How is your kindergarten going to deal with next years min 15 hours?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Miss_Missy_Moo

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hi, Just wondering how your kindergarten is going to implement the 15hours min that comes in next year?
Our kinder currently runs 2 4yr old groups only with one teacher and one assistant…
They only have one room so it is going to be a bit of a juggle on how they are going to do it?
Is your kinder in a similar situation and how will they deal with it??
thanks

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

DS1's old school already does a 3 day week for kindy.

Our current school did 3 days last year, but this year kindy enrolments are up and they are doing a 5-day fortnight.  DS2 goes on Thurs/Fri and every second Wed.  The other group is Mon/Tues and the alternating Wed.  
ETA: this option was decided after surveying the incoming kindy parents and holding a meeting.  The alternative was 2 full days and one half-day per week.

R

Edited by shmach, 25 March 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#3 allyr

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

Ours has two rooms. In one room there are 2 classes, in the other there is one. The preschool runs a five day fortnight, so three days one week and two the other.

So my boy goes full days Mon, Tues, Wed one week and then Mon, Tues the other. My friends son goes the Thur, Fri one week and then Wed, Thur, Fri, the next.

#4 naturalgoodness

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Ours is dreadful. Its broken up in Group A and Group B and here are the times

Group A
Monday 8.30-11.30
Tuesday 8.30-3.00
Wednesday 8.30-11.30
Friday 8.30-11.30

Group B
The afternoons with all day Thursday

This means that we are at kindy 4 days of the week and have to use childcare (and pay for the whole day) to be able to continue working. Only 3 terms to go  huh.gif

#5 *Mumma-to-A*

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

15 hours was implented this year for us (WA)

1 kindy class and 2 groups with 20 kids each. Each group has a different teacher.

Group 1

Monday morning 8.30 - 11.30 (I think)
Wednesday all day 8.30 -2.30 (early close on wednesdays)
Friday all day 8.30 - 2.50

Group 2 (DS class)

Monday Afternoon 12.10 - 2.50
Tuesday all day 8.30 -2.50
Thursday all day 8.30 -2.50

Other schools is the area also do a 3day/2day fortnight and local catholic school just does 3 days a week (but 29 kids and only 1 class) Also another school is doing 2 days term 1& 2 and 3 days term 3&4.

#6 tibs

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Our 4 year old classes already do 3 days so 18 hours.  The 3 year olds go the other 2 days. We have two classrooms and each class has 1 teacher and 2 assistants with 20 kids.

#7 -Moxie-

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

We already have 15 hours. They have a 5 day fortnight (mon, Wed, fri one week, then tues and thurs the next.)
There are 2.5 classes as one is a K/PP
The main teacher does Mon-thurday with a different one doing every Friday. There is also a third teacher than floats around doing relief days in the junior section. The assistant seems to be there every day, but I think she does 2 half days in there.

Im in WA so Kindy is 4/5 year olds.

#8 tkenhrb

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Ours has two rooms. There are four classes. The preschool runs a five day fortnight, so three days one week and two the other.

So my DD goes full days Mon, Tues, Wed one week and then Mon, Tues the other. My friends DD goes the Thur, Fri one week and then Wed, Thur, Fri, the next.

#9 judy_

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

In WA where kindergarten is almost always at the school most schools are doing either 2 full days plus 1 half day OR 3 days one week and 2 days the next.

It is complicated by the fact that kindergarten and pre-primary teachers only do 4 days contact a week and 1 day non-contact.  This is stipulated in their award.  This worked well when kids did 2 full days.

My son will start in a british curriculum school in September.  He will be almost 4 - it's straight up 5 days.  7.30 - 12.30 so 25 hours a week.  He will be almost the oldest in the class, so some kids will be just 3 years old and going 5 days a week.  Then the following year it's 7.30 - 2.15 every day.  Some kids obviously will be just turning 4 years old.....

#10 spersephone

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

We are trying to work out how to do it.  I don't yet know whether it means we will reduce what we can offer to the three year olds or not.  As it stands, it is impossible to keep up the current hours for three year olds as well as implement the 15 hours for four year olds.

I should add that we are a single room premises, so there's physically not enough room for us to make the change without something suffering.

Edited by spersephone, 02 April 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#11 BentoBaby

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Does anyone have links to info on this? Does this mean you MUST send your child 15hrs? Is there any subsidy on fees?

#12 spersephone

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

What state are you in?

The government is mandating that four year old children have access to 15 hours of kindergarten a week.  They will pay subsidised fees for this, and the end result should be not too much different from whatever you're paying now to your provider.  However, in practice, it's hard to say how it will work.

But it's like school if I'm right, if you're sending the child to the kindergarten, yes, you should be sending them for the whole program, whether that be 15 hours, 18 hours etc.

#13 BentoBaby

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (spersephone @ 02/04/2012, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What state are you in?

The government is mandating that four year old children have access to 15 hours of kindergarten a week.  They will pay subsidised fees for this, and the end result should be not too much different from whatever you're paying now to your provider.  However, in practice, it's hard to say how it will work.

But it's like school if I'm right, if you're sending the child to the kindergarten, yes, you should be sending them for the whole program, whether that be 15 hours, 18 hours etc.

I'm in NSW. The kindergarten I looked at for my son is $53 a day with no rebates! 15 hrs would mean 3 days shchi is over $150 a week. I think there are likely to be many people out there who cannot afford this. It is a cummunity KU centre of average price in our area. The only alternative is a long day care centre with a preschool program. This works out at about $25 a day.

#14 tibs

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (spersephone @ 02/04/2012, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What state are you in?

I just can't see how this is going to work at all.  In NSW there is already a massive shortage of preschool places and demand already can't be met.  Fees are not subsidised and preschool is $45-$55 per day (over $5000 per year).  If the govt wants more children in preschool, where are the places going to come from?  And where will the money come from for the subsidy that will be necessary to make preschool affordable for all those that would like to access it?   unsure.gif

#15 spersephone

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

In Victoria at least, four year old kindergarten is subsidised, but three year old isn't. So it's a choice as to whether you want to send your child to both or just one year of kindergarten.

My kinder charges around $250 per term, or $1000 per year.  That's hard enough, but it's not helping the kinder much, they get very little funding from anyone other than the parents.

It's well known that the idea of 15 hours for four year olds, while admirable, is just not practical for some kinders, without sacrificing their three year old programs.  No-one wants to see the three year olds suffer, as that year is so beneficial to them, and obviously helps them to adjust to the four year old program the following year.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Earlychildhood/Pol...Pages/home.aspx

This is the basic premise of Universal Access and provides links to your state body for more information.

#16 upstyledown

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

This was implemented at our school last year. Our school has 3 Kindy classes. 2 of the classes have the same teacher, and the other class have a different one.

Kindy 1 & 3: Full Days Mon, Wed & Every 2nd Friday (different teacher on Fridays)
Kindy 2: Full Days Tues, Thurs & opposite Friday (different teacher on Friday).

We have a daycare centre attached to our school and they offer care for the Friday that the kids aren't at school so parents only need to pay for the day they use as opposed to every Friday.

It seems to be working well.

#17 tibs

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 02/04/2012, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is not the case all over NSW. DS's centre is only at about half capacity (there's 3 other preschools on this street alone, the suburb is inundated with childcare). The 2 days he does there's only 12-13 kids in the groups, it's wonderful. Fees are only $38 a day. You can get a subsidy, but you have to meet the work/study criteria and it's done in a weird way. Ask at your centre about it.

Wow are you in Sydney?  Heaps of my friends have kids (mostly 3 year olds or younger 4s) who missed out on spots and are on the waiting lists here and would be prepared to travel for a spot in a preschool rather than use daycare.  We are in the Hills District.

I do get the tiny amount of CCB on offer but it is just so little I don't think it does anything to address affordability and I wouldn't call it a subsidy, it is nothing like they have in other states where preschool is so much cheaper - $250 per term as a PP mentioned must be under $10 per day!  I don't think the CCB I get (which is the full amount you can get as I work) even reduces fees by $2 a day (from the $46 I pay!).

#18 tibs

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 02/04/2012, 04:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, sorry should have said. I'm in Sydney, boarding Blacktown and the hills district.

eta: I didn't know how much this alleged subsidy was, only that it existed. Hadn't got around to claiming it.

Oh I think I might know which ones you mean, I heard you couldn't go there unless you lived in the council area as they are run by the council?  I didn't look into it myself though as my DS luckily did get a spot, phew  biggrin.gif

Yeah don't bother rushing on claiming the money, I couldn't believe how little I got back after the sheer volume of paperwork they made me fill in for it   cool.gif

#19 #tootired

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

Very interesting thread. Our kindergarten will be offering this next year and I have no idea how it will work.

There is no possible way, I could juggle 4 half days....that is a worry.

I hope someone has suggested the 5 day fortnight at our kinder, that at least seems manageable.
For those that do the 5 day fortnight, what hours do they go?

#20 **Xena**

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (jodie25 @ 25/03/2012, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, Just wondering how your kindergarten is going to implement the 15hours min that comes in next year?
Our kinder currently runs 2 4yr old groups only with one teacher and one assistant€
They only have one room so it is going to be a bit of a juggle on how they are going to do it?
Is your kinder in a similar situation and how will they deal with it??
thanks

Our school bought it in this year. With the money the schools got given they built a couple of extra rooms so now they have 2 rooms for Kinder original.gif If they hadn't been able to do that I don't know what would have happened!

ETA: We don't have 3yo Kinder in Tas

Edited by **Xena**, 02 April 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#21 pia77

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

For those living in Victoria, you should definitely find out more information from the Victoria department of eduacation and early childhood development.

They have recently stated that kinders do not need to enforce 15 hours for 4 year old groups, if it has a detrimental effect on 3 year old classes- if it means the kinder needs to cut any 3 year old classes.

#22 spersephone

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Do you have a link? I haven't heard that and I'm involved in the committee, trying to figure it out for ours.

#23 Guest_Cathode_*

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Ours has been doing it for a couple of years now.
They have 4 kinder groups.
2 lots go Mon, Thurs and alternate Wednesdays.
2 lots go Tues, Fri and alternate Wednesdays.
So one week is a 2 day week, the other is a 3 day week.
Wednesdays are rostered with temp/part-time teachers.

Our kinder has always had 2 classrooms. But it has been getting a bit tight lately with enrolments usually at around 80 kids.

It is always nearly second term by the time I get the hang of which Wednesday is our 'on' day. laughing2.gif

#24 pia77

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

I haven't got a link but a letter should be coming out of the decd very soon. Our kinder received a letter and we will not be giving 15 hrs to 4 year olds next year but 12. I suggest you contact the department . I really don't understand why they have publicised it more.

#25 jaral

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Our kinder implemented 15 hours this year. It is a single room kindergarten and runs 2, 4 year old groups and 1, 3 year old group.

Monday morning is 3 yr old group

Tues - Thurs  8.30 to 4pm. group A.

Wed - Fri  *.30 to 4pm. Group B.

Alll is going well so far and it seems so work wonderfully for the working parents.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.