Home and Contents Insurance premium increase

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Chalkie

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

ohmy.gif

Just received my insurance renewal today for home and contents insurance.

I nearly fell over.

Our premium has increased by 30%.  Last year we had a 20% increase and I thought that was horrible.

We live in Sydney, have never had a claim.  I think the sums insured are about right - and they have increased a little with indexation - but around 3% - not 30%.

The worst bit is that I have spent a couple of hours seeking other quotes from insurance providers and I cannot beat the current provider.

Next step is to increase my excess to see if that will reduce it a little.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen a huge increase this year?  Or did we somehow have cheap insurance before and now it is catching up?

#2 laridae

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

Yes - mine have gone up about 25%.  There were a lot of disasters last year.  I think everyones has gone up.

Kinda one of those things you just have to pay though.
Currently getting my house repaired under insurance after a water pipe started leaking in the wall.  1 room needed the wall replastered, 2 rooms
(downstairs) needed the ceiling re-plastered as they went moldy. All 3 need repainting & also part of the outside does.  Pretty sure it would cost more than I've paid in insurance so far to get it fixed, so I don't mind so much.

#3 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Same here. Went up 20-25% last year, and then another 30% this year.

Both years I did a ring around and couldn't get a much better deal sad.gif

#4 dessiesgirl

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Haven't had our renewal yet, but having been through a house fire 18months ago, i would happily pay double whatever they ask for!!

Haven't had our renewal yet, but having been through a house fire 18months ago, i would happily pay double whatever they ask for!!

#5 Chalkie

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the replies - at least I am not alone in my misery.

It is something that I won't do without, and I don't want to change the cover amounts, but I was shocked by the increase.

I suspect it is a combination of natural disasters here and overseas (Japenese tsunami and NZ earthquakes for example) as well as the cost of funding for insurers due to the European issues.  But even though I can understand why funding costs have increased - I am still gobsmacked by the extent of the increase.

I guess I am fortunate as I can afford to pay for it - but I am so worried about my pensioner income parents - how on earth are they going to afford such an increase on top of all the other utility increases?

Crazy.

Thanks again for your reponses, it is at least somewhat comforting to learn that our household wasn't singled out!

#6 Chalkie

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (dessiesgirl @ 26/03/2012, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry you have gone through that and thank goodness you did have insurance.

I wouldn't consider dropping ours, but I am still shocked at the increase.

#7 Spring Chickadee

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

Mine hasn't gone up by anything noticeable in the last 2 renewals , I'm with real insurance.

#8 Chalkie

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Thanks Springchickadee I will look into them, I have only been phoning the major ones, GIO, NRMA, AAMI etc.

#9 FEdeRAL

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Yep. Ours went up 25% too this year - the insurer decided to add floor cover to their home & contents. I got a few quotes online and all were comparable (within $50 difference) - some didn't even cover flood.

#10 Snack

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

mine went up 47% last year - I am in QLD so of course they used everything that happened here as an excuse.  I removed a few of the "extras" from our policy to get the cost down - the policy was almost $1500 - I nearly died ! I increased the excess, and lowered the overall value of the policy.

#11 Chalkie

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

Eek Snack 47%!!  I am going to phone today and see if I can reduce it a little by upping the excess.

Ours is over $1,500 but we have a fairly high sum insured which I think is fair due to the value of the home - we spent more than the insured amount on renovating so I have an idea of how much it would cost to do a total rebuild (less than renovating per square metre, but also the pool and garage etc) so I think the insured amount is OK.  We only have a small excess on the policy, must have put that there when we first took it out, so will up that a bit.

#12 fi73

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hi
Ours went up $500 from last year,I had made no claims so rang them up to talk about why it had gone up so much,.I understand about all the floods and natural disasters and realise some of the increase was due to these factors.However when I mentioned that I could get similair cover with another company for same price they were quick to reduce the premium by $400.It is always worth ringing them and speaking to them about the premium.
Fiona

Edited by fi73, 27 March 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#13 ~Sorceress~

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

I just paid our renewal yesterday after phoning around and being unable to beat it sad.gif . Just horrible sad.gif .

#14 FroggiFeral

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

There has also been legislation change that came into effect feb 1 that now all insurance agencies must cover flood. So this may have an effect. I know I'm not looking forward to our renewal as we're in a high risk area. I have heard of one pensioner who's premium went up $1000, so she had to drop her insurance.

#15 Bluenomi

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Apparently they reassess the price of home insurance in January so that's why people who have gotten renewals in the past few months have seen a big jump. Ours isn't due until November but I suspect it will be going up thanks to various floods, earthquakes etc.

It sucks but it is cheaper than paying for a new house if something happens to it

#16 samshine

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

We got our renewal late last year and it had gone up nearly 40% - we are in Tas.  

Over 4 years it had increased from $500 pa to $1300 pa - an $800 rise.  I understand with the recent events some increase, but not that much.  Interestingly my parents have a property, 4k down the road comparable size, contents and position and are with the same insurers yet their premium came at the same time, $400 cheaper.  Our insurance company weren't able to explain the discrepancy so we changed insurers.  

We ended up finding a policy $400 less with better cover.  So do try ringing around.  Good luck.

#17 Guest_bottle~rocket_*

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

We got our renewal recently and it went up 20% - so not too bad compared to PPs.

It was enough for me to shop around, although I haven't found anything much more competitive.

We do without accidental damage cover for contents as that seems to add quite a lot to the premium.

QUOTE (Froggilicious @ 27/03/2012, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There has also been legislation change that came into effect feb 1 that now all insurance agencies must cover flood. So this may have an effect. I know I'm not looking forward to our renewal as we're in a high risk area. I have heard of one pensioner who's premium went up $1000, so she had to drop her insurance.

That would explain why our insurance company added it to their cover - they didn't mention it was a legal requirement funnily enough!

#18 canuckmel

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (Chalkie @ 26/03/2012, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I am fortunate as I can afford to pay for it - but I am so worried about my pensioner income parents - how on earth are they going to afford such an increase on top of all the other utility increases?

I work as a financial planner and it's scary how many of my older, pensioner clients have had to drop insurance altogether as they can't afford it.

I hate insurance, it's one of those expensive necessary evils I hate dealing with.

#19 lovemybabies

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

My renewal was over $2000! So I swapped to budget. Saved myself over $600 and have a lower excess. Took great pleasure in telling my insurance company of 15+ years, that I wasn't renewing with them and when they asked why I told them I was sick of having to ring them and squabble over the premiunm (I did alternative quotes last year and my company agreed to meet their price) and that they should take care of their existing customers. Not that it will make any difference but it made me feel good.

#20 LifesGood

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

There was an item on ABC 7.30 tonight (the NSW edition) as premiums have risen so much this year.

#21 melhoneybee

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

Our home and contents insurance and car insurance for 2 cars all went up by around 25% despite us never claiming. We shopped around, found a better deal which saved us $1000 a year and swapped everything at once.
After calling the place we were insured with to cancel they offered us discounts but were still more than the one we moved to

#22 KylieY

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Mine has gone up $150 and I thankfully found another provider that came in at a reasonable price. My girlfriend got her renewal on Friday and it had doubled!

#23 hopeful81

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Just got ours with a huge increase. Eeek  ohmy.gif

We've made no claims and aren't in an area that floods. I think they are having to up the price to cover some of their payouts from the last 12 months or so.

#24 belwu

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

You should also be aware that there are a stack of taxes (state & federal) on your insurance - a lot of people aren't aware of this

#25 paris-stella

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

I got my renewal and it went up by nearly 30%. I rung my insurer (GIO) and explained how long I had been with them and I had never made a claim etc etc and they reduced the premium without reducing the cover. In the end they got it down to cheaper than what it was last year.

It cant hurt to ring your insurance company and ask for a discount. By ringing them I saved over $300.00 a year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

6 things I didn't expect as a parent

From weird smells to dangerous opinions, painful body parts to numbness, here are a few things new mums and dads can expect.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.