Subsequent pregnancies after C/S

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 BeachedAsBro

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Just curious. When I was PG with DD, I can remember stretching pains in my uterus around the 8 week mark. Since I've had a C/S (no labour) which healed with no problems & I don't seem to have any numbness that some women report, I wonder about pain during the next pregnancy.

Should I expect to feel pain, particularly at the scar site? Also when having a subsequent C/S, did you have a harder recovery, or more scarring, nerve damage etc.

I'm not PG, still in the thinking about TTC. I'm not convinced about giving DD any siblings yet.

#2 Lightning_bug

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

For me, I'd say both pregnancies felt the same.  The same stretching sensation and the same discomfort.  Nothing changed after the first c/s.

But the recovery time the second time around was fantastic.

The first time around I was out of commission for the full 6 weeks.  The pain, more a pinching sensation than pain per se, was constant.

The second time around - I was out of bed 2 hours after surgery.  By day five I felt great and I would say, all up, I back to normal in less than two weeks.

#3 tinkster23

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

I gotta admit I got a bit excited by this post. But to answer your question- I never had any pain with the second pregnancy that wasn't similar to what I'd felt the first time.

#4 ollies-mum

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

This is my 2nd pregnancy and with my first ended up with emergency c/s. I can honestly say all the stretching pains are no different at all and no pain or weird feelings around my scar at all. Infact i think i had less stretching sort of pains this second time round.

#5 mummyk8

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

I've now had 3 caesars and with my 2nd and 3rd I had new pain from the middle of the pregnancy onwards from what turned out to be adhesions to the scar site. This was more apparent when I had full bladder as the adhesions were to my bladder. This is apparently very common. I had no extra pain around my external scar site at all and after my 2nd caesar I found the recovery easier. The only hindering factor for numbers 2 & 3 was that I had 1 then 2 extra little people to worry about.
Subsequent caesarians are better in the sense that you know the drill and you seem to know your body a bit better.
I envy the PP who was out of bed within 2 hrs. There was no way anyone was letting me out of bed for 24hrs post surgery and that was in 2 different hospitals in 2 different countries.

#6 Lightning_bug

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (mummyk8 @ 26/03/2012, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I envy the PP who was out of bed within 2 hrs. There was no way anyone was letting me out of bed for 24hrs post surgery and that was in 2 different hospitals in 2 different countries.

It helps if they 'forget' to put the balloon in the catheter properly and it fell out!  I held on for 2 hours before telling them I refused to use a bedpan and would be going to the toilet.  Considering the mess I threatened, they didn't argue.  LOL.  I'm glad I did too... I can't believe how much easier it was compared to the first time around.

#7 kelly05

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

i agree with the much much faster recovery time ..first c sect was horrific and long recovery second was a breeze!midwives and nurses encouraged getting around as soon as i was comfortable which was in first 3 days.... didnt have any pain on scar site at all during pregnancies 2 and 3 but it has been numb since the first one 8 years ago! hope this helps original.gif

#8 BeachedAsBro

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Sorry Tinkster! Haha.

You've all given me hope, I had a bugger of a time the three days post, barely able to walk to the toilet, let alone do anything else, so an easier recovery time sounds wonderful.

Thanks for your answers too original.gif

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

No extra pain or any discomfort post c/s in subsequent PGs.

The only discomfort I had was the scar which went hypertrophic every time (I have since discovered cortisone injections fix that).

Recovery for my next 2 c/s were better, but I think that was more due to knowing what to expect.

Oh yeah I was up out of my bed 10 hrs post my first so not bad in itself.

Edited by lsolaBella, 26 March 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#10 tibs

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

I didn't notice any extra pain, and am expecting baby#3 now.  

I was out of bed approx 2 hours after both my c-secs, I didn't have the catheter left in after the op which is great as they don't make you stay in bed for so long and getting up and moving around as soon as possible helps so much.  Ask you Ob about it, my friends Ob routinely removes the catheter after the op because in his experience he believes it gives a faster recovery which is how I heard about it.  Mine doesn't but I asked her if I could do it that way and she let me on the condition that if I was too unwell to get up and hadn't managed a wee in the toilet within 4 hours I'd have to get the catheter put back in, ouch!  I'm going to get the catheter out on the table with my next c-sec too  biggrin.gif

#11 Soontobegran

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

I got a teeny bit excited when I read the start of your post BAB :-)

#12 ms flib

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

I think there was a point where my scar was itchy late in the pregnancy but it wasn't a problem. I didn't have another caesar but had completely straight forward births. The scar was not an issue.

All the best with your decision!

#13 bikingbubs

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

So far I have had no difference in terms of stretching etc, but I have noticed my scar has been itching on and off! I too didnt lose much sensation so thought i might feel more.

#14 Guest_Starletta_*

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Beached, I am 22 weeks and I have had a bit of itching around my scar but that is it so far original.gif

#15 lactasticmama

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

22 weeks here, and have had no pain what so ever.

The only twinge I had was in the very early weeks, and it felt similar to when I may of slightly over done it in the weeks recovering from my c/s with DD2. Not painful, just a slight stretching twinge. Haven't had anything since.

#16 BeachedAsBro

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Sorry STBG! You'll know if and when original.gif

Thanks very much for your advice ladies, I do appreciate it.

Next time I'll be going in requesting a PCA for post op. I think there was a problem with my spinal which obviously compounded my pain relief (it was wearing off one hour after the baby was born, in recovery and I couldn't get the nurses to give me extra pain relief. I also was still paralysed 12 hours afterward, but could feel everything, including pain).

#17 Guest_Craptacular_*

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Ooooh I got excited for a minute there as well!

#18 BeachedAsBro

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Craptacular @ 26/03/2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooooh I got excited for a minute there as well!

As if you'd find out here first! LOL

#19 samshine

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I got a bit excited too BAB!

Nope, no pain here either.  Itching, yes.

I found the day of CS a more painful recovery this time, which was very suprising as with my previous one I had been through 12 hours of labour to full dilation prior, 2 nights of no sleep and was absolutely exhausted so expected that an elective recovery would be easier.  However, this time my spinal wore off within the hour (last time was eventually under GA), I had only oral pain relief and had a syntocin infusion for 8 hours post CS to stop bleeding which caused awful contraction type pain so maybe that's why.  My ob had given me the option of requesting my IDC and IV be removed that afternoon post syntocin finishing and getting up which I fully planned to do but found I couldn't.  I literally couldn't move an inch all night this time for soreness.  I got up at 5am the next day (CS 9am the previous day) yet after my emergency CS had managed to get up 9 hours post CS.  I did feel much better getting up this time though, although that may have been due to not having the same amount PPH this time.

However, after mobilising the next morning from then on, recovery was great.  I found from 24 hours post op onwards suprisingly easy.  Three weeks down the track and I have had a few small issues in the last week but I think that's my fault not adhering to the 'rules' of recovery  wink.gif

#20 BeachedAsBro

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Congratulations Samshine! I'd missed the news of your latest arrival. See your experience scares me out of having another because I had everything you did except the labour & GA. The nurses in recovery wouldn't give me extra pain medication.

#21 samshine

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

Oh no, don't let it scare you, I didn't want that  sad.gif   Yes, I was sore on post op day but overall it was an amazing experience compared to previously.  

I would just plan to be very firm with what you want in terms of post operative analgesia.  Make sure you get a pre op consult with the anaesthetist and explain your concerns and what you would like this time.  From my DIG I have found a lot of obs/hospitals prescribe IM peth/ sc morph for the post op days.  A few even had their spinal still insitu for a day and had pain relief via that which I would imagine would be very effective!

Another thing I think helped - from Day 1 I was allowed PR Voltaren (I wasn't allowed on day of surg due to my previous large PPHs) and I swear that made a huge difference.  Within an hour of the voltaren I moved so much more easily, and I kept that up for the next 48 hours.  Might be worth keeping in mind

#22 BeachedAsBro

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

It's ok, please don't worry original.gif and thanks for the tip. Next time will be very different I'm sure.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.