How often does your DH wash his car?
(And how long does it take him)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 KylieMin0gue

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Pretty silly question, but DP says I am precious.  He washes his car at least once a week (and spends at least 3 hours doing so, and a whole day if he is polishing it or cleaning the inside which he probably does every 2 to 3 weeks), and does stuff all to help me in the house with the housework and cleaning.  If he gets a couple of spots of dirt on the car from normal driving, he will go out and wash the whole car.  (So sometimes cleans his car 2 or more times a week)

He also does things like clean his engine bay every couple of months, and spends a fortune on the most expensive cleaning products (meguiars) when we cannot afford it.  He will use nearly half a bottle of $20 window cleaner just to clean his windows once.

BTW his car is a 2001 commodore with 220k on the clock, so hardly a new prestige car.

So how often does your DH wash their car?

We also have 2 young children, and 95% of the looking after them is left to me.

Edited by KylieMin0gue, 19 March 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#2 Matthias' mum

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

When it is filthy one of us washes it. Maybe every few months or after a road trip. And this includes when we've had brand new sports cars! He really can't be bothered with that kind of stuff. I'd say every few weeks would be about normal for most people.

#3 The Old Bag

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

Never.  He spends 5 minutes putting it through a servo wash or a CarSpa place when it desperately needs it.

It's a company car (and it IS new and prestige) and he works for the manufacturer, so he's expected to keep it in good nick.

I'd be furious if he spent as much time on it as yours does while everything else was left to me!

I don't wash mine either. I think it's been a year since it had a proper wash, though I do invite the kids to squirt it with their water pistols and I move it out of the carport when it's pouring rain original.gif

Edited by The Old Bag, 19 March 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#4 Gone-Country

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

Never at home. DH has a work van and they clean them at work. (Well I dare say DH gets the apprentice to do it when they have some down time).  As for mine, it gets washed when it rains! wink.gif Every now and then we get the Karcher out and clean it, but not reguarly. My sister and BIL on the other hand wash theirs regularly, and they like them sparkling. Each to their own. I have plenty more important things to worry about.

#5 Hermes

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

When it was new he washed it once per week, now it's probably ... every 2 or 3 weeks depending on how busy he is with other things. He never takes it through a car wash, he's convinced it would scratch the paint.

#6 Mrs Manager

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

About once a year.  Maybe more if it got filthy on a dirt road or something.

#7 KylieMin0gue

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (Hermes @ 19/03/2012, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When it was new he washed it once per week, now it's probably ... every 2 or 3 weeks depending on how busy he is with other things. He never takes it through a car wash, he's convinced it would scratch the paint.

DP once took his car to one of those self washing places that you wash your car yourself.  (I think is costs about $2 for 3 or 4 minutes)  He spent $30, and said he would have spent more if he had more money on him. (So basically it took him about an hour)

#8 willow79

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Our cars usually go through the car wash & not that often. Sometimes when it's hot the kids get out & we all wash it but again not that often. Kinda lazy when it comes to that sort of thing, car is for a to z.

#9 paddyboo

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

DH is a car detailer so he cleans his work van every day. His private vehicle (and mine) gets cleaned once a week. He uses professional products though that you can't get in the stores and buys in bulk so it doesn't bother me, besides the business is paying for it and i love having a clean car.

#10 LambChop

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

About once a quarter.  

Sounds like it's your partners 'hobby', god what a tedious thing to pick lol.  Not all that easy for you to engage with and perhaps join in...

Are you able to get products in bulk online cheaper ?

#11 dadathome

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

I take ours top the car wash maybe every 2-3 months, and it takes up to an hour. In the olden days I washed it myself, and it took around the same length of time.

#12 ali27

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Since having water restrictions in Melb ( although they are now lifted) we never wash the cars. Maybe once or twice a year at a coin in the slot car wash for a special event.

#13 SUSIE25

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

DH washes his work van once a week which he has too as a part of his work conditions and then he washes mine at the same time.Its black so it looks filthy as soon as it rains. I vac inside the car every couple of months.The kids often help him wash it too.
Its more of a chore than a hobby though.

#14 HeroOfCanton

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

Neither of us wash OUR car - if we did, it would probably rain.

#15 lilmurfs

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

LOL the last time my car was washed? In July we went to my brothers wedding and my Dad insisted that we HAD to stop at the car wash on the way because he wasn't going to admit he was related to me otherwise. My car was supposed to be white, but at that time it was more a browney red than anything (we lived on dirt roads)...
Since then we've moved though, so even though it's been a long time, it's no where near as dirty as it used to get....

Back to the actual question though, GENERALLY by car gets washed every 6 months or so when we go to a town that has a car wash and we have a spare $15 to throw away lol...

DP's car is the same, maybe less often since we don't normally take his car into town...

Maybe your DP just needs to get a life? Although I do have to say that him keeping the engine bay clean will make it easier to sell when the time comes lol... When I bought my car I was so excited that it looked like a brand new car under the bonnet lol (and yes it was a pretty old car), and that definitely helped me decide to buy it lol...

#16 WizzFizz

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

We have one car and it gets taken to the car wash about once every 4-5 months.

Life is too short to spoend washing a car every week only for it to get rained in here in Sydney every second day.

#17 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (KylieMin0gue @ 19/03/2012, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty silly question, but DP says I am precious.  He washes his car at least once a week (and spends at least 3 hours doing so, and a whole day if he is polishing it or cleaning the inside which he probably does every 2 to 3 weeks), and does stuff all to help me in the house with the housework and cleaning.  If he gets a couple of spots of dirt on the car from normal driving, he will go out and wash the whole car.  (So sometimes cleans his car 2 or more times a week)

He also does things like clean his engine bay every couple of months, and spends a fortune on the most expensive cleaning products (meguiars) when we cannot afford it.  He will use nearly half a bottle of $20 window cleaner just to clean his windows once.

BTW his car is a 2001 commodore with 220k on the clock, so hardly a new prestige car.

So how often does your DH wash their car?

We also have 2 young children, and 95% of the looking after them is left to me.

roll2.gif the next time DP does will be the first...

We've been together 14 years and I wash both cars every 6 months or so at a car wash place, so it takes about 10 minutes and costs about $8 per car. You can guarantee that it will rain within 24 hours of me washing it though, and if it didn't, it would get road dust/dirt on it every time we go for a drive. I don't think we've ever cleaned our engine bays, unless it's part of a normal service. DP does vaccum it sometimes though, but probably only 2-3 times a year and only if the kids have been eating something like bread rolls in there and have messed it up and it might get mice or something in there.  

I'd be sending the kids out to 'help' next time, and tell him to get a grip if he whinges.

#18 Great Dame

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

He sounds like my neighbour but with his lawn.  The guy mows it at least once a week (sometimes 5 days) and not just a quick job, takes over an hour with hedging, and god knows what else.  Every second day he's out there with the leaf blower and down on his hands and knees picking out some weed or bug. Completely obsessed.  

If your dh helped around the house I don't think you would have a problem with his car washing hey OP?  I don't blame you, I would be p*ssed too.

To answer your question, dh washes it once a week through the car wash because it's a company car and they pay for it.  Our own personal car gets washed once a month maybe.

#19 ubermum

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

Probably once a quarter, but like you OP, when he does, it is an all day event. He usually drives both our cars into the backyard and does them both.

Edited by ubermum, 19 March 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#20 serenitylisten

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

DH's is a company car, so he washes it whenever he knows he has to take someone to a meeting with him. He also makes the kids vacuum it every weekend. I would say it gets washed on average every fortnight.
He has been known to send the kids out with sponges and car wash if it is a hot day and it starts raining. Saves water and the car gets cleaned.

#21 mombasa

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

He goes through stages, sometimes it's weekly other times it's every few months, doesn't bother me as long as I am not expected to wash either car.

#22 Fluster

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

My partner washes our cars every 2-3 weeks.  Both are quite new, but his is a work car and mine is black, so we really can't leave it much longer.  It probably takes him an hour and a half, which includes a smoke break or two.  I vacuum the inside of mine, he shakes his floor mats out.  Every couple of months we'll wipe out the interiors of our car, which is really just removing DS's nose marks from the back windows.  

I used to date a guy like your partner, OP.  He was feral around the house but would spend hours cleaning his - wait for it - Suzuki Swift.  Honestly, what girl gets wet panties watching a guy cruising around in his Swift?

#23 serenitylisten

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (Fluster @ 19/03/2012, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to date a guy like your partner, OP.  He was feral around the house but would spend hours cleaning his - wait for it - Suzuki Swift.  Honestly, what girl gets wet panties watching a guy cruising around in his Swift?

You would be amazed. I know quite a few girls 16-26 year age bracket who love the Suzuki Swift in red or the bright yellow or green.

#24 dadathome

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (serenitylisten @ 19/03/2012, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You would be amazed. I know quite a few girls 16-26 year age bracket who love the Suzuki Swift in red or the bright yellow or green.

But do they love the guys that drive them? There's a lenghty recent thread on whirlpool started by a guy (boy?) concerned that his masculinity would be questioned by all and sundry if he bought a Swift.

#25 lozoodle

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

Car washing is DP's job. At the moment my car has some cobwebs on it laughing2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.