• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 catalyst

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

New thread time ladies.

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=949065

#2 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

It may languish hereafter, but this new thread shall have a reply within an hour of being started.  (Remember when it was within minutes...nay, seconds?!)

#3 cheekymonkey

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Just to prevent it languishing too long. Tounge1.gif

#4 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Keeping the dream alive!

What is happening here??????? Come on we must have some stuff to chat about surely?

Caelan will be up on stage at assembly tomorrow morning, Kindy is hosting this week so it's very exciting.

I have my next follow up appt with the eye surgeon on Tuesday.

I have some new plants to put in the garden beds, hopefully over the weekend.

My sister & family are thinking of moving from Agnes water to Brisbane before the end of the year. Big move for them but it will be so much easier to see them more often.

Who's up next?

#5 Naz32

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

ME!!

Ok so today I went to Endota for my treatment. O. M. G. It was AMAZING.
I am shiny and moisturised and relaxed. My favourite bit was the soak. I haven't had a bath since OCtober as there is a silly one in this house and I craved it at the end of my pregnancy. And today it was so deep and warm - it was sad to have to get out lol.

Thank you so much again. It was lovely. I'm going to take the wine to my mums tomorrow night and have a glass with her. We might get to talk as only Marcus and Sarah will be with me.

I'm going to my mums as on Saturday night I'm doing something very exciting.... Im going to the hunter valley to see Duran Duran. My girlfriend snd I are heading up for the night to go to concert. It will be a great catch up and all the reviews on the concert say it's great.

Marcus is going well. He was 58cm and 6 kg at 7.5 weeks. He is going good. Still has bad skin rash though do I'm going to hit it with moisturizer and see if ghat helps any as it seems to be drying out now.

We are in the process of buying a house back in Forster. I can't wait to move and get settled. I'm even looking forward to packing as I know I'm not moving for a long time. Will be great for kids too. We are trying for a quick settlement so hoping to be in early May after abit of quick maintenance. Fingers crossed all goes to plan.

Lily is very unsettled at moment with lots of meltdowns and crying in her sleep. I'm not sure what to do for her but she is struggling. Gavin said when he saw to her last night she was really anxious and her heart was racing and she was up and down alot in the night. I thought it was just school and Marcus arriving but maybe there is something else going on??

Have all the other kids settled down ok from starting school?

Megan your garden is going to be amazing by the time you are done.

Janet I love your hair cut original.gif

Ok that's my bit. Hello to everyone. wink.gif

#6 lissiloo

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Just got home from the marathon Easter raffle at school -- 108 prizes!!! Ella won a package with 3 large bunnies in it, so there's Easter sorted LOL! Glad one of them won something though, otherwise might have had tears. And it's last day of term today so lots of excitement around here. I'm looking forward to having a couple of weeks off, even though it's not going to be very restful for me!

I have to take poor Pops to the dentist this afternoon, she either has a massive cavity in her tooth or she's broken it -- it's one of the molars. Hopefully will be easily sorted out anyway.

Naz, I'm glad you enjoyed your spa day! Very envious here, hopefully DH will come through for Mother's day or my birthday  rolleyes.gif

OK, I need to do some work this morning so talk to you all later ...

Cheers
Liss

#7 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Me again? Come on ladies, I know you're out there.

Naz I'm so glad you enjoyed your spa trip  happy.gif Any link for the new house?

How is Poppy's tooth Liss?

Nothing much exciting going on here, just got Carys down for a nap, about to hang some laundry , need to get my assignment finished & get some garden work done but it's unlikely to transpire as Carys will only sleep for around 20 mins  rolleyes.gif

#8 Onemorebub

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hiya Megan!!

Having my usual day off monday but no time to relax as usual!

Tom is loving preschool at the moment so nice! He had his lil athletics presentation day yesterday he was so proud as was I!!

I ended up buying a kobo but havent had a chance to use it a friend gave me a heap of books! wacko.gif

#9 mokeydoke

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hello!!!
BLR- were you flooded out your way? We had all of the Hay evacuees staying in Deni. I didn't actually see the news the whole time it was flooding to know exactly where the flooding was.

I love your hair too Janet!

I'm watching Parenthood, it's my new favourite show but Peter watched it a couple of times and commented on the constant arguing between 2 of the characters and he's right! Maybe it's too real laughing2.gif, he won't watch Supernanny either. We get enough of feral children without watching them for entertainment wink.gif

Olivia is a handful ATM. She's really frustrating me because I think she's nearly 8! Shouldn't she be more consistently compliant by now?! I mean, she can be the sweetest, most beautiful girl but those moments are being ruined by the typical princess b**chface behaviour that's doing my head in. She's lost her birthday party - she can earn it back but it doesn't seem likely.

Kimbal has been great. Getting a bit more stressed at end of term, making making decisions harder for him, but still pretty good. No worries at school this year, I've been to just about every assembly and did canteen on Friday and he was fine to give me a hug then go and play (or help the others spend $28 at tr canteen in one day!!! Lucky I'm only on the roster every 5 weeks).

Luella is going well. She tries on being a princess, especially when she's tired, but can't maintain that persona and is easily distracted. I don't know how much she's taking in at school, but she's enjoying it and that's enough for me right now. She's also doing dance and thinking that's pretty cool.

Curtis is so grown up. He doesn't shut up. He's loving preschool now, it's so cute when he sees a teacher out and about and he runs up to say hello. He doesn't hurt other kids anymore either which is a bonus - in a social setting when I hear crying I don't automatically think  'oh sh*t Curtis!'. (tbh I'm more likely to wonder what Olivia has done...).

I need more coke for my gurgling belly

#10 mesaana

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

I mean, she can be the sweetest, most beautiful girl but those moments are being ruined by the typical princess b**chface behaviour that's doing my head in.

seems that Olivia and Zoe learned from the same place.   Drives me nuts!

#11 Mulan

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

Struggling a little at the moment but trying to keep my chin up.
Dd is a pleasurable turd at the moment. Totally delightful one minute and then cranky pants and rude the next. I know her commitment to being ultra demanding increases as my mood and patience goes down.

I've been trying the conditioner without washing it out and it's not making much difference with her hair. The problem is that she twists it and sucks on it. It's driving me insane and I am hating mornings to brush her hair. Im inclined to just permanently plait her hair.

Janet I also love your hair. It's exactly how I wanted mine and took a photo similar to the hairdresser. I'm not happy with what I got instead, so waiting for it to grow a little and will try again with a different hairdresser.

DS#2 has been fabulous, he's so very responsible lately and I rarely have to ask him to do anything more than once. Except for the dishwasher. Which brings me to my tolerance in the kitchen. I'm so totally sick of my kitchen bench being covered with dirty dishes constantly. We've been in the new place for a year and never have my children or my husband put a dirty dish in the dishwasher except when it's time to pack it to run it. I'm so sick of that. It's not difficult to open it up and put a plate and cutlery in. So I'm on kitchen strike.

Mandy those characters on parenthood seem to be fitting constantly, but then again they all do and then just get over it.

Naz the spa sounds fantastic.

#12 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Mulan could you suggest to her that if she doesn't look after her hair when it's ling then it might need to be cut short? It may be enough to get her to stop messing with it. I hear you on the dishwasher front, I'm always having to put all the dishes in, for some reason Shane seems to think plonking them on the bench above the dishwasher is just fine rolleyes.gif

#13 Mulan

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

The delightful one that drives me insane is all four of them tonight walked past the open dishwasher and plonked their dinner plates in the sink and then walked past again. DH even closed the dishwasher when he took his in.

We've tried the haircut threat and even cut 20cm off it a few weeks back. Ds#1 piped in and told her his gets knotty too and she realized its going to be knotty and she will still twist it whether it's long or short. If I had realized when she was 12 months old that the cute hair twisting she was doing as she was going to sleep would become such a big long term problem I think I would have kept her hands away from her face as she was going to sleep perhaps.

#14 Naz32

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Mulan both my girls have curly hair that ends up very knotty. I just bought this out of desperation at the hairdressers and it's working great.

http://www.tangleteezer.com/

We have no more tears at all and if it's a super knotty morning I just put some of this in the dried hair and comb it through - just get it from woolies (or Priceline wink.gif

Schwarzkopf Extra Care Liquid Silk Gloss
Instant Repair Treatment150mL

Megan once we settle I will post up pics just incase anything happens like last time original.gif

#15 mokeydoke

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Did I suggest combing through Dove intensive repair overnight treatment? I thought I did mention it in here at some stage but can't remember what for. It's not normal conditioner, it's like magic in a pump pack. Give it a go!
Olivia loves her hair out, I wish she'd wear it up because it's pretty wild but at the end of the day it's her hair. I win at school though, it's always up for school but the elastics come out as soon as we get home.

We had a few weeks of kitchen peace here, the deal being Peter cleaned the kitchen when I was putting the kids to bed (usually takes up to an hour to read and have some quiet time with each kid- unfortunately they all want me to do it even if he does the reading/talking part they still want me as well so it's just more time economical for me to do it from the start). In return, I would make his lunch the next day on the clean bench space he'd provided. But he seems to have given up- novelty wears off does it buddy? laughing2.gif- and so I'm cranky and usually in the kitchen from 7-7. Or so it seems!

#16 mesaana

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

Our nice new dishwasher has broken.  So dirty dishes on the bench top seem to be the norm.

#17 cheekymonkey

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

I love my dishwasher and prefer DH and the kids just put their dishes in the sink as it seems only I can get it all to stack properly. I do insist they empty it once clean though.

DD is being difficult with her hair. She refuses to let me do it unless it's a pre-school day. I can usually get an elastic in it enough to keep it out of her face so she can eat but, first chance she gets after, the elastics are ripped out. She's now nappy free, wearing undies to bed since 24th March. ddance.gif

Have learnt that DD and DS#3 both have skeeter syndrome. Fancy pants name for a severe reaction to mosquito bites. They get welts which become huge blisters then ulcers once the blisters burst. Antihistamines help a little. I'm crossing everything they don't become anaphylactic over time as it can happen. I don't fancy having to carry an epipen because of mozzies of all things. ddoh.gif  Unfortunately, DS#3 got quite a doozy of a staph infection in his bites recently and is on his second course of antibiotics to get rid of it. And I didn't realise quick enough and had been putting him in the bath with the others, 2 of whom also now have infected sores/scratches.  sad.gif

DS#3 is getting tired as term draws to an end. He's on level 10 readers and finding them easy. The expression in his reading is really funny to listen to as he goes OTT with it. The kinders are running the assembly on Thursday. AJ managed to score the very first line that has to be said. They also do their easter hat parade (they were made at school - so much easier) and we have the P&C raffle. 33 prizes up for grabs.

DS#2 is starting to push the boundaries with his language/topics, especially at the dinner table. mad.gif  He's doing well at school and, from the sounds of it, his teacher has hime doing more year 2 work than year 1. Great as I always worry that he'll get a bit forgotten about while they wait for the othr kids to catch up.

DS#1 is also being testing in the way only eldest children can.  rolleyes.gif  It was mentioned *again* at his parent teacher interview that he lacks focus and struggles to complete work. Head, meet wall. His teacher recognises that he is smart BUT looking at his work books, you wouldn't pick it. I just don't know what to do with him to change this. None of his teachers have found a solution yet either. shrug.gif On the bright side, he 'wrote' a great speech for school this week. It was supposed to be 2 minutes and his was actually 5-6. Hope they don't time penalise at this point of school. He was heading for meltdown territory when it came time to write it so I told him to tell me what he wanted to say and I'd write it for him. Seems he has this thing about having to physically do the work. I know his pencil grip is not relaxed so his hand/arm ache if he has to write too much. I also think he mind is working faster than he can get stuff down on paper. Heck, even I had trouble keeping up at times and I'm not exactlty a slow writer.

Been writing this for a while. Falling asleep in front of the puter so off to bed. original.gif

#18 Onemorebub

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Wow lots of posts great to see!

I have an ereader question I have put in serial killers if anyone had time or understanding!

J has started soccor again there goes saturdays lol no I'm looking forward to it and the lil boys were sop well behaved on the first training so fingers crossed it keeps up!

I feel like I'm losing the battle to keep j interested in reading he sees it more as homework now and is teetering on reading fluently he can read well but still gets stuck sometimes so his patience is very limited sigh its so important but i just dont know what to do.

B is so tired lately introducing preschool and no day sleeps he is throwing tantrums left right and centre

T is being quite good lately and 2 day of preschool suit him very well

Does anyone think the cost of living lately is ridiculous??LOL but it really is!

#19 mokeydoke

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Ok so it tells me there ar no less than 3 people reading. Post people, post!

I am so glad it's the end of school, although I am considering buying a stack of plastic plates and cups to get me through the holiday period. I am sick of the kitchen. It will only be a couple of years until I can roster the kids on washing up right? wink.gif Might have to get the dishwasher fixed. The mice from the 2011 plague ate their way through the water pipes.

I have Kimbal home today, and half of yesterday, because he had stomach pains which I knew before I sent him to school, but was hoping he'd improve. If gastro stops us yet AGAIN from going to the east coast I don't know what I'll do! Think we are cursed?!

I borrowed the second hunger games book from the library yesterday so might have a reading day before all of the kids are here to distract me.

Curtis is at a beautiful age when it comes to tiredness, in that by the end of the day he's not so overtired that he can't function and he doesn't nap during the day (only to be up all night). He's also settling into a lovely boy, yesterday at the library another little girl threw the crayons everywhere (one hitting him) and he just went over, picked them all up, then let the little girl give him a big hug (even if he was looking a bit stiff and confused laughing2.gif). He loves preschool. I have no excuses for not working anymore, he would want an extra daycare day (none of my kids ever have liked it this much! but then they all had each other). So I'm doing the paperwork over the holidays to work at the kids' school, which will mean I can still pick them up and go to their assemblies on Fridays.

#20 mamaknits

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hi everyone

Been MIA a bit as it's been frightfully busy here. This waking up early thing certainly does not agree with me, and I am so glad we're having holidays for 3 weeks.

Alex is settling into school. I don't always update with stuff here but there's stuff over on SK. There are some frustrations but I am hoping for improvements in term 2.

We don't have much planned for the hols. I am working, as is Chris, so holiday programs for Alex have been organised, and on teh days when we'e not sending him, he'll go to work with me or Chris, or stay home with my parents. My folks will arrive tomorrow. We'll have to do some crazy cleaning before they arrive! House is a disaster!

BLR, have you tried letting J choose his own books from the library (rather than just read readers)? I found that Alex was always keen to read books of his own choosing. He has not really gotten into the readers most of this term. There would be the odd one that he'd like but not much more. Justthinking that if he has chosen his own book, he'd be more willing to continue even after stumbling on a word. Also, most books have more of a plot that readers. What level is he on? You can probably find books of a similar level at teh local library

#21 mokeydoke

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I feel like I'm losing the battle to keep j interested in reading he sees it more as homework now and is teetering on reading fluently he can read well but still gets stuck sometimes so his patience is very limited sigh its so important but i just dont know what to do.

Get him to read instructions to put things together/play a game, get him to cook from a recipe, get him to write the shopping list or read the shopping list when shopping (write his own and send him on his way), write him a letter, go through old birthday cards and read through them together, google things that he is interested in (Olivia googled how long it would take for our tadpoles to turn into frogs last week), give him a break with the readers/story books and take turns reading for different characters or read a page each, give him a tv guide and get him to read it to circle shows he'd want to watch, find the lyrics for songs he likes and give them to him to read along with the song.

Oh I am so full of ideas laughing2.gif The main thing is, he has to find the reading relevant to him. If he is interested in the topic/story, or it has a purpose to him, it won't be homework. Olivia's reading level is still above her comprehension so while she can read anything (she is off levels now), it doesn't always mean a lot to her.

Boys have come alive here. Oh the noise!!

#22 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Bon when our school had a reading workshop on for the parents they stressed that it's really important to let them read something they enjoy regardless of what it is (abviously not completely inappropriate content) & suggested all kinds of things like toy catalogues, sport magazines, cook books. They said nobody ever developed a love of reading from school readers wink.gif Caelan does the readers somewhat under duress but he LOVES his books from the library, currently we're reading Zac Power books & he's enthralled  biggrin.gif

Cheeks that's interesting about skeeter syndrome. i get really strong reactions to mozzies too, perhaps not quite that severe but not far from it.

#23 mamaknits

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Go Zac Power! Alex loved Zac Power and we ended up buy a whole set of it for him. I recently discovered that there are more than the set I bought and will try to find them in the library.

#24 mokeydoke

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

Can you check SK if you have time, I need some advice on a schoolyard issue. It's not urgent though, I'm more just interested in what others would do/suggest their child do.

My whole house has such a good vibe now it's holidays. I wish I could bottle it to take swigs from towards the end of every term!

#25 thebell

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hi!
I'm reading along. original.gif
First week of school holidays are done. We've been pretty lazy, really. Just kept to ourselves a bit, recharging batteries. This second week, we'll hopefully get out a bit more so we don't go stir crazy. The circus is in town and I want to take the kids to that, we also wanted to check out the new themed play centre. I took Raife and his friend but the older kids want to see it too. It's got a room that is pirate themed, with a pirate ship, hats, swords, treasure and a little cave, for example. There are also a couple of staff members who are dressed up and walk around engaging the kids, playing with them. It's pretty cool really.
If you had older kids you could pretty much just sit and read/drink coffee while they played. Unfortunately I have Pepper wink.gif She likes to climb. original.gif Oh, there's also someone who can do face painting around. So, anytime there's someone who wants their face painted, they can do it.
Any Melb girls who want to come for a play, let me know!! LOL

Pepper is nearly 2, into everything, miss independent, oh so cheeky, but very cute. The top of her hair just will not grow, so she has a rocking mullet atm. Hence the pigitails. Or as Raife says curly tails.

Raife is 4, has settled into kinder beautifully. Has 2 great friends, one a boy who's brother is Hunter's best friend and one a girl who is one of Levi's best girly friend's sisters. We pick up his glasses this week which he will wear all the time to help his long sightedness. This is going to be a longterm forever type thing as it doesn't look like it will ever get better. sad.gif
He's excited about it though and can't wait to get them.

Levi has settled into school really well, bit slow with learning to read, I think he would have suited the sounding words out better than the memorising them way to learn. But other than that he seems quite settled. I think it really helped that he has some friends from kinder in his class and that his teacher was Hunter's teacher from last year.

Hunter is doing well too, loves doing his readers. Prefers books with pictures than just words still, but hopefully he will get there. I think with his Asperger's he is a very visual kid and prefers pictures. I hope he starts to read real books, I'd hate for him to miss out on that "world". original.gif

Brad is working alot. (Alot, alot) So he's tired. Me too! LOL
He is taking a couple of weeks off in May and we are planning on taking a weekend away in the Macedon Ranges so that should be nice. We've never been away before and he's never taken any time off so it will be brilliant. I'm almost counting down the days. Almost!

Mandy- That would be brilliant! I love this relaxed vibe. I loved the Hunger Games books, and bought my Mum a  kindle for her birthday so she can read them too! Lol. The movie was good too.

Celia- Sounds like business as usual at your place! LOL At least you don't get bored. original.gif Hope you are enjoying your parents' visit. x

BLR- Yep, agree with you there. Everything is so expensive. I can't believe petrol prices!

Better get off here. Took forever to update. (Just goes to show I should pop in more!)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

6 things I didn't expect as a parent

From weird smells to dangerous opinions, painful body parts to numbness, here are a few things new mums and dads can expect.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.