Do you have a current Cause ?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 LambChop

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

My current (slightly obsessive lol) cause is Marriage Equality.  I'm passionately against the Marriage Act and feel government has no right to tell me or anyone else who to love & commit their life too.  I'm part of a FB group that is actively campaigning, and I regularly post my comments and outrage at various things on the group and on my FB.  If there's a march, I'll be going!

What's your Cause and what do you do with it ?

Edited by LambChop, 13 March 2012 - 09:22 PM.

#2 Therese

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

My cause is encouraging people to donate blood. Once a month my youngest has an infusion of immunoglobulins as she has an immune deficiency.  It is a blood product and without people who donate blood we would have a very sick little girl. It's lifelong.

So my friends are probably sick of hearing about it and I also have been invited by the Red Cross to speak to people at a few different events about how it changes our life.

It is my way of giving back to an organisation that changes our life every month.

#3 kidwrangler

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

My current cause is the Leukaemia Foundation - I'm taking part in the World's Greatest Shave on the weekend, and yes, shaving my hair AAAArrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!  ffear.gif biggrin.gif ohmy.gif   For those who like visuals, here's my link. I'll be adding the 'after' pics next week original.gif

An ongoing cause I volunteer my time for is supporting breastfeeding with the ABA.

I used to be very vocal and involved with Human Milk Banking, but needed to take a step back as it was taking over and creating too much stress.

Although I am not very vocal about it, I have always been a supporter of equal marriage rights and happily support friends' FB posts etc original.gif

#4 JRA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

My cause that I have spent most time with is those who really need help because often simply their country doesn't have the resources - so most of my "cause" time has been spent with Oxfam. They also do a fair bit with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, so with people who often need it here in our own country.

I have been doing less with them lately, only a day every month to 6 weeks. It is in my normal professional work, so it is high value (I hope) work I give to them.

Most of my "donation" time is currently on our local hockey club, so not a cause. Hopefully once the season starts I will have more time to spend on something worthy.

#5 Indiana Bones

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I have several causes, but my main one at the moment is alerting people to animal testing. It isn't hard to choose not to purchase cosmetics, skin care,hair care and cleaning products that are not tested on animals. I make a choice to be choosy about what sort of cosmetics/products I use and I make sure that my choices do not inflict pain of defenceless animals.

I also am against cage eggs and battery farming

I am also against purchasing real fur items, nor will I wear faux fur because I simply do not agree with wearing anything that is, or resembles a dead animal.

Basically I am one big campaigner against animal cruelty.

Edited by Indiana Bones, 13 March 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#6 katpaws

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:39 AM

Road safety - rather boring compared to other people's causes.

I live near schools that are on a major truck route and i want there to be better signage etc to give children a safer environment when they travel to and from school. I am also trying to change parent behaviour when it comes to driving around one particular school.

#7 CFMummy

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

Ive never been into causes but I do donate blood and am now very interested in Cystic Fibrosis due to personal resons

#8 LambChop

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Road safety - rather boring compared to other people's causes
  No way!  Community needs people with a passion across the board, don't devalue your contribution!

#9 deejie

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

Breast milk banks and breast milk donation. There are a lot of women who want to feed their bubs (particularly premature babies) BM but can't for numerous reasons.
Donated BM is a valid option, but not one that has a high awareness.

#10 **Xena**

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Marriage Equality
Animal Cruelty
and
Aboriginal Care

#11 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

I love the capital C original.gif

I don't have anything major ATM, I am a member of several marriage equality groups and share the links, I am a member of a BF group which I hope is raising awareness to normalize BF in public spaces and BF beyond 6 months.

At work (when I go back) I do my research in cultural law so my passion tends to go there.

We also donate regularly to a couple of charities which we will both rabbit on about at the slightest provocation laughing2.gif

There's so many good causes, although I do like ones like marriage equality which (IMO) have an end in sight, hopefully soon.

#12 baddmammajamma

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

My cause (no surprises here) is Autism Awareness - helping the general public learn more about ASD, helping fellow parents recognize the potential red flags of ASD, and advocating for greater services/support for ASD families.

I spend quite a bit of time raising awareness on EB and within mug large network of friends/family/colleagues. I also dedicate several hours per week serving as an informal mentor/support system to families who are grappling with a new or suspected diagnosis. I fundraise for Autism Awareness every year during the City2Surf.

April is Autism Awareness month, so be prepared to see me on EB a lot! original.gif

http://www.autismawareness.com.au/

Edited by baddmammajamma, 17 March 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#13 TinFeralCat

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

The one that is taking up a lot of my time at the moment is Veteran's issues.

Basically the way our Returned Servicemen and Women are treated by the government on return  is devastating for them and their families.

Previously I have been involved with ABA, and running our local toy library.

I'm still new at getting involved with things original.gif

#14 TinFeralCat

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

dp

Edited by TinCat, 14 March 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#15 babybeli

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

I would say I have two

Anti Coal Seam Gas Mining.  I am attending peacefull rallys etc

and Organ Donation at I am in need of a kidney.

I would say I have two

Anti Coal Seam Gas Mining.  I am attending peacefull rallys etc

and Organ Donation at I am in need of a kidney.

#16 Jembo

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Organ Donation would be the main current one - have been fundraising and trying to raise awareness in our local community for the past year in various ways.

Am also involved in Pelvic Instability, after suffering from it and finding little advice/information and finding that incredibly frustrating.

#17 ephalant

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:53 AM

Mine is NDIS and http://everyaustraliancounts.com.au/ and disability funding and support (or lack of), particularly in schools.  I challenge everyone who comes out with incorrect information about disabilities and what people with disabilities can and can't do.  I go through periods of bombarding everyone on my facebook with information about disability - but if it helps to educate one person on the facts then it's worth it.

#18 LambChop

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Very inspiring ladies, thank you original.gif  Go Girl Power original.gif

#19 kidwrangler

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

Lambchop: thanks for the thread - it even inspired an EBer to sponsor my 'Shave for a Cure' original.gif One more sleep until I get the clippers eeeekkkkk!  ohmy.gif

It is a shame that this died a fast death under the mountain of minutiae that is the general boards, rather than becoming one of those amazing threads that go for days and become EB legend. I'd love to have seen 20 pages of how others support their community or improve the lives of others... here's my EB version of rose coloured glasses LOL  cool.gif

Congrats to everyone who cares enough to look beyond themselves and assist those around them, no matter how near or far. I've had a few people ask if I have a personal reason for supporting the Leukaemia Foundation atm, and my answer is no - I really feel it is important that I can do this to support families going through such a traumatic and difficult time while I am able to do it. Hopefully, if something ever happens to my loved ones, others will be doing the same so I can focus on that person's recovery, not fundraising IYKWIM?

#20 JRA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

kidwrangler: I think you will find there are a huge number of people on EB who spend a lot of time doing work on a cause or for charity.

I would not take the number of responses in this thread as the number of people who help.

That said, the number of responses isn't going to inspire others.

#21 Velvetta

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Anti coal seam gas, but all I do is have a bumper sticker

#22 Veryclucky

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

My main causes at the moment are : Cancer research through doing the Ride to Conqeur Cancer in August and raising awareness of Icythyosis - a family of genetic skin conditions that 2 of my brothers have. I do most of my awareness through my eldest brother who is heavily involved with raising money for research through grants and funding some himself. Links on FB, telling people about it and supporting him to do the incredible work he does which includes mentoring other families that have children with this condition and also working with foundations around the world that help support people with Icythyosis and related conditions.

I am also heavily involved in scouting in my local area which I believe is a great way for children and adults to get involved in their community, learn life skills and make friends while having fun.

I also help the local Lions as my dad is the current president so get roped into different events

#23 Me n Marshmallow

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (LambChop @ 13/03/2012, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My current (slightly obsessive lol) cause is Marriage Equality.  I'm passionately against the Marriage Act and feel government has no right to tell me or anyone else who to love & commit their life too.  I'm part of a FB group that is actively campaigning, and I regularly post my comments and outrage at various things on the group and on my FB.  If there's a march, I'll be going!

What's your Cause and what do you do with it ?

I think that's great! Hopefully because of people like you my brother will be able to get married one day.

I guess my cause is nutrition. I often give nutrition advice to people who request it, and I love it. My main passion is food allergies and intolerance, probably because I suffer from 3 and DD has 2. What I want to do with it is after my degree I would like to do a PhD and study the genetics and causes behind food allergies and intolerances. I believe there must be a reason why they are becoming so common. I would like to look at the high amount of chemicals that we consume now (pesticides, fertilisers, food additives ect.) and see if there is a connection. I think it's possible that these chemicals are causing gene mutations or switching certain genes on and causing food allergies/intolerances. Then we are passing these mutations on to our kids.

#24 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

Mine is the pituitary Foundation.

http://www.pituitary.asn.au/Support/AHelpingHand.aspx.

My son was born with an inactive pituitary gland and i try to help and support the foundation to hopefully one day they can know why many people all over the world have pituitary problems.

#25 baddmammajamma

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Before I read yet another inane or fluffy thread, I am going to read every link shared in this thread.

Great topic, LambChop, and there are some wonderful causes that people are supporting!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Win Love Child Season 1 & 2 on DVD

To celebrate the release of Love Child Season 2 on DVD from July 9, Essential Baby and Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment are giving away Love Child Season 1 & 2 on DVD to 13 lucky winners.

10 things I wish my pre-baby self knew

I look back at my pre-baby self and laugh at how ridiculously easy I actually had it. I remember complaining about how tired I was and how little time I had.

Creative ways to store your child's art

Ideas for storing your child's artworks have moved on from sticking them to the fridge door before guiltily dumping them in the bin.

Child abuse ignored because 'it's not your children': Waleed Aly

Waleed Aly takes apart the immigration law that's designed to "protect politicians"

How a newborn niece changed star Australian basketballer's life

In August 2013 star basketball Abby Bishop was 24-years-old and in the prime of her sporting career.

Guilt is my new shadow

No one warned me that when I gave birth there would be an additional side order of guilt.

12 brilliant Ikea hacks for kids’ rooms

Check out these creative upcycling ideas that transform regular Ikea items into something special for your little ones.

Child's nightmare about 'man with a light' turned out to be real

For three days, a three-year-old boy had been saying there was "a man with a light" outside his window at night.

Toilet truths after giving birth

The thought of going to the toilet after giving birth is often feared, but there are ways to make it less painful.

Woman asks strangers for $1 million to stop her having an abortion

An anonymous woman is taking an extreme moral and ethical stand by seeking $1 million in donations to prevent her going ahead with a planned abortion.

How a woman's dying wish made another woman a mum

"I kind of think about, 'What did I do beforehand? What kept me so busy back then?' Because now I'm really busy."

The parenting do-over: what six parents did differently second time around

In playgrounds across Australia, you can hear parents lamenting, "When we have our next baby I swear I won't be doing THAT again".

A solo birth, a wasp swarm and a forest fire: mum and baby's amazing story of survival

Desperate, out of petrol and low on food, a new mother lit a fire in the hope of attracting attention.

Boy found on swing died of hypothermia and dehydration, autopsy finds

The story was chilling and heartbreaking: a three-year-old boy was found dead in a Southern Maryland park, his mother pushing him on the swing.

Child's play and laughter help battle fatigue

Feeling fatigued? Uh-huh, thought as much. Join the queue.

Dad shares entertaining 'how to hold a baby' clip

For many new dads, their own child is the first baby they have ever held. So one dad has posted an instructive YouTube video titled "How to Hold a Baby".

The Australian baby with 100,000 Facebook fans

She may be only eight months old, but Egypt has already amassed more than 100,000 fans and received a letter from royalty - Hollywood royalty that is.

Tongue tie: what you need to know

Tongue and lip tie can lead to many problems for babies - and their parents. Here are the signs of tongue tie and how it's treated.

My daughter is small but that doesn't matter

My daughter may be small, but it's my job as her parent to refocus back where it belongs - on who she is as a person

Wet wipes linked to rise in allergic reactions

The government has issued a health warning after a rise in allergic skin reactions has been linked to a preservative found in some wet wipes.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

27 funny ultrasound pictures

Ultrasounds give you a look at your growing baby ... and sometimes what appears to their womb-buddy, or your bub in an amusing position.

What all parents should know about safe babywearing

A picture of Ryan Reynolds always gets the girls talking, and a recently shared photo has done exactly that - but this time, it's for all the wrong reasons.

Baby's head shape reveals potentially fatal condition

Thinking her baby just had an unusually shaped head, a mother was shocked to discover it was instead linked to a dangerous condition.

Why IVF success rates may not be what you think

Transparency, accountability and responsibilityare essential measures to protect IVF vulnerable patients.

Mother-in-law 'from hell' inspires survival guide

The happily ever after Nicola Milan had imagined wasn't to be – and she blames her mother-in-law.

Owning a pair of nail scissors does not make me a hairdresser

It's been a whole year since sleeping in until 10am. A whole year since having a peaceful shower.

The 83 children who were tragically let down in the last decade

Over a 10-year period, 83 children died from domestic violence abuse in NSW, with three quarters of the victims aged five years or under, the NSW Ombudsman has revealed.

Is it reasonable to expect your partner to give up drinking in pregnancy?

From the moment that I fell pregnant with my son, I realised just how much my life had already started to change.

Stroke victim joins class action against makers of popular contraceptive pill

"I was terrified I would always be this way. The pill needs to come with a much higher warning."

Sexy time

Why you should get excited about scheduling sex

Unfortunately, the belief that sex should always be spontaneous is a myth. It just isn't.

When newborn photoshoots get messy

When it comes to newborn photoshoots, it is all about the timing.

Expert Q&A: Gross motor skill development in toddlers and preschoolers

Dr Katie Heathershaw answers questions about jumping, toe walking, riding a bike and being pigeon toed.

'Samuel is our firstborn, and he will never be forgotten'

Having lost their firstborn at one day old, the Carrolls were overjoyed to welcome their daughter Isobel into the world a year later.

Dad takes miraculous catch while feeding baby

One American father has taken multitasking to a new level at a Cubs-Dodgers baseball game at Wrigley Field.

Name your baby Quinoa, win a $10K gift card

Choosing a name for your little bundle of joy is always a major decision. It can be something traditional, trendy, creative … or inspired by the menu of your favourite chain restaurant.

On the 10th anniversary of my son's death

This day marks a significant day. Today marks 10 years since I lost my son Kai.

'Help - my toddler hits me!'

My toddler has started hitting when he gets frustrated, is feeling ignored, or just thinks it might be fun.

The top 6 misleading parenting terms

From 'morning sickness' to 'the terrible twos', there are many parenting terms that are misleading.

When 'good' nannies go bad

While most nannies take pride in their work, there can be some who have a hidden side.

Woman hospitalised for skinny jeans injury

Beware: skinny jeans might be bad for your health.

Gauze seeding: the bacteria-breeding birth trend

A number of women having caesarean deliveries are now taking steps to give their baby a better 'microbiome' start in life.

Jimmy Fallon writes new children's book for dads

Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC's The Tonight Show, recently wrote a children's book about every father's secret wish for their baby's first word to be "dada" - not "mama".

28 names for babies born in winter

Looking for some baby name inspiration for a bub born during the colder months? Here are 28 options from around the world to consider.

FREE TICKET

Get your FREE ticket to the Baby & Toddler Show

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.