Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Bronze!! Yay that's my first.

#5 LittleJacksonOne

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

Haha you fast ladies!!

Hows everyone going today?

#6 Katie and Bump

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Thanks Hooloovoo, I think that may be the same for me too..

CM OVERSHARE COMING UP...

This may be TMI, but I need to know if my CM is normal! I've been thinking I've had EWCM for the last couple of days, but this morning I got a completely different CM that could in fact be proper EWCM.  When I was walking to work, I had a sudden 'gush' ( blush.gif ) and when I got to work, I had a lot of super thick CM that was long, stringy and sticky, with an off-white colour.

Could this be EWCM?  Fingers crossed..I've been waiting to O for a while!  Any help appreciated biggrin.gif

#7 Fingers Crossed!!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hey ladies - you guys were too quick for me to claim gold, silver or bronze!!!

Katie and Future Bump - thats sounds like EWCM to me - sorry TMI for me too but it sounds the same as me - feels like you have started your period in that you feel 'wet' and then there is a lot of stuff there when you go to the toilet! thats awesome that you are experiencing that in your first cycle off the pill - hopefully you will ovulate soon so it wont be a loooong cycle like I had! I didnt get EWCM until my second cycle!

Hooloovoo - sounds good for a early ovulation and glad you think you caught the egg anyway! fingers crossed for the next two weeks

AFM - ended up going home from work early yesterday with a migraine like headache and sore throat and general under the weather feeling! still having these cramps too and feeling a bit run down!

have booked my next acupuncture appointment and my acupuncturist wants me to come in on monday so thats 10dpo as its the perfect time to assist implantation...!!! ooo exciting!!

#8 katie11

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

Welcome to our TTC#1 buddy group!
We are a group of friendly ladies who are trying to conceive our first babies.
We are here to give each other support,
a shoulder to cry on, an ear when we feel like a rant and lots of hugs!

If you are also on the same journey as us,
please feel free to join our group,
just jump in and introduce yourself.

Please PM me as to where you are in your cycle and I will add you to the list
(you don't have to be on the list though!).
We look forward to chatting with you!

Newbies
waves.gif
Summers
poomacub
kam4695
foxy_feline
NSG

AF rant.gif
Katey Dee
Allie_D
LouiseS8
yodie86
morning rose
kmg82
Sunshiney

Waiting to O yyawn.gif
Thylacine
Chilli Dog
Cotchi
Hoovooloo
Heylee
AnnaBee87
Katie & Future Bump
Meg88
njs4dks
may b
kentieness
Paradise T

2WW
(testing date in brackets)
wwhistle.gif
LittleJacksonOne
katie11
kam4695
babyinabackpack
Fingers Crossed
Huxley123
johannasweet
mummafreedles
MaybeBaby83
doll13
Thalandria
babydreaming
NicoleTTC1
amyc1981
cat-ttc

Limbo Land unsure.gif

Ninja99
Kateep1

IVF Land cclap.gif
Alana Banana

Taking
time out ninja.gif
seaside_shells
MagsJee
pennyforurthoughts

Last BFP.gif
(5 Most Recent) ddance.gif
countrychic29
misslizzie
Chief Pancake Maker
Julesy Jules
expatchick
For those who have just
got their BFP.gif , the follow on thread is TTC#1 Grads Buddy Group. As TTC BG
area guidelines state that once a BFP is received/confirmed you need to stop
posting in this thread.

Edited by katie11, 24 March 2012 - 09:50 AM.

#9 LittleJacksonOne

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

FingersCrossed- sounds promising, but I do hope your feeling better!

katie11- thanks for the list, but I'm missing! hehe my pm still isnt working, could you add me to the 2WW please? testing next wednesday (28th) if i can wait that long hehe

Edited by LittleJacksonOne, 22 March 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#10 *Katey*

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

AF list for me please.

#11 ChilliDog

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

Katie & FB that does sound promising...fx for you it is EWCM and you're about to O!! I have trouble telling what my CM is like as regular BDing changes the substance and its hard to tell the difference. I dont rely on that to know when O is coming myself.

Katie thanks for the list...can you please change me to waiting to O? Thanks.

Fingers Crossed feeling so horrible could very well be an EPS. Lots of women report getting a cold/headaches/feeling generally tired and sick in early pg. Fx for you it's a sign!!!! Not sure if i should say hope you feel better soon or not...if it's not EPS then i do hope you feel better really soon!! tongue.gif

Hi everyone else waves.gif

AFM...did an OPK last night then again this morning. Last nights was still quite light but this mornings (not fmu) was quite a bit darker. Am thinking i might get a positive either tonight or tomorrow morning. Was hoping it would hold out another day or 2 so we could get some good BDing in on the weekend. Oh well...what will be will be. Guess even if it's positive tonight i might still be in with a chance if we BD on friday night when i get home as it takes another 12-48hrs to actually O after a +. The only strange thing is i havent had any O pain yet which i normall do so fx it might still be a day or so away.

Question for you all on OPKs...would you normally get a + at a certain time of the day?? As in does the hormone peak at specific times or is it more an individual thing? Or is it random cycle to cycle/person to person? Just curious is all.

#12 Katie and Bump

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thanks Fingers Crossed and ChilliDog...I'm mainly relying on OPK's but haven't even had a faint line yet, so I'm also checking CM as well.  I just checked again when I went to the bathroom and it's gone back to the watery stage rant.gif I give up haha

Fingers Crossed There's a fair few viruses going round at the moment so hopefully it's EPS and not that!

#13 Fingers Crossed!!

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Watery CM is still fertile CM so keep BDing just in case!! and some peoples OPKs go from nothing to positive overnight so O still might not be too far away - am keeping my fingers crossed for you

My sensible head knows its wayyy too early for EPS so am just hoping I feel better soon - not going to the gym today because little lightheaded still and headachey so am going to listen to my body and chill out today

#14 Three Of Hearts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Katie and Future Bump @ 22/03/2012, 12:02 PM)
14421925[/url]']
Thanks Fingers Crossed and ChilliDog...I'm mainly relying on OPK's but haven't even had a faint line yet, so I'm also checking CM as well.

I agree with Fingers Crossed!! I would keep checking. I get little to no line on an OPK and then in the space of a day they will darken up I'll get a + then the next day go straight down again. Don't give up just yet original.gif
AFM- Did an OPK earlier and I think I got a positive to excessive caffeine!!!  roll2.gif Didn't need that extra latte!!
Anyways, even with watered down pee (or should i say caffeined down!) test line is getting dark now so I expect a + either tonight or tomorrow  biggrin.gif
ETA- Should you have a temp drop just before O?  Cause I had a big one this morning!

Edited by Allie_D, 22 March 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#15 Katie and Bump

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the kind words Allie_D & Fingers Crossed original.gif

Good luck with your + Allie

FC - good call on not going gym. Hope you feel better

Edited by Katie and Future Bump, 22 March 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#16 babyinabackpack

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hi ladies!

How are you all today?

So with next month signalling our 2year anniversary of TTC, we big the bullet today and decided to go to the doctors and talk about getting some tests done. I didn't think we would actually end up getting tests done today though!!

So after waiting with all the visibly pregnant people for about 15mins I saw the Dr, and after telling him about our 2 years of TTC and showing him my temps and charts, he sent me across the hall for an ultrasound of my ovaries. All clear! YAY!

He then decided that it was time to get serious with the tests and ordered:
*A full on sperm test for Mr Man to test pretty much everything you can from sperm;
*A blood test from me to check my hormone levels and also my ovarian reserve (I didn't know you could do this by blood test but sure!)
*An HSG from me... I was a little reluctant to get an HSG, I have been trying to avoid as many invasive tests as possible and, well, I guess I was hoping it would never come to this.
But, sadly, it has. Also, I remembered that, I think it was meg said that her doctor mentioned that an HSG could actually improve your chance of conception!?! I did some googling (free wifi at the hospital!) and it seems pretty risk free so I have decided to get it done. The only problem is that I will have to take more time off work (after just taking 2 weeks off which I had to literally fight for!) so wish me luck with that..

Anyway, he didn't give much away as to what the next testing steps would be if all of these came back clear but wants to see me in 3 weeks for the results. We are still determined to not go down the AC path. At this point we are just trying to get some answers and, I guess, cross some possible reasons off...

And the best and most amazing part (and I am by no means trying to rub this in, but for all of the tests and consultation and pre-HSG drugs, the total cost was about $80 Australian.. Seriously, the medical care in this country is amazing.. It really makes me question why things cost so much in Australia and why they make people wait so long for tests..

Anyway, so that was my day! I am feeling pretty confident now we have finally started getting some tests done (and also pretty happy that I got AF today after a normal 26day 11LP cycle finally!). I'm just super nervous about asking for more time off work. Mr Man and pretty much everyone I know wants me to quit this job anyway, so I guess I shouldn't worry as much as I am.. But still...

I hope everyone else is well!!

A question to those who have had an HSG before - do they hurt as much as I've hurt? Also, all the information I was given is in Chinese.. Is there anything from memory that I can/can't do before it!?!

Thanks ladies! Have a wonderful wednesday!! Sorry for the me post - just needed to get it all out of my head.

#17 Iliketoflounce

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Coming back to write now yesterday i was out with my close friend and her 2 LO's anyway she tells she may have cervical cancer sad.gif she gets AF every 10 days and it lasts 7 days she has had so many tests and gets the results very soon. I am so sad at the news we have been there for each other she was the first friend to find out that im TTC she has 3 boys and 1 girl (who was born at 30+5 weeks and told she would not have after so many MCs) I can't bear seeing them with out her. anyway enough about me.

babyinabackpack YAY!!! for test hope they come out good and you can get that BFP

And I have now forgotten what i was going to say lol

Hi everyone else

Edited by njs4dks, 22 March 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#18 Cotchi

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (babyinabackpack @ 22/03/2012, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi ladies!

How are you all today?

So with next month signalling our 2year anniversary of TTC, we big the bullet today and decided to go to the doctors and talk about getting some tests done. I didn't think we would actually end up getting tests done today though!!

So after waiting with all the visibly pregnant people for about 15mins I saw the Dr, and after telling him about our 2 years of TTC and showing him my temps and charts, he sent me across the hall for an ultrasound of my ovaries. All clear! YAY!

He then decided that it was time to get serious with the tests and ordered:
*A full on sperm test for Mr Man to test pretty much everything you can from sperm;
*A blood test from me to check my hormone levels and also my ovarian reserve (I didn't know you could do this by blood test but sure!)
*An HSG from me... I was a little reluctant to get an HSG, I have been trying to avoid as many invasive tests as possible and, well, I guess I was hoping it would never come to this.
But, sadly, it has. Also, I remembered that, I think it was meg said that her doctor mentioned that an HSG could actually improve your chance of conception!?! I did some googling (free wifi at the hospital!) and it seems pretty risk free so I have decided to get it done. The only problem is that I will have to take more time off work (after just taking 2 weeks off which I had to literally fight for!) so wish me luck with that..

Anyway, he didn't give much away as to what the next testing steps would be if all of these came back clear but wants to see me in 3 weeks for the results. We are still determined to not go down the AC path. At this point we are just trying to get some answers and, I guess, cross some possible reasons off...

And the best and most amazing part (and I am by no means trying to rub this in, but for all of the tests and consultation and pre-HSG drugs, the total cost was about $80 Australian.. Seriously, the medical care in this country is amazing.. It really makes me question why things cost so much in Australia and why they make people wait so long for tests..

Anyway, so that was my day! I am feeling pretty confident now we have finally started getting some tests done (and also pretty happy that I got AF today after a normal 26day 11LP cycle finally!). I'm just super nervous about asking for more time off work. Mr Man and pretty much everyone I know wants me to quit this job anyway, so I guess I shouldn't worry as much as I am.. But still...

I hope everyone else is well!!

A question to those who have had an HSG before - do they hurt as much as I've hurt? Also, all the information I was given is in Chinese.. Is there anything from memory that I can/can't do before it!?!

Thanks ladies! Have a wonderful wednesday!! Sorry for the me post - just needed to get it all out of my head.

HI! I'm getting my HSG tom. Megg said it didn't hurt and we were both told it can increase your chances too, a bit like "a clean out" with saline is what my doctor said..  I dont think the HSG is that invasive, more like a papsmear. I prob wouldn't BD before the test but they didn't tell me that I needed to anything before the test or not to do.

I was due to go back to work tom after three weeks off, and had to take tom off because of the HSG, hopefully your work is as understanding as mine. You can get a certificate anyway and work really shouldn't ask you what is for anyway.

Good luck with all yours tests! XXX

#19 babyinabackpack

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Just a quick update. So I called my boss and told her I had been to the hospital and they had "ordered urgent tests for next week". I was surprised but she didn't ask any further questions just as to how long I would need off (I'm a teacher so will need to find a substitute) and to hope that I was okay.
So phew!
Good luck with your HSG tomorrow cotchi!! Is yours with saline?? Mine is with dye apparently!? I'd love to hear how it goes!! All the best and I hope it is a positive outcome!!

#20 Meg88

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

BIABP: that's so great that they are getting your tests done so quickly. I've gone through the public health system so far (despite having private health cover) and I havnt had to pay for anything yay! But $80 is still awesome compared to what some ppl have paid on medical stuff.

As for the HSG I had mine on CD10 (after AF finished but b4 O) and was told no unprotected sex between AF & the HSG, and also to take a pad to the hosp on the day for after the procedure. I took 2 panadol before I went in but really don't think I would of needed it. I really felt no pain just a little discomfort like a papsmear but for a little longer. And yes, they call it a dye because it shows up on the Xray but it Is a clear sticky liquid that gets administered through a catheter, through ur cervix & into your uterus. Only other things I was asked b4 the procedure was if I was allergic to iodine or shellfish/seafood.

Goodluck & let me know if I can help any further original.gif

#21 ChilliDog

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

BIABP thats great news. So glad you have gone to investigate things even if you dont decide to do anything too invasive. I think some of these simple tests can tell you a lot! Yay for clear ovaries ddance.gif thats awesome news. Hopefully your test next week and your Mr Man's test tell you something that will help you get that little bundle very soon!!! Not that i want anything to be wrong but i think some answers for you will be good!! Hope that came out right lol.

Nadia thats sad about your friend. Fx they find it's not the big C and they find another reason for her issues!

AFM i'm pretty sure i got my +OPK last night right before i went to bed. Havent had any O pain still which is odd for me! I couldnt do another this morning to see if the line was even darker or had dropped off as i didnt bring enough tests with me...grrrrrr!!! I'm just hoping that O will wait 24hrs so we can get a BD in tonight when i get home.

It was funny last night i sent DF a cheeky (naughty) text so when he woke this morning he got to read it and brighten his morning. dev (6).gif Seems he wasnt expecting it and now cant wait for me to get home tonight lol. tongue.gif

#22 babyinabackpack

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

Thanks so much meg for your insight and experience! I was given a page of instructions but can't really read very much of it! I will be having it done on CD7 about 3 days after AF finishes. Was there any restrictions on BD after the HSG? I think poor Mr Man will be about to pop by then..
I've been given some painkillers (Tylenol) to take for the day before the test and the day of it to ward off infection and to help with the discomfort. I might take some panadol aswell.
That's excellent you have been able to get everything covered through the public system!! What tests/ options have they offered you next?
Did you get to see the test results? When I had my ultrasound done yesterday there was a huge TV on the roof so I could see all the lines and squiggles where my ovaries apparently are! I can't wait til there is something more exciting to see!!

Have a lovely day everybody!! I'm off to Dr Sun to be stabbed some more. Just for fun..

#23 Sunshiney

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

CountryChic - congratulations!!  ddance.gif  Best wishes for your journey into the grads!  

Nadia - sorry to hear about your friend.  Hope you can be strong for her and whatever she's going through.  Thinking of you xx  hheart.gif

Katie and Future Baby - I have endo - but haven't had it confirmed by a laparoscopy because I want to try to treat it naturally and will only go down that path as a last resort if I absolutely must.  Don't want to have the op 'cos my friend almost died after hers because she had internal bleeding that wasn't discovered until she collapsed a few days after the op.  Plus it can grow back again after the op anyway.  So I'd rather change my diet and manage it that way because lots of women have successfully done that and then got their BFP.  I was shocked when I was first told because I hadn't realised that my PMS and AF symptoms weren't normal.  It was only the intense stabbing pains and swelling for 2-3 days at O that made me realise something wasn't normal when others on EB said they didn't experience that.  As awful as it is to be told that you might have endo, it's not a life sentence and you can manage it and achieve a BFP.  After being treated by a naturopath for the last 3 months, I now have no PMS, very little AF pain (and only for 24hrs), and have reduced the pain I feel at O to more manageable levels.  The worst things for endo are sugar, caffeine, cows milk, cows cheese and soy products (you can eat yoghurt though and sheep/goats cheese or milk).  The website I found with the best info on endo is: http://www.endo-resolved.com/index.html  

I'd definitely encourage everyone to read through the symptoms of endo because I never knew I had it for so many years and only discovered it when I was having trouble TTC.    

BIAP - Taiwan sounds like a great place to be going through all these tests if you have to do them somewhere.  Totally understand you wanting to resist the AC path, but having tests to identify what's wrong doesn't mean that you necessarily have to treat the issue with drugs or IVF.  Once you know what the issues are, you can research all available options.  I haven't needed a HSG, but my naturopath put DH and I though all sorts of tests so she' can best assist us.  Two years is a long time, so your doc would want to order lots of tests to get to the bottom of the issue as quickly as possible.  Once you know what the issue is, since you're in a country where 'alternative medicines' are considered more 'mainstream' than western medicines, I'm sure your doc will be understanding if you want to take a less invasive approach if that's possbile for whatever the issue is.  But that's a bridge to be crossed or not once the issue has been identified.  Sending you big hugs xx  hheart.gif        

Seaside - I think it's good to spend time now thinking about how you might cope as a new parent and thinking up strategies for how you might better handle it all.  No matter what sort of person you are, the first 6-8 weeks will be incredibly tough, especially as it'll be our first one and we won't know what to expect.  I think it's good to be honest and talk to your partner about what all your fears are and how you'll cope.  Maybe friends/family will have good tips on how they survived it worst bits? For both kids, my sis had days when she really didn't cope and just needed support to reassure her that it doesn't matter if you haven't showered in days, haven't changed out of your PJs in a week and are barely hanging in there - because it's totally normal to feel like that.

Allie - big temp drop for me is the day that O always happens.  Hope you got some BDing in!

AFM - I'm on CD2 today and so excited - only about 27 more days to go before we can start TTC again!!  My last cycle was all out of whack due to getting my wisdom teeth out before O and then being on antibiotics.  So I'm not going to worry about what happened there and am just going to remain positive that this cycle will be perfect and we'll restart TTC at the end of April.  

Hello to everyone else!   waves.gif Hope you all have a great weekend!

#24 Three Of Hearts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (ChilliDog @ 23/03/2012, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AFM i'm pretty sure i got my +OPK last night right before i went to bed. Havent had any O pain still which is odd for me! I couldnt do another this morning to see if the line was even darker or had dropped off as i didnt bring enough tests with me...grrrrrr!!! I'm just hoping that O will wait 24hrs so we can get a BD in tonight when i get home.

Got my + OPK just before.  Thought it was pretty dark last night, but this mornings was heaps more darker!! I haven't had much O pains yet either!  Weird!  FX you don't O for a little bit longer!

QUOTE (Sunshiney @ 23/03/2012, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Allie - big temp drop for me is the day that O always happens.  Hope you got some BDing in!

AFM - I'm on CD2 today and so excited - only about 27 more days to go before we can start TTC again!!  My last cycle was all out of whack due to getting my wisdom teeth out before O and then being on antibiotics.  So I'm not going to worry about what happened there and am just going to remain positive that this cycle will be perfect and we'll restart TTC at the end of April.  

Hello to everyone else!   waves.gif Hope you all have a great weekend!

I just got my + OPK this morning so hope it is tonight/tomorrow I O as we haven't BD'd in 3 days day OOOPS!! wacko.gif  Yay for being able to start TTC again soon!! Hope you have a great weekend too biggrin.gif

AFM- + OPK just now so better get to the BDing! LOL!  Didn't mean to let 3 days go by without BDing but these things happen!  Hopefully if I don't O till tomorrow we will still get a BD in the day before, day of, and day after O original.gif

Got a very very strong positive on the OPK, not sure if it is because I am having more of an LH surge this month or because I learnt I'd been holding the sticks in the pee to long!!  Either way the line came up instantly and would be at least double the control line!!

I have a question, which includes a TMI warning!
I used to check my cervix for it's position, but didn't realise about the whole softness bit until I joined EB.  I know if i'm not fertile my cervix is right down low, and when I am it's right up high (checked earlier and I can only just reach/touch it) but my question is what is the thing with it feeling like your nose (if not fertile) or your lips (if you are fertile)?!  I don't get it!  I always feel a sort of nub!  If i'm not fertile it's a much longer nub, and if I am it gets shorter and shorter, but I don't get the whole lips thing!!  Also when searching for a fertile opening to your cervix what should it feel like?  Mine sort of feels like a little slit and I can feel the slit getting bigger and bigger.  Is that right?

So sorry for the TMI! unsure.gif

#25 *Katey*

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (Allie_D @ 23/03/2012, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question, which includes a TMI warning!
I used to check my cervix for it's position, but didn't realise about the whole softness bit until I joined EB.  I know if i'm not fertile my cervix is right down low, and when I am it's right up high (checked earlier and I can only just reach/touch it) but my question is what is the thing with it feeling like your nose (if not fertile) or your lips (if you are fertile)?!  I don't get it!  I always feel a sort of nub!  If i'm not fertile it's a much longer nub, and if I am it gets shorter and shorter, but I don't get the whole lips thing!!  Also when searching for a fertile opening to your cervix what should it feel like?  Mine sort of feels like a little slit and I can feel the slit getting bigger and bigger.  Is that right?

So sorry for the TMI! unsure.gif

I don't go by the 'lips' thing. I just know when I'm fertile, my whole cervix feels.... swollen and larger. Like a big fluffy squishy cloud. And when I'm not fertile, it's quite hard and smaller and not really squishy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Christa Engles was changing her baby's nappy when tragedy struck.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.