Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

New thread time, apologies for delay!

Link to last thread

#2 Isadora

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

Yay Gold  biggrin.gif

These threads are moving fast!

Love reading about everybody's travel plans original.gif

I posted a seperate post re seating on our SYD-LA flight, not sure how to go 2+2 or 3+1 as it looks like the seats are all three across

Off to Sydney for the weekend for more sport, catch up next week

#3 Jo_P

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:01 AM

THE LIST:

mjaler – 22nd March – April 2012 19th

kpingitquiet - March 2012 - San Francisco, DC/Maryland, Virginia, Charleston, LA

Becca81 - 28th March - 30th May 2012, LA, Miami, Quito, Miami, Orlando, New York, LA

kee/sicily - 3rd April 2012, Las Vegas, Miami, Cruise Bahamas, New York, Hawai

Coffeegirl - 14th-28th April 2012, SYD-LAX-NYC-LAX (Las Vegas/San Fran/San Diego-undecided!).

Isadora - 21st April 2012 - 14th May 2012, Anaheim, New York, San Diego, Las Vegas

Whipmix - 7th May - 14th June, Hawaii, Las Vegas, San Diego, San Fran, New York, LA, Hawaii

~mony - 11th May - 2nd June 2012 – LA, Orlando, Disney Caribbean Cruise, San Francisco

Satay chicken - 13th June - 2nd July 2012, LA, Vegas, Pismo Beach

2girlzandhoney - 16th June - 25th June 2012, LA, Anaheim

Cushla - June/July - Anaheim (Disneyland), Santa Monica, San Simeon, San Francisco, Portland

CTCT, 29th August 2012, Las Vegas, San Fran, Yosimite, San Fran, Monterey, Santa Barbara, LA, Anaheim

SleepyJean  August 2012, Hawaii

kee/sicily - 8th September - 14th September 2012, Hawaii

*Marti* - 12th September 2012, New York

barrington - 14th September - 8th October 2012, US/Canada

KNL909 - 15th September - 3rd October 2012, Anaheim, Disney Cruise to Mexico

cassi8 - 18th September - 3rd October 2012, Anaheim, Las Vegas, Hawaii

snugglybug - 22nd September/October 2012, Anaheim, Yosemite, Las Vegas, LA

Jo_P  - 22nd September - 12th October 2012, LA, Sequoia, Yosemite, Disney Wonder Pacific Coast Cruise, Anaheim

rob6712col 25th September 2012, LA, Orlando, DC, Gettysburg, Philly, Boston, Niagara Falls, Albany, NY, LA

FionaM - September 2012, Hawaii

potato - September 2012 - Honolulu, LA, central coast California, Disneyland

Read-y - September 2012 - Hawaii (Maui, Big Island, Oahu)

Mum2KCIandS - September/October 2012 - Hawaii - Los Angeles, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Orlando, New York and then a cruise to Canada/New England

chobbs3 - September/October 2012, LA Grand Canyon, NY

Rowena - September 2012, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon

Peanut - September/October 2012, New York

thebarnwellb4 - 26th October, ?

Jaxxie - 30th October 2012 - 15th November

carls888 - October 2012, La, Vegas, San Francisco, Berkeley, Pebble Beach, San Diego, Seattle

maxmum - October 2012, Hawaii

Fabulous - late November 2012 to early January 2013 - Atlanta - Charleston - Savannah - Orlando - New Orleans

Brownie22 - December 2012, Hawaii

Kee - 8th April 2013-5th May 2013, South Pacific cruise, Hawaii

Madlock - Sept/Oct 2013 - Disney, Disney Cruise, Texas, Hawaii - Final plans TBA

CarnivalKid, June/July 2014 USA

If there's anyone who needs to be added or anything that needs to be updated, let me know original.gif

Edited by Jo_P, 24 March 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#4 Coffeegirl

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

Hi Jo_P.
Have had a change to itinerary

Now SYD-LAX-NYC-LAX (Las Vegas/San Fran/San Diego-undecided!).

Only 3 weeks to go  eexcite.gif

Isadora- I'd go 3-1 with the second parent sitting in front/behind.  Then you can swap for some quiet time.

#5 carls888

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

2girlzandhoney, check out the California Disney section in Disboards. There are huge threads about the BBBoutique.
Wow, how exciting for you all flying out soon.
JoP, we fly to Thailand in 4 weeks and I honestly have hardly thought about it. I hope you are alright with the flood situation, this rain is crazy!

C

#6 barrington

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

All you organised people are making me stressed about not having booked anything for our Sept/Oct holiday.

I'm struggling with what to do and in what order.  Argh!

DH's best friend currently lives in Toronto, so we're wanting to spend some time with them during our three weeks in the states.  

Do we fly there first, spend a week there and then fly to Phoenix.  A few days at the Grand Canyon and a drive to Anaheim.  Then a disney cruise for our last week.  

Or do we stay for the entire three weeks in the north east to save on the airfares criss crossing the country.

Please someone help me decide on what to do, without costing the earth.

ETA:  the kids will be 8, 6 and 3.  While they are great travellers, we try to make our holidays as 'kid friendly' as possible

Edited by barrington, 23 March 2012 - 10:06 AM.

#7 snugglybug

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Isadora, I was planning on doing 3+1 but have 1 on the opposite aisle. IF we can pick our own seats...which I don't think we will be able to sad.gif hopefully seats wont suck when we check in if we can't!

#8 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

Wow, this thread certainly is moving quick!

snuggly: Did you book through an agent? Is that why you may not be able to pick your seats? If that's the case then that's a bit sucky, you'd think booking through them would mean you can make all the selections you could if you booked online. I know that selecting seats can cost a little more but it's usually only about $5 - $8 per seat so you'd think they would have offered you that at the time of booking. I really hope you get the seats you want! DH and I always choose the last 2 seats on the right side of the plane (when looking down the aisle from the cockpit) before the middle toilets on all our Jetstar flights to Hawaii. There's no-one behind you to kick the back of your chair, I get a little space behind my seat to stash my handbag so I can grab it at any time, the chairs have that little bit more room to recline and I can get to the loo's easily - it's also where the water fountain is on the plane so we can grab ourselves a drink anytime we want. I don't find that being near the toilets is any more noisy than anywhere else. One time we didn't choose our seats and I ended up behind the bassinette with parents who didn't believe in comforting their screaming newborn who was terrified about the flight. That was a great 9 hour flight. We always choose our seats now so I hope you get to as well.

Isadora: Hope your seat selection works out too. Enjoy your trip to Sydney original.gif

barrington: Don't stress yourself about being organised, I'm obsessive compulsive about travel stuff and being super organised so I'm not the best comparison! In saying that though, DH and I work 2 jobs each so we need to be organised to make sure we don't run out of time. As for your flights, you'd only be looking at 2 flights about 5 hours each way so if you thought you'd all be able to sleep on the plane then you could try for evening flights and use time that you would only otherwise be using sleeping in a hotel. Even if you didn't get a huge amount of sleep during the flight, you'd be arriving into Toronto to your friends place where you'd be able to relax and unwind and then the flight back could be to another restful stay near the Grand Canyon - and then you end the holiday with some relaxation on the cruise. I think you could definitely make it work. There have been other EB'ers on here who have done far more rushing around with their kids and managed it just fine so perhaps check out your pricing options first and then make a decision.

Jo: In case I don't see you on here before you go - have an amazing time in Fiji! I look forward to hearing all about it when you return - although you get back the day I leave so I'll check in here from over in Hawaii original.gif

#9 New_display_name

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

what is the link to the cheap cruise site again??

I didnt save it in my list.

#10 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Becca: Vacations To Go original.gif

#11 snugglybug

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Kee - the TA said we couldn't pick seats when we got the tickets as she said it was too early!? I'm not confident in her abilities though, she also told us on the way back our bags would go right through to Canberra and we wouldn't have to pick them up in Melbourne!! Some sale flights with V you cannot pick seats. I have emailed the TA and if I get nowhere with her I will call V myself, I'm happy to pay a little extra to pick my seats! We only went through the agent as it was at the travel expo and they could get cheaper flights than I could find online. I have done everything else myself direct.

Edited by snugglybug, 23 March 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#12 Jo_P

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Snugglybug, have a look here Virgin Australia

Isadora, I would go 2 and 2 for the seats, then if you are really lucky you might score a spare seat!

barrington, whether you spend the whole time in the north east or just a week you will have to fly via LA both directions anyway, so there's no avoiding criss crossing the country and spending the money on flights!
I would go there first though, but have a one night stop over in LA to sleep and get recharged for the next flight original.gif

Edited by Jo_P, 23 March 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#13 Peanut

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

Yay, I'm on the list, six months to go!   biggrin.gif

(Thanks Jo_P).

#14 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

snugglybug: Here's hoping your agent or V can get it sorted for you. Last time I didn't select seats (it was just a domestic flight), when I checked in DH and I weren't even able to be seated next to each other. He was furious. I was silently pleased that I didn't have to sit next to the sleeping, snoring, dribbling monster and then admit he was mine when surrounding passengers complained! wink.gif

#15 New_display_name

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

thanks Kee.

Has anyone else looked at the website that Trip Advisor has launched
www.tingo.com

apparently if the room rate drops they refund you the difference..

I'm just popping over to check it out now

#16 Peanut

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Tingo isn't working for me, every search I do comes up with an error.   sad.gif

#17 coopersmum

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hi all,
I am traveling with my mum for her 70th ( no kids so not really family travel! ) .
It's just her and I are doing Syd/NY//DC/Vega/Syd. 2 weeks.

My question is how are you handling your money?

I was planning on doing a pre loaded visa debit card locked in at today's currency rate, with access to cash for smaller purchases.

What are you doing?

Thanks.

#18 Jo_P

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

coopersmum, we are using Amex travel cards and have used Travelex cash passport cards before as well. But if you have a Visa debit that locks in the current rate and the fees to use it aren't ridiculous then that is a good option.

#19 ~CTCT~

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

Hi All,

I am ready to be added to the list..heading to US on 29th August...

We are going to Las Vegas, San Fran, Yosimite N/P, San Fran, Monterey, Santa Barbara, LA (staying in Beverly Hills) and Anaheim for a total of 23 nights...

We are doing a combination of internal flights and driving ( am I mad)

I have never left the country before so whilst I am super excited, I am also quite anxious..

Looking forward to reading all about everyone's travel and picking up lots of tips.

Kate

#20 New_display_name

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

• 23kg of presents packed
• 43 kg of old clothes packed
• 1 kid 1/2 packed
• Other kid has just been given the packing list again and a prod. “you didn’t tell me to  pack my suit case mum”. “well you obviously stopped listening after I said get your suit case”
• Husband is on washing duty
• Hair cut for everyone and coloured for me

I still need to take everything out of the packed suitcases and take a picture, then repack and take picture again.
I’m now working on Tuesday, and have to squeeze in waxing, laser, injections, nails,  scanning in passports and injection cards, printing off any final documentation,

Some time tomorrow I need to fit in
• get more ribbon for bags
• munchies
• Name tags for passports

I can’t think of anything else....

#21 ~*Marti*~

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Where did you get the inflatable foot rest from Kee?

#22 snugglybug

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Becca- how exciting!!!! But I'd did get a wave of anxiety for a second thinking about having to pack and I've still got 6months. Good luck!

#23 ~CTCT~

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

Can anybody recommend places to eat  in San Fransisco that are family friendly and reasonably priced. We are staying near Fisherman's Wharf.

What would you say is a reasonable budget for meals per day for a family of 4.

Thanks Ladies

#24 minime3

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Could I be added to the list please? We will be going in September 2013 exact dates are still to be worked out. So far I have some places we would like to go  Anaheim 7 days, San Fran 2 days,  Vegas 3 days &  New York 5 days we will be hiring a car for most of the trip except for the New York leg.

Do you think $20,000 would be enough for the above holiday? Or should I aim to save more? There is 2 Adults 2 children and a 2 year old.

2girlzandhoney Our Daughters must go to the same dance school in Brisbane as they are planing the Disney tour.

#25 snugglybug

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

minime3 - I think $20000 would cover it. But it all depends on what kind of holiday you plan on having too of course, but as an average I think it would be ok.

I am undecided about Universal Studios (california), I have read its not that great for smaller children, mind will be 4 & 9. Maybe I'll just play it by ear when we get there, really dont want to spend the $$ and 1 or both kids are just tagging along for the day not really enjoying it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.