Do you have a current Cause ?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 LambChop

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

My current (slightly obsessive lol) cause is Marriage Equality.  I'm passionately against the Marriage Act and feel government has no right to tell me or anyone else who to love & commit their life too.  I'm part of a FB group that is actively campaigning, and I regularly post my comments and outrage at various things on the group and on my FB.  If there's a march, I'll be going!

What's your Cause and what do you do with it ?

Edited by LambChop, 13 March 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#2 Therese

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

My cause is encouraging people to donate blood. Once a month my youngest has an infusion of immunoglobulins as she has an immune deficiency.  It is a blood product and without people who donate blood we would have a very sick little girl. It's lifelong.

So my friends are probably sick of hearing about it and I also have been invited by the Red Cross to speak to people at a few different events about how it changes our life.

It is my way of giving back to an organisation that changes our life every month.

#3 kidwrangler

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

My current cause is the Leukaemia Foundation - I'm taking part in the World's Greatest Shave on the weekend, and yes, shaving my hair AAAArrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!  ffear.gif biggrin.gif ohmy.gif   For those who like visuals, here's my link. I'll be adding the 'after' pics next week original.gif

An ongoing cause I volunteer my time for is supporting breastfeeding with the ABA.

I used to be very vocal and involved with Human Milk Banking, but needed to take a step back as it was taking over and creating too much stress.

Although I am not very vocal about it, I have always been a supporter of equal marriage rights and happily support friends' FB posts etc original.gif

#4 JRA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

My cause that I have spent most time with is those who really need help because often simply their country doesn't have the resources - so most of my "cause" time has been spent with Oxfam. They also do a fair bit with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, so with people who often need it here in our own country.

I have been doing less with them lately, only a day every month to 6 weeks. It is in my normal professional work, so it is high value (I hope) work I give to them.

Most of my "donation" time is currently on our local hockey club, so not a cause. Hopefully once the season starts I will have more time to spend on something worthy.

#5 Indiana Bones

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I have several causes, but my main one at the moment is alerting people to animal testing. It isn't hard to choose not to purchase cosmetics, skin care,hair care and cleaning products that are not tested on animals. I make a choice to be choosy about what sort of cosmetics/products I use and I make sure that my choices do not inflict pain of defenceless animals.

I also am against cage eggs and battery farming

I am also against purchasing real fur items, nor will I wear faux fur because I simply do not agree with wearing anything that is, or resembles a dead animal.

Basically I am one big campaigner against animal cruelty.

Edited by Indiana Bones, 13 March 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#6 katpaws

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

Road safety - rather boring compared to other people's causes.

I live near schools that are on a major truck route and i want there to be better signage etc to give children a safer environment when they travel to and from school. I am also trying to change parent behaviour when it comes to driving around one particular school.

#7 CFMummy

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

Ive never been into causes but I do donate blood and am now very interested in Cystic Fibrosis due to personal resons

#8 LambChop

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Road safety - rather boring compared to other people's causes
  No way!  Community needs people with a passion across the board, don't devalue your contribution!

#9 deejie

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

Breast milk banks and breast milk donation. There are a lot of women who want to feed their bubs (particularly premature babies) BM but can't for numerous reasons.
Donated BM is a valid option, but not one that has a high awareness.

#10 **Xena**

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Marriage Equality
Animal Cruelty
and
Aboriginal Care

#11 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

I love the capital C original.gif

I don't have anything major ATM, I am a member of several marriage equality groups and share the links, I am a member of a BF group which I hope is raising awareness to normalize BF in public spaces and BF beyond 6 months.

At work (when I go back) I do my research in cultural law so my passion tends to go there.

We also donate regularly to a couple of charities which we will both rabbit on about at the slightest provocation laughing2.gif

There's so many good causes, although I do like ones like marriage equality which (IMO) have an end in sight, hopefully soon.

#12 baddmammajamma

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

My cause (no surprises here) is Autism Awareness - helping the general public learn more about ASD, helping fellow parents recognize the potential red flags of ASD, and advocating for greater services/support for ASD families.

I spend quite a bit of time raising awareness on EB and within mug large network of friends/family/colleagues. I also dedicate several hours per week serving as an informal mentor/support system to families who are grappling with a new or suspected diagnosis. I fundraise for Autism Awareness every year during the City2Surf.

April is Autism Awareness month, so be prepared to see me on EB a lot! original.gif

http://www.autismawareness.com.au/

Edited by baddmammajamma, 17 March 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#13 TinFeralCat

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

The one that is taking up a lot of my time at the moment is Veteran's issues.

Basically the way our Returned Servicemen and Women are treated by the government on return  is devastating for them and their families.

Previously I have been involved with ABA, and running our local toy library.

I'm still new at getting involved with things original.gif

#14 TinFeralCat

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

dp

Edited by TinCat, 14 March 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#15 babybeli

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

I would say I have two

Anti Coal Seam Gas Mining.  I am attending peacefull rallys etc

and Organ Donation at I am in need of a kidney.

I would say I have two

Anti Coal Seam Gas Mining.  I am attending peacefull rallys etc

and Organ Donation at I am in need of a kidney.

#16 Jembo

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Organ Donation would be the main current one - have been fundraising and trying to raise awareness in our local community for the past year in various ways.

Am also involved in Pelvic Instability, after suffering from it and finding little advice/information and finding that incredibly frustrating.

#17 ephalant

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

Mine is NDIS and http://everyaustraliancounts.com.au/ and disability funding and support (or lack of), particularly in schools.  I challenge everyone who comes out with incorrect information about disabilities and what people with disabilities can and can't do.  I go through periods of bombarding everyone on my facebook with information about disability - but if it helps to educate one person on the facts then it's worth it.

#18 LambChop

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Very inspiring ladies, thank you original.gif  Go Girl Power original.gif

#19 kidwrangler

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

Lambchop: thanks for the thread - it even inspired an EBer to sponsor my 'Shave for a Cure' original.gif One more sleep until I get the clippers eeeekkkkk!  ohmy.gif

It is a shame that this died a fast death under the mountain of minutiae that is the general boards, rather than becoming one of those amazing threads that go for days and become EB legend. I'd love to have seen 20 pages of how others support their community or improve the lives of others... here's my EB version of rose coloured glasses LOL  cool.gif

Congrats to everyone who cares enough to look beyond themselves and assist those around them, no matter how near or far. I've had a few people ask if I have a personal reason for supporting the Leukaemia Foundation atm, and my answer is no - I really feel it is important that I can do this to support families going through such a traumatic and difficult time while I am able to do it. Hopefully, if something ever happens to my loved ones, others will be doing the same so I can focus on that person's recovery, not fundraising IYKWIM?

#20 JRA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

kidwrangler: I think you will find there are a huge number of people on EB who spend a lot of time doing work on a cause or for charity.

I would not take the number of responses in this thread as the number of people who help.

That said, the number of responses isn't going to inspire others.

#21 Velvetta

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Anti coal seam gas, but all I do is have a bumper sticker

#22 Veryclucky

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

My main causes at the moment are : Cancer research through doing the Ride to Conqeur Cancer in August and raising awareness of Icythyosis - a family of genetic skin conditions that 2 of my brothers have. I do most of my awareness through my eldest brother who is heavily involved with raising money for research through grants and funding some himself. Links on FB, telling people about it and supporting him to do the incredible work he does which includes mentoring other families that have children with this condition and also working with foundations around the world that help support people with Icythyosis and related conditions.

I am also heavily involved in scouting in my local area which I believe is a great way for children and adults to get involved in their community, learn life skills and make friends while having fun.

I also help the local Lions as my dad is the current president so get roped into different events

#23 Me n Marshmallow

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (LambChop @ 13/03/2012, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My current (slightly obsessive lol) cause is Marriage Equality.  I'm passionately against the Marriage Act and feel government has no right to tell me or anyone else who to love & commit their life too.  I'm part of a FB group that is actively campaigning, and I regularly post my comments and outrage at various things on the group and on my FB.  If there's a march, I'll be going!

What's your Cause and what do you do with it ?

I think that's great! Hopefully because of people like you my brother will be able to get married one day.

I guess my cause is nutrition. I often give nutrition advice to people who request it, and I love it. My main passion is food allergies and intolerance, probably because I suffer from 3 and DD has 2. What I want to do with it is after my degree I would like to do a PhD and study the genetics and causes behind food allergies and intolerances. I believe there must be a reason why they are becoming so common. I would like to look at the high amount of chemicals that we consume now (pesticides, fertilisers, food additives ect.) and see if there is a connection. I think it's possible that these chemicals are causing gene mutations or switching certain genes on and causing food allergies/intolerances. Then we are passing these mutations on to our kids.

#24 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

Mine is the pituitary Foundation.

http://www.pituitary.asn.au/Support/AHelpingHand.aspx.

My son was born with an inactive pituitary gland and i try to help and support the foundation to hopefully one day they can know why many people all over the world have pituitary problems.

#25 baddmammajamma

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Before I read yet another inane or fluffy thread, I am going to read every link shared in this thread.

Great topic, LambChop, and there are some wonderful causes that people are supporting!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.