Putting baby to bed awake
Has anyone successfully done this?!

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 ~ky~

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

My little girl (10 weeks) does go down awake most nights and will drift off quickly and mostly without any fuss. We don't stand there patting her etc - she is reliant on her dummy as comfort and it usually only takes a couple of sucks once it is plugged in and she is out to it!

She is put to bed as soon as we notice she is getting tired. If she gets overtired and overstimulated she tends to fight sleep and get really cranky, wakeful and upset.

We don't do a feed, bath, bed routine as she loves her bath so much that it overstimulates her if she is tired. I made the mistake of bathing her just before going to the doctor today right at the time she was wanting to sleep and ended up with a screaming baby who dropped off just before we were called in for her immunisations. Cue one overtired and miserable baby until she conked out this evening.

It depends on her level of tiredness as to whether she is wrapped or not. If she is a little overtired, wrapping seems to help calm her. If she goes to bed just as she is getting tired, she can drift off without being wrapped. She seems to startle more when overtired.

I have found that knowing when my child is starting to get tired is the key. No overstimulation at night helps and a washing machine/dryer/something rhythmic can help them drop off.

I have put all three of my children down to sleep awake and all have slept well and with little fuss. Even now, at 9yo and 11yo my older children show tired signs and if I send them to bed then, they drop off almost immediately.

I'm loving my little one's sleeping patterns at the moment. I'm getting 8-10 hours a night uninterrupted sleep. Well, at least I would be if I ever went to bed at a reasonable hour  blush.gif

#52 lozoodle

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

Yep I did this.

DD1 was about 12 weeks old before I started doing this, but with DD2 I started at the 6 week mark and I just did what I did with DD1 as that worked well.

So for us it was wrap tightly, put in cot, put white noise / music on, put dummy in, walk out. At first I sometimes had to keep going back into replace the dummy every few minutes for up to an hour, it really does take a bit of patience. But I never left them to cry it out or anything. A slight grizzle sometimes, but never if it started to escalate.

The key is consistency. Whatever approach you take, you just need to make sure its the one you always take. It wont be an instant change, these things are gradual. If baby seemed squirmy I would sometimes pick up for a quick cuddle, rub their back, and usually they'd let out a burp or fart. Then they'd be laid back down in cot, dummy in, and out I'd go.

After about a week all i took was putting them in the cot and putting the dummy in once, saying "night night" and that was it. No having to go back in.

I'm a huge fan of this method because it meant during the night if they woke unsettled all I'd have to do is go back and put the dummy back in and they'd go back to sleep for a few hours.

#53 alli01

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

We found with our first as with all new mothers fnding their feet that consistancy was the key.  We rocked our DD to sleep to start with and then after a while of doing that she'd wake up when she realised we were'nt there, so we had to try and stick to the putting her to bed awake and re settling her when she'd cry sometimes it took up to an hour hour and a half, but she near a year old when we did this too.  We learnt the hard way by not sticking to the same thing and it just confused her.  At 3 she is a great sleeper now and goes to bed no prob's.  At 6 weeks they are so small, so don't stress aout rocking them to sleep some nights or extra feeds.  Read your child too, as every baby is different.  Our DS who is now 6 months old was a different story we put him to bed awake now and have for about the last 2 months, he lets you know when he's tired by grizzling rubbing his eyes hands at his head and arching his back.  To start with as a newborn we swaddled him which worked.  At night he's better, will fall asleep in 5 after we put him down, cause he knows it's bed time.  During the day, he'll protest but I just keep going back in there and tuck him in give him a kiss and try not to engage in too much conversation or eye contact and he settles more quickly.  Doesn't cry just yells LOL.   if he's hungry too he won't settle.   Good luck.

#54 paddyboo

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Pat used to have a bottle then go into the cot awake and he would go to sleep. We have done this since he was born.

#55 Thinking about it

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

This has to be the toughest part so far - concerns about sleep have been with me for a while now. My son is almost 9 weeks old atm (first child too) and is learning about settling. First week or actively trying to put him down and settle was the hardest, he would scream the house down for us to hold him and rock him to sleep which is what he was getting prior to 6 weeks. We do not leave him to cry it out, we sit with him and shush / pat now but it took a few weeks to see results at all. I think it is progress when previously we would put him down and he would scream to be picked up, now he is able to lie there quietly for a bit before crying out if he is still unable to settle to sleep immediately. The conclusion i have come to is pretty much what the other mums are saying, that it takes time to learn to self settle for most babies. Persistence for the last 3 weeks has seen for us some results, I don't think that any child is born with the ability to self settle and even then it is tempered by personality of the child and other issues along the way. I wish there were some reference manual but we have had to experiment and try different things to see what works. Not sure that it helps you but we put baby to bed either awake or drowsy, sometimes he goes down easily and other times it takes more effort to settle, but that's life with babies! Agree that consistency is definitely the key, also don't chop and change what you are doing immediately as this results in inconsistent approach. I'm working my way through it myself so it's all a learning curve for me and baby too.

#56 LittleSister

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (Shady Lane @ 23/03/2012, 07:57 PM)
14426654[/url]']
huh.gif Because we like to make more work for ourselves?

Don't have to get snarky. What she was saying (as far as I can tell) is why don't more mums try this method? I'm not a mother myself but you probably already know that some people think that they already know all there is to know - so don't bother researching to find out.

#57 Feralishous

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

i just boob to sleep.
shes out like a light in a few minutes, and apart from an occaisional 3am feed (until we nightweaned at 18months) sleeps till its morning.
works for us.

#58 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (trishalishous @ 12/04/2012, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i just boob to sleep.
shes out like a light in a few minutes, and apart from an occaisional 3am feed (until we nightweaned at 18months) sleeps till its morning.
works for us.

This approach is great if you have one who stays asleep.  If you have one who wakes every hour or so overnight you have to start teaching self settling or you go bonkers.

#59 hollysmama

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

My DD would never sleep unless I rocked her to sleep.  It took time, but she eventually went to sleep and it was the only way I could get her to sleep. It lasted until she was 6 months. IMO, you are not teaching your 6wo to self settle by letting it cry for 40 mins while you pat it.  Not all babies know how to self settle or learn how to self settle until much much later.  Do what you can to get him to sleep, rock him for an hour if you have to.  He has to sleep some time if there's nothing actually wrong with him. Watch for when he's tired, then start trying to get him to sleep.

#60 anon4000

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

My baby is nearly 3 weeks old and she pretty much falls aslpee on the boob all the time,

Edited by anon4000, 16 March 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#61 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

I think it works for some babies and not others.

My DS would not go to sleep on his own if you put him in the cot awake. He would scream and scream and scream. I would wrap, pat, ssshhh and all the rest and nothing worked. I rocked him to sleep in my arms till he was well over 12 months.

My DD on the other hand did learn to go to sleep in the cot by herself from about 6 weeks. I would just wrap her and pop her in and off she would go. I thought it was a miracle.

#62 jenooo

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

My little boy is just over 5 months and he has always needed to either be rocked or fed to sleep. However in the last week or two I have been able to put him in bed drowsy (we still feed before bedtime) but not asleep, and he shuffles and fidgets for a few minutes before drifting off.

I have recently stopped going in to resettle him mid-nap as it only seems to wake him up more now, and I've discovered he will go back to sleep himself if I leave him to it for 10 min or so (he doesn't wake crying, just cooing), so I think this newfound skill has made its way to the beginning of the nap as well. It may all change again  next week, so I'm not counting any chickens just yet, but it's nice to see him relaxed enough to do this now.

I honestly thought we'd be rocking to sleep at 1yo but it seems to me he just figures out these new skills and makes his own changes when he's ready. As PP have said though, all babies are so different and some need the reassurance of having you there to help them sleep.

#63 hyperkitty

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

Put my 3 week old to bed awake for the first time last night (Nature called lol) and she grizzled for about 30-45 seconds before she settled and went to sleep. By the time I got back upstairs from the bathroom she was almost out like a light. no shushing or patting so I left her.

She was drowsy when I put her down though so not 100% awake.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.