Have you seen the benefits of unstructured play with your kids?

25 replies to this topic

#1 EBKatie

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Do your kids only play in organised sports? Or do they also spend time having open-ended, free play?

Such as "Playing with blocks, a Barbie, an action figure, a toy car or teddy ... Painting or drawing on a blank piece of paper, making something out of recycled rubbish, freely running, skipping, jumping, climbing, building and wrestling is all free play."

Or do they not have time for this kind of creative play?

#2 FeralBob!

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

DD has loads of unstructured play. I think it's incredibly important.

Just last weekend, she was involved in a detailed game centred on her new boots, multiple packets of jelly, a couple of tins of baked beans and a lonely tin of salmon. She's also very happy playing families with the bottles of essence and food colouring (all tightly closed, might I add), her barbies and also getting out the craft box and drawing, making and colouring things.

#3 *mylittleprince*

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

I know this is regarding kids age 5 - 8 years but DS is 2.6 years old and has at least 2 hours of unstructured play a day. We have at least 12 hours a day together while DH is at work and I don't think parents should have to entertain their children all day. We go out once or twice a day to park/library/shops/play centre/playdate which covers a few hours, then have some structured play (painting, craft, soccer, etc) and then DVD time (one a day) and unstructured play where DS can play which whatever he likes. He enjoys, is very imaginative and I'm always around if he wants to chat or show me something.

I'm expecting twins and suffering from all day sickness and DS has been brilliant at entertaining himself which has made life a bit easier.

#4 serenitylisten

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

They have done or do both.

DD8 wants to play sport out of school, but she has told DH 'not until next year.'
I don't know why she has chosen next year, but that is just what she has chosen.
She loves playing anything and everything else.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

The only formal activities my children do are Swimming (which is a life skill IMHO) and DS1 likes to play Auskick on Saturday mornings during winter.

Rest of the week is unstructured play.

I love laying in bed on Sunday mornings with DH listening to DS1 and DS2 play. It can be very enlightening at times.

#6 dolcengabbana

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

My DS10 has played structured sport since he requested to join the team when he was 6 (basketball), also tennis lessons for 6 months, cooking classes 10 months, and now AFL, he still is in the basketball league.

He plays on his own with lego, building things, making water bombs, building a go kart, building an engine thing he got for christmas. He reads, draws colours, researches, down loads basketball how to videos from you tube to study. Everyone is amazed at how grown up he acts, at restaurants sports games he isn't a child to be running around he focuses on the games or the movie at the cinema. I think both the structured and unstructured play he actively participates in is unvaluable at least with my son.

#7 Le-a

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

My 14mo DS sure doesn't have any free time. If he's not doing intensive golf/cricket/tennis/schools or his sushi chef apprenticeship, then I'm giving him a jump start on his schooling and shoving flash cards in his face.

I took away all his toys, too. They were distracting him from his studies.

huh.gif

Not really OP. Are there really parents that don't allow "free play"? Isn't "free play" the same thing as play?  
How can you stop a child from playing, do you have to break their little spirits first? To me, a child not having the time to explore and expand his/her imagination is an unbearably sad thought. I will go one step further and suggest it is close to child abuse.

I know I don't have a child in the age range of this forum yet, but when we get there (and now even), I will encourage my sons amazing imagination and do all I can to help him enjoy this most wonderful gift of childhood.

#8 paddyboo

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Pat already has unstructured play at 18 months, I don;t know what he is playing but it is very funny to watch him putting voices on for each of his shoes wacko.gif

#9 cinnabubble

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

We practice benign neglect. They have to amuse themselves.

#10 Ianthe

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Pretty constantly. Two of my boys go to a church thing on Thu afternoons and they all go to a church thing on Friday afternoons but it is all rancho relaxo here. The four younger kids had a ball on the weekend getting all the soft toys out and playing all kinds of games together.

#11 Lim Lam

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 26/03/2012, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

roll2.gif  yyes.gif  yyes.gif

#12 barrington

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Is this a serious question?

Surely most school-aged children have unstructured play after school most days, either at after-school care or at home?  Even if its only for an hour or so.

#13 antsy

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

I love unstructured play because it encourages creative thinking and kids learn how to amuse themselves. Tese qualities will be very useful when they are adults. My kids get a lot of time for this type of play and some of the stuff they come up with is amazing!

Though I must admit, my kids probably dont get enough structured activities. I hate being overscheduled so I havent encouraged them, and the kids are too young to know any better.

#14 Lokum

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 26/03/2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes! I just didn't know what to call it.

I also think it's quite important to have unstructured time outside, to explore the natural environment in an organic (so to speak) way. So if you go to the park, it doesn't have to be about kicking the ball or swinging/sliding. We're very luck to have a gorgeous playground surrounded by extensive parkland, about 5 houses away.

DS has just discovered 'the bush,' which is about 15 trees together with some scrub underneath. The way he goes 'exploring' in there with such excitement is a treat to observe (from a distance.)  We have bigger 'bush' for him to explore when he's taller than knee-high.

#15 my serenity

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

Our HOME is UNSTRUCTURED

each child has a choice of activity/sport winter summer sport doesnt happen as they are too busy riding bikes hanging with friends parks climbing trees etc, if they really wanted to do an activity summer thats ok but they are too busy having fun....
i dont believe in filling in days arvo with something every day i take their lead....
my kids are laid back happy and busy original.gif
my kids seem to deal with day to day stuff better than some  i know that have a schedule
ETA besides homework time etc.......we take each day as it comes baking cleaning games whatever

Edited by charlie cat, 26 March 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#16 annasue

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

This is us  cool.gif

#17 NATPR

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

My kids spend most their time in the back yard, in the nud I might add...is that child neglegence?

#18 Guest_tigerdog_*

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

MIne also play their own games, DS1 is 3.5 and egnerally follows me around if on his own but with other kids he plays together well, usually with the most basic of things like cardboard boxes.  Yesterday it was a laundry basket being pulled along by a rope (an elaborate Fireman Sam game!).

#19 wabbitsw

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

I read Daddo's article today and had to laugh..with him of course. OMG why are we now calling play unstructured?? Too many parents reading parenting books and getting advice on the internet? This is what normal kids have been doing since day dot. Have we really become so attached to technology and helicopter parenting we can't leave our kids alone to freely 'play' without the guilt???!! And no, it's not neglect people. It's natural. I think they'd be something strange with seeing an adult crawling on all fours among tree houses and cubby houses and pretending to be one of the kids. Let them be. This is how social, cognitive, emotional development all occurs independently of adults needing to hold a kids hand all the time, intervening all the time or feel they need to timetable activities and 'extra curriculur'' stuff so Johnnie doesn't miss out on whatever. I know I sound scathing but my daughter attends a small school with mothers who have a lot of time on their hands that living vicariously through their children and developing a neurosis about their well being really gets me. And calling play outside as unstructured play would be extaclty what these fruitloops would label what children have been doing naturally since time began!!  rant.gif

Ha...that's off my chest....

#20 ~chiquita~

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

laughing2.gif

#21 HeroOfCanton

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

It's what DD does while I sit on EB  wwhistle.gif
oh, and do housework, cook, go to the toilet alone, etc etc...

#22 steppy

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

I actually have seen quite a few kids who don't do unstructured play very much. They are either in front of the tv, the playstation or sitting next to mum while she talks to other adults and mum (or dad) has to do EVERYTHING with them. They can't play for 5 minutes without screaming MUM or DAD.  So I do understand the OP's question. I know way too many parents who found unstructured play just too difficult.

#23 amanda79

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 26/03/2012, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We I practice benign neglect. They have to amuse themselves.

tthumbs.gif
Yup, me too.

I think at their dad's house his version of benign neglect is letting our 5 and 3 y/o watch MA15+ movies and PS3 with him.   nno.gif

My kids yesterday were playing "teachers and mothers" with each other for about 2 hours, while I did housework, read a book and knitted.  It was very cute.

#24 happygurl06

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

DD has no structured activities outside of school/homework.

#25 Lokum

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (steppy @ 02/04/2012, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually have seen quite a few kids who don't do unstructured play very much. ... So I do understand the OP's question. I know way too many parents who found unstructured play just too difficult.

Agreed. It's almost socially iffy to let your kid just wander about by himself in our area/MG. And I by wander about, I mean stray more than a metre or two from your mother.

DS fell off something the other day. (He was fine.) I know I got a whiff off 'well, if she will ignore him, it WILL happen,' from the other two mothers I was with. They of course were hovering beneath the play equipment ready to catch their little ones, while I gossiped in their ears.

As it turned out, another kid had pushed him. Life IS going to happen, and I can't be there with the safety net all his life.

That does seem to be the current action plan of his peers' mummies though.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Vote for a chance to win $5000

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby news for Isla and Sacha

Congratulations are in order for Aussie actress Isla Fisher and her husband, Sacha Baron Cohen.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Vote to win

What are your favourite baby products?

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.