10yr old DD suffers bad headaches
HELP

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Emerald

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

DD has been having really bad headaches/migraines for the past 6months. It got so bad i took her to the doctor and asked for  CT scan etc as i was concerned.

There is a history of migraines in the family (mum and I suffer them).

I took DD for an eye exam (cleared no issues) the CT Scan (Cleared no issues).

Tonight she burst into tears cause she said she has had a bad headache all day, and she looked drained.

She is getting them every week, once twice if not 3 times a week.

She drinks mailny water  as she's not big on juice, they don't have soft drinks (except once every few weeks when we get take away) She knows to keep hydrated.

They don't eat alot of sugar (junk food etc)........they do have chips, museli bars, lcm's etc for school lunch snacks.

I am thinking an allergy test????????

Any advise? I want to get help for her as she is so over them.

Edited by Emerald, 19 March 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#2 Kazran

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

Chiropractor?  

Or my other suggestion would be a physio/remedial massage in case she is getting tension headaches?

#3 I'mBeachedAs

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Maybe she is getting migraines. Given the family history that would be my first thought. What does her GP suggest?

#4 raven74

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

I suffered this as a child also. They were so debilitating that I ended up on medication to reduce their frequency and severity. The doctor said it was likely I would grow out of them, which I did.
Mine were caused by trauma induced stress - is your DD suffering stress?  Massage/chiro is a great start but I suggest a good heart to heart as well, just to make sure she is ok.
Poor little chick. sad.gif

#5 Onyx

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

My brother used to get bad headaches and migraines when he was younger. He eventually grew out of them, but they would make him very sick. He would end up in bed for 24-48 hours.

My parents took him to a chiropractor which helped when nothing else did.

Is she getting enough sleep and eating well throughout the day?

#6 -al-

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

I would definately try a GOOD chiropractor - maybe post in the State sections to find one where you live.
I suffered for the longest time with headaches and back pain, my son also had issues - I am a chiro convert!

#7 2xpink

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

It may be hormonal.  My niece suffered a lot from headaches at the same age, and it cleared up when she started her periods.

Avoid the normal migraine triggers like dehydration, chocolate and caffeine, over tiredness.  Wouldn't hurt to get her checked over by a kids chiropractor?

#8 Chelara

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Any eye strain? Does she regularly play the computer or ds? I would ask for a blood test too, maybe she's deficient in something.

#9 Emerald

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

She goes to chiro once a  month, more if needed as she's so active with swimming and acrobatics and dancing, that she has to go to get re-alined so to speak lol.

The GP said she thinks it's "runs in the family", and is eliminating stuff (eye test, Cat scan)

But the fact she is having them so often, i think it's time sto step up and get her some meds to ease. prevent them,

And i am thinikign an allgergy test.

I talk to her all the time, she dosn't seem stressed, but i'll keep asking!! She will usually tell me though if she has something worrying her.

They are aweful migrains as i suffer them myself and they knock me out for a day or 2. So i want to get a handle on these.

She was crynig cause she dosn't want to go to the sick bay " as she will miss out on her work".

uggg breaking my heart!

#10 Emerald

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

No she isn't a computer/DS/ipod type of kid...

I had her eyes tested 6 months ago, so i am going to get her re-tested in case!.

She said the headacheas across the top of her head and near the temples.

#11 ifaith17

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

It may be beneficial to get a second opinion on an eye test - I had one at 11, but they failed to pick up my issues until I was 13/14 - as a result my schoolwork dropped - especially maths, spelling and sight reading dropped dramatically for those years.

Also definitely try an allergy test as well - if you are in Melbourne pm me and I will recommend someone to you.

Edited by Therese, 20 March 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#12 sillysausage

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

My now 8yo DS was a sufferer of migraines - particularly in Year 1 of school (so 6yo).  

They could come on quite suddenyl and would often result in tears - simply because he didn't know what to do with himself.  As he had a few, he began to recognise early signs of a migraine approaching which meant we could treat it earlier, whereas the first few he would be vomiting before we realised how bad it really was.

We have a great GP that spoke to him about signs to look out for, how to speak to teachers at school and filled out medication forms so he has Neurofen at school at the first sign of a migraine.

Heat, dehydration, physical exhaustion and tiredness are some of his triggers, however, I mentioned Year 1 of school as he was quite stressed/anxious/unhappy that particular year of school.  The past two years he has been a lot more settled and we haven't seen anywhere near as many migraines, so I do believe the stress/anxiety is a factor (for him).

I also suffered migraines very occasionally - I quickly worked out that my trigger is chocolate!  I never eat a lot of chocolate, howver I did go through a period of eating quite a lot of chocolate in the evenings, and sure enough, the nights I did, I had a terrible migraine throughout the night/the next day.  I have been told other common food triggers are citrus and cheese - do any of these fit the picture?

#13 Luxe

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

I sometimes have headaches that are caused I think by a build up of gluten in my system.

The only other thing that I can think of is enlarged turbinates in the nose which gave me very bad headaches but you said she's had a CT so I guess it cant be that.

Poor thing.

#14 Emerald

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

I am in Sydney so any recommendations on Doctors etc to go to, or allergy testing places.

I thought of a natropath...I'm really lost!!!

She has had blood tests also, but not for 12 months, so i might take her back for one of those!.

I wish i could take the migrains off her...

#15 WaffleGrrrl

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

My headaches and infrequent (thank god) migraines are usually hormonal, happening around my cycle.  

I had been blissfully headache free through my pregnancy and these past few months.  I suspect my cycle is starting again as I had my very first headache this past week.

I just wonder if it is/could be coinciding with puberty for your daughter?

#16 Zathero

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Your poor daughter...

I'm 24, and vividly remember when I first starting getting headaches & migraines at the age of 9. I used to be in so much pain I would hit my head against the wall to just "feel" something worse.

Like you, I have a distinct family history of migraines and headaches. If eye tests, CT scans and lifestyle/environmental factors have been ruled out I'd say she will most likely and unfortunately suffer from them throughout her life. I think it's quite common for symptoms to kick in between 9-12, given hormonal surges as puberty approaches.

A few things that have helped me over the years that may help her:

*Moving any electric paraphernalia from near the bed: lamps, phone chargers, radios etc
*Locate the power/circuit box in your house and make sure to avoid prolonged periods of time in rooms that are situated nearby
*Ice packs (if she can stand the sensation of cold) on where the pain is
*Invest in a good supportive pillow (lavender and peppermint oil sprayed on the pillowcase can work a treat and is in many herbal headache remedies)
*Headbands, hair ties and hair styles that pull your hair very tightly should be avoided
*Ruling out dental issues
*Regular massage/chiro sessions
*Avoiding dairy, particularly cheese at night time. Sounds strange but is a common trigger
*Medication - I've had some success with blood pressure medications which have proven benefits to migraine suffered. My mum also takes Imigran at the first sign of a migraine with a lot of success. I used it in high school but it was hard to get them to agree to let me use it on school grounds (http://en.wikipedia....iki/Sumatriptan)
*A sympathetic hug and excellent block out curtains

Good luck OP. I really feel for you and your daughter. It's awful to suffer from headaches and migraines regularly, but there are definitely things that can help make them more manageable. You just have to work out what works for you!

#17 brindle

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

I don't have experiences with migraines - but if medical reasons are ruled out, then I would be looking at environmental factors.
Check out fed up.com.au

I have heard of a number of contributors to migraines. (As a PP said - they get them with a  build up of gluten). It is more likely to be an intolerance or a build-up than an allergy. There are some pretty nasty things in very ordinary foods.

Hope you find the cause - maybe for all of you!

#18 ~ky~

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

My DD has been getting migraines since she was 4yo. SHe very quickly learned how to recognise the very beginning of one and we immediately give her a large dose of nurofen (paediatrician recommended dose) and put her to bed. She sleeps for a couple of hours and 9 times out of 10 will wake up headache free and happy.

We had a ct scan, kept a headache diary, kept a food diary etc but were never able to pinpont any particular triggers. We were given the option to put her on preventative daily medication or treat them as they occured and we chose not to medicate her.

She is turning 11yo this week and has not had a migraine in a few months now. She has had headaches that we have got onto straight away, but migraines are now very few and far between.

She does wear reading glasses and has done since she was 6yo.

#19 moomin mamma

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

I suffer from migraines, get 2-3 a week, more and stronger if I don't keep my diet.  I have had them as long as I can remember.  I was told I would grow out of them.

I had all the tests, but it was an elimination diet that was the only real help, also acupuncture.  I went to a chiropractor a few times, but I don't think it really helped.  

Try and keep a food calendar.  Stick it to the wall in the kitchen and write up what she is eating.  Red cross for migraines, she can even scale them eg. one cross for head, two crosses for bed, three for throwing up.  You might even start seeing connections there.

My food triggers are processed, unnatural foods, additives, caffeine, chocolate, MSG (and related chemicals), etc.  I can usually have some combination of these, as long as it is for the evening meal, as by the time it hits, I'm already in bed, so going out with friends for dinner is possible.

I am noise, light and smell sensitive as well as keeping to a diet.  Mondays are the worst for me, always have been - think half-relaxing weekend, then straight into work/school.

Good luck with her.  If it is JUST migraines, then she will learn to cope so well that you won't even notice most of the time when she has them.  My family thought I had grown out of them, but my husband knows when I have them.

#20 d&s

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

I was hospitalized a lot as. A child for headaches and the final conclusion was I needed a psych as they couldn't find anything, until someone looked at my jaw and it was out of alignment which was giving me the headaches a plate at night and no more headaches! Ask the doctors to check everything not just eyes etc original.gif
Good luck!

#21 LK1

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

I used to get them a lot when I was a kid, I have grown out of the frequency.
Massage really helps me.
That area for me (temples and top of head) is dehydration. She may be drinking enough water but is she getting the electrolytes in?

Teeth is the other thing I was thinking, as the PP mentioned.

Can she feel them building during the day, or do they just hit in like half an hour or so?

#22 Superman+4sisters

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Poor darling! My 10yo gets migraines related to exercise. If she's feeling in the slightest bit headachy before a dance class or exercise she doses up on panadol. Early treatment / anticipation is the key for her, rather than letting the headache fully develop. Dh is a migrainer original.gif

#23 Mrs SW

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

I suffered with them terribly for 13 years, they were that bad i would get stroke like symptoms and was put on heart medication to try and stop them. I went to the dentist to have a root canal and i have had 1 migraine in over a year and i used to get the as regularly as your DD and sometimes up to 7 days a week.

My Dr also told me to take 2 panadol and 90mlg of asprin for migraines which did seem to help, perhaps speak to your GP and see if this would work for her.

I hope your poor DD gets over them very soon, it's not easy living with migraines.

#24 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

I got migranes the 12 months leading up to my first period maybe this could be a cause.

Also take her to the dentist teeth issues and or jaw misalignment can cause migranes.

Ask her what is happening just before she gets them. If there is a trigger you may be able to identify in what situations tend to bring them on. Identifying the triggers may help her recognize when they start. Is there a particular time of day that the migranes tend to come on?

#25 KristyMum-

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

An OT assessment is my suggestion - it can't hurt and it's not an obvious first step either.

in the sense that [child] was coming home after school saying he felt like his brain was overheating, this was causing headaches (the short version of it) because of vestibular/midline/dominance issues (I don't know all the terms off-hand so there are more).  His brain had to assess which hand/foot every single time for every task as just one example.  So any wonder with it all put together his brain was 'fried'.
The headaches/migraines almost disappeared in term holidays (unless it was a day of intense reading/doing kinda thing) but came right back again when school began, especially at the end of the week or on a day where there was more stuff that his brain had to work extra hard on.

The child started seeing the OT completely separate to the migraine issues - his teacher picked up on a few things and recommended a good OT for assessment and it went from there, supported by the GP.  Turns out that fixing up the 'wiring' or strengthening the weaker areas, meant his brain didn't have to fry itself out every day - in getting ready for each task was extra and then the task itself as well.
After regular OT the headaches/migraines are gone completely.

The child was also seen by the GP, a nuero paed (to rule out nasties) and had his eyes checked (and needed prescription glasses short term, now corrected) etc He's a bright, happy and extremely intelligent kid.  Just some 'wiring' needed a hand is all.

There's so many 'it might be' that the only way is to rule them out step by step.

Good luck OP.  It's not nice.

(from someone who knows migraines well)

Edited by KristyMum-, 20 March 2012 - 01:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.