stitches/tearing etc

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LouChoo

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hi

this is my first time on here. My DD is 6 months old and I'm just wondering how you know whether what kind of tear (3rd degree etc) you had?  My OB didn't explainn anything to me, and being my first baby I didn't know to ask.
I was induced and baby delivered by ventouse. I was bruised completely....black everywhere, each time a new midwife came on, it would be 'oh, I;ve heard about your bruising'.  On inspection (as well as I can see anyway) I'm pretty sure I tore all the way to my bum...and haven't contemplated sex yet.
So, am I better to not know, or should I find out? Idon;t know if I could go through what I did again, but with Caesarian only other option, I don;t know what would be better.
thanks for reading.

#2 munchmum

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

It should be on your birth summary you got from the hospital/ob It's your right to ask for this if you don't have it. And It's definitely best to know what happened in my opinion.

#3 Paddlepop

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

I'm very surprised that your OB didn't tell you what type of tearing you had. It should be on your discharge summary from the hospital, or possibly in your Child Health Record book (Red Book in Qld, Blue Book in other states?). If you had a private OB you might be able to ring him/her and find out, and if you were in the public system it might be easiest to get your GP to find out for you. Either way, your GP should be able to find out for you or might already have it in their notes.

TMI warning for anyone who is squeamish: I would guess that you had a third degree tear. I had a fourth degree tear which involves tearing the anal sphincter. That is, the muscle of your bottom hole. I was "lucky" because mine only partially tore. I had a forceps delivery due to a dangerous blood pressure spike after induction for pre-eclampsia. If you had a 4th degree tear you would probably have numbness around your bottom which you would notice when pooing and not being sure when you are finished pooing. It took about 4 months before I had proper sensation again there.

If you had a 4th degree tear you should have been seen by a continence nurse to make sure that you had good bladder and bowel control and weren't wetting or soiling yourself. I was also given a physio appointment to check that my vaginal and pelvic strength had returned but cancelled it because I had no issues and recovered very well.

You should find out what type of tearing you had, and why you were so badly bruised. It will be important when considering what type of delivery would be best if/when you are pregnant again, and just for your own peace of mind. Personally, I am strongly considering a C-section when I have another baby because I don't want to risk tearing so badly again and suffering the horrible complications like bladder or bowel incontinence, painful sex or other conditions that I was lucky enough to escape this time. Also, my daughter had a big head, and so does my husband (he was ventouse) so I suspect any future children will also have big heads.

If you still have pain from your scarring, it may need to be redone by an Ob/Gyn. Sometimes the original stitching just isn't right.

I hope this helps, and you are feeling better soon.

#4 Chelly_M

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

I don't know what degree of tearing I had either. I was told I tore up to, but not including my bottom,thankfully, so of course had stitches and was badly bruised. Had ice packs around the clock and physiotherapy with ultrasound to help with bruising whilst in hospital. My problem was caused by a very speedy delivery, which resulted in my birthing dd's head unassisted. Anyway, everything was fine at the 6 week check up, but didn't have sex for probably 3 months, I think. But, it was fine when we finally did. Pregnant again now and this time round, my plan is to get to the hospital much earlier biggrin.gif  Don't know if my chances of tearing again are increased or not, but what will be will be.

#5 LouChoo

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

thanks everyone, now I've read what you have all written and I'm actually quite annoyed- - I didn't get anything when I was discharged, and at my 6 week check (which ended up being 9 becuase OB so booked out) he didn;t even look at anything.  We just had a chat, and he wasn't even the OB that delivered my baby....he ended up being away at my due date so I had another OB from the practice that I met the morning I was induced.
Thanks, I'm going to give them a call.

#6 Carmen02

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

with my 1st i never got told the degree of tear i had, i know it was quite bad and i bruised badly as well as needing icepacks and ice pads for ages. I never found out (was almost 10yrs ago) as the Doctor that did it was another doc that was called in as my Doctor wasnt quailfied to do vaccum/forcep delievery i needed so he stitched me up.  She had a big head! lol With my 2nd I only tore slightly I didnt need stitches at all original.gif and he was my biggest!  and my 3rd was a super fast labour and no tearing what so ever. I thought ill add that as I did have a shocking tear the first time but the 2nd was only slight original.gif

#7 LouChoo

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (Carmen02 @ 14/03/2012, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
with my 1st i never got told the degree of tear i had, i know it was quite bad and i bruised badly as well as needing icepacks and ice pads for ages. I never found out (was almost 10yrs ago) as the Doctor that did it was another doc that was called in as my Doctor wasnt quailfied to do vaccum/forcep delievery i needed so he stitched me up. She had a big head! lol With my 2nd I only tore slightly I didnt need stitches at all original.gif and he was my biggest! and my 3rd was a super fast labour and no tearing what so ever. I thought ill add that as I did have a shocking tear the first time but the 2nd was only slight original.gif

oh, so many ice packs! I know the first is generally the worst, but mine was horrible....not a small head, good to know your subsequent ones were like that, thanks

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

You can have significant bruising even if you don't tear or have an episiotomy so you may have just had a tear and unless there was anything 'different' or worrying about the tear they don't often go into too much detail with you other than ice packs/pain relief etc.
If it had involved your anal sphincter you normally would have been given special warnings about your diet and your bowel actions. If you are still having problems with your perineum you should see your GP, if not then I'd presume all is healed well.

Lots of luck

#9 Lauren_b_

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hi all - I am new here and this is my first post.

I'm sorry to hear that you didnt get told much about your tearing, that's not the greatest service from your OB or hospital.

I had my 1st bubba 2 weeks ago and obtained a 3rd degree tear which resulted in going up to surgery to have my stiches done. Very overwhelming when you have just given birth.

I don't mean to butt in on your query here but I am worried about being intimiate with my husband again after this and was wondering if people wouldnt mind sharing how long after it took you to feel comforable to do so? I am still healing and don't want to do it anytime soon (still a month off the 6 weeks anyway!) but just some advice on this would be greatly appreciated  original.gif

#10 Paddlepop

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

Hi Lauren_b_: congrats on becoming a mum!

For me (see my post earlier in this thread) I had a 4th degree tear. I was very nervous about having sex again and was a bit scared. In the end at 8 weeks (I think) after giving birth we took the plunge and did it to get it over with because I was starting to dread it. I was greatly relieved to find it didn't hurt as much as I had feared. After a few months, very little pain at all, and a few more months and virtually back to normal.

Take it slowly, especially at the "start" IYKWIM, use plenty of lubricant if needed, and be as relaxed at possible. Be prepared to stop at anytime if it hurts, and try again another time. You might need to try different positions if any positions cause you pain. As long as you and husband approach sex as a team and possibly with a bit of sense of humour, you should be fine. Anyway, if your baby is anything like my DD he/she will wake up the moment anything starts to happen! Natural birth control I think!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions that you aren't comfortable asking here.

Hope that helps, and you are healing well.

#11 ~strawberry~

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Check in the front of your blue book, I thought I wasn't given anything when I was discharged with my first but eventually found the discharge papers in the front pocket of DD's blue book. If not, contact the hospital for a copy of your birth notes. You may have to pay a small charge, but it will give you the info you need.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (~strawberry~ @ 26/03/2012, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check in the front of your blue book, I thought I wasn't given anything when I was discharged with my first but eventually found the discharge papers in the front pocket of DD's blue book. If not, contact the hospital for a copy of your birth notes. You may have to pay a small charge, but it will give you the info you need.

Really no need to go to the expense to apply for the hospital noted through FOI, the OP just needs to call her Obstetrician if her discharge notes don't include details of her perineal damage.
He should have it on his records.

#13 GoldenBlack

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Another thing to be aware of is that hospitals do have slightly different definitions between each other for what counts as what degree of tearing - even if you'd think the definitions were fairly clear cut (as I did, initially!).

I had a tear listed as a second degree tear because it didn't tear through the sphincter - just around it both sides and on up continuing - and much deeper internally, intramuscular.

I also had to tell my doctor to look at it at my six week checkup - she wasn't going to.  I thought I had hemorrhoids due to all the large lumps and bumps.  Turned out that was just how severe all the scarring was, and she got a shock because she was expecting a second degree tear to be very different to what was there.

#14 allyire

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

I gave birth to DS1 in the US and was never told what 'degree' of tear I  had either (after reading descriptions I think it was probably 3rd). I had an episiotomy as well so lots of stitches.

Definitely get them to check you to  see that the healing is ok. I had to have the area cauterised a few times as there was too much scar tissue that was causing pain/irritation. It did eventually get back to normal though!

BTW, with DS2 I had no tearing whatsoever and a very quick recovery wink.gif

#15 Mummy Em

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

The way it was explained to me - first degree tear involves the skin of the perinium, second degree tear involves skin and muscle of the perinium/vagina, third degree involves anal sphincter muscle and fourth degree involves all that, plus tearing in the anal canal. Third and fourth degree are usually repaired in theatre under general or epidural anasthetic.

With sex, try not to pressure yourself, use lots of lube, tell your partner to be careful and you will tell him if you need to stop. If you have pain, go to the doctor as they may be able to give hormone vaginal suppository that might help, especially if you are breastfeeding.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.