What are the advantages/disadvantages of having baby in a bassinet in your room?
I seem to be one of the very few not doing this.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 babymumma89

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hi Ladies,

Just a curious question as I am putting my baby into a cot in his own room, and I seem to be one of very few people doing this.
Most of my family/friends have had baby in a bassinet or cot in their room for upto 6 months.

WDYT?

#2 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

I think that having the baby "room in" for six months is a SIDS guideline recommendation.

#3 Carmen02

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

my 2 older children went into their own room from the start and that was mostly due to DH working shift work and he needed his sleep working 12hrs a day and it worked well for us, our 3rd was kept in our room till close to a year old mostly due to him beinng born premmie and being sick alot and DH wasnt working shift work anymore so helped out heaps. I think whatever works for you dont worry about anyone else does

#4 ~Supernova~

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Well one of the advantages is that having them in your room reduces the SIDS risk. Another is easy feeding in the night.

Having said that, we don't have enough room in our bedroom for a cot, so DS (11 days) is in his own room. For the first few days I was paranoid and slept in the lounge room with him though Tounge1.gif His bedroom is diagonally opposite ours across the hall (around a metre and a half between our doors) so that also helps reduce my anxiety of not being able to have him in our room Tounge1.gif

It's an individual choice. Ideally I would prefer to have him in our room, but couldn't see the point of buying a bassinet which doesn't last long. I would have though if his room weren't so close. But then...he spends so much time sleeping on ME that I guess it's a moot point Tounge1.gif

#5 Bluenomi

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Advantages:
Don't have to go far to get baby for night feeds
Easy to check on them during the night

Disadvantages:
Baby sleeping noises keeps you awake, some are really noisey!
DH getting up for work in the morning woke DD up
We had to be really quiet when going to bed so we didn't wake DD
I found feeding in bed was uncomfortable, I much prefered the chair in the nursery

DD slept in her bassinet until about 8-10 weeks then went into her room in the cot. I had been planning on keeping her in our room for longer but it worked best for all of us for her to be in her room. She'd started moving around too much in the bassinet by then and kept hitting her head on the top so needed more room as well.

#6 pocopeanut

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

I had baby in bassinet and now the cot in my room as I am on my own and it doesn't disturbing anyone.  A couple of the mums in my mothers group couldn't fit the cot in their room so babes were on their own.

It's common for babies to be in same room up until they move to the cot and are sleeping longer.

Everyone is different, you're the mummy and you do what you are comfortable with.

#7 MintyBiscuit

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Definitely a personal choice. DS is still in with us at 4.5 months in a bassinet, and we've just bought a bigger cradle as I'm hoping to keep him in the room until he's down to only one overnight feed (or none!)

For me, it's much easier than traipsing down the hall in the middle of the night, particularly because we have two cats who think it's time to get up and go nuts for the day if we leave our room at night. DH took a little while to adapt to the sleeping noises, but after a few weeks he was able to basically sleep through the feeds and everything else. The last couple of weeks it's been particularly helpful because he's taken to stirring every hour or so, and rather than getting up and going to another room I can just pop my hand in and rub his belly to get him back to sleep

#8 PopperPenguin

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

My son was in our room in a bassinette for 2 days before we moved him. His constant noises in his sleep kept me awake all night.
Some people suggest sleeping them in their own room is better for their sleep as their parents aren't getting up at every single mutter and murmer from them, thus interupting their sleep patterns.

#9 Balto1

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

DS was in a cot in his own room from birth. It was the room diagonal from ours so very close.

It worked for us and we never had to go through the drama of transitioning to a cot or moving him into his own room. It removed the temptation to feed him back to sleep in bed (DH is a big guy and a very heavy sleeper so this would not have been safe)

Also, I think it helped that we live in a very hot area so we just had a fitted sheet on the mattress and could pop in straight into a light grobag and not have to worry about blankets being pulled up over his face etc.

#10 meggs10

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

I had both my boys in a bassinette for about 2-3 months before using the cot. SIDS recommends sleeping the baby in the same room as the parent/s for the first 6-12 months so I slept in the baby's room so that I could more easily check on him during the night and listen out for any problems. And it also allowed my husband to sleep undisturbed during the night so that he was better able to work all day and help with the household duties.

I moved them to the cot when they were about 2-3 months when they had grown too large for the bassinette. Then I moved back to sleeping in my room but I would check on the baby all the time and use a monitor to make sure he was breathing properly etc during the night.

But that is the only reason why I used a Bassinette. I found that they are pritty good for when the baby is a newborn but they grow out of it very quickly.

#11 Snuffster

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

DD went straight into her cot in her own room.

We bought an Angelcare Sound and Movement monitor which put my mind at ease.

I love that we didn't have to transition her from our room. She has always known and been comfortable in her own room.

Overnight I would change DD's nappy as well as feed, and quite frankly, it was easier in her room.

When we have taken her to relatives for overnights and she has been in a room with us, I have found it frustrating that I haven't been able to put the light on/ rustle around/ have a proper conversation with DH in the evening after we have gone to bed. I like that we each have our own spaces at home.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing! I couldn't imagine it any other way in our house, and DD is now 8 months old original.gif

#12 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

All 3 of ours were in the bassinet in our room till 4-6 months of age.

Advantages-

-Do not have to get up and go to another room to feed the baby. huge plus when your very sleep deprived and baby is feeding several times a night.
-Don't have to get out of bed to check on baby.. pop the dummy back in without getting out of bed.  
-I felt more secure with baby beside me. I just couldn't put my tiny newborn in another room on her own. Be prepared that you might feel this way too.
-Having baby in the room with mum lowers the SIDs risk. The baby learns to regulate it's breathing by hearing mum breathing.
-Bassinets are portable. During the day I would push the bassinet to whatever room I was in and my baby would sleep near me. Very convenient- baby is right there if you need to check on them.

Disadvantages- none that I can think of. Hearing the baby noises never bothered me.. hearing the noise was a comforting for me.

You can easily pick up a bassinet secondhand. Ours is an older style and huge so the baby could fit in it for at least 6 months. We got it from an Op shop for $5! Well worth the money!

#13 witchesforest

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

If i had to get out of bed at night to deal with crying babies there is no way i would have had any!

Co sleeping is great for me, but bassinet next to the bed would be the next best thing.

#14 Bluenomi

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Princess.cranky.pants @ 16/03/2012, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can easily pick up a bassinet secondhand. Ours is an older style and huge so the baby could fit in it for at least 6 months. We got it from an Op shop for $5! Well worth the money!

If you are going to do this PLEASE make sure you check it over really well for safety issues just like you would for a cot.

#15 katevin

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

My son was in our room in a bassinette for 2 days before we moved him. His constant noises in his sleep kept me awake all night.

DD1 only lasted 1 night in our room tongue.gif DD2 was in her own room right from the beginning. I'm a very light sleeper and their bedrooms are close enough to ours anyway- I can still hear many of their sleeping noises through walls/closed doors!

#16 seayork2002

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:44 PM

I have no idea of the good and bad, our son was in his own room from 2 weeks old (my mum and sister were in his room before that) we needed our sleep to care for him the best way we could so this is why we did it.

#17 missj

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

I just found it easier with the night feeds.  We kept ours in our room for about 4 months, I think.

#18 mumandboys

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

I actually can't think of any disadvantages!

Advantages:

Reduces risk of SIDS
Easier to get up for feeds
Peace of mind knowing you'll hear everything

#19 liveworkplay

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

I cant think of any disadvantages personally. We did it with our three and it was far easier plus the peace of mnd of following SIDS recomendations. Personally, I hate being separated from my newborns. It nearly killed me when my c/s baby was separated from me for 2 hours. DD2 and DD3 never once left my sight.

#20 Guest_Craptacular_*

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

DS has a sidecar cot but usually ends up in our bed. He is almost 5 months old.

I couldnt be bothered getting up to tend to him by which time he'd be hysterical. He feeds back to sleep so it's easier to have him with us. I couldn't bear it have him away from me anyway.

When DS went through an 8 week stage of waking hourly it was good having him next to me because I would just latch him on and we'd all go back to sleep.

DS likes being with us but some babies don't and want their own sleep space. They're all different, there's no right or wrong answer, do what's best for you original.gif

#21 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (mumandboys @ 16/03/2012, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Advantages:

Reduces risk of SIDS

This

#22 jayskette

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

saving electricity/gas!
It's pretty expensive to heat up one room in the deep winter here, I do not want to waste money by heating two!

#23 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (mumandboys @ 16/03/2012, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Advantages:

Reduces risk of SIDS

This.

Plus baby mammals are meant to sleep near mum at night.

Plus I miss him if he's not there.  When he outgrew the bassinet I moved him into his own room.  Ha ha that lasted 4 hours.  Now (5 months) I sleep in my room until his first feed (11 if I'm lucky) and then switch to the guest bed in his room.

#24 Nastyflea

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

My baby was pretty small, and she was in our room in the bassinet till she was about 7 months old and I HATED having to move her to her own room. Sadly our room is so small we had trouble fitting the bassinet, no way could we fit the cot too.
Even now I prefer it when she comes in with us at 6Am or if she's having trouble napping every so often. Nothing beats watching her sleep and hearing her breathe... original.gif

#25 nasty roses

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

OP, if I were you I'd stick with whatever plan you have, but be flexible enough to change it if necessary.

The thing is, it's hard to tell how things will be, until the baby arrives.

Our first was in a bassinet next to our bed for the first three months. It was great. It was in the middle of winter, and all I had to do when he woke up was reach over and pick him up, feed him and then put him back to bed. I didn't have to get out of bed at all! The baby noises didn't bother us.

However, it was a very different experience with DD. When she came home, she lasted about two hours in the bassinet, before we moved it into her room. We just couldn't sleep with her in there, and she didn't seem to settle well either. She was the kind of baby who just wanted her own space in her own room.

So it's just best to go with the flow and do what works best for you and your particular baby and his/her sleeping/feeding patterns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

How to make flying with a toddler more bearable

After almost three years of living in Canada, it was time to pack our bags, bundle up our three children (including our two and a half year old Toddler) and pray to the heavens above, before flying to Aussie Land to see our family and friends.

Breastfeeding may help with caesarean pain, says new study

Breastfeeding after a caesarean section may help manage persistent pain, finds new research on the post-birth experience of new mothers.

Recall notice: fourth cot recalled in less than one month

A recall notice has been issued for yet another cot sold in Australia -the White New Zealand Pine 3-in-1 Baby Sleigh Cot Bed with Drawers.

A baby girl, a baffling disease - and the only way to help her is to hurt her

Every morning, Kevin Federici pulls on a head lamp, sterilises a sewing needle and prepares to prick his baby girl all over her tiny body.

If you make your own baby food you'll love this Instagram account

Tired of making carrot purée? Take a look at this mum's homemade baby food creations.

The unique baby names literally no one is choosing

After a unique baby name for your little one? Here are the monikers no one chose in 2016.

'It's such a boost': mum receives 'thanks for breastfeeding in public' card

It was the boost one mum needed at just the right time.

Sharing makes young children happy - just don't force them

There are many emotional benefits to sharing, but only if it's voluntary.

5 ways to a healthy pregnancy

An easy pregnancy that results in a healthy baby: that's the dream.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.