Anyone own an apartment as a rental property?
What is a good return % and do you recommend having an apartment?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tulip :-)

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hi,
We are looking at an apartment in Adelaide city (very early stages) as an investment property.  The return is around 7.9% gross, and 6 something percent net.

We are very new to investment properties and are not sure if this is a good return or not.

I look forward to your replies.

#2 Spring Chickadee

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

The return % alone isn't enough to make a call. My return is higher but i prefer a positively geared strategy which isn't for everyone. I also won't touch apartments/units/duplexes/town houses with a ten foot pole- again it's just a difference in how I like to invest.

The return % alone isn't going to tell you whether it's a good investment. I would also be looking at vacancy rates (If it's empty for months at a time you won't be getting that return!) and how I feel property values will grow over the coming years in that area. There are areas you can get a half decent return in but property values are so slow to rise you are unlikely to make much in the long run.

Also given you are restricted with apartments compared to houses how new is the apartment block? are there strata fees? will you be making improvements to the apartment and are these allowed?

#3 BetteBoop

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

7% is a good return. It almost seems too high for a city unit, given the current market.

But as PP said there are other considerations than the rental return.

I wonder about body corporate fees and if these have been factored in to the net yield. Some unit complexes can charge $3000 a quarter in fees.

I own a strata titled unitl with low body corp fees and it's a great investment. I steer well clear of complexes with pools, gyms, lifts and air con in common areas.

#4 Tulip :-)

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

This apartment we are looking at is part of a serviced apartments group.  So it is not long term stay.  It is managed by a company.  The net % is after strata, etc.  The reason this apartment is attractive to us is that you get to stay in it, rent free for 14 days throughout the year, and as we live 1.5 hours out, this would be great for weddings, family holidays etc.  Just a bonus I guess, but having never looked into this type of thing before, I am not sure where to start to find out if this is a good investment or not.

Thanks very much for your replies.

#5 tothebeach

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

What are they basing their occupancy figures on and is this realistic?

#6 Tulip :-)

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

Occupancy figures and return are added together for the whole building and then averaged and divided up for individual apartments, it is not based on a single apartment alone.

There are some other apartments for sale that guarantee a return (you sign for an agreed figure for 2 or so years) but these are about 20% more expensive for 2 bedroom apartment.

I guess we are just looking to get into the investment market, start small and see how we go.

#7 ellebelle

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

These kinds of managed apartment complexes are invariably very poor investments for capital gain in the Brisbane market at leat.

#8 Tulip :-)

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Do you know why they are considered poor investments ellebelle?  I figure if we can buy something, and someone else pays off 90-95% of it for us, we should be infront long term?  But, I have no financial/investment background.

#9 Divvy

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Just check with your bank as to whether or not they'll finance it.

In Melbourne, from anecdotal data (people trying to refinance these types of apartments from family law property settlements) the banks won't touch them unless you have at least 40% equity.

The market for them also had the bottom fall out of it recently.  Many people lost tens of thousands of dollars.

I'd find a different type of apartment if I were you.

#10 ellebelle

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

While you get good cashflow in some cases, there is little capital growth. In the worst case, you sign a management agreement where you are charged a fortune in miscellaneous amounts such as changing light bulbs and there's no capital gain and lousy net rent.

You can buy a 1bd unit in Teneriffe Brisbane, a very blue chip area for a gross retun of around 6% right now and capital gain is absolutely guaranteed. It's a no brainer!

#11 KC-

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

I've not looked into managed service apartments to any great extent  but the off the top of my head things to consider are:
- what capital growth are you looking for? managed units only interest a small niche part of the market so resale can be notoriously difficult. This is why many finance companies won't touch them
- who has calculated the claimed 7.9%? Is that your figures or what the marketing agent is purporting. Make sure you do your own due dilligience.
- what is your strategy for this property? Is it a buy and keep long term? how long? are you investing for income or negative gearing, or capital growth? this is tied in with the next question
- what is the depreciation schedule and has this been taken into account in the 7.9% return? How long is the depreciation lifespan?
- what's the resale turnover of older serviced apartments in the same area? do they sell easily? how many days on market and what is the capital growth for these (make sure you aren't comparing rates for apartments generally, again serviced apartments are niche)
- who is the target market for rentals? in Canberra for example, serviced apartments are highly susceptible to changes in govt policy as govt is the primary market. Is the market mainly business, if so which industries, or tourism, if so what is the seasonality. How long is occupancy guaranteed for? If the guarantee comes to an end and there's no demand, every owner will be trying to sell at the same time and the prices will fall through the floor
- what level of control do you have over the management of the property? If the managing agent goes bankrupt of fails to perform to standard, what options will you have?
- what are the current strata fees paying for? is there a sinking fund established? If they aren't investing in the property, it will quickly lose out on market share to the next set of new serviced apartments that the same company (or another company) builds nearby

Whether it is a good return or not completely depends on how it fits with your overall investment strategy. Also make sure you get very good legal advice on what you are actually signing up for with regards to the management arrangements and make sure you research things yourself - don't just rely on the marketing blurbs

#12 kez71

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

we have one. Ours is a small complex, only 5 stories high and rented to a company that uses it as a serviced appartment. Im not sure off hand on the percentage, but it will be paying for itself within 4 years.

Is it a good investment? well Im not sure yet, but we really wanted to find one that we could live in down the track incase we got work in the city, or indeed just to stay in for trips to the city. We found A lot of the serviced apts were not available to use yourself and were parts of hotel's or student accomodation only.

My advice is to do your research and ask a lot of questions! Good luck

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.