Headbutting his cot and waking up... help!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mumsy4

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hey all,

So DS is just 6 months old and has been rolling for a while now.
He has just started trying to crawl, getting up on his knees and frog hopping forward and apparently he does this during the night time, because I have watched him to see why he is waking up and it's because he is headbutting the cot bars.
So I went out and got those Air wrap bumpers, but they go around the outside of the corners and this is where he is hitting!!

Any idea's would be much appreciated, I am so over getting up during the night just to pull him further down his cot and the poor thing isn't getting the full night sleep he otherwise would!!

TIA!

#2 weepingangel

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Edited by pukeko~ponga~tree, 19 March 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#3 sparkles30

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Another vote for safe-t-sleep. Also good when they keep sitting up for no reason, and can't figure out how to lay back down. It's like a seat belt and keeps them in the middle of the cot. Doesn't work for all temperaments though. One of my daughters tolerated it, the other didn't.

#4 belinda1976

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

I might get grilled here but my DD1 was doing the same thing and the only thing that worked for me were proper cot bumpers.

I will say though when I put them on DD1's cot she could easily sit up, turn over/around and almost crawl.  It was the only thing that stopped it for her.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (belinda1976 @ 18/03/2012, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might get grilled here but my DD1 was doing the same thing and the only thing that worked for me were proper cot bumpers.

I will say though when I put them on DD1's cot she could easily sit up, turn over/around and almost crawl.  It was the only thing that stopped it for her.

Eeek sad.gif
No grilling from me but truly those things are so dangerous.

#6 tick

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

My DD did this for about 2 weeks at the same age.  Suddenly, as with most other frustrating phases, she learned not to do it and it was no longer an issue.

Give it a week or two and you might find it resolves.

#7 Mumsy4

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions all...
I did use to have a safe-t sleep for my DD because she needed to be wrapped to sleep after she could already roll, but I since heard they were a no-no so was avoiding them this time around. Also he is in a sleeping bag so I don't think they work with that do they?

fertile woman - do you know at what age they usually get use to the size of their cot?
The movement happens while he is sleeping and it doesn't seem to matter how many times I move him down to the bottom of the cot off he goes again.

#8 mummaorange

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

maybe try a porta cot as they are softer, my nephew headbuts till he falls asleep and is in a portacot as he was banging up his poor noggin

#9 belinda1976

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:59 PM

You made a decision for your child that went against the safe sleeping recommendations. Cot Bumpers are associated with higher rates of infant death but it was your decision to use them and that is your right.

Please be very careful with what you present as a recommendation to other parents. It isn't the only thing that works because there is no safe solution in this situation apart from allowing the baby to grow out of the behaviour

Thanks for the grilling.  As I said it was the only thing that worked for me and I didn't actually tell the OP to use them.  I also tried the other methods suggested to no avail.

Nuff said!

#10 ~ky~

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:25 AM

When my son started bumping his head and getting tangled up in the bars at night, I put him into a portacot full time. He was also climbing out of his cot at 7 months, so it was a strategic move with regard to that as well. He started climbing out of the portacot at 11 months so we put him into a bed with a bedrail.

#11 sophiasmum

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

My DD was travelling up the cot & hitting her head which would wake her, so I used a cot bumper up that end of the cot & she was fine.

Disclaimer: I understand the risks.

Edited by sophiasmum, 19 March 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#12 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

The use of cot bumpers and safe-t-sleeps is not recommended - but here's the evidence.

The absolute risk of any infant dying of SIDS is 0.8/1000 (varies a bit between population level studies but that's a reasonable average) - this equals one infant per 1250.

The relative risk of any infant dying because as a consequence of being placed on its stomach is about 2 - which means it is at double the risk of dying of SIDS. What this means in absolute terms is that the risk goes form 1/1250 to 1/625. Now, there is no study which specifically looked into this - this doubling of risk has been derived from population level studies in the US and UK following the introduction of the 'Back to Sleep' campaigns - overall, the rates of SIDS in these countries halved in the ten years following the start of the Back to Sleep campaign.

Note that parental smoking, being one of a multiple, or being the fourth child or more of the mother also increase the SIDS risk by about double for each risk factor. (There is no evidence that if you have multiple risk factors, the risks are directly additive).

But the Back to Sleep campaign involved more than just lying them on their back - it also included not using cot bumpers or pillows or fluffy blankets etc, as well as recommendations on smoking. It is actually impossible from the evidence available to determine how much each of these factors actually contributes to the increased risk. And its a study that can't be done - who would now allow babies to be randomised into the "mum start smoking and place your baby on its tummy' group of a randomised trial?! It would just be unethical.

So the short answer is that organisations like SIDS and Kids have to draw a lot of conclusions from a bunch of evidence that is not 'gold standard'. And as such, they draw the most conservative conclusions that they can - avoid anything that 'might' contribute to SIDS. This is their job.

So while I totally back the comments of fertile woman and STBG about avoiding cot bumpers and safe-t-sleeps - this is the background to that advice.

The only point I would make as a counter is that it seems that a significant portion of SIDS deaths now occur when bub has spontaneously changed position - ie rolled from back to prone. Because not all bubs get heaps of tummy time, and virtually none of them are used to sleeping on their belly, this is the time which has now become dangerous for them. So... if a product such as a safe-t-sleep stops a back lying bub from rolling - would that potentially actually prevent SIDS? I don't pretend to know the answer to that, and I don't think we ever will - again the issues of how you would actually conduct a research project into that mean that you can't.

What I would say, though, is that we all make decisions for our kids that may or may not put them at risk of various tings ranging from cuts and grazes to broken bones to death. We can't all protect our babies and children from everything... and each time we protect them from one risk, we are potentially putting them at risk of another (safe-t-sleep and a good nights sleep vs a tired mum who's gotten up 12 times overnight and still has to drive the toddler to kinder.... what's more dangerous? who knows?).

I think at the end of the day, on all issues, its important that people know the recommendations and why and how they came into being, and then do what's good for you.

For ME - a safe-t-sleep was a godsend. DS loved it form when we brought it in at 4 months when he started rolling and wriggling away. He didn't roll, or wriggle away, or end up with his head in the edge of his mattress. And he slept like a log, which meant well rested parents (who were both back at full time work 5 weeks after he was born). Would I recommend it to others? Only after telling them that it was not proven one way or other to increase ro decrease SIDS risks - but if used improperly then it could (as per SIDS and Kids).

#13 jindy poss

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

We had this problem just over a month ago, almost drove me mad but we waited it out and he stopped doing it after about 2 weeks. Good luck.

#14 j-gray

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I asked a similar question when DS was doing this ... another poster said something which stuck with me "SIDS is real".

I let DS be and he grew out of it soon enough.

#15 cloudstreet

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

My DD did this for a while, but she did eventually grow out of it.

#16 Logging out

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

My daughter started doing the exact thing! I would always wake her up took a months for her to stop waking up, just have to be patient.  bbighug.gif

#17 Jenferal

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

What about a cot bumper pad? Not one that goes all around the whole cot, but one like they sell at Baby's R Us which only covers the head end of the cot.
He'd have to bend in a really weird angle to suffocate or have any problems I'd THINK.
But if he's hitting the corner of the cot I can't see much else you can do.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

My four months of breastfeeding madness

You imagine that everyone is thinking badly of you, and you tell yourself you have to keep trying. Even though you are in an impossible situation, you still won't give yourself a break.

Little girl's foul-mouthed ice bucket challenge viewed by millions

It starts out innocently enough, but soon Scarlett-Rose Davis is letting loose with an emphatic swearword.

Australian push for compensated surrogacy

A team of Australia fertility experts has advocated legalising commercial surrogacy.

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Daycare death shows licensing need

A baby's tragic death in a family daycare centre has underlined a need for better licensing laws in the US.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.