Catheter and bleeding afterwards
What's the deal?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cluckyandhopeful

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

I'm a novice at Caesars so I wanted to ask some really silly questions:

1 - the catheter...so what's the deal, where do they insert it (told you it was a silly question!)
2 - is it uncomfortable to insert? I've heard they normally do this when you're under?
3 - does it hurt when they remove it?
4 - when did you first pee/have a bowel movement etc?

In terms of your bleeding after the birth, was it heavy? I've heard breastfeeding can suppress this but wasn't sure if having a Caesar as opposed to a vaginal birth would make much of a difference?

#2 Excentrique

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

1. catheter goes in the urethral meatus, here's a diagram: http://www.nva.org/images/vulvar_anatomy.jpg
2. they put mine in after the epidural (not a c/sec, this was a normal birth). They do use a numbing cream as well.
3. nope, may have had the epidural still in effect a tiny bit though.
4. wee a good 4 or so hrs later, no.2, about 5/6 days later (shh don't tell the nurses!)

eta- bleeding is very heavy initially afterwards but you won't know much about this. It slows down very quickly though. Its different for everyone regardless of c/sec or vaginal birth.

Edited by Excentrique, 18 March 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#3 oNeLoVe

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

I've had 2 c-sections - 1 emergency, 1 elective.  Both times the cathetar was inserted in theatre so you're neither aware of it, nor feel it.  Removed the next day, and it doesn't really hurt, just a bit of discomfort and it's very quick anyway.  Honestly can't remember how long until I needed to pee - probably hours as your bladder will be empty when they remove the catheter.  Agreed, number 2 was days later!  Nurses at my hospital weren't worried about that though, just when you pass wind.  Until you'd passed wind you were on the "light diet" - so soup pretty much!  I may have told them I'd passed wind when I hadn't (ssshhhh about that hahahaha!)

bleeding, with the first I was finished around 3 weeks later, this time about 4 weeks.  Up to 6 weeks is normal.  

QUOTE (Excentrique @ 18/03/2012, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4. wee a good 4 or so hrs later, no.2, about 5/6 days later (shh don't tell the nurses!)

eta- bleeding is very heavy initially afterwards but you won't know much about this. It slows down very quickly though. Its different for everyone regardless of c/sec or vaginal birth.

#4 mpjp

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

I had an emerg cs so my experience might be different. I had the catheter put in before any a aesthetic, there was no time. It just stung a little, it was fine. It was left in until the next day as I had a bad reaction to the GA. I don't remember when I wee'd, may have been later that day.

#5 Green Fairy

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Emergency c-section, catheter inserted after spinal (have had it done without and it didn't hurt anyway just a little stinging sensation). Removing it is very quick and doesn't hurt. I had my csection in the early evening and was up next morning can't remember when I used the toilet but had no issues either way (so much easier than my vaginal births). I bled less after the c-section however I'm not sure it was due to that or just that each birth is different.

#6 MrsW87

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (Cluckyandhopeful @ 18/03/2012, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a novice at Caesars so I wanted to ask some really silly questions:

1 - the catheter...so what's the deal, where do they insert it (told you it was a silly question!)
2 - is it uncomfortable to insert? I've heard they normally do this when you're under?
3 - does it hurt when they remove it?
4 - when did you first pee/have a bowel movement etc?

In terms of your bleeding after the birth, was it heavy? I've heard breastfeeding can suppress this but wasn't sure if having a Caesar as opposed to a vaginal birth would make much of a difference?

To answer your questions original.gif

1. The catheter is put into your urethra (sp?) TMI but this hole is kind of above the main hole? Sorry dont know how else to explain it roll2.gif
2. Both times for me they have put the catheter in once the spinal was in and working so I didn't feel a thing.
3. I didn't think it hurt to remove, was more just a yukky, unnatural feeling. Just uncomfortable.
4. I first went to the toilet about 4 hours after the catheter was taken out? Bowel movement was not for about 3 or 4 days as I was too scared to push because I didn't want to hurt the muscles in my belly lol. Coloxyl with Senna helped the constipation.

My bleeding both times was heavy for the first 2 or 3 days, and then settled down so I didn't need maternity pads anymore just normal ultra thin ones, although I think this is different for everyone. With breastfeeding, I found that as I fed, and got the after pains, I would bleed more straight after they happened? and then it would settle down again.

Only advice I would give someone is get up and moving as soon as you can. The more I sat down and did nothing the first time, the more it hurt when I finally did get up. original.gif

#7 steffijade81

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Didnt feel mine go in as I was having a c section with a epi/spinal combo and they put it in after.

Very slight discomfort when it was taken out the next morning.

Bled very very heavily for the first week... changed a maternity pad every 30 - 60 mins after and alot of blood in the shower.

First BM was about day 4 after caesar.

#8 Chelara

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

I had an emergency c sec too, catheter put in in the delivery suite before going to theatre, not that bad I did have gas I think, no numbing cream or anesthetic. Bleeding was heavy but I also had a pph, due to he pph I think I had the catheter in for two nights. I guess I weed when I got to get up to shower. Having it put in was about the same as removal for me, In terms of discomfort. Don't let it worry you.

#9 ~ky~

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:21 AM

I've had 4 caesars ... the catheter was inserted before anaesthetic the first time and after the other three times. It was a little uncomfortable when no anaesthetic, but not painful as such. Removal all times was more a wierd sensation than painful. It left me feeling a little itchy where I couldn't physically scratch, but only briefly.

I first wee'd about 3 hours after the catheter was removed. This, I think is a little unusual but I had been pumped full of fluids due to pph.

I first pooed approx day 2 each time. The first time I was really worried about how it was possibly going to be hard to do or painful, but in reality it wasn't an issue. The next three times I reminded myself of this and I was fine.

I have a really good diet as I'm a diabetic, so my stool was soft anyway, but eating kiwifruit or drinking kiwifruit nectar can help with softening your stool and make it easier to pass.

After my first 2 caesars they were interested in whether I had passed wind or not and restricted my diet to liquid/bland/soft food items for the first couple of days. After my last 2 caesars I was presented with a normal lunch tray straight out of recovery ...

#10 Charmzy

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

5 csects  - 2 inserted before spinal, 3 afterwards (I had to request this for 2 but the 5th one they'd changed the way they do things and I didnt need to ask)

Having it inserted before spinal I hated, had me in tears every time.   Obv with spinal no feeling.  Having it removed is uncomfortable but bearable.

First wee within an hour or two of it being removed. Bowel movements took 4-5 days post op minimum and needed some assistance the last 2 times with the help of I think Lactulose?? Something like that to help get things going.  

#11 hayzee fantayzee

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

My catheter was inserted while I was under general anaesthetic for my first Caesar so didn't feel a thing. I don't recall it irritating me much while it was in there, it's held in by a balloon filled with about 10mls of sterile water. They deflate the ballot before removing it, I found it didn't hurt but I wanted to do a wee pretty much straight away. It was a little trickle of a wee though.
I think I had a BM about two days post op. I had Movicol every night and drank plenty of water. That was fine. I was actually dreading it but it didn't hurt. What felt a bit odd was I felt I didn't have any strength in my tummy muscles to push.

Before I posted I realised my phone had auto corrected BM to BMW.
Now that would make your eyes water and I'm guessing you'd need a lot more than Movicol to get that out. Hehe.

#12 Cluckyandhopeful

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

Thanks so much ladies!

Another silly question...if the catheter has to stay in overnight after the op, can I ask how you are meant to sit down/lie down or sit up in bed if the catheter is inserted down there??

Applebum, you mentioned that it's held in by a balloon?? Can I have some more information about this?

#13 tinkster23

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Catheters are a soft flexible tube, you can lay and sit without really noticing it.  The balloon is inside your bladder, so you can't feel it and it's tiny anyway.

#14 ubermum

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:48 PM

A very rare complication of birth (both normal and c/s) is urinary retention. Effectively this means you can't pee and can be caused by swelling and trauma down there. In that case, you would have to have a catheter for longer until the issue resolved.

You are unlikely to experience that, but I think it is good to know about every possible outcome, no matter how rare.

The baloon in your bladder that holds the catheter in holds approx 10ml of fluid, that tells you how small it is. It is inflated with saline once inserted, and a syringe is used to remove the saline and deflate the baloon before sliding the catheter out.

Edited by ubermum, 01 April 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#15 tibs

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Cluckyandhopeful @ 01/04/2012, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks so much ladies!

Another silly question...if the catheter has to stay in overnight after the op, can I ask how you are meant to sit down/lie down or sit up in bed if the catheter is inserted down there??

Applebum, you mentioned that it's held in by a balloon?? Can I have some more information about this?

I had mine taken out while I was still in theatre.  I was told I had to get up and do a wee within 4 hours of the op or they would put the catheter back in.

#16 Starrydawn

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

I had mine in before it just felt uncomfortable. After when they take it out you can feel numb it can be strange peeing as you cant feel but know you need to pee.

#17 Gone-Country

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

I've had 3 c/sections.  Catheter was inserted in theatre after the spinal block each time. It was left in until the next morning when I then got out of bed.  I could barely feel it when sitting or lying and I only felt a gentle tug when it was removed.

#18 lovemy32

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Both time my catheter was inserted before i went to theatre. When I asked why, the lovely nurse told me it's much more private to have it done before you go into theatre then to have all the theatre staff and surgeon watching while it was done. Don't know whether that would concern me much - but the catheter didn't hurt anyhow, so wasn't a big concern.

My hubby laughed, I loved the first night after the caeser.... I had a catheter in, which meant I didn't need to get up to go to the toilet a gazillion times, and I had the "leg massager" things on my legs (meant to stop clotting I think), beautiful and relaxing, and I didn't wake up with any night cramps in my legs. Best sleep ever! biggrin.gif

#19 wallofdodo

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 01/04/2012, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A very rare complication of birth (both normal and c/s) is urinary retention. Effectively this means you can't pee and can be caused by swelling and trauma down there. In that case, you would have to have a catheter for longer until the issue resolved.

You are unlikely to experience that, but I think it is good to know about every possible outcome, no matter how rare.

This actually happened to me. And it wasn't picked up. So I had 3 months  of using a catheter.

Don't worry it is VERY rare, even more rare to not be picked up.

It happened again when I had my gallbladder out last year, so I had to experience a catheter again (thankfully only one night) and yes it is a weird sensation, I think coming out is worse than in. It doesn't hurt, just a bit irritating.

You don't notice the balloon, they inflate it after it is in, it is like a little anchor.

You can sleep and sit. If you sit on it wrong it can feel a bit weird, like a tugging, similar to sitting on a tampon string strange.  You just have to make sure there are not any kinks in the tube for the outflow and that the bag is lower than your groin, you don't want to have it all backing up! But don't worry the way they put it in and rest it on your bed, these things happen naturally. I think lying on the tube is ok. Just don't bend it but if you are concerned at all, ask the nurses.

I had one permanently for 3 weeks and never had a problem (it was changed twice in that time).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.