Weekly Chat 26 March 2012

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Little Duck

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hi Ladies,

I know most people have migrated to the FB page but I'm not a keen user, I prefer the anonymity so I thought I'd start the weekly chat for anyone who is still lurking. I have to say I'm a bit jealous of those who have already given birth, I'm getting impatient.

How is your health?
I am very lucky in that I don't have any serious complications but morning sickness has recently reared its ugly head and I feel just like I did when I was 6 weeks pregnant, only now I'm 36 weeks pregnant. I know I survived it in the first trimester so I can survive it again but it is so disappointing and unexpected!

What post-birth support have you got in place?
My DH is taking 3 weeks leave which is great although how well timed it is depends on when this baby decides to make its grand entrance. My mother is also on hand so I'm pretty lucky (she is great on cleaning, laundry and entertaining my DS1). My inlaws will also no doubt come to visit and they are similarly good value, MIL is particularly awesome in the kitchen and FIL is fantastic with my DS so I'm very lucky.

Well I hope you are all well as the count down to April gets ever closer, especially for those of you due early rather than late April.

#2 CalC

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Hi Ladies,

I too am getting impatient but know its for the best as I am still not ready and I am still at work. Finish on Friday. Work though me a baby shower last Firday which was good. Got very spoilt.

We have not yet finished the nursery or have the car seat in the car.

Had my baby shower yesturday which was great. Needless to say I don't think I will be running out of bibs or face washers anytime soon but I have been told I can't have too many of these items.

How is your health?
Besides feeling tired and the heartburn getting worse I am doing ok. When at the OB last week he got me to do another blood test to check iron leavel so will find out if that has anything to do with the the tirdness when I see him again next week. I think I also have a recoccurance of thrush which isn't very funny. Off to buy another canasten cream tonight.

DH was going to take 2 weeks off after the baby is born. He is actually now thinking of maybe trying to do a couple of half days so that maybe he can be around at home for about 3 weeks. My mum and MIL are both local so will help if I request it. I have a feeling that when I am in the hospital with the baby my MIL will come over and give the house a once over so that it is cimpletly clean for when I am back home. Sure both will help with meals as well.

#3 CarlieB

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hi all, I was lurking more here before I finished work as I didn't have FB access there but now I'm at home I don't seem to be online as often - too busy trying to make sure everything is ready! (and make as good as start as possible on my thesis!)

Health
I've been exceptionally well! Tired, but sleeping pretty well and besides a tiny bit of heartburn, have been as good as ever! Almost don't feel pregnant, which is a little concerning, but still feel him moving around regularly.

Post-birth support
Unfortunately DP has been out of work since Christmas and as much as I would love him to be around when the baby arrives, financially we really need him to start working pretty soon! He'll probably end up starting something just after Easter (4 days before EDD) so I'm worried he won't be able to take much time off. Hopefully a week though. And my mother is around and even offered to take time off work so I will have someone.

#4 dizzy-anne

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Oh Carlie that sucks about hubby having to start work just before bubs is due!  Tis good though that your mum can be on hand.

CalC I just had my baby shower too (well - DH and I had a Baby-Q...) on Saturday - was great to catch up with everyone!

Little Duck - I'm getting a little impatient too - looking forward to meeting this bub and being able to turn over in bed in less than 5 minutes!!

Health
Well not too bad - I have some sacro iliac joint issues (right hip is 1 inch higher than left!) so that causes a bit of pain.  Tight muscles in back along with that mean that I get lower back pain if I lie down for more than 20 minutes so I really don't get much sleep - that's a tad exhausting and I'd love to just lie down and relax.  I also get swollen feet and legs which then get achy at night - all night - another sleep preventer!  I'm actually looking forward to night time feeds and being able to actually sleep without pain in between!!  Bubs is healthy though and all this should have no impact on her or post birth so all is well.

Post birth support
My DH gets 4 weeks paid off work which is brilliant.  I also have a mum and sister close by who are awesome so quite well supported!

Edited by dizzy-anne, 26 March 2012 - 09:13 PM.

#5 CalC

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

dizzy - Jealous of your DH getting 4 weeks paid leave off.

Speaking of leave for DH does anyone know if they can take their personal leave (carer/sick leave) off for a birth of a baby or do they really only have the choice of 2 weeks unpaid parental leave (unless of course they work somewhere that offers paid parental leave)?

#6 CarlieB

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

CalC it depends on the workplace. We used to have this issue where I was working all the time as the guys would try to take carers leave for the birth of their babies. Technically it's only meant to be used if they have to care for someone and it is unplanned. So if their wife had to have an emergency c/s and couldn't as a consequence look after other children for a few days then it would be justified, but otherwise you could struggle. Having said that, I think some workplaces are much more ok with it. HTH

#7 teemoodesign

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

hubbie just started a new position in feb, private enterprise. so he lost all his accumulated sick leave and wont be eligible for paid parental leave of one week. he is taking one week sick leave as carers leave to look after myself and samuel. we have c/section booked for this friday and he isnt taking the week leave until after easter.

Health
I have been so much better this pregnancy than with ds1. last time i was sick with the flu at 38w and didnt shake it until after the birth. i coughed him out i think. not alot of swelling (which i had alot of last time), less weight gain (but still enough!). just have a really REALLY sore lower back by around 6pm (bubba's spine is against mine most of the time). very uncomfy for the first couple of hours sleep but then feeling okay when i get up in the morning.

Post birth support
we have mil here to watch ds1 on friday, she arrives thursday. fil is driving down friday and hubbie has friday - monday off work as well. so care for ds1 is taken care of. mum drives down monday to watch ds1 until im out of hospital and then my dad/sister drive down thursday. hubbie also has easter weekend off work, so will be working tue-thu after birth. then hubbie has the week after easter off to help out and watch ds1. i guess the short version is yes, have c/section 30/03 and family home support until the 16/04 at least.

#8 irises

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Hey, I'm not into facebook either, so glad some people are still lurking around here!

How is your health?
I've been taking iron tablets morning and night for the past couple of months and FINALLY feel as if my levels have come up (blood test this morning so will know if this is actually the case or not later this week) - I'm actually feeling really healthy and less run down and tired than I was a few weeks ago. 38 weeks and NOT ready to have the baby yet! I only finished work today so am looking forward to a couple of weeks off first original.gif (Finally finishing work probably explains my extra energy and optimism today!!)

Baby has apparently just started engaging in the pelvis so that might explain the extra pain rolling over in bed all of a sudden - I hear you on the 5 minute rolling manouevres, dizzy-ann!

Mum arriving from interstate right on my due date - another reason I don't want to go early. I'd rather her here for the whole two weeks after baby is born. DP should be able to take at least a week after the birth - his boss is pretty flexible - and then we plan for him to use up some holiday leave a bit later on once sleep deprivation really kicks in and I really need the help.

Good luck everyone. Can't wait to hear news from whoever pops next!

Edited by flickery, 27 March 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#9 ~flaxen~

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Also prefer the anonimity here, and a bit of a lurker ph34r.gif

How is your health?

Pretty good. I've been taking iron tablets since the 36wk blood test came back showing my levels had taken a bit of a dip. I was feeling awful, so now much better. Getting a lot of pre-labour niggles though, and she's also just started engaging. Have reluctantly given up the gym. Have very happily finished up work last Friday original.gif

Post birth support

DH can actually take some time off this time around, which I am very grateful for as he wasn't able to with the boys. He's taking a week's holidays, which, if the baby arrives on time like my boys did will be padded out a bit by the Public Holidays. My parents are coming down next Thurs, but that is going to be more of a stress than a help and a vent not really worth going into *sigh*. My sister is a hour away and is an invaluable help even though she has her own young family. It helps that it will be school holidays and I have a bit of time before having to work out school drop-offs etc.

I am a bit concerned that this will be a quick labour, as DS2 came relatively quickly compared to DS1. Which is fine during the day, but if it happens at night and DH is working a night shift...

I'm hopeless at personals and posting, but I have really enjoyed reading about everyone's journey. I wish you all the best for your labours and births...Good Luck!

Edited by ~flaxen~, 28 March 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#10 CalC

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

Just have to say

LAST DAY OF WORK TODAY!!! ddance.gif

Looking forward to some relaxing and organising before the baby is born. I am currently 37+1 so have almost 3 weeks at home before the due date.

#11 turnip123

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

How is your health?

Not so good- hence my constant posts complaining about the baby not coming yet wink.gif . I have heartburn to the point that I throw up on occasion, heads been engaged for 3 weeks, blood blisters on the front area due to pelvic pressure, lumps on my butt as a result of forgetting to use my footstool once, sciatica  and waiting for the baby to be born so I can have root canal! Hopefully most of these will clear up quickly post birth. On the plus side I have put on 10.6kgs and am pretty mobile considering EDD is 3 days away (except when the sciatica flares up and my leg goes out from under me- I have learnt to hold on when going up/down stairs)

Post birth support
DH is taking 3 weeks off- Another reason I was hoping baby would be here is DD preschool breaks up for 2 weeks holidays next Wednesday- was hoping to have 1-2 weeks with some time just with the baby to establish breastfeeding etc.

#12 Snafu

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hows your health?
Well really I can't complain (especially after reading Turnips post, you poor thing!!), My doc told me not to bother coming in for my weekly check this week cause i'm boringly normal & bub is doing well. My due date is tomorrow & I'm definately over it, she just has no room left. I can't sleep well at night if I lay on my left bub doesn't stop moving, on my right my ribs push into her feet & i end up with horrible pain in my ribs & if I lay on my back I have trouble breathing.... just can't win!! So I've resorted to making a nest around me with pillows & propping myself up slightly, It's helped a little.

Post birth support
This will be my 3rd, so I'm pretty confident I can cope. I've precooked & frozen 20 meals so I won't have to cook & if I end up unable to or can't come home right away DP won't resort to takeaway for him & the boys. If I do need help my parents, siblings & the inlaws are all only 5 mins away, I'm assuming for the first few weeks they'll be at my house alot any way wink.gif

I had my last offical day at work on Friday, but if there is still no sign of her coming I might just pop in for a few hours next week to help out. I can't sit around the house waiting & everything is done, the nursery is just waiting for a baby.

DP & the boys are forever wandering into the nursery & having a look around, poor things are getting impatient

Edited by Snafu, 31 March 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#13 irises

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

That does sound sh*tty, turnip! Here's hoping you go into labour soooooon. Tonight. So you at least get two days with the new babe before your daughter is on holidays.

AFM I'm feeling verrry strange tonight. No other way to describe it. I can't pinpoint what it is. Kind of spacey, vague, slightly light headed? No pain of any kind. Probably nothing original.gif

#14 J3NN1

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Hey guys,

Its been ages since Ive posted in here, mainly because I have joined the facebook group  

ANYWAYS, Just wanted to say......Look At My Sig!!!!   ARGH!! Hurry up little one, I am so wanting to meet you. Can't believe the day is almost here!!

I have had braxton hicks, on and off the last few days, but nothing that turns into anything of significance.
Haven't lost my plug that I know off....did have a moment this morning when I thought my waters had broken, but (TMI) it was just loose/runny discharge, well I assume it was because I haven't had any more, though it was very strange.

DH took some lovely black and white photos of my bump (and boobs   ) this afternoon, was getting worried we would forget to do it.

Anyway hope everyone is well, I will definitely let you all know when she arrives and name etc.

#15 dizzy-anne

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

J3NN1 40 weeks how exciting!  I'm one week behind you and getting excited too.  It sounds like part of your plug might be coming away - getting ready!!  Hope your bub makes their arrival soon!

#16 CalC

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

Well due tomorrow and had a midwife appt today. Head is now 3/5 engaged comapred to 2/5 a fortnight ago. Still havent dropped. Was funny because she didn't even need to feel anything to know where the backside was. Always sticking it towards the front. See the midwife again next Tuesday (OB is away all of next week). Purchased some Rasperry Leaf tablets as I do not want to end up with an induction.

#17 Little Duck

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

I'm totally in the same boat CalC (gone backwards from 2/5 to 3/5) - so depressing! I'm 39+1 so I shouldn't be so impatient but I totally am, especially as I'd had DS1 by this point so I was really hoping to go early again. I know it will happen eventually but so hard to wait patiently!

#18 susannah1

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Hi All

Im due in a week but decided not to join a DIG as my last DIG is still going strong on FB and some of us have had another baby since June 2010. But now that the baby is nearly here Im breaking into a cold sweat trying to remember everything you need to know with a newborn! I would love to join if you would have me. My name is Suzi and I have a 22 month old DD and this is #2. Due date is 30th April.

#19 readyandraring

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Hi Susannah

Of course you are more than welcome to join, we have all gone a bit quiet recently as a lot of us are on Facebook as well as busy with newborns. PM me if you want to join the Facebook group, I am finding it so helpful with my newborn.

So my news!!! My daughter was born on 17 April at 5:59pm. The labour was rather fast and we needed some help at the end as her heart rate dropped but my obstetrician was amazing and the midwives so supportive. Giving birth away from home was daunting but we felt well looked after and my husband was amazing.

We have named our daughter Sadie and we are just in love, she is sleeping and feeding so well at the moment and are just taking it a day at a time.

Hope to see this DIG get a bit more active again!

#20 readyandraring

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

oh he is cute! I am sorry the birth was so traumatic for you. Send me a PM with your name on Facebook and I will add you to the group

#21 dizzy-anne

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

Congratulations on the birth of hunter!

#22 Becwb

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

He is gorgeous !

#23 nessrose

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hi ladies,

Congratulations to all those who have had their bubbies.   original.gif

So our news as well!  Our gorgeous little girl, Grace Victoria was born at 1.35am on Anzac Day, 53.3cm and 3.5kg.

Was a bit of a dramatic birth by emergency CS. After having 3 other vaginal births (even with twins), was not expecting a CS at all. I guess that goes to show that every birth is different.

Anyway, my waters broke at 11pm on Tuesday. We went straight to hospital as there was meconium in the waters. Fluid was greeny brown. The OB decided to do a CS after her heart rate began to drop with each contraction and the meconium was thick. After she was born she had to spend a day and a half in special care as she had trouble breathing and had to go on antibiotics because of the meconium.

We're home now though. She is doing beautifully and her 4 sisters are absolutely thrilled. original.gif

#24 dizzy-anne

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Congratulations nessrose!  Glad things are going well now after your unexpected delivery!

#25 readyandraring

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Congratulations Ness, so glad you are all doing well  bbighug.gif

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.