Headbutting his cot and waking up... help!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mumsy4

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hey all,

So DS is just 6 months old and has been rolling for a while now.
He has just started trying to crawl, getting up on his knees and frog hopping forward and apparently he does this during the night time, because I have watched him to see why he is waking up and it's because he is headbutting the cot bars.
So I went out and got those Air wrap bumpers, but they go around the outside of the corners and this is where he is hitting!!

Any idea's would be much appreciated, I am so over getting up during the night just to pull him further down his cot and the poor thing isn't getting the full night sleep he otherwise would!!

TIA!

#2 weepingangel

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Edited by pukeko~ponga~tree, 19 March 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#3 sparkles30

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Another vote for safe-t-sleep. Also good when they keep sitting up for no reason, and can't figure out how to lay back down. It's like a seat belt and keeps them in the middle of the cot. Doesn't work for all temperaments though. One of my daughters tolerated it, the other didn't.

#4 belinda1976

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

I might get grilled here but my DD1 was doing the same thing and the only thing that worked for me were proper cot bumpers.

I will say though when I put them on DD1's cot she could easily sit up, turn over/around and almost crawl.  It was the only thing that stopped it for her.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (belinda1976 @ 18/03/2012, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might get grilled here but my DD1 was doing the same thing and the only thing that worked for me were proper cot bumpers.

I will say though when I put them on DD1's cot she could easily sit up, turn over/around and almost crawl.  It was the only thing that stopped it for her.

Eeek sad.gif
No grilling from me but truly those things are so dangerous.

#6 tick

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

My DD did this for about 2 weeks at the same age.  Suddenly, as with most other frustrating phases, she learned not to do it and it was no longer an issue.

Give it a week or two and you might find it resolves.

#7 Mumsy4

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions all...
I did use to have a safe-t sleep for my DD because she needed to be wrapped to sleep after she could already roll, but I since heard they were a no-no so was avoiding them this time around. Also he is in a sleeping bag so I don't think they work with that do they?

fertile woman - do you know at what age they usually get use to the size of their cot?
The movement happens while he is sleeping and it doesn't seem to matter how many times I move him down to the bottom of the cot off he goes again.

#8 mummaorange

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

maybe try a porta cot as they are softer, my nephew headbuts till he falls asleep and is in a portacot as he was banging up his poor noggin

#9 belinda1976

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

You made a decision for your child that went against the safe sleeping recommendations. Cot Bumpers are associated with higher rates of infant death but it was your decision to use them and that is your right.

Please be very careful with what you present as a recommendation to other parents. It isn't the only thing that works because there is no safe solution in this situation apart from allowing the baby to grow out of the behaviour

Thanks for the grilling.  As I said it was the only thing that worked for me and I didn't actually tell the OP to use them.  I also tried the other methods suggested to no avail.

Nuff said!

#10 ~ky~

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

When my son started bumping his head and getting tangled up in the bars at night, I put him into a portacot full time. He was also climbing out of his cot at 7 months, so it was a strategic move with regard to that as well. He started climbing out of the portacot at 11 months so we put him into a bed with a bedrail.

#11 sophiasmum

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

My DD was travelling up the cot & hitting her head which would wake her, so I used a cot bumper up that end of the cot & she was fine.

Disclaimer: I understand the risks.

Edited by sophiasmum, 19 March 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#12 Fright bat

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

The use of cot bumpers and safe-t-sleeps is not recommended - but here's the evidence.

The absolute risk of any infant dying of SIDS is 0.8/1000 (varies a bit between population level studies but that's a reasonable average) - this equals one infant per 1250.

The relative risk of any infant dying because as a consequence of being placed on its stomach is about 2 - which means it is at double the risk of dying of SIDS. What this means in absolute terms is that the risk goes form 1/1250 to 1/625. Now, there is no study which specifically looked into this - this doubling of risk has been derived from population level studies in the US and UK following the introduction of the 'Back to Sleep' campaigns - overall, the rates of SIDS in these countries halved in the ten years following the start of the Back to Sleep campaign.

Note that parental smoking, being one of a multiple, or being the fourth child or more of the mother also increase the SIDS risk by about double for each risk factor. (There is no evidence that if you have multiple risk factors, the risks are directly additive).

But the Back to Sleep campaign involved more than just lying them on their back - it also included not using cot bumpers or pillows or fluffy blankets etc, as well as recommendations on smoking. It is actually impossible from the evidence available to determine how much each of these factors actually contributes to the increased risk. And its a study that can't be done - who would now allow babies to be randomised into the "mum start smoking and place your baby on its tummy' group of a randomised trial?! It would just be unethical.

So the short answer is that organisations like SIDS and Kids have to draw a lot of conclusions from a bunch of evidence that is not 'gold standard'. And as such, they draw the most conservative conclusions that they can - avoid anything that 'might' contribute to SIDS. This is their job.

So while I totally back the comments of fertile woman and STBG about avoiding cot bumpers and safe-t-sleeps - this is the background to that advice.

The only point I would make as a counter is that it seems that a significant portion of SIDS deaths now occur when bub has spontaneously changed position - ie rolled from back to prone. Because not all bubs get heaps of tummy time, and virtually none of them are used to sleeping on their belly, this is the time which has now become dangerous for them. So... if a product such as a safe-t-sleep stops a back lying bub from rolling - would that potentially actually prevent SIDS? I don't pretend to know the answer to that, and I don't think we ever will - again the issues of how you would actually conduct a research project into that mean that you can't.

What I would say, though, is that we all make decisions for our kids that may or may not put them at risk of various tings ranging from cuts and grazes to broken bones to death. We can't all protect our babies and children from everything... and each time we protect them from one risk, we are potentially putting them at risk of another (safe-t-sleep and a good nights sleep vs a tired mum who's gotten up 12 times overnight and still has to drive the toddler to kinder.... what's more dangerous? who knows?).

I think at the end of the day, on all issues, its important that people know the recommendations and why and how they came into being, and then do what's good for you.

For ME - a safe-t-sleep was a godsend. DS loved it form when we brought it in at 4 months when he started rolling and wriggling away. He didn't roll, or wriggle away, or end up with his head in the edge of his mattress. And he slept like a log, which meant well rested parents (who were both back at full time work 5 weeks after he was born). Would I recommend it to others? Only after telling them that it was not proven one way or other to increase ro decrease SIDS risks - but if used improperly then it could (as per SIDS and Kids).

#13 jindy poss

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

We had this problem just over a month ago, almost drove me mad but we waited it out and he stopped doing it after about 2 weeks. Good luck.

#14 j-gray

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I asked a similar question when DS was doing this ... another poster said something which stuck with me "SIDS is real".

I let DS be and he grew out of it soon enough.

#15 cloudstreet

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

My DD did this for a while, but she did eventually grow out of it.

#16 Logging out

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

My daughter started doing the exact thing! I would always wake her up took a months for her to stop waking up, just have to be patient.  bbighug.gif

#17 Jenferal

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

What about a cot bumper pad? Not one that goes all around the whole cot, but one like they sell at Baby's R Us which only covers the head end of the cot.
He'd have to bend in a really weird angle to suffocate or have any problems I'd THINK.
But if he's hitting the corner of the cot I can't see much else you can do.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.