I am 7 weeks pregnant today and feeling very sick

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bubby03

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

Hi, I am 7 weeks pregnant and feeling very sick. I felt nothing till 4 days ago and suddenly feeling terrible. Can someone help?

#2 CubaLulu

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

That's about when it kicked in for me too. I'm now 12 weeks and am starting to feel better, so it's not forever! I went to the doctor and got some medication to help me get through. It really does make a huge difference. All the natural supplements for morning sickness did nothing for me, I needed the strong stuff!

Simple things you can do to help are:

Never let yourself get hungry. As soon as your blood sugar drops (upon waking; within a couple of hours of eating etc) you will probably start feeling worse. So have some crackers or something simple by the bed and eat them before even getting up, this really helped me.

After getting up have a proper breakfast with some protein. Protein is great at helping moderate your blood sugar levels in an even and sustained way, which can help keep the nausea at bay.

sip small amounts of water often

Eat small meals often, become a snacker!

get lots of rest where possible, tiredness can make it worse, and you'll be feeling tired anyway during this first trimester.

All of these things helped me... but I still wouldn't have made it though without the drugs! See your doctor and see what they say.

I hope you feel better soon.

#3 JupitersMoon

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

I am not currently pregnant but I found PP suggestion of having crackers by the bed did help a little, as did ginger tea (although i didn't like it, it helped my stomach) which my DP bought for me at a health store. If it's only kicked in at 7 weeks, hopefully it'll only be for a few weeks original.gif

Mine started at 4 weeks and was all but gone by about 10 weeks, though I still couldn't eat any meat until about 14 weeks (just the thought of it made me sick).  Actually meat and raw eggs were big triggers for morning sickness for me, I was 'OKish' as long as I didn't go anywhere near them.

#4 PurpleChicken

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

With both of my pregnancies my MS started at 4 weeks and went by 10 weeks.  The only things I really found helped at all was not letting myself get hungry (so lots of snacks) and medication.

I was given Maxolon anti nausea tablets which helped take the edge off for me.

Other than that it was just a waiting game really and a lot of hoping that it wouldn't last too long.

#5 mks81

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

I'm 13 weeks and ms still going strong here, (we have all come down with colds to boot). Dry, crunchy foods seem to all I can tolerate and I've gone from hating soft drink to living on lemonade.

I've got medication for it but only seems to work for an hour so I use it only when going to town as otherwise I've spent half my journey each time throwing up alongside the road. I have raisin  toast in the morning but have to make it very toasty otherwise can't face the raisins in the toast.

Can't watch anything gory, squeamish or even looking at certain foods. OH loves mashed potatoes and my version.... he owes me big time.

#6 Futureself

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hi OP,
My sympathies, 7 weeks is when it started for me too.
Eat before getting out of bed - my DH makes me Vegemite toast.
Snack all the time, just small things.I found cold grapes, a slice of cheese, peanut butter on crackers, popcorn, cold green apple slices good.
Carbonated water and lemonade sipped all day
I took ginger & B6 (Blackmores morning sickness formula), used sea-bands on the acupressure points.

I then started vomiting constantly so had to go for medications.

#7 halcyondays

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

7 weeks is when it got bad for me- migraines and nausea. I needed to take maxalon tablets and occasionally ondansetron. The dry crackers and all didn't help me at all. I also took a few sick days off work, and then left work early or arrived to work late most days. It is really hard if you haven't told work you are pregnant yet. I also found that most antenatal wards will bring you in for a couple of hours to give you intravenous fluids if you need it, and that helped a lot.
So try the eating frequently suggestions, but don't battle on for too long without discussing it with your GP.

#8 chocolatecrackle

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

It's horrible. I had m/s from 7 weeks to 30 weeks, but fortunately only had extreme nausea.

Eating regularly was the best thing for me.  I always had something in my stomach.  With all the listeria risks, I made sure I had muesli bars, crackers or similar in my handbag in case I was out and couldn't find anything I could bear to eat.

I quickly learnt when the takeaway shop near work opened and had cooked the first batch of hot chips!

I also spoke to my OB, who recommended Restavit tablets. They really helped me, and didn't make me too drowsy.  There are options for m/s, so ask your doctor, and if they aren't helpful, ask another doctor.  Just because everyone has it, doesn't mean you have to suffer if you can make it better.

#9 Bluenomi

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

It's called morning sickness, hope it doesn't last long!

I had it from 6 weeks until DD was born.

Ginger and B6 didn't help, water made it worse, those sea sickness bands are useless, eating before going to bed/before I got up just gave me more to throw up and any fizzy drinks made it so much worse.

The only thing that worked was giving birth. The only things that made it slightly more barable was ice cold milk and nibbling on whatever I felt I could eat that day.

#10 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

cabalulu, thanks for your post. Now I know why I start to feel sick within one hour of waking up! Blood sugar...

And yes, dont go to bed with a full stomach, it is horrible. DH bought my dinner so late once last week, I ate at 8pm went to bed at 930pm and I felt really sick!

#11 PurpleChicken

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Bluenomi I had no idea your MS was that bad!

And I second what PP said about not going to bed with a full stomach.  It made me feel horrible.

#12 MakesMeHappy

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

OP I hope some of the PP suggestions help you. Morning sickness really is terrible.

Mine started at about 4 weeks with all day nausea, migraines and extreme tiredness!! My GP gave me maxalon and ondansetron which helped ease my suffering.

But that stopped working for me at about 11 weeks and the vomiting started. I am now 14 weeks and can hardly leave the house, it doesn't look like it is going to end any time soon for me. The only thing that helps is taking Phenergan at night. Which is a bit of a life saver as it means I  not waking up to vomit at 2am and 4am anymore.

#13 lakurumau

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

No magic cure, as far as I've experienced. Try to rest and watch that your thoughts don't get too negative if it does drag on. Hopefully you're not having to work a job through it all.

Keep an eye on your hydration. If you're vomiting all fluids back up or losing more than a kg a day, get to your doctor.

This time around I found focus meditation helped when I was feeling completely wretched and there seemed to be no end to it. Again, not a cure, but I found it did help things to feel better. With my second pregnancy, not having to work has been a big help too. At 18 weeks I'm now just queasy and the vomiting has ceased.

Hope your morning sickness eases soon too, OP.

Meditation site which gives instructions: http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Cure-Morn...&id=1712486

#14 Spring Chickadee

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

It started for me at 5w1d. Now I'm 6w5d and feel like death. I feel like I'm about to spew constantly, get headaches, faint, am so lightheaded I keep running into things and am averaging 12-14 hours a day.  Any less and I feel like I'm about to die.

I just keep telling myself that it won't last forever. I'm seeing my OBGYN on Thursday and will ask for a script of something to calm it down- I can barely work!

I find sipping on sweet drinks helps, eating something often (apple and rice thins are my favourites for now) and getting as much sleep as possible all helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.