At what age do you let your children stay home alone?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 EBKatie

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

In Antonia Kidman's column she asks "when is it okay for children to venture out or be left at home alone?"

We all struggle to make a judgement call on this. What do you think?

At what age do you let your children stay home alone? Or walk to school by themselves? Or babysit their younger siblings? And what responsibilities should you never put on their shoulders?

#2 pp67

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

IMPO... No ADULT responsiblities should be placed on any child's shoulders!!

Hence the terms Adult and Child... the child does not have the Adult maturity to cope with Adult stuff/responsibilities  (mind you... some Adults don't either  tongue.gif )

#3 smudgiekiss

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

I am struggling with the walk to school by themselves topic at the moment.

I wish I had an answer.

#4 Rachaelxxx

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

I am really struggling with letting go myself at the moment.  My oldest is 10 and my youngest is 4 and I feel like I need to be giving my 10 year old a bit more freedom, ride her bike to a friends house, walk to the milk bar, that sort of thing, but we live in a busy neighbour and it's a pretty busy street we live on, so I'm just not ready yet.

But my problem is I've always said when she start high school, but I need to start taking baby steps between now and then, I can't have her never leaving my side, to all of a sudden, letting her wander the streets.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm not ready yet and she isn't pushing me to give her more freedom, so I can relax a bit.

#5 wickle pickle

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

This is a really difficult topic and as much as I WANT to give my kids more independence, I feel sick to the stomach and nervous the whole time when I do.

I wonder what happened to 'safety houses' and 'neighbourhood watch'- these used to exist but I don't see them anymore. Maybe I would feel safer if I knew the whole community was looking out for my kids...

#6 mummyofour

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Yesterday I let my almost 12 yo and almost 9yo walk to the localish (next suburb across) to pick up something from the supermarket for me.  DS took my phone with him just in case, and they had the family dog with them.  I"ve actually found that when I give my older kids that little bit more responsibility they can accept it and act their age IYKWIM.  When I'm around they can act like the kids that they still are.

My almost 12yo also walks himself to and from school and is at home by himself for an hour or so two afternoons a week.  The younger children are in afterschool care but he comes home, lets himself in, lets the dog in and usually watched tv (and doesn't do homework but that's another issue !!) I wouldn't put much more responsibility on him than that and I certainly wouldn't leave him at home with the younger kids to look after but he is capable of looking after himself.  He knows what to do should something happen like a fire (go to the neighbours), knows not to answer the door or the phone (or listen and if it's me or his Dad he's allowed to pick up) etc so there are rules and he knows what they are.

It will be interesting to see next year if I think DD1 and DS will be capable of being in the same house by themselves and not killing each other while I am not around as she will be the same as next year as DS was when we let him stay at home.  She would be fine by herself I think but they might either kill each other or destroy the house - by that's still a year away and a lot can change in a year...

#7 IsolaBella

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

My eldest is only 6, but already I am easing off.

I park across the road from school. Let DS1 out and watch as he walks the 50m up to the school crossing (with crossing guard), cross the road and then takes himself the 100m back into the school.

I anticipate that by 10yrs he will be going to the local shops by himself.

Like PP he will be going off to private school and will need to catch public transport himself so there needs to be a 'relaxing' of care.

#8 penny_lane

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (pp67 @ 27/03/2012, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IMPO... No ADULT responsiblities should be placed on any child's shoulders!!

Hence the terms Adult and Child... the child does not have the Adult maturity to cope with Adult stuff/responsibilities  (mind you... some Adults don't either  tongue.gif )

How are they supposed to learn to cope with 'adult stuff' if they've never experienced it?

You do need to gradually introduce adult responsibilities as children become capable of them. That's the only way they learn how to manage them, because you don't suddenly become a mature, responsible person upon reaching adulthood.

#9 my serenity

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

by 10 and 12 the kids were going to the local westfield 10 mins walk away , getting bread/fruit from a local markets and being left at home for up to an hour at a time. They are resposible kids and now as teenagers they are confident and not worries or frightened to do these things.
I dont think they were too young. They always had a mobile on them when out, they new what to do if something bothered them and they also had neighbours to help as we talk to all our neighbours if I wasnt home. Its all aboiut teaching them the life skills they need original.gif

#10 Ianthe

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

My eldest I started leaving for brief periods when he was 12. My second son is 11 and has occasionally stayed home alone. They are both allowed to ride bikes to friend's houses without me. My 9yo hasn't been left alone but has been left with his older brothers.

My 11yo, 9yo and 7yo all walk to school together.

I was always really nervous the first few times but less so as time goes on. The reality is that I think the benefits of their growing independence outweighs any risks there may be. I can do "worst case scenario" but how likely is it really that something will happen to them?

#11 BadCat

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

Exactly Ianthe.

I can't keep my kids chained to my side against the tiny chance that someone may wish to harm them.

My two started walking to school alone when they were maybe 9 and 7.  It's a short walk and the area isn't busy.  That never stopped me from worrying though.

They started staying home alone for brief periods from around 10.  And yes, I worried.  Still do.

But I decided a long time ago that I could not afford to let my worry interfere with their growing up.

#12 klbseb

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Up until today, my 12 year old was home alone for an hour in the morning and about two in the afternoon.  However, after an incident this morning with someone driving dangerously towards her, and "stalking" behaviour towards her and being concerned with her safety - this has now changed.

We have made arrangements with her school (private) for her to be allowed to go to BSC and ASC (when the High School Library closes) until I get there about 30 minutes later.  This will continue until the end of term (Thursday next week) or until the Police can provide me with confirmation that this idiot has been warned/charged or whatever and that her safety is guaranteed.

We'll now start with smaller things and work up to her catching the bus to and from school again next term.

#13 CharliMarley

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

I know it is a different era now, but I didn't have any choice, but to go to high school at 11 (along with heaps of other kids) on the public bus and then walk 2 miles through a big regional city to get to school and came home the same way. I think this matures kids big-time to have some responsibility and if they are never let do these things - how will they learn.

#14 cesca

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

My 9 year old stays home for short periods at a time by himself.  The longest is when I take his sister to her swimming lessons - we're away for about 30 minutes.  The pool is across the road, so about 100 metres from our house, so I'm confident that if there's any problems he could come over.

I'm also fine with the two of them (aged 9 and 8) going to the local corner shops or playground by themselves.  DS has walked home from school with a group of friends occasionally, but I'm not that keen as there are some busy roads to cross.

It's all gradual.

#15 The Cat's Me-Wow

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

My daughter is 12, and I have an almost 3 year old son, and a 10 month old son.

My husband and I went shopping for a TV last week and left my daughter home alone. I might have done it a little earlier, but she is a worrier, and never wanted to stay home alone before. This time, it was simply a case of staying home and watching TV being a more attractive option than going TV shopping with Mum, Dad and 2 babies.

This sort of decision is such a personal one to make. An age guideline can be helpful, but it comes down to your risk assessment, your child's maturity level, how many (if any) siblings they will be left with and the dynamics between them. In some cases, an 11 year old on their own might be less of a concern, than an 'easily-led-into-trouble' 12 year old with a ratbag 10 year old, IYKWIM.

Edited sleep-deprivation-induced poor grammar.

Edited by The Cat's Me-Wow, 29 March 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#16 moral fibre

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

I have let my 4 year old daughter ride her bike when we go to the park. She goes to the next corner and waits, but invariably goes around the next corner and out of my view. The first time she did this, I was adamant about being able to see her. The second time, I reminded her that she needs to be careful of pedestrians on the footpath and cars coming out of driveways. Now, I let her ride ahead and happily for both of us, it is not a problem.

You can sense her self-confidence and freedom, but she always comes back to look where I am (and her 2 year old sister).

I leave them alone in the house whilst I go to the garden. They always know where I am and that they are not alone. After ten minutes or so, there is usually a check from one of them to ascertain where I am, then they return to their play.

When would I leave them alone at home? I think 10 years old is a pretty good benchmark. A child usually has a sense of self-confidence by then - as long as they know the rules of fire, phone calls, etc.

As for going to school - we all walked to school in my day - nearly every kid and we were aware of 'stranger-danger'. There is something important being lost by kids being dropped off at school and not having time to themselves and being able to talk to their friends before class starts. It is integral to warming up for the day.

I rode to school at 12 and along some busy roads. I think I was knocked off my bike once, but my brother hit the asphalt two or three times. We knew the road rules and it was purely accidental that anything happened. You can't guard against accidents, even in the home.

#17 andieinvic

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

This is one for us at the moment, dd1 is 9yo and has been asking to stay home while I pick dd2 up from after school activities.  I am starting to let her, she calls me every five minutes to chat rolleyes.gif , which is fine with me.  Last week it was a good 25 minutes she was home and she was quite happy.  We live in a cul-de-sak with 8 houses and know all the neighbours, so I feel pretty ok about her being at home, anyone in the court who doesn't live there sticks out like a sore thumb.  I wouldn't leave it any longer than half an hour though.

We've just been looking at high schools and I do wonder if she will be ok to catch a public bus to and from as dh and I both work.  It's more the coming home to an empty house that worries me I think, but again, it's great having neigbours that know us and vice versa.

I suspect dd2 will be 35 before I can leave her home for any space of time whatsover (just a bit of a different personality type) happy.gif

#18 fimamala

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

My kids are 8 (Grade 3) & 9 (Grade 4) and we live 150m from the local shops and school is a 15 minutes walk. At age 7 both kids would walk to the shops on a saturday and sunday to buy the papers, and mid last year started walking to school by themselves ( with us observing them from afar for a couple of weeks to ensure they observed road rules). They have to cross a railway crossing and one street  to get to the shops and 4 more streets to get to school. We have walked to the shops, Kinder and school almost eveyday since we moved to this house 7 years ago. I have also left them at home for up to an hour by themselves since they were 7 years old. Too many people baby their kids, my kids are sensible and confident kids. They are street smart and from my secret observation they have good road sense. Often I get parents of 10 to 12 year old kids say that they saw my kids  at the shops street  on weekends without me and they express their concern, I just laugh and say they are responisble and need to have independence. I am very active at our school and many kids who know me and my kids have said they wished they parents would let them do more by themselves. unwrapp the bubble wrap people let them free!!

#19 justthegirls

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Tough one.  My eldest is 8, and whilst I trust her to be responsible, school is too far for her to walk, as is the shops, so she doesn't really get the opportunity to go anywhere by herself.  She is too young to leave home alone, and given that she is 8 years older than her youngest sibling, I don't anticipate her being able to look after her siblings for another 8 years or so.

#20 Propaganda

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

roughly 12.

depending on the individual child of course but 12 sounds about an age where you can go do your grocery shopping while your kid entertains itself at home

#21 Sif

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

My two eldest boys have been going out and taking public transport (to and from school for a while, until we moved closer, now just for occasional errands) since they were nine and seven. I have no issues with letting them go to the park or run errands to the corner shop, or the local shopping centre. Yet, neither of them have been left alone at home yet.

I'm pretty sure I could trust either of them alone at home (they're now almost 11 and 13), but I have to admit the idea of them being home alone TOGETHER makes me nervous because they're more like to conjour up some sort of idiocy or get into a fight over something.

I will start leaving them home (probably one at a time at first) for short periods of time in the next few months, though because I do want them to develop some confidence while they're still young enough not to believe they're completely invincible.

Maturity and circumstance are both key in deciding when is best for your individual child.

#22 kerilyntaryn

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

I was just talking to Mission Australia  about this as my son is 11 and unable to go to school Mon/Tues and we were trying to work out our work options and care options - we were wondering the age plus next year he'll be in high school and wont have afterschool care.

They werent sure so called child safety and they said 12 and we also asked about sibling supervision as my older son is 15 and they said - they have to be 18 to be able to supervise

I was just talking to Mission Australia today about this as my son is 11 and unable to go to school Mon/Tues and we were trying to work out our work options and care options - we were wondering the age plus next year he'll be in high school and wont have afterschool care.

They werent sure so called child safety and they said 12 and we also asked about sibling supervision as my older son is 15 and they said - they have to be 18 to be able to supervise

Reply from Child Safety

Thank you for your email regarding the age of children that can be left alone at home.

Under the Criminal Code Act children under the age of 12 cannot be left alone at home without supervison.

If you have any concerns or enquiry please contact your local Child Safety Service Centre.

Yours sincerely

Administration Officer
Enquiries Unit
Dept of Communities (Child Safety)
Ph : 3224 8045
info@communities.qld.gov.au

We also asked Child safety about sibling supervision as my older son is 15 and they said - they have to be 18 to be able to supervise

#23 4kidlets

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thats not strictly correct though - as has been posted on this forum before, children cannot be left alone for an unreasonable time without reasonable supervision - words to that effect.

this of course is so open to interpretation - I think most people would consider leaving a mature 11 year old alone for 10 minutes would be reasonable - a 2 year old for an hour obviously not.

You dont suddenly jump from being 11 and not allowed at home alone for 10 minutes to 12 and allowed home alone all day.

Likewise with supervising - a straight out not until 18 does not make sense - a 17 year old looking after a baby or younger child for a little while would be reasonable supervision.

(and that's without considering situations like what if the 17 year old is the baby's mother - should she never be unsupervised with her own child - that would be very silly interpretation of the law)

#24 inspirational

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (penny_lane @ 28/03/2012, 06:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are they supposed to learn to cope with 'adult stuff' if they've never experienced it?

You do need to gradually introduce adult responsibilities as children become capable of them. That's the only way they learn how to manage them, because you don't suddenly become a mature, responsible person upon reaching adulthood.

Hi, I do agree with you here and once you know your teen can handle the responsibility it is our responsibility as parents to also let them experience and enjoy their teen years by sharing the responsibilities and not just expecting our children and teens to take over our responsibilities as parents. Too often I see parents handing on too much responsibility to their children and teens putting a lot of unnecessary pressure on them to grow up quickly.

#25 steppy

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

For us it was when they could no longer go to after school care. After that we had to trust them to come home and not burn the place down. So they were alone about 3 hours. The first school holidays after that, they learned to be home alone all day - they had to be there to answer the phone when we called and we'd check on them twice a day. It worked out okay.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.