Toddler Craddle Cap
Give me your cures!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

So I knew 3yo DDs scalf was a little flaky / dry, but I saw it in the sunlight today and it's full on cradle cap, big crusts over her scalp.

Her hair is washed thoroughy twice daily, so we obviously need some new products. So hit me with what works - I've heard a lot about moo goo?

#2 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:14 AM

Is there a reason why you're washing her hair so often? That could very well be contributing to the cradle cap. A couple of washes a week should be all that's required under normal circumstances.

Plain old olive oil works pretty well. Leave it in for a while, comb it through, then wash the hair. Never had to use anything else.

#3 judy_

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:31 AM

Moogoo products - the shampoo and the Scalp cream.
When DS1's cradle cap was bad I would shampoo and rub the cream into his scalp and leave overnight and then rinse out the next day. Repeat for a couple of days.

You definately do not need to wash a kid's hair every day.  Once I get rid of the cradle cap (it takes 3 days or so of the above routine) I only wash once a week.

our problem was the lack of brushing whcih helps move natural oils around.

#4 mmk

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:32 AM

DS only had it as a baby but olive oil worked for us too. I just put it in and left it overnight. A couple of days later it was gone. It wasn't severe though. I'd try olive oil while u're sourcing some moo goo.

#5 BVB09

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

I tried olive oil - didn't work
washing hair    - didn't work
not washing hair - didn't work

Then I tried some soap free all over body wash (can be used to wash hair as well) by DERMAVEEN, worked very well. I am also using DERMAVEEN OITMENT with Colloidal Oatmeal, I use it all over DD body as she suffers from mild skin conditions. I rub this in her scalp nearly everyday. She still has cradle cap, but not as severe.

This has been the only product that has helped so far !

#6 roses7

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

DD had persistent cradle cap until she was about 5. I used olive oil which worked but it always came back. In the end the combination of moogoo scalp cream plus twice daily brushing with a fairly stiff brush finally worked and she hasn't had cc for almost a year.

I wouldn't be washing hair any more than once or twice a week. We do it once a week.

#7 belsy

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

Try Mustela foam shampoo.

Shampoo

I tried the rest and this is the only thing that worked.

I agree with PP that washing two times a day is excessive.  You need the natural oils in your child's scalp to come out.  I would try washing every second day to begin with and then stretch it out to twice a week.

#8 *~*Kitty*~*

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

I just leave the conditioner in for a few minutes and that softens it, I use one of those round, palm size brushes (the ones guys use) to give it a little massage in, rinse as usual and most of it combs out, recomb/brush when dry and most will be gone.

As per pp, I think you're washing too much.  PP's also mentioned not brushing enough, my DD's hair is still very fine and hasn't got a lot of length so doesn't need brushing as much so that's why she still gets it.

#9 notjustyet

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

We got a product from the chemist that is basically an oil that you put on the crusty bits each day for several days. It says not to scrape off the crusts with your finger as it will make it worse.

After about 4 days of DS having an oily head his cradle cap cleared up. He still hates us washing his hair but at least the cradle cap is now gone. DD has it now, she is 3 months, but gets bad eczema if we use any soap or anything perfumed so we're leaving it alone for now.

Washing twice a day would be making it worse. You should only wash once every 2 to3 days at least or you mess with the natural scalp oils etc.

#10 SummerStar

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

For all of my kids that have had it all I've done is rub baby oil into their head an hour or so before a bath then wash it out. From the 3 experiences I've had its never returned.
I too think washing hair that much is a bit excessive and wouldn't be helping.

Edited by SummerStar, 14 March 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#11 tothebeach

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Do you need to do anything about it?  DS had it as a baby.  He had lots of hair so it wasn't noticable.  I didn't do anything and I guess eventually it went away.  At least, I assume so  - maybe I should check...

#12 IsolaBella

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

Bad Skin family here.

2, 4 & 6yo still suffer at times

Moo Goo Scalp Cream is what I use to remove it when it really builds up. Apply thickly to scalp for a day or two and then comb out with a nit comb.

Olive Oil, Bi-Carb etc did nothing.

Other item which helped was the Mustela stuff.

So Moo Goo and Mustela

#13 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Whoops, I meant to say every second day! That's what you get for posting late at night... She needs her hair washed that often due to kinder / hat / sweat / sand pit etc, so we might switch to the moo goo shampoo. The only problem I'm thinking with the scalp creams etc is that being older, not a baby, she has a lot more hair unsure.gif

PP who asked if you need to treat it - well, it doesn't hurt them or anything, but I don't really want my kids having big crusts over their heads, and I certainly wouldn't want it on myself wink.gif

Edit to add: Thank you everyone for your replies and recommendations - much appreciated!

Edited by SCARFACE CLAW, 14 March 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#14 Nicole

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

A bit of baby oil massaged in and a nit comb always worker for me. Most importantly, always rinse with clean water, never, ever use the bath water.

#15 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Nicole @ 14/03/2012, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A bit of baby oil massaged in and a nit comb always worker for me. Most importantly, always rinse with clean water, never, ever use the bath water.

Oh I hadn't thought of this! Does the bathwater leave excess shampoo or something? I'll tell DH (he's in charge of hair washing!). I'm going down to a local shop tomorrow which sells goat milk shampoos etc, and I'll give that a try.

#16 *Finn*

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Yea moo goo all the way!

DD had it terribly around 5 months old. I tried everything but the improvement didn't last long. Moo goo was fantastic but I had to physically sit there and lift the yucky pieces from her scalp it was that thick,

#17 IsolaBella

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

No my 2 ,4 & 6yo have it really bad. The scalp cream is really the only thing which works.

When DS2 was 3yo I attempted just to pick out the CC.... he ended up with a bald patch 1x2 inches long. Thankfully that area grew back thicker then ever.

The boys have very thick longer hair (I need to keep it longer so the CC is not as easy to see).

So not just NB with not much hair here.

#18 ubermum

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Bicarb soda.

Make it up to a paste with water, smear on the cradle cap and leave until it dries. It's a little messy but at least no stains or oil marks on things. Wash out in the shower or bath. Ours was all gone in one application, yours may take a few but you should see improvement from the first go. Cheap, easy treatment with stuff you probably have in your house already, with no need to pick at their head.

#19 lamarque

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

Make a paste of bi carb soda and olive oil. Coat head and send them to bed. Wash off in morning. HTH

#20 *mylittleprince*

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

I would only wash 2 - 3 times a week maximum. If her hair is sweaty or she's accidently put food/sand/etc in it, just wipe it down with a wet cloth. I second MooGoo products.

#21 Mamabug

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

We use Moogoo shampoo and conditioner, and when they have had cradlecap, Moogoo scalp cream. Three days is the longest I have had to use it.

I rub it in with a good massage, leave for about 10 minutes then gently comb through with a lice comb. It lifts the worst of the crustiness on the first comb. Then I rub some in at night and use a soft bristle brush the next morning.

I find the Moogoo doesn't leave an oily residue like olive oil has (tried that with #1 - she had cradle cap that came right down her forehead, eyebrows and bridge of nose...was a lovely look!).

www.moogoo.com.au - you can order online.

#22 Monket

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I used head and shoulders shampoo...once....and it went away!

#23 Soontobegran

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

I think the key is to make sure whatever you wash the hair with that you really massage it well into the scalp. The massage improves the blood flow to the area and skin will not get so dry.

I am a simple olive oil and then a good shampoo and comb out the dry skin type of person. original.gif (repeating this every wash until it is gone)

#24 SeaPrincess

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

I'm not convinced that washing makes it worse or better, I have a friend with twins and one had cradle cap and the other didn't - they had their hair washed the same way and the same frequency.  She used baby oil, and so did I when DD got cradle cap.

#25 wallofdodo

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

The only time we really have been rid of it was when my guy had Nits. So I recommend conditioner and combing. But that is probably the same as olive oil and combing.

I must get onto it again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.