From my bookshelf … What Children’s Books are on your “must have” list?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Kylie Orr

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

If there wasn’t the threat of suffocation combined with the pressure on our old house stumps, I’d line every wall with books.

A love of books is something I’ve harboured since childhood. Losing myself in a story of magical imagination, or just stunning illustration was a fantastic escape and most likely where my adoration of literature and language was born.

For every birthday my children have celebrated, when asked for a gift suggestion, my standard response is a book. I don’t believe you can ever have too many books. That being said, I have read my fair share of children’s books and amongst the electrifying beauty of many, there exists some dismal crud. Don’t ask me how some of the pages justify publication, nor a purchase price.

With this in mind, I thought I would compile a list of a few of the books I’d love my children to love starting with the trusty classics:

1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle

An oldie but a goodie. It has everything you could ever want in a book – colour, counting, days of the week, fruit, vivid illustrations, fun through treats, little holes that little fingers can poke and of course, the word "POP" which for some reason makes my children laugh. Not to mention life cycle and a gorgeous double-page-spread butterfly. I still enjoy this book and never tire of reading it to my children.

2. Where the Wild Things Are, Maurice Sendak

This has actually grown to be my favourite as I’ve matured. It is a story that has so much more than the basic plot; things I’ve identified as an adult that passed me by as a child. It is rhythmic, making it easy for parents to read, and there are endless discoveries through the illustrations that expand with the adventure.

3. Green Eggs & Ham, Dr Seuss

Although long for a children’s book, you can whip through this in no time with the trademark craziness and rhyming genius of Dr Seuss. Not to mention, it helps encourage my children to try new and interesting foods placed in front of them at the dinner table…

4. There’s a Hippo on our Roof Eating Cake, Hazel Edwards

For no other reason than it is funny and ridiculous! Who doesn’t love a hippo? And cake?

In more recent years, I’ve discovered or been introduced to:
  • "The Gruffalo" by Julia Donaldson – a gorgeous and intelligent story which most of us would know by now, about the clever little mouse who outwits his predators and the Gruffalo.
  • "Stanley Paste" by Aaron Blabey – a recent gift for my daughter that has engaging illustrations and a fantastic story for any child, short or tall.
  • "We’re Going on a Bear Hunt" by Michael Rosen  – another book with great pace and repetition that the little ones love.
  • "Where is the Green Sheep?" by Mem Fox - This is a book we probably all think we could have written because it seems so simple. Apparently it took Mem Fox two years to write. It is the first book my eldest child knew by heart and could “read” at three.
  • "Blueberry Girl" by Neil Gaiman - a book all women should read, and one we should all read to our daughters. It is a book I wish I had written. Just gorgeous.
  • "We All Went on Safari: A Counting Journey through Tanzania" by Laurie Krebs, a really interesting counting book with animals, that introduces children to the plains of Africa as well as some Swahili words!
  • "The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew it Was None of His Business" by Wolf Erlbruch– how can you go past a story about poo? Great illustrations and some informative details about the makeup of various animal poo!
  • Lynley Dodd’s "Hairy Maclary" series, particularly the one with Zachary Quack! Mainly because my son loved hearing his name in a book.
  • Anything Quentin Blake is quirky and bright, a particular favourite in our house is "Mr Magnolia".

And as we move into the digital age of books, although I resisted being usurped by a screen over a crisp white page, I have come to adore a book my husband downloaded on the iPad called "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore". Interactive and beautiful.

OK, now I’m getting carried away so I will force myself to truncate the list so I can give you all the chance to add your own favourites.

What are your “must have” children’s books?

Kylie

Edited by Kylie Orr, 29 March 2012 - 11:05 AM.

#2 Madnesscraves

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Possum magic

Enid Blyton - Faraway Series

#3 spersephone

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'm reading the Faraway Tree series to my daughters right now, one chapter per night.  After that, we'll move on to the Wishing Chair series.  

But oh my God, it's funny to read it now.  Mother doesn't mind if her young children disappear off with a strange man who wears saucepans on his head and body, and when they come home bruised, clothes ripped etc, she's just a bit peeved with them.

I loved them when I was growing up, it's so sad that my innocence has gone!

#4 Cranky Kitten

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

My daughter loved Wombat Stew, I wouldn't say Boo to a Goose (though yelling that last BOO! at the top of her lungs did not aid sleep) and we're loving the Stripey books by Wendy Binks - she reads them to DS original.gif

#5 gabbigirl

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

Alot of your faves, are also ours.  

We are also enjoying some of the Beatrix Potter work.

#6 Guest_Buy Me A Pony !_*

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

The rainbow fish
Anything by Seuss (the originals)
Enid Blyton

If the house needs restumping then so be it!

#7 Dodger

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Silly Suzy Goose

The Very Cranky Bear

When Henry Caught Imaginitus

#8 niggles

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Who Sank the Boat by Pamela Allen for the toddlers. I never get tired of this one.

Kisses for Daddy by David Legge is another favourite around here.  

We love Mr Magnolia too. It was my husband's favourite book as a child so our daughter has his copy of this now.

(Most overrated: Where is the Green Sheep. *ducks for cover*)

For older children I love the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. I was very happy to find some of these in an op shop recently and spent the afternoon reading and reliving my childhood memories of them.

Edited by niggles, 29 March 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#9 MUMxTHREE

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Not so much a children's book, but my DS1 (almost 8) has just started reading my  Deltora Quest books. He's up to the 2nd book now. original.gif I love Emily Rodda

#10 Guest_tigerdog_*

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

I had your first three, another few favourites from my childhood are Rosie's Walk and Rose and the Midnight Cat.  Roald Dahl for older kids (loved The Twits and The Witches).

Edited by tigerdog, 29 March 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#11 marley*and*me

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hunting bears (were going on a bear hunt)

The giraffe who can't dance

Lazy day, busy Lizzie

Wombat divine

10 little fingers and 10 little toes

And plenty others already mentioned.

#12 bjk76

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

DS has only just turned one, so his favourite books aren't necessarily that sophisticated, although I am surprised that he loves some longer ones. We've been reading regularly since about 3 months and read 3 stories before each nap/sleep as part of our routine.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? by Eric Carle - he loves sliding to find the picture underneath

Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell - another lift the flap book

I Wish That I Had Duck Feet by Dr Seuss - quite a long book, but he has loved this from around 6 months and is the only Dr Seuss book he likes so far. It's actually my favourite book from when I was about 4, so I love reading it to DS and doing voices!

Spot series by Eric Hill - I actually find them a bit average in terms of storyline, but DS loves the lift the flap and he's started pointing out things that he's interested in eg. ball, star, flower.

Mr McGee series by Pamela Allen - great rhymes and slightly ridiculous storylines. I find myself inadvertently memorising them and reciting them at odd occasions throughout the day!

The Owl and the Pussycat by Edward Lear, illustrated by Anne Mortimer - beautiful illustrations which DS loves looking at.

Anything with singing, eg. Teddy Bears' Picnic, Old McDonald Had A Farm, nursery rhymes (Play School has put out a couple of great books).

I've also discovered some of Julia Donaldson & Axel Scheffler (The Gruffalo) other books. I really like Stickman and there's a great reading of it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swKDQR9fFs4  - I plan to learn the different accents! DS is a little young for their books, but I'm starting to read small sections of them until he gets used to them, then read more and more.

I'm always after more ideas for books, so will be following this thread with interest!

#13 pumpkinpie04

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Anything by Richard Scarry - we love the pictures.
Percy the Park-keeper books are also a big hit here.
Topsy and Tim

I'd second Marleyandme's suggestion of The giraffe who can't dance. It's a great book. I enjoy reading it. They enjoy listening!

Edited by pumpkinpie04, 29 March 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#14 Kylie Orr

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for your additions so far.

spersephone - It is strange when you read a book you loved as a child, as an adult and wonder why the heck you loved it. I had that experience recently with The Bunyip of Berkeley's Creek. It's actually just a really odd book but I recall loving it. And yes, some of the older books are a little *ahem* politically incorrect these days...!

niggles - I can see your point about Where is the Green Sheep. Had my son not adored that book and wanted it read over and over, eventually memorising it and reading it to himself at 3, then I would have thought it was a complete bore. I will go out on a limb and say I am not at all excited by Possum Magic. It's a bit of a shoulder shrug for me. The beauty of a highly diverse children's book range offers us all something we can love! Oh and Ramona - thanks for reminding me!! wub.gif

MUMxTHREE - Deltora Quest @ 8? Very impressive.

Rose and the Midnight Cat - one of DH's favourite. I'm not so convinced of the appeal but the kids seem to enjoy it.

#15 noonehere

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

Guess How much I love you (cant remember who by)

My dad by anthony browne

#16 niggles

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (Kylie Orr @ 29/03/2012, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your additions so far.

niggles - I can see your point about Where is the Green Sheep. Had my son not adored that book and wanted it read over and over, eventually memorising it and reading it to himself at 3, then I would have thought it was a complete bore. I will go out on a limb and say I am not at all excited by Possum Magic. It's a bit of a shoulder shrug for me. The beauty of a highly diverse children's book range offers us all something we can love! Oh and Ramona - thanks for reminding me!! wub.gif

Oh, I hear you there. Some books my DH and I almost want to hide from time to time because we can't bear to read them again that week. That's what I admire so much about good children's book authors. They seem to be able to capture a certain magic that appeals to children, even when it's not always obvious to adults.

#17 Julie3Girls

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

A lot of our favourites have already been mentioned.
We have the large illustrated versions of The Faraway tree books, and my girls have loved them.

One that hasn't been mentioned ..
The Magic Hat by Mem Fox.  My girls have all loved this one.

Where the fairies fly by Jane Simmons, which is a lovely bedtime story about looking for the dreamtime fairies to help them go to sleep.

Edited by Julie3Girls, 29 March 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#18 Majeix

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Picture Books that I can think of.

John Brown Rose and the Midnight Cat.

The Green Sheep.

Womabat Stew.

The Paperbag Princess.

Rosie's Walk

Anothony Browne. -look what I've got. Voices in the Park.

Grandad's teeth (absolutely brilliant) Counting on Frank and Just Another Oridinary Day (studied this one in Child's lit at university) all by Rod Clement I think.

Hungry Caterpillar, Where the Wild Things are -as previoulsy mentioned...

Are You My Mother?

I Love you Stinky Face.

Dear Zoo.

Are We There Yet?

Spot.

Alfie Books and Dogger. Anthing by Shirely Hughes but particuarly these.

Frances Books -Russel Hoban

Gordon's biscuit.

The Pocket Dogs

Annie's Chair.

The Lorax

Edward the Emu.

Feathers for Phoebe?

The Kinder Hat

Aunt Nina Goodnight

Margaret Wild names alude me at present.

Harry the Dirty Dog (and the others)

Little Bear -books

Never been a huge fan of Pamela Allen but my chidren do like Who Sank the Boat? and I understand why it's a good book I just don't particuarly like it.

Don't Forget Matilda

Sunshine.

#19 Majeix

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 29/03/2012, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One that hasn't been mentioned ..
The Magic Hat by Mem Fox.  My girls have all loved this one.

Ohh thats a good one too.

#20 Majeix

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Ohhh Millie by John Marsden. I love the illustrations and the way it plays out. It was nominated for a children's book award one year but it didn't win. My daughter knew that book by heart.

#21 Majeix

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (niggles @ 29/03/2012, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For older children I love the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. I was very happy to find some of these in an op shop recently and spent the afternoon reading and reliving my childhood memories of them.

We about to start reading Ramona.

I also love My naughty little sister, Dilly the Dionsaur, Enid Blyton (although their not as great as I remember them) for a simlar age range to Ramona (maybe ever a little younger).

Edited by Majeix, 29 March 2012 - 12:29 PM.

#22 ~Jot~

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

A lot of our favourites have been mentioned. We have hundreds of books and can't bear to get rid of any on them.We love Pamela Allen, Colin West and Spot, and DD2 loves the 'That's not my...' books.

A few particular favourites:
Koala Lou by Mem Fox
A Very Ordinary Caterpillar by Gary Fleming - absolutely beautiful illustrations
The Paperbag Princess by Robert Munsch - I loved this as a child, great message for girls
Sharing a Shell by Julia Donaldson - I can nearly recite it by heart!
Keep Love in Your Heart, Little One by Giles Andrae - makes me tear up every time.

There are so many more!!! I love books, always have, and I'd love for my girls to have the same passion for them as they grow.

#23 moral fibre

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

The Three Robbers and Moon Man by Tomi Ungerer are classics.
Possum Magic - Mem Fox & Julie Vivas is gold!
The Curious Garden - Peter Brown is a beauty
The Way Back Home - Oliver Jeffers is terrific too

I am pretty old school when it comes to kids books. The story has to be strong and there needs to be something special about the illustrations.

I found a few Eastern European books online - Andy's Cherry Tree is one - that are true art.

Personally, I almost vomit at stuff like Fancy Nancy. I have hidden that amongst larger books in the hope it is forgotten.

#24 ~shannon~

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (spersephone @ 29/03/2012, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm reading the Faraway Tree series to my daughters right now, one chapter per night.  After that, we'll move on to the Wishing Chair series.  

But oh my God, it's funny to read it now.  Mother doesn't mind if her young children disappear off with a strange man who wears saucepans on his head and body, and when they come home bruised, clothes ripped etc, she's just a bit peeved with them.

I loved them when I was growing up, it's so sad that my innocence has gone!

Same here! We just finished the Wishing Chair books and also finished the Faraway Tree Stories (trilogy). My six-year-old loves them.

Popular titles in my house....

* A collection of John Butler books (the most beautiful illustrations I've ever seen... perfect stories for little ones, including Ten in the Den, Can you Cuddle Like a Koala, Hush Little Ones - and most of them end with the animals sleeping, so it's a good way to encourage them to go to sleep too).
* A collection of Pamela Allen books (my favourite is The Pear in the Pear Tree - brilliant rhyme and very funny story)
* A collection of Lynley Dodd's Hairy McClary books (as well as Slinky Malinki and Scarface Claw)
* Little Golden Books (these classics still entertain my children)
* LOTS of Mem Fox books (too many to name them all!)
* Lettice Rabbit books
* Angelina Ballerina books
* The Very Hungry Caterpillar
* Are You My Mother? by P.D.Eastman
* LOTS of Graeme Base books (Animalia, The Legend of the Golden Snail, etc)
* Isabella's Garden (also beautiful illustrations in this one)
* Peepo and Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
* 10 Little Australians by Wendy de Paauw
* Wibbly Wobbly Street by Trudie Trewin
* LOTS of Clifford the big red dog books (too many to name them all!)
* A few books by Trace Moroney
* Boris books by Andrew Joyner
* Spot books
* Wanted: The Perfect Pet
* I Meant to Clean My Room Today
* Not Like This, Like That

We also own John Brown Rose and the Midnight Cat and the kids love it too.

#25 autumn sun

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

All of the above plus

* I wish that I had duck feet (and all the classic Dr. Suess)
* Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
* The Quangle Wangle's Hat by Edward Lear illustrated by Louise Voce
*A Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis
*Augustus and his Smile by Catherine Rayner
*Ramadan Moon by Na'ima B Robert and Shirin Adl
* Moo Baa La La La, But Not The Hippopotamus, Doggies and Blue Hat Green Hat all by Sandra Boyton

and my all time favourite Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen and illustrated by Kevin Hawkes
(It has card catalogues in it - remember card catalogues! And it makes you want your own lion)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.