Pregnant at 42
Having a child later on in life

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Anita42

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

So I just found Out I am pregnant, wow at 42! My eldest is 19 and dating! and my son is 16, I trully believe in miricles and God has really done a big one for me. My question is there any other mums my age bracket who is experiancing a pregnancy in later life, I really need some encouragement here, (my husband is elated) biggrin.gif

#2 Lim Lam

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Wow !!! Congratulations

#3 Bibendum

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

I don't belong in this section - I'm due in July - but am also 42, with an 8-year-old son, and pregnant.  There is an area for older mums if you'd like to read the experiences of others in similar circumstances.  

Congratulations and best of luck with your pregnancy!

#4 FeralSis

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

No advice but congrats!

I am 36, DH is 37.

We have a 14, 12 and 8 year old and had a bonus baby in November.

Love it!

You will be fine. Enjoy...

#5 cathstash

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

congratulation a baby is always good news.
i was 41 when i had dear son through ivf. it was our first ivf attempt and we only consider ourselves extremely lucky. ds will be 1 in april and i thought we'd be happy with one miracle but i truely wanted another. so we went through the whole process again  but have had two unsuccessful transfers sad.gif we'd love to try again but money is an issue at the moment. our fs has given us a cut off age of 46 but i wouldn't want to be pregnant much older than 42/43.
i hope your journey is a safe and happy one biggrin.gif

#6 kez71

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

I 40 and pregnant with our first. Im due Nov 1st! Congrats!!

#7 Blingy

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Congratulations! I'm sitting here feeding my surprise baby who is 10 weeks old! I'm 42and have a 24 and 17 year old! I honestly didn't find the pregnancy to be hard, and I worked right up til I had baby, I'm on my feet for my entire shift, so did have sore feet by the end of the day

I had horrible Morning sickness that had me in hospital on a drip three times and on medication til about 18 weeks, but I had the same with my first two

The birth was quick and straight forward, if there is anything I can help you with you can send me a message and I'll be more than happy to help anyway I can.

If you're anywhere near me I'm happy to catch up for a chat

#8 Natttmumm

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Congrats wow exciting news

#9 Super Cat

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Congratulations!! I don't belong here either but had my last baby at 40. You'll love being an 'older' Mum. We're so much more relaxed and experienced original.gif

#10 Lisy-lis

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

First of all  -  Congratulations!!

I don't belong here, but I was a first time mum at 44.  My baby girl was conceived naturally which was a big surprise for me, my DH and our IVF clinic - my pregnancy was confirmed at the first appointment.

For the last 10 years or so I had come to believe I would never marry or have a baby.

I have never known such contentment.

I think the *relaxed* bit is because we know just how quickly time passes -   I was an adult in the mid-80s - so I don't worry about what doesn't get done today if I'm too busy holding the baby, or swimming with the baby, or sleeping with the baby  biggrin.gif

#11 Guest_V's mummy_*

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

I've got no advice but congratulations!!!!

#12 kpingitquiet

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Another non-group-member but I wanted to tell you, my great-grandma was a working mother of two teenagers when she became pregnant at 39 (in the 1940s) and I imagine she flipped out a fair bit biggrin.gif My great-aunt, the product of that pregnancy, is far and away my favorite relative and she is extremely close with my grandma (13yr gap sisters) and adored her parents. My great-grandma lived til just past her 95th birthday and saw all her grandkids grow up and was there for the childhoods (and adulthood, for me!) of most of her great-grands. That's a pretty good run, I'd say original.gif You'll be fine and fantastic. Best wishes to you and all your fellow DIG members. This was my group 2 years ago biggrin.gif

#13 digitaldorothy

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hi everyone

Just found out I'm pregant last week.  Not sure whether due November or December yet so have posted in both groups until I get my scan on Tuesday!

I am 37, DP is 44 - this is my first pregnancy.  Unplanned but very much wanted.  Due to my age I am freaking out a bit - it seems that everywhere I look I see stories about miscarriages and issues/problems.  Trying to stay positive, but it's really hard!

#14 BulaFiji

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Congratulations more and more ladies are giving birth at a later age, so you are not alone and its very common.  You will be fine.  My sister had her first via ivf at 40 and her 2nd at 43.  I love my nephews they are now 5 and 2 and my sister is coping well.  I have to say that a few times people would ask her if she was the grandmother but she took it well.  

digitaldortothy - Im 38 and pregnant for the first time due 8 Nov.  Congratulations to you on just becoming pregnant.  Please dont panic and worry about miscarriages and problems.  Why is it us ladies think about the worse case scenario?  Stop reading about all those things as too much information will only give you a headache and make you feel worse.  God has given us a gift and we are all very lucky to get pregnant at our age. You were saying it happened unplanned, sometimes when we dont stress about things they happen.  Things dont often turn out the way we plan, I was married and thought that my marriage would last forever and that we would have a family after lots of trying but unfortunatley that didnt happen.  I later found a special guy and we tried for 2 years then we decided to give it a break for 2 months with a view to try IVF and then when the month that I didnt track my cycle and didnt stress out about it, I conceived on valentines day which was a great suprise.  Once you have your first scan it will put your mind at ease.

#15 Mummy Duck

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Congratulations and Im another one!

bs 13yo - surprise pregnancy
bd2yo - 9 yes 9 cycles of IVF

at this point we thought we had no chance of natural conception. Im now 8 months pregnant and will be 40 next month.

Its exciting!

#16 mum-of-10

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

Congrats, how exciting! I'm 45 and pregnant with #11. I'm also a grandma. I don't belong in this group though as I'm due in August. Just wanted to say congrats and hope you enjoy your pregnancy  original.gif .

#17 chloe69

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hi AnitaI'm 43 and am looking forward to the safe arrival of healthy baby #2 in November 2012.Congratulations on your "miracle" pregnancy!
Chloe

#18 l-m-n-o-p

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hi Anita42

I haven't officially joined this DIG, but I have been checking in every now and then.
I am 41 and my second baby is due in November (I had my first at 40).

Sometimes I feel very old and wonder how I will cope with two under two, but I survived my first trimester (with its crippling fatigue and nausea) while still managing to keep my toddler (moderately) entertained and am hopeful for the rest of the pregnancy (and beyond).

Congratulations and here's to smooth sailing!

#19 LouwithTwo

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

I'm 24, expecting my second...

My Mother's Group (being from a tiny country town) has about 10 mother's in it -- all around the age of 40 (with the exception of myself and another 31 year old.).

They are all fabulous with their little ones, and we all sit around like there isn't a day age gap between us.

You can be a "new mum" at whatever age.... even with grown up kids!

Enjoy and congrats!!!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.