Lactose overload

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 stardust81

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

I have been reading about lactose overload in newborns and am wondering if DS is suffering from this and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with it?

DS seems to have a lot of tummy pain, and spends a lot of time groaning, straining and crying. He sleeps well at night for the first part of the evening until approx 1am when he feeds and then will then go back down for 20-30 mins and then will spend most of the rest of the night awake and groaning, drawing up legs etc. He is also like this at various times throughtout the day. He has frequent explosive bowel movements also. Although I am sure it may be just normal newborn behaviour I would love to hear from anyone who has had a baby who suffered from lactose overload and if there is anything I can do to help him as it isn't nice to see him in pain.

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Hi, my son is 6 weeks and had his paed appointment last week...the paed said he is is suffering from lactose over load too...sounds exactly like what you described...the dr said to try to avoid the cluster feeding in the early evening...ie give him a proper bf when he is due, then if he is unsettled rather than settle him again with the boob go for a dummy or bottle of cooled boiled water...this seems to be working. The dr also said I could give him a bottle of lactose free formula in the evening if I wanted to...I am not doing this at this stage. Good luck!

#3 lucky 2

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Sorry pp but your paed has given you some terrible advice for managing lactose overload which is a breast feeding related problem and not a medical problem.
Potentially damaging to successful bfing.
Have a look at the link below which is research based information on how to handle a lactose overload.
Things not usually advised would be to give water in a bottle instead of breast milk. Or to give a breast milk substitute (ie lactose free formula).
There is very rarely a health benefit in taking a baby off breast milk, true lactose intolerance would be one reason to completely remove breast milk from the diet but for lactose overload formula is not a better option, even if it is lactose free.

If you want some help with this common breastfeeding related issue you could try the ABA or if you need more help then an LC would be the ideal health professional to see.
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/lactose
Scroll down to lactose overload in babies.

OP, how old is your baby? You may have a bit of an oversupply if bub is young so tips in the link may help.
You could also ring the ABA for some individualised help.
With overnight unsettledness this is usual newborn behaviour for the first 2-3 weeks of life even without any lactose overload or oversupply.
All the best.
http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-CBB

#4 giggleandhoot

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

DD2 was thought lactose over load, which she was lactose intolerant after many tests.  Have you tried herbal stuff for wind?
DD2 was pooing 8-10 times an hour, every single day!  and bleeding bottom and poos were green. If it's that bad i'd def. see someone. I also had to sleep DD2 on her tummy pretty much from birth ( i know against the guide lines) but it was the only way she's get some sleep as it put pressure on her tummy and seemed to help her sleep.
See a lactation consultant or if you need a GP and see what they think.

#5 mummaorange

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

my DD had this so we used to feed from only 1 breast so feed. then when i would usually swap side i would take her off, burp/change her then feed again from that side.

#6 ubermum

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

I wouldn't take your baby off the breast and I wouldn't give water or a substitute milk. What is the explosive poo like? Yellow is fine, green is more likely to be lactose overload. Also, try to offer only one breast for an hour or two and then the other breast for an hour or two. This will mean that the breast gets completely drained and your baby will get a good mix of fore and hind milk decreasing the chance of overload.

What you describe sounds like normal newborn behaviour and wind. You could try some over the counter wind remedies for babies. Degas always worked well for us and I would just give a dose straight into my baby's mouth just before a breastfeed.

#7 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (lucky 2 @ 21/03/2012, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry pp but your paed has given you some terrible advice for managing lactose overload which is a breast feeding related problem and not a medical problem.
Potentially damaging to successful bfing.
Have a look at the link below which is research based information on how to handle a lactose overload.
Things not usually advised would be to give water in a bottle instead of breast milk. Or to give a breast milk substitute (ie lactose free formula).
There is very rarely a health benefit in taking a baby off breast milk, true lactose intolerance would be one reason to completely remove breast milk from the diet but for lactose overload formula is not a better option, even if it is lactose free.

If you want some help with this common breastfeeding related issue you could try the ABA or if you need more help then an LC would be the ideal health professional to see.
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/lactose
Scroll down to lactose overload in babies.

OP, how old is your baby? You may have a bit of an oversupply if bub is young so tips in the link may help.
You could also ring the ABA for some individualised help.
With overnight unsettledness this is usual newborn behaviour for the first 2-3 weeks of life even without any lactose overload or oversupply.
All the best.
http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-CBB

Just popping back in...I was surprised with the advice too...I can't name names but he is a good paed operating out of POWP in Sydney...but he is not shy of recommending formula ....even told me in hospital "formula or breast...either is fine..." so I don't know what to make of that! I am not giving DS the lactose free formula...our b'feeding is going really well, he has no issues (eg no nipple confusion) and my supply is fine, probably a bit too much due to constant stimulation because he is a comfort sucker, he wasn't taking a dummy (is now) but is quite happy to suck on a little bit of water...he gets the hiccups all the time after a bf too and sucking on the bottle of water seems to help him out with that. Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with the OP since she asked for advice, and since it was advice from a pediatrician(as oppose to dr google...I have been guilty of that!) I thought I would pass it on...

#8 stardust81

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for your replies.

lucky 2 - DS is 9.5 weeks (though was also 5 weeks early). I do seem to still have an abundant supply, certainly much more than with my first baby, so I will read through the info in the link you provided, thank you.

giggleandhoot - I have tried Brauers Stomach Calm and Infants Friends, both didn't seem to do much unfortunately. Your poor DD, that must have been awful to have a bleeding bottom.

ubermum - it is sometimes green and sometimes yellow, on the particularly unsettled days it is more green. I will try to find some Degas.

Thank you all for your help. I do realise it is just a newborn thing, I guess I just thought it would start to improve a little by now, however seems to be getting worse, and the sleep deprivation is getting harder as the weeks go on!

#9 stardust81

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Lucretia Borgia - Thanks for sharing your experience also. I hope your son settles down soon too

#10 lucky 2

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

L B its just that sort of "advice" sends shivers up my spine, its just not bfing or baby friendly and it is (IMO) unnecessary interference with bfing by someone who should but doesn't know any better, and someone that has influence over new mothers.
No need to explain your contribution to me though, these are the sort of things that women are still being told and it is completely relevant to this thread.
Great to hear your baby is bfing well.

#11 CharliMarley

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

Agree wholeheartedly with Lucky2. Breastfed babies don't need water at all, as this mucks up the lovely gut flora that breastfeeding gives. Paediatricians unfortunately don't know as much about breastfeeding as the ABA do, and they only have a small porthole of "infant feeding" in their studies. It sounds as though you could have an overload of milk. Does your bubs seem to be swallowing quickly and gagging and trying to keep up with the supply. If this is the case, you could try posture feeding - which is laying on a bed or the couch and put your baby on your tummy to feed, so that she is feeding uphill and going against gravity. If you don't think it is too much milk, then maybe he is not draining the first breast and getting to the creamy hindmilk, which digests the feed very well and they don't get tummy pains when they are draining the breast.

#12 earth_99

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'm going against the grain here and just saying what worked for us.
My son wanted to feed more and more to settle his tummy - meaning he was often getting lots of foremilk, but not much hindmilk (I never had a chance to make any). Foremilk is higher in lactose - vicious cycle. I found a small amount of water in a "breastfeeding friendly" (as much as possible) bottle to stretch out the gap between feeds helped greatly.
The thing that helped the most though was using "lacteeze" - a product that replaces the enzyme in the gut which is what is missing in lactose intolerant (or similar) babies. It's not dangerous, and there are a few different methods - we ground up a quarter of a table, added some steralised water to dissolve and slipped it in his mouth before a feed. It VERY quickly demonstrated that lactose was indeed the problem, and his symptoms lessened dramatically.
I bought some lactose free formula but only used it once - I found stretching out the feeds with water in between as necessary (he wasn't hungry - only suckling to settle tummy) and the lacteeze tablets worked for us.

He finished up on lacteeze at about 4-5 months, and I breastfed him until almost 2. :-)

Good luck OP and I hope you find what works for you - trial and error a bit - certainly listen to your child health nurse and

#13 lucky 2

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

My son wanted to feed more and more to settle his tummy - meaning he was often getting lots of foremilk, but not much hindmilk (I never had a chance to make any). Foremilk is higher in lactose - vicious cycle
I'm glad your early problems settled down pp, your milk supply would have reduced which is why.
In relation to the above, foremilk and hindmilk are just "milk".
Its all in there, fore means first and hind means after.
They are not different milks, what is meant it that the fuller your breast is, the higher concentration of milk sugar/lactose and the softer or emptier your breast is the higher the concentration of fat.
There is still fat in the "first" milk and lactose in the milk coming out last.
Though your management of initial oversupply (that can lead to lactose overload) was ultimately successful, it is not the usual, easiest, safest or commonly recommended method of dealing with it.
The safest and easiest methods of managing an oversupply and lactose overload are usually-
http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.