Breast pads

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Buy Me A Pony !_*

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

I've been reading about how the washable ones are completely useless but I'd still prefer to use them over disposable. So far I'm thinking the Avent ones might be best. Can anyone recommend me a brand or where to purchase them? Also how many should I buy? How often do you need to change washables? I'm a fairly heavy leaker and have had a few embarrassing moments in public. Do people carry spare shirts with them? Also what do I say if somebody else notices before me? I've simply been horrified and carried on while trying to cover up with my arms sad.gif

ETA I've been using disposables

Edited by Buy Me A Pony !, 14 March 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#2 Amber Spyglass

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

I started using the disposable ones, but I am such a leaker that it was costing a fortune. I had to change every single feed. And DD was feeding a dozen times a day.

These days I use the Avent washable ones, they are really reliable and I havent had too many leaks. I check after each feed, but I don't always need to change, but as soon as they are damp I swap with a fresh one. I'd use about four to six a day on average now. I bought three packs, so I have 18 all up. I put them in the washbag and they go in with either my whites, knickers/socks etc or with baby clothes, and I don't often run out.  

Don't worry too much about milk leaking, if you are worried you could do what I do and use a nice lightweight cotton scarf as a breastfeeding / milk leak coverup! At least wearing a scarf can look better than a muslin wrap over your top if it gets wet.

#3 Hungry Caterpillar

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

I use the Avent ones and prefer these to the disposables. I change them each time they get soaked so after each let down usually. I have 18 so need to wash them daily but I just toss them in with any other load that I need to do. They line dry quite quickly. I purchased mine at Babies Galore which is now Mothercare.

#4 redkris

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

I can't advise on what kind of pads to get, but regarding leaking and it showing on tops, I used to wear floaty peasant tops that had a pattern on them. They were fairly see through but I wore a black singlet underneath
like this:

or this:

If there was leakage there would be a mark on the tank underneath, but the overshirt wouldn't show anything.

Edited by redkris, 14 March 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#5 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

I used folded facewashers terry towelling type, worked  way better than those commercial breast pads

Congratulations by the way.

#6 KimDeal

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

I found some great reusesable ones at a baby store in Adelaide, made from bamboo, much larger than the avent ones. I'd check around at smaller baby stores for options.

#7 Hungry Caterpillar

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

Forgot to add that I don't usually leak during the day just overnight as I don't wear a bra to hold the pads in place. The one time I leaked noticeably was using disposables and I just made a joking throw away comment and got on with whatever I was doing.

#8 Bluenomi

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

I liked the Avent ones best but I did find they do leak more than disposables since they don't have the plastic backs. I ended up only starting to use them once the leaking eased a bit. I'm a lazy washer so had about 3 packs in the end.

#9 Guest_Buy Me A Pony !_*

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Thanks guys. I've taken to layering up as you suggested redkris so it now mostly ends up all over the singlet wink.gif

#10 B.M.C.M.I.E

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

I use the bamboo breastpads from Sustainable Hemp something-or-other. I was leaking pretty bad when my milk came in and they did a great job.

#11 noi'mnot

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

I found the resusable ones to be the best! I bought some off ebay, and some from the ABA store Mothers Direct. They were fantastic. I always had a few pairs of disposables with me too, just in case. I think I had about 10 pairs of washables, that was plenty for me. To be honest, other people were normally more embarrassed than I was about leaking breasts.

I second the singlet with loose top approach if you're worried. I'd also have a spare cardigan or pashmina as well for emergency coverups, but only leaked with the reusables very very rarely.

#12 Lil Chickens

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

I use Peapods Bamboo reusable and have never had leaks through them.  Its got a waterproof breathable outer layer - I think it is PUL like MCN's.

I got a three pack to start at this link

Then I liked them so much I made some more - I bought some PUL at spotlight and used some old bamboo and hemp nappy inserts that had worn around the edges.  I used the peapods one as a size guide.

Edited by Isabelle Thomas, 14 March 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#13 jemsoli

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

i found the avent ones useless for my constantly leaking boobs. i would wear them for an hour and start leaking through. wearing them overnight was NOT an option.

i bought some bamboo ones from abby gro and they are awesome. definately have a look around for some bamboo ones, they are MUCH more absorbent than the cotton avent ones.

#14 Blingy

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

I use the Peapods that a pp mentioned. I'm an absolute cow.. Could feed 10 babies and am always leaking and the Peapods have never leaked through to my clothes ... The best pads ever

I got mine in a pack with a nappy and some liners from the baby expo last year

#15 impi_star

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

I used the Avent ones & found that though they were more comfortable than disposables they were not as good as the Nature's Child organic cotton ones. I don't have a huge leakage except over night so haven't had a problem with them leaking through tops.

Washing really depends on how much you leak, I have 18 of different types.

You can get Nature's Child from Sustainababy or Ecobabe, they have larger ones for overnight or even light cotton ones for just in case.

#16 CharliMarley

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

Some mums in our ABA mother's group are really happy with Wool Breast Pads, which are lanolin-enhanced and of course are washable. You can buy them online at BreastMates in New Zealand and they come from N.Z. sheep. laughing2.gif

#17 bjk76

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I used Avent washable ones, as I didn't like the waste or the cost or the feel of the disposables. I had no issues with them.

I used Avent washable ones, as I didn't like the waste or the cost or the feel of the disposables. I had no issues with them.

#18 boopyscreet

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

Ive got some Avent ones and some Itzy ritzy glitzy ones. Sadly I just checked and I don't think you can buy them in Australia any more which is a pity as they are awesome. They are bigger than the average size breast pads and really lovely and soft.

The itzy ritzy site in the US ships to Australia but the shipping is a bit expensive.

I am just about to go and find all mine and wash them in preparation for the big event!

#19 Balto1

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

I bought some at clothpadshop.com. Work really well for me but I am a fairly light leaker. Think most of the cloth nappy sites sell them too.

#20 White-Lily

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

I used the Avent ones with DD but switched to disposable ones as I leaked a lot, then back to avent when my milk settled down. I think I had 2 packs so 6 pairs and it wasn't enough for me.

I have seen some fabric ones on ebay with a PUL backing for waterproofing so have a look on there.

I also layered anyway as it helped keep my wobbly tummy in check and out of the public view.

#21 xeddy

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

I tried Avent washable breast pads but I really didn't like them, they didn't seem to be very absorbent. I have been using disposable breast pads but should really look into using washable.

I always wear a singlet under my shirt for feeding in public which also hides any wet spots from feeding! original.gif

I carried a spare shirt around in the nappy bag for the first few weeks after experiencing a massive leak at the chemist on our way home from hospital.... had to throw a wrap over my shoulder and pretend I was using it for DS even though DH was carrying him! lol

#22 sg290780

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

Absolutely loved the washable ones - have no idea what I used but washable was heaps better - good luck original.gif

#23 Guest_Hoggle_*

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

Mazalicious, they are awesome and so comfy!

http://maz-a-licious.congocart.com/category/10

http://maz-a-licious.congocart.com/category/9

I have used avent ones and they were crap.

Edited by Hoggle, 15 March 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#24 Eternally

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

I've got a few bamboo ones, and a few cotton. I prefer the bamboo ones, heaps more absorbency.
But they have started to get a bit of what I think is mildew on them (sometimes they have lingered in the washing basket for a day or two). Any suggestions for getting them properly clean?

#25 CharliMarley

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Some of the mums I know just love Wool breastpads, because they have lanolin in them and are so soft and breathable. You can get them online and they come from N.Z. They are called Breastmates. They of course are washable and the mums are very happy with them. cclap.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.