Bach of Education (Primary)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lolliepopsrule

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

I'm seriously considering doing an on-line Bachelor of Education (Primary).  I'm a 41yo  recently divorced mum of 5 and would looooove to hear from those doing the course and get a heads up on what to expect eg the initial enrolment units etc - I hope I've got what it takes to do it.

Pleeeeeease respond!  I just need a little insight into the course to decide whether to go ahead.

Hope to hear from somebody soon.

#2 paod

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hi there,
I am in my 1st yr (second semester) doing Bach Ed (Primary) through University of Tasmania online.
I am doing 2 subjects per semester rather than the full time load of 4 ad i try to squeeze in a summer unit over the holidays.
I am really enjoying it so far. I don’t have any kids but do have my own business so i manage to do my units during the day when im not at work.  They recommend dedicating approx. 10 hrs per unit per week but i do my best to get it done in around 6hrs. The only thing that can be hard is thatself motivation as assignments can just creep up on you and if you let a week of lectures go by it can be time consuming to catch up
Good Luck and if you need any more help just PM me original.gif

#3 lisacat

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hi,

I am in the first semester of bachelor of primary / early childhood through ACU. I am not sure if you want to hear from ppl doing online only or anyone. I am finding the work load not too full on which is lucky as I also work full time I am doing 2 subjects per semester.
Are you lpoking at doing full or part time?

#4 Lolliepopsrule

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (paod @ 26/03/2012, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there,
I am in my 1st yr (second semester) doing Bach Ed (Primary) through University of Tasmania online.
I am doing 2 subjects per semester rather than the full time load of 4 ad i try to squeeze in a summer unit over the holidays.
I am really enjoying it so far. I don’t have any kids but do have my own business so i manage to do my units during the day when im not at work.  They recommend dedicating approx. 10 hrs per unit per week but i do my best to get it done in around 6hrs. The only thing that can be hard is thatself motivation as assignments can just creep up on you and if you let a week of lectures go by it can be time consuming to catch up
Good Luck and if you need any more help just PM me original.gif

Thank you!

#5 Lolliepopsrule

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (lisacat @ 26/03/2012, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I am in the first semester of bachelor of primary / early childhood through ACU. I am not sure if you want to hear from ppl doing online only or anyone. I am finding the work load not too full on which is lucky as I also work full time I am doing 2 subjects per semester.
Are you lpoking at doing full or part time?

Definitely part time.  I also do 6 hrs per week as a SLSO at my kids' school working with children with special needs who attend the school.  I love it so much that I would like to take it a step further and teach - just a bit worried about the essays and lengthy reading sessions!  How on earth do people remember half the stuff in those books????  I have enough trouble remembering where I left my keys!!

#6 Atomac

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

I am currently in my 2nd year of my bachelor of education (primary) through OUA/ Curtin. I have 2 kids and work full time as a special needs assistant at a primary school. I started the course in May 2010 and I should be finished in about 2015. I am about to go on my fist prac placement in about 4 weeks. Some study periods I have done 2 units and others I have only done the one depending on what I have going on in my life at the time.

If you want any other info feel free to ask, either here or pm me.

#7 Lolliepopsrule

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thank you for that.

Has anyone been given an idea of the demand for primary school teachers in Sydney?  I've been hearing that it can be quite difficult to find permanent employment!!??

#8 Frazzled Cat

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Finding permanency in the primary sector Australia-wide is very difficult unless you're willing to go out woop-woop.

Since you're already working with children in aide-style position, perhaps a teacher aide course would be more practical?

#9 Lolliepopsrule

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm actually in the middle of a TAFE Cert III Education Support - Special course.  I work at the local primary school a few hours per week (and get paid!!) but, as a single mum of 5, being a teacher's aide isn't going to pay enough.  I was hoping that teaching would ensure financial independence especially once my youngest turns 8 and the single parent payments stop.

Unfortunately, public schools just don't seem to have the funding for full time teacher's aides which, in my opinion, is terrible!  There are just too many children being left behind in class because of their learning difficulties - it's very sad to see it first hand.

#10 Swahili

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Honestly, it seems like every third woman with school age kids either has or is doing a B.Ed. There are way, way more teachers than there are permanent jobs. I would not advise anyone to become a primary school teacher unless they are willing and able to work absolutely anywhere and are happy to accept that they may only be relying on casual work for years on end. If you are looking for secure employment, teaching is not for you.

#11 **Switzerland**

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

I recently completed my Masters of Teaching ( primary) through UWS. It was on-campus, fulltime study, and honestly was not a difficult course, just time consuming during the semesters with prac, trying to juggle assessments and planning for school was tough going!

To the question about placements once finished...well it is tough getting a permanent placement  and out for our graduating class of 300 from  2nd semester last year, not ONE of us gained a permanent placement straight out. However, there are numerous people on year long contracts ( the majority in western and southern sydney), quite a few term long contracts and even more of us ( like myself) casual teaching.  After a slow start, the casual days are now plentiful, so there is work, but without the perks of sickleave or annual leave.

If you are prepared to teach ANYWHERE in the Sydney region, honestly there is no reason you wouldn't get atleast four or even five days a week casual call-ins!

Any more questions just ask biggrin.gif

#12 Lolliepopsrule

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thank you all so much for responding to my little post.  I've received heaps of info and some honest opinions which I will take on board.

Looks like I've got a tough decision to make!

Thanks again.

#13 lisacat

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

In regards to employment, i have been told by friends that are teachers as well as teachers at uni that it is very difficult to get permanent work as a straight primary teacher. This is why I am doing primary and early childhood in the one course as if I can't get a job in a primary school I can go to preschools or child care. At my uni about 80% of primary students got work where in my course it was 100%.

#14 monkeys mum

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

I am currently doing a Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of disabilities 9Early childhood special needs education). This semester i am doing one unit but could easily have done more if i could have afforded to pay to do more.

Can I suggest another option to look into is the Bachelor of Disabilities, I know Flinders offer it externally.

I chose this degree as I feel it has more scope for employment as the need for special needs teachers will grow and doing early childhood doesn't limit you to working in a school.

Goodluck with it!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.