Need Help Getting My Wife Home After Caesar
Stairs !

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Wyrmbait

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hi
My Wife is due to give birth by  Caesarean this week.

I had not given enough thought to this problem, my Wife gently reminded me the implication of the situation, and how serious and hard it will be for her.
I need your help !

After my Wife leaves hospital and comes home we live on 3rd level walk up Unit.

She plans to stay in the unit for a good amount of time, but there is 2 times in 1st week she will have to navigate the stairs !

Once coming home, and a 2nd time for important appointment.

I am asking for advice for people in or have experienced a situation like this.
We only plan to go up Stair these 2 times.

The options i have thought of

1: I will carry her, i am quite strong but not very big, 5"7 68kilo (her current weight it around 64 kilo)  If i carry her, will this put to much pressure on her stomach area?  The Danger of this is falling backwards.

2: Wheel Chair with big wheels and drag her up original.gif i would still have 2nd person lift bottom of chair.  (this might be best option to carry up with 2 people)

3: Try to let her walk up very slowly, backwards or forward what ever way our docter would suggest with support from me.

I am inclined to carry her, i have confidence in my ability to do this.  But worried if carrying would put to much pressure in stomach area.

#2 BentoBaby

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

I haven't had a ceasar but I do have 2 friends who have who's walked up their stairs when home from hospital. Slowly, and a bit uncomfortably but still done. The first one actually complained a lot more about the stairs following her natural (lots of stitches) birth so obviously it wasnt too hard in comparison. I think she'll be ok if you take it slowly & support her. I definately wouldn't be carrying her, far far too risky!

#3 jo074

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

She'll be fine, don't worry. I have stairs in our house and post-caesar, stairs were no more difficult than walking on the flat, you just take everything slowly and let your body guide your speed. I was up and down the stairs 20 times a day looking after 2 other children after my third c-section and it wasn't an issue. You'll be surprised how much movement she will have a few days after the birth . Being carried or pulled up stairs in a wheelchair would have been infinitely more painful !

Edited by jo074, 26 March 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#4 Chelara

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

I would have been able to do it fine, everyone's recovery is different though. Make sure she stays in hospital until they kick her out so she has as long as possible to recover. Also someone might be able to direct you better but there are tight stretchy things you can wear to help with support and recovery, one of those might help.

Eta being carried would have definitely hurt.

Edited by Chelara, 26 March 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#5 wfhm

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

I've had 2 C/S's and stairs weren't an overly big problem for me, it wasn't the most comfortable feeling to walk up or down them, but it wasn't that bad either.

Good for you for being so concerned about her, but in this case I think you're worrying about nothing original.gif

#6 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Walking will be good.
I was encouraged to walk as much as i could while in hospital, and had stairs to my flat. I don't remember it being a problem.

Getting in and out of a car was harder from memory.

#7 BeachedAsBro

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

Yep she should be fine, just make sure you do all the carrying, including the baby. I found when I climbed stairs in the immediate weeks after having the baby that I had to hold my lower abdomen with my hand to 'brace' myself. After about 3 weeks though I was totally back to normal original.gif

Best wishes to you and your wife about your impending arrival!

#8 Mintjelly

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

I agree with a PP that there is no way I would have let someone carry me, not to mention the risks associated with it.

I think she will be fine, if she takes her time and does the one step at a time type climb (ie both feet land on each step).

Personally I would think coming down will be harder than going up.

Either way I am sure she will manage.  BTW I was still in a lot of pain after being discharged from hospital, and still think I could have done it.

#9 Overtherainbow

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

Let the hospital know.  hey shouldn't release her until she is capable of doing them.

DH had an operation on his leg and we lived in a 2 story.  They organised physio. for him to learn how to use the steps safely before he could come home.

I think you'll find the biggest thing is helping pick things up and doing the carrying.  Don't carry your DW though, way too much chance of things going wrong.

#10 jo074

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

PS - good on you for caring so much !  Maybe you should pop into the '8 weeks until baby and DH freaking out' thread and give the OP's DH a heads-up on how a father-to-be should behave !

#11 FeralMinx

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

She should be fine.  Even after my worst c-section I could have done it slowly, with much flouncing and a handful of affection!  

After my best c-section - I could have run up the stairs by the after noon on day one...  I was a little nutty at the time, though.  unsure.gif .  So don't expect your wife to be that enthusiastic.

But she will cope.

#12 oNeLoVe

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

I've had 2 c-sections - 1 emergency, 1 scheduled and have had no problems walking up and down stairs either time.  Fingers crossed your wife will be the same...

#13 NoMoreGuilt

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

My place has stairs (internal) and I needed to go up and down them multiple times a day as the bathrooms are all upstairs (as are bedrooms) and living/dining/kitchen areas downstairs.

I was completely fine.

I drove a car after 2 weeks. Could've done it by the end of week 1.

Best of luck.

#14 Who is me

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

I have 3 flights of stairs in my house. I had to go upstairs to go to the bathroom, and up 2 flights to get to my bedroom. It was painful, but doable, if I went slowly. I only had issues if I went up and down too often.

She should be able to do it slowly, one step at a time, and may need to rest for a bit on the landing between each flight. Agree with PP that using a hand across her tummy to brace will help as well.

It is lovely that you are so concerned for her  original.gif

#15 ~*~vicki~*~

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

If she is still on pain meds when she leaves hospital, if possible take them an hr or so before she has to climb the stairs this will help with a bit of the pain but she will just have to take it slow and steady even with pain meds on board

#16 Wyrmbait

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:36 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies, i feel more confident she will be ok.

Just have to take them nice and slowly.

I will be taking 1 month off to help her with the baby.
I am quite looking foward to it, maybe not the sleepless nights...

I will keep you updated on how it all goes

#17 Madnesscraves

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

Had a casear here, walked up and down stairs everyday and night. Just took it easy. To be honest didn't really feel much going up and down. By the time they let her go home the casear should just feel like a bad bruise.

Of course, everyone's recovery is different.

#18 Pupalumps

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

Edited by Pupalumps, 29 March 2012 - 02:55 PM.

#19 purple_daisy

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

Hi OP

How caring and thoughtful!

I had a c-section and we have some stairs up to our place. I found that by about day 4 (the day most women would be discharged) I was able to slowly but surely navigate steps. On the first and second day post-op your wife might feel like she'll never stand up straight or walk properly again but by day 4 things suddenly get much better. You just move at snail pace.

Maybe have a strategy for getting bub, bags, gifts, flowers up to your apartment. Eg if you are on your own make sure you can put bub in a baby bjorn carrier or similar so you can make the trips up and down carrying things without worrying about whether bubs is freaking out in the apartment by itself. This way your wife can just take all the time she needs, confident that bubs is with you and that everything will get into the apartment and be all sorted without her having to worry.

Also, depending how many days she stays in hospital, throw a thin pillow/soft blanket in the car so she can place that between her scar and the seatbelt on the way home if it is still tender. That was a tip from my MIL.

#20 imamumto3

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

on the day i got home from hospital i walked up 3 flights of stairs to get to the unit, sat for 10 minutes, walked back down 3 flights of stairs and went shopping!

i went out most days.  i would carry ds down to the garage, put him in the pram and walk to the shops.

your wife will be fine, although you get brownie points for thinking about it!

#21 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

Stairs were a nightmare for me. I think it took me several minutes to climb three steps.
Everyone is different. Given you have time off, make sure you carry everything for her

#22 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Agree with pps....she'll be fine going up and down stairs. I also lived on the second floor and managed the stairs post section with a paralysed leg and twins in carry cots!

Just take it slowly!

#23 libbylu

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

It is normal to spend 4 days in hospital after a caesar, so she should be capable of doing it slowly after that amount of time.  She will still have some pain but the most painful things are sitting up from lying down, twisting and turning and picking things up.  Walking is not too bad, and stairs should be fine as long as you allow plenty of time.  Maybe stand behind her in case she feels faint so on the very slim chance she may fall, then you are behind her.

#24 jo074

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Edited by jo074, 27 March 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#25 Wyrmbait

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your support !
My Wife, myself and our new baby son are home original.gif

The stairs ere not to hard for her, much easier than what we thought.

We had a baby boy, on the 30 03 2012 weighing 3.33 kilo
We spent 4 night in Hospital

On the 2nd day, she didnt have much mobility, 3rd day was up and moving, and the 4th day we were going up the stair at 10am !

Thanks So much

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.