What is the earliest you can find out gender?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 *mylittleprince*

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Thinking of going for a scan to find out gender before the usual 20 week scan.

When would be the best time to go?

Am still thinking about it, not sure if it's silly but my mom is coming just after I'm 20 weeks and if we have a girl (we have a boy) she will be able to bring really nice clothes for a much cheaper price.

Thanks original.gif

#2 Hooray Henry

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Gender scan places say from around 15 weeks.    I'm not sure exactly - I've always found out at the birth  happy.gif

#3 soontobegran

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Most private  3/4 D scanning places recommend 16 weeks.

Edited by soontobegran, 19 March 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#4 bigglet

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Depends on the experience of the sonographer/doctor. I was told with all my kids at 12 weeks even though it can be hard to tell at that age. 2 different doctors and they were all correct in my experience.

But probably best to wait - they can still get it wrong up until the birth! Tounge1.gif

#5 soontobegran

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

My son's friend welcomed his little girl today after being told from 12 weeks there was a boy on the way!
original.gif

#6 ~Jodama~

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Had the same happen to a friend Soontobegran. She was told at 12 weeks, 20 weeks and 32 weeks a girl for sure. And when he came out with extra bits it was a bit of a surprise.. Frantic messages about what to call him and do we have any spare boy clothes.

We found out with DS at 20 weeks. DDs were both surprised wish we had of waited with DS too.

#7 ~A Poetic Winter~

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

I had a gender scan at 15 weeks with this baby.

Each subsequent scan since has confirmed original findings original.gif

#8 bigglet

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 19/03/2012, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My son's friend welcomed his little girl today after being told from 12 weeks there was a boy on the way!
original.gif

I had secretly hoped this would happen to me when I was pregnant with #3 Tounge1.gif

Deep down I wanted a girl but at 12 weeks they told me I was having a boy and after hearing so many stories of mistaken gender I hoped that this would be the case! lol.... unfortunately at every ultrasound they kept showing me his penis so I guess it would have been a shock if DS2 had been a girl Tounge1.gif
Looking at him now I can't imagine him as a girl! biggrin.gif

#9 Fennel Salad

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

I was told at 15 weeks by an ultrasound when getting an amnio.

Apparently it was very clear..

#10 Leeloomina

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

Funny this topic came up this evening! We were told at 16 week that bub was a boy, went to our 20 week scan earlier today and she is now a girl  wub.gif . FWIW we had different sonographers. Thank god we haven't bought anything because we already have a little boy. I am wondering if they will tell me it's a boy next time I go back... unsure.gif
So if you plan to do it before 20 week I would suggest doing it very close, say 18 or 19 weeks?

#11 agnodice

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (* ninky nonk * @ 19/03/2012, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We usually find out at 12 weeks but it depends where you go.

It is possible, but not usual for ultrasonographers to tell you this at the 12 weeks scan.

Stats based on a large study are:
50% correct at 11 weeks
80% correct at 12 weeks
85% correct at 13 weeks
92% correct at 14 weeks

ANd then it tends to stay pretty constant after that.

You can get the 20 weeks scan done closer to 18 weeks, and avoid a second scan. Or wait until 14-15 weeks if you really want it early. And at the end of the day, they can only see if bub is in a proper position! The ability to hazard a guess is only 68% at 13 weeks and jumps to 98% by 14 weeks.

#12 CallMeProtart

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

We found out at our nuchal at 12 weeks and it was correct.
I think it can depend on the angle and how they've developed - if you talk to the sonographer they will probably tell you how confident they can be based on what they see (and can show you too). In ours it was pretty obvious.
There are also, I believe, pee tests you can do that claim to predict the gender at only a few weeks old - not sure if they are reliable but also an option!

#13 agnodice

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

I kept that 50% in for the laugh  biggrin.gif

At least they aren't doing worse than 50%!!!

#14 ~BoysRus~

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Alot of people guess from the nub theory at 12 weeks.
I would wait until 16 weeks to find out.
Altho at 23 weeks with my 4th son i was told girl.....17 weeks later my 4th son was born..huge shock

#15 soontobegran

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

A good reason why a sonographer should not declare a gender at 12 weeks original.gif

http://www.baby2see.com/gender/external_genitals.html

#16 shelbysmum

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

We asked our OB at the 12 week scan- just as an early bet and for a bit of a giggle- we'll find out at the 16 week scan/amnio if that early guess was right

#17 Morti

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

I was told at 13 weeks with this baby. original.gif  Apparently it is usual policy for the obs clinic where I go to not disclose gender until 16 weeks... but my obstetrician is a family friend and decided to waive normal procedure for us.

#18 MegsW

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

Funny this topic came up this evening! We were told at 16 week that bub was a boy, went to our 20 week scan earlier today and she is now a girl   . FWIW we had different sonographers. Thank god we haven't bought anything because we already have a little boy. I am wondering if they will tell me it's a boy next time I go back...  
So if you plan to do it before 20 week I would suggest doing it very close, say 18 or 19 weeks?

How sure were they at the 16 weeks?  I have read a few stories of it happening!

#19 wrong

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

Blood tests at 7wks are 95% accurate original.gif

#20 soontobegran

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

dp

Edited by soontobegran, 20 March 2012 - 07:30 AM.

#21 soontobegran

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (wrong @ 20/03/2012, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please explain?  original.gif

#22 Leeloomina

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (MegsW @ 20/03/2012, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How sure were they at the 16 weeks?  I have read a few stories of it happening!

Hi The sonographer said she was 80% sure.
MegsW I think I might have replied to your PM twice! Sorry if that's the case.

QUOTE (wrong @ 20/03/2012, 04:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A friend who was going to get her bloods done for the combined screening was told that they can predict the gender from the bloods too. I have never heard of it!!

#23 wrong

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 20/03/2012, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please explain?  original.gif

When a foetus is growing in the womb, tiny amounts of its DNA leak into the mother's blood stream. From an expectant mother's blood sample, labs can test for the presence of DNA from a Y chromosome. As mothers don't have a Y chromosome, any sign of one means the foetus is male. The lack of such signs indicates a female.
http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/306/6/627

#24 Shellby

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

I always found out at my 18w scan - however my first they said boy and there was no way to mistake it - he liked to show off.

My second however went like this

18w - girl
19w - boy
32w - boy
35w - girl

So ended up being 50/50. However I felt he was a boy, and I trusted the guy who did my 19w scan even though he could only say 60% sure so please don't paint the room blue.

Would I find out again - yep I would, but I would most likely wait until I was in my 20s weeks and have a 3D to be extra sure before buying to much.

#25 wrong

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (* ninky nonk * @ 21/03/2012, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow,  I have never heard of this blood testing, aside from via amnio.

A local company advertises a full test for $399, but at least one American website ships $25 kits almost anywhere in the world (won't ship to China or India due to the prevalence of sex-selection there).

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.