed.

They did respiratory, ear and GI swabs when he was born, and he had a course of oral antibiotics (five days). His swabs came back positive but he never showed any signs of being ill because he had his first antibiotic dose when he was about an hour old. Not ideal but that's okay.

The only thing was that we got a bout of nipple/oral thrush as a result of the antibiotic treatment, so just be on the lookout for that. That was a real pain to deal with.

#18 Tesseract

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (runnybabbit @ 01/04/2012, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing was that we got a bout of nipple/oral thrush as a result of the antibiotic treatment, so just be on the lookout for that. That was a real pain to deal with.

This ^^ was us too. The Royal Women's Hospital website has a good info sheet on nipple thrush. I really wish I had read it beforehand, by the time I figured out what was going on the thrush had set right in and it took a month of treating it to clear it up! We did get there thought.

In regards to being GBS+: I was in a birth centre and they put a cannula in my hand and administered the ABs every 4 hours I think. It only took a minute. The thing in my hand was a little uncomfortable but didn't inhibit me in anyway, it was fine in the shower. The midwife even administered the ABs to me in the shower at one point!

My waters broke long before labor started and they were getting anxious and were going to induce me with the drip, which I really didn't want. Each hospital's policy in regards to induction due to GBS+, membrane rupture and no contractions is different. I highly suggest you discuss this possibility with the midwives so you know where they stand. I managed to avoid the induction and got labor started on my own which was the ideal result for me, but the whole thing may have been quite different and negative if I hadn't have fully understood the risks and policies that we were working with.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.