Thinking about delivering junk mail - any advice?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Girl

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

I'm considering taking a job delivering junk mail, to bring in some extra cash.
Am I crazy?
I like walking with DS in the pram so thought I could earn something at the same time. How much would it pay and is it worth the hassle?
Any advice appreciated.

#2 Tikiboo16

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

I did it for a little while many years ago.. it wasn't worth it. You spend hours walking around and get paid very little. Think it worked out to be about $5 an hour.. really pathetic. I think I ended up leaving large piles of pamphlets at unit blocks and didn't bother with many houses. There are better ways of bringing in extra cash.

#3 fit_dad

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

It's not worth it.  In fact I often feel sorry for the people I see delivering them because I know they are being exploited.

A a kid (so, 20 odd years ago) I used to get paid $11.10 per 1000 pamphlets delivered (this included the time it took to fold them).  I can't imagine it's much better today.

#4 Majeix

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

I tried it. It was terrible I would never do it again. My daughter who was used to and loved long walks in the pram ended up screaming for ages... and cried at the sight of the pram for awhile. We only did it for one weekend and I left her home for about half of it...
It really didn't help that the district I did had a large hospital so to deliver to the right number of house meant a lot of walking jsut for one or two...

There was also all the folding that was horrible especially we tried to follow the rule we were given (that everyone else ignores) about how none of them can be folded together but must all be folded and put in separately.

#5 2plusoops

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

I recently did it for a couple of months.  Its not only the walking around delivering the catalogues, its also the several hours it takes to bundle them together.  You might get 8-10 different catalogues delivered but they are in seperate bundles and you have to collate them before delivering.   My biggest issue was not the time facator v. amount of pay (I figured any extra was a good thing) but I was consistently not being paid the correct amount.  They missed one week, but never caught it up and then missed another.  Whilst the money comes in handy its not enough to have to deal with not getting paid!!

#6 beccajayne

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

I did it a few years ago and while I enjoyed the exercise each week, the pay is not worth it.
I had to deliver twice a week and each time I spent about 3-4hrs folding/sorting the pamphlets, then 4hrs delivering them.
During Christmas it was busy and it took twice as long.
Most weeks I'd get about $20-50
Christmas time was any where around $100-150

I was delivering for 2 different companies in 3 areas.

Edited by beccajayne, 20 March 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#7 girltribe4

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I just finished my delivery for this week , 4hrs delivering 22 bits of junk mail to 300 houses for $72 huh.gif  wink.gif Its sooooo not worth it but it keeps miss 3.5yrs in childcare twice a week and I am loosing weight biggrin.gif

I actually love the walking bit  , its the putting everything together I hate mad.gif junk mail gets delivered Sunday , I put all the bits together all day Monday then deliver Tuesday morning. I do have till Wed eve to deliver but its suppose to rain tonight and tomorrow so I wanted to get it over and done with.

$72 is the most ever because it was 22 seperate bits its normally $42 /$54 a week.  

Im just doing it as a stop gap as I  am waiting on my FDC approval .

#8 fairylite

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

If you go ahead and sign up for this, please please don't dump the catalogues in the bins at the local apartment block as happened to us a few times before I reported them. We need those for our recycling.

#9 FeralFoom

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

When I did it we had to pick up the catalogues as well. You can't just stick a few catalogues on the pram - we found them very heavy carrying them in a backpack and had to keep going back to the car to get more, moving the car to the next street so it wasn't too far to go back for more, etc, etc. Not sure if the local paper would be any better than catalogues - lighter for each house so you would cover more distance before you have to go back and get more.

I soon realised why postfolk ride motorbikes.

#10 Bluenomi

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Don't do it, it is a nightmare. I did it as a kid and I ended up covered in newpaper ink and on a busy week it would take longer to fold everthing that it did to deliver it. Plus you have to do it no matter the weather so it sucked when it rained

#11 christmasiscoming

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Been there, done that too.  I walked with my DS1 in the pram (he was 14mo at the time) and he loved it, being out and about and seeing lots of different things.

I gave it up after I fell pregnant with DS2 and couldn't carry the loads anymore.  There's definitely pros and cons:

PROS:  Exercise, baby gets out for a walk too, extra $$ without having to pay childcare

CONS:  Very poor pay if worked out by number of hours you put into collating and folding the pamphlets ready for delivery.  It's not a fixed amount each week - some deliveries are $20, others can be $70 but you walk the same amount of streets/houses for $20 as you do $70.  Hard work to do it in rainy weather also, especially if your bub is coming along.

My advice would be try it - you have nothing to lose - there is no outlay to you to start and you can stop at any time as you wont be on any kind of contract.  If you're taking DS in the pram, be sure your pram is strong and sturdy enough to be pushed on grass as it is tough going, especially on the lovely cushy Sir Walter grass - it's like pushing it through sand !!  

Also, look on your map they give you and decide where would be the most central place you can park your car and just go to and from the car as it's too hard to keep packing your child and pram into the car each time you need to move.  Take the map with you the first time and write down how many houses in each street so that next time you can take only as many bundles as you  need for that little section to minimise the amount you need to carry at any one time before heading back to the car to top up.

Hope that helps.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

One of my children decided to do this for a part time job whilst at school so we decided to do a big family walk and help out.
It is an absolute nightmare for very small financial gain.
The pay is appalling, it takes so much time for the pay to come through.
There is preparation of the mail as well. You have to pre fold many of the pamphlets, if you have a paper then you have to open it and put the advertising stuff inside and then fold the paper........terrible.

#13 White-Lily

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

FIL does this and seems to make OK money out of it. He has a very large area and does it on his postie bike. He is retired and this just gives him something to do and some play money. He does a few hours each (4-6?) morning so its normally out of the way by lunchtime. I think he does this about 4/5 days per week. He enjoys it. It drives MIL batty so she banished him and his junk mail to the carport.
FIL has been doing it for about 18 months now and occasionally picks up private jobs which pay much better.

Pamphlets are where the money is, not newpapers.
Apartment blocks were there are 20 letter boxes in the one place are a good area to get, not that you get much choice most of the time.
Cant hurt to try in any case.

#14 Silver Girl

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for all the honest and detailed replies and tips.
The preparation does sound tedious and the money not fantastic, as I suspected.
Christmasiscoming, thank you for the pointers which I'll definitely use if I go ahead with it.
I'm inclined to give it a miss though.
I also might feel a bit of a fraud as I have a No Junk Mail Sticker on my own letterbox!

#15 Holidayromp

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

It can be quite the lucrative little money earner if you play it smart.  Double runs, runs close to home. Mixing phamplet drops for local businesses in with it.  Don't take every job that comes to you.  Also some runs have more phamplets in it than other so do your research.  Also some runs are easier - choose areas with high concentration of apartments in them or runs that 'flow easy'.  Don't get spread out runs that you need to move the car every five minutes or so otherwise the petrol money will eat into any money you make.

It also helps if you have someone else to do it with you.  But as a single person doing - I wouldn't recommend it.  Especially if you have kids in prams.  It can be a nightmare and an overloaded pram warps the axle and breaks the pram.  If you want to do it with a kid in a pram opt for second hand heavy duty options with parcel trays beneath them for the phamplets but it still won't be easy.

Good luck but in your situation I don't recommend.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.