What Made It Worthwhile For You To Return To Work
Money, Job Satisfaction etc??

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Miss 50s

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

I woke up in the wee hours of this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so started thinking about everything as you do and going back to work in the New Year came into my head. I was only working 2 days a week prior to going on Mat Leave and clearing after tax around $1300 so around $300 a week for the 2 days. Daycare would cost me for the 2 kids $150 a day so $300 for the 2 days and we would get the 50% back (not eligible for the other payment). So I'd come out with $150 a week working 2 days 8.30-4.30.

Now I know that's crap money but it is something. It could buy the groceries (minus nappies Tounge1.gif) though and every little bit helps. My DP works away for 2 weeks at a time and is back for a week so juggling the 2 kids and work and everything by myself would be tough but loads of women do it. The main thing is though that I love my job. It's working admin in a school - just basic stuff but I love the school environment and the kids plus I get 10 weeks hols a year so that $300 a week is spread over those weeks too.

So WDYT? Even though the money is not there would you go back? I'm thinking more of keeping a foot in the door for when the kids are older. It's the school they will be going too as well so that would be ideal.

original.gif

#2 2bundles

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

For me it was adult company, job satisfaction, and the thought of financially contributing.  

Can you ask for one more year off without pay as a compromise?  2 days a week is a great balance.  I assume you can also do fairly short days if you are working in a school?

#3 Miss 50s

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

I don't really want another year off so if I was going back I'd go back next year. The hours are 8.30-4.30 - same as a regular office except I get the holidays off which is a great perk!

#4 Julie3Girls

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

You have a job in a school, with school holidays off. KEEP IT!!!!!!

Childcare is only for a few years. Might seem like a lot now, but it's amazing how quickly the time goes and suddenly you have kids at school and you are having to worry about vacation care etc.  Working in a school, would there even be the option of spreading your hours over more days, but shorter days (once the kids are at school)?

Oh, and it's not just $300 a week - it's also money going into your superannuation.  2 days a week, you might still qualify for some FTB as well.

#5 lozoodle

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

If you enjoy it, its worth it. No matter what the $ amount. It all helps and if you like your job its a good idea to hang onto it as your kids wont be small forever original.gif

#6 BetteBoop

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (Miss 50s @ 14/03/2012, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I know that's crap money but it is something. It could buy the groceries (minus nappies Tounge1.gif) though and every little bit helps. The main thing is though that I love my job. It's working admin in a school - just basic stuff but I love the school environment and the kids plus I get 10 weeks hols a year so that $300 a week is spread over those weeks too.

So WDYT? Even though the money is not there would you go back? I'm thinking more of keeping a foot in the door for when the kids are older. It's the school they will be going too as well so that would be ideal.

original.gif

I would keep the job, for all the reasons you listed.

Finding a decent job 2 days a week is very, very difficult. If you have one, hold onto it!

#7 PurpleChicken

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

Money was a major factor for us, but also I didn't want to be a SAHM.  I was an emotional wreck and struggled to keep DD entertained during the day so going back to work was a bit of a sanity saver for me.

Mind you, I had to go back FT, which wasn't what I really wanted, but it has worked out well.

If I were you, I'd take the 2 days a week.  Keep your foot in the door, get some personal time (even if it is at work) and the kids are kept entertained all day while at DC.  Also, the 10 weeks holidays a year would be worth keeping!

ETA:  I totally agree with PP that finding a great 2 day/week job that you love is damn near impossible.  I tried to find a PT job for months with no luck.

Edited by PurpleChicken, 14 March 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#8 Rumply

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I think you are in a good position, as a PP said, working in a school, part time hours... KEEP IT!!  Especially if you love it.

Financially it might not make you rich, but it covers the cost of child care, with a little extra pocket money... which you wouldn't have otherwise. And it will put you in a good position for when you children do start school.

My DS LOVES day care... he has developed really well there, so I wouldn't dream of taking him out.

#9 EmmaBlue

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

I agre with the PPs - Childcare isn't forever, you love your job, you get great holidays.... gives you more options for later too!

At the very least give it a try and see how you go! GOOD LUCK!!!!

#10 White-Lily

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

In your situation I would go back. Loving what you do is VERY important! Your kids are only small for a short time and working part time in a school sounds ideal for when the kids are actually at school. Also think of your super, when you work it gets contribution made, when you don't work it just sits there.

For me, returning to work first time round was for the money. Second time round it will be so I can get access to my Long Service Leave  ph34r.gif  how long I stay after that we will find out next year.

#11 Freddie'sMum

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Why did *I* go to back to work ??

For my sanity.

Yes the money helps - more so now we have have moved and got a bigger mortgage - but when the girls were little - *I* needed a break from them.

It sounds like you really enjoy your job - I would stay with it original.gif

#12 Toodee

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

This is pretty much my exact situation, except I work in a corporate office so only get a standard 4 weeks of leave. I went back to work for my own sanity as I suck at being a full time SAHM.

Finding an admin job where I could have all school holidays off would be awesome for me next year when my oldest starts school.

#13 cinnabubble

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

I went back to work because I am the primary income earner and don't have the luxury of choice.

#14 heidi's mum

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

I would keep the job, as other posted have said it is very hard to find a 2 day per week job. For me it was about my sanity and having something stimulating to do, along with adult conversation.

On another note - keep in mind that although you get the school holidays, most daycare centres are open and you would have to continue to pay childcare whether you attended or not over most of that holiday period (only xmas and easter prob excluded). Just something to keep in mind.

#15 Miss 50s

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (heidi's mum @ 14/03/2012, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would keep the job, as other posted have said it is very hard to find a 2 day per week job. For me it was about my sanity and having something stimulating to do, along with adult conversation.

On another note - keep in mind that although you get the school holidays, most daycare centres are open and you would have to continue to pay childcare whether you attended or not over most of that holiday period (only xmas and easter prob excluded). Just something to keep in mind.

Yep I was doing that before when I just had DS. I kept him in most of the time since he took so long to settle in at the start I didn't want to drag him out during hols and then put him back in after.

#16 Holidayromp

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

To be quite honest there was nothing worthwhile for me to return to work.  In fact it cost more for me to work than me just staying at home.  At the end of a fortnight there was only a measily $20.00 leftover - so how is that better off - I don't know?  We went backwards when I went back to work - in essence I was paying just to work and along with the stress and lack of money it just wasn't worth it.
Also if we wanted to go away (which was rare due to lack of money) we still had to pay for cc and that really hurt.

#17 **Xena**

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

For me I wanted a bit of extra money, to get my foot back in the workforce and because as much as I like being a SAHM I was starting to go a bit stir crazy. I now work 5 hours a week over 2 days for about $110 a week and I am happy. Luckily I also work when DH is home to look after the kids so I don't even have to worry about childcare.

#18 lamarque

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Totally agree about keeping your foot in the door and if it can pay for your groceries, that's great.  I wouldn't worry about the small wage and you might get a decent tax return too.  

I work two days a week and it's a perfect arrangement.

#19 tans999

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

There's also superannuation and maintenance of employment skills.

For me, it was mostly because I enjoy my job. I like PP's response of new clothes/shoes though!

#20 catnat

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

For me it was initially money. We had For Sale signs on the front of our house as we just couldn't afford to stay. When I received that phone call offering me a job (H was only 3 months old) that $400'ish a fortnight extra that I'd be ahead by working part-time was totally worth it.

What came with it though was sanity. I was going out of my tree with 3 children under 2 and the baby had terrible reflux. I found I really enjoyed the change of scenery and the challenges work provided. I was however very lucky that I was able to work half days so that I could still breastfeed and DH was able to re-arrange his shifts and H was only in FDC for 1/2 a day.

In your position I'd probably do it. 2 days a week isn't a lot.

#21 Aribika

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

I agree with the majority of pps.  Two days a week with school friendly hours is a dream come true for me !

Lorraine

#22 Madeline's Mum

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

The challenge, adult stimulation, career advancements, 6 figure income that allows us to buy a house in a great catchment, financial stability for my son and sanity.

#23 BornToLove

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

It's simple - I am not SAHM material. I feel I'm a better mother and partner when I'm working. Being able to take vacations and maintaining a decent savings account are bonuses.

#24 Guest_Craptacular_*

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

So that I can afford a cleaner.

#25 ms flib

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

I found going back to work really hard the last time. I had a child at school, a preschooler at kindy and a baby in cc. I did get a return to work bonus that kept me there that first year. I nearly quit my job but now my youngest is a school, I am loving it. I have increased my hours from 2 days to 3.5. I have taken on extra responsibilities and I'm being paid more. I'm so glad I struggled through!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.