Name needed soon!
Miranda/Baxter

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 leepback

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Hi my first post and I am guessing I am what you call a DH. Hopefully that means "Dear Husband" and not "Dumb Husband" or anything worse. I am not sure of all the acronyms used so might even make some up. Anyway my DVHPW (dear, very heavily pregnant wife) is due to give birth in a week or so (hopefully even less to avoid any intervention), so are running out of time to select a name. We realise that this name will live with our child for its lifetime and hence we have to tread the line between popular (which we usually avoid in all things) and totally weird. We do not have any idea of the gender as did not want to know until it joins us in the outside world.

Surprisingly we haven't argued much about this topic. The first girls name (and first at all) my DVHPW suggested I immediately said fine that will do. Now this wasn't due to any male disinterest, I just liked it and the reason she chose it. The name, "Miranda" We then feel in love with the not to distant "Matilda" but after selecting it we discovered its current popularity and started seeing it everywhere. Shame because we really like the flexibility it provides in that Tilly is a fantastic (to our way of thinking) little girls name while as a grown up, Matilda works well. Bummer!    

Here is where we currently stand - both our first name choices were due to main characters in movies (feel free to try and guess if you wish).

Miranda Lillian

We know "Lillian" and its related forms are also super popular ATM but it has been used in DVHPW's family and we thought we could shorten the whole name to "Milly" as a cute baby nickname. Is Miranda stale or dated? We have no idea.

OK - Miranda may not be so out there at all but what of our choice if it is a boy?

Baxter Clark

Baxter is a real name even though it is fairly rare. Not a hell of a long way from "Dexter" which has gained popularity due to a certain serial killer (we do like that show) and I'm guessing most people could spell it right off the bat as I cannot think of an alternative other than "Backster" which just doesn't seem right at all. Yes it has an "X" in it but it looks good written and sounds fine to me. Shortened forms would be "Bax" or "Baxy". The "Clark" middle name also emanates from my DVPW's family and since my family has the surname it only seems fair.

We would dearly love some thoughts as we are running out of time.

Thanks for reading

UPDATED RESPONSE TO ALL

Firstly thanks to the many people that took the time out to read my not so short original post and even more thanks to those that then took the effort to then post their opinions and best wishes. ALL were helpful including those few that were negative and we very much appreciate this as we were not willing to discuss this with family, friends or work colleagues.

Your input has firmed up our two choices and while we are delighted Miranda Lillian met with almost universal approval, we were relieved that Baxter Clark didn't receive the howls (the word "howls" may become ironic as you read on) of disapproval we expected.  

Our main inspiration for Miranda was a character in one of our favourite Australian movies. You can see a short clip here. Being avid non-watchers of "Sex and the City", we were totally ignorant of the fact that one of the characters also carries Miranda as a name. Guess there is a downside to every name biggrin.gif

We were surprised that the majority of people either liked or could live with Baxter and very few hated it. Some mentioned it was a pet or more likely a dogs name. We fully expected this as the only use of the name we have seen prior to our current research had been as a dogs name and even then only once and in an obscure film. It was an extremely black comedy/drama from France, about a very naughty bull terrier. The dog and the film were both called "Baxter" (1989) We loved the film (even though it is quite disturbing at times) and I always like the name and since the dog narrates the film and we get an insight into his character I guess I never really thought of him as being a mere animal and thus never associated the name with being just that of an animal. Hard to track down and I've never seen it on Video or DVD but check it out if you get the chance; here is some info if you wish to learn more but like the name itself it won't be to everyones taste. The french actually pronounce it BAX STAIR. Here is a clip I found (sorry no subtitles)

It was surprising and comforting to find that people actually knew human males out there named Baxter. We, like their parents will try and wrest this uncommon name back from the canines. Somebody disliked the "Baker" (as in makes bread) meaning to the name but this actually suits us as breads and pastries are our favourite foods.

You might also like to check out this article I found written by a journalist named "Baxter Holmes" that writes for the LA Times and is know by his colleagues as "the name". I have also just noticed a movie called "The Baxter" (2005) where a Baxter is defined as "the nice, dull guy in a romantic comedy who is dumped at the end of the story for the protagonist". A little negative but since this film only grossed US$181,872 and I'd never seen or heard of it, I;m guessing its influence can be completely ignored. There also seems to be a Canadian TV series where the main character is a teen named Baxter McNab.

Once again many thanks and we now just wait and see when this baby decides to make its way into the world. It needs to hurry up as the doctor will induce on Wednesday.

Cheers
G&M

Edited by leepback, 17 March 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#2 ally0812

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

miranda and baxter are both individual, not too common, and beautiful!!! good luck to DW for birth, congrats to you both

#3 Heylee

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I too, like both names & love the "Milly" nm (nickname). Good luck to you & you're DVHPW.

#4 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Love Miranda Lillian, I think it's gorgeous.

I can't warm to Baxter but that's a personal preference.

Good luck to you and your DVHPW! There is absolutely nothing like watching your child come into the world - all the best with it.

#5 BronR

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

I think Miranda Lillian is a fantastic name.

Even as I write/type Baxter is growing on me. It's not one I've heard before but I think I like it and it fits your criteria.

Good luck with the names and the baby.  biggrin.gif

#6 little lion

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

I love Miranda. Baxter isn't my personal taste but it isn't awful.

Good luck to you and DVHPW.

#7 JaneLane

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

I like Baxter original.gif . Not common at all and it's nice, I have met a Baxter once many years ago and he was a lovely guy.

Miranda is NMS (not my style) but is quite nice.  I prefer it a lot more than Matilda which is of course very popular which would put me off anyway even if I did like the name.

Good luck OP biggrin.gif

#8 *molly*

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

I love the name Miranda and Milly is adorable. It would be top of my list if I could use it (but I have a close family member with a very similar name)
Baxter is not my favourite but I do think it's a great name with character.
Good luck!

#9 Spring Chickadee

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Both are great names! Both are not to popular but not so out there you child will have pain of a name to say every time.

#10 libbylu

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Love the DVHPW  laughing2.gif

I think Miranda Lillian is great.  There are heaps of Lily/Lillys but not so many Lillians so that's fine.  And I have never met a Miranda under the age of 30, but it's a name everyone knows, and can spell, so your on to a winner there.
Baxter is increasing in popularity but is unlikely to make the top 20 list, so I don't think you have to worry.  I have met 3 of them in recent years: my cousin's son, age 2, a boy in my son's prep class, age 5 and a kid in my best friend's son's preschool, age 3, who was only really pointed out to me because my friend knew my cousin's son had the same name and it being uncommon.
Good luck.

#11 ohboy

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

I love Miranda however I dislike Lillian (but understand it's a family name)

Baxter Clark is cool/different without being weird.

Good choices.  Wishing you both the best for birth and beyond.

#12 TinyTeddys

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

Miranda is nice and I love the idea of Milly as a NN!! Love the idea of family connections for MN's too!

Baxter is NMS, to me it's cute for a little boy but I don't think it would suit a man...kinda sounds more like a name you might give a pet.

Goodluck to you and your wife  biggrin.gif

#13 Caseymay

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I like both names. Miranda is nicer than Matilda in my opinion and Milly is a nice nickname. While I would not personally use Baxter I think it is not too common and quite like the nickname 'Bax'.

Good luck!

#14 Ianthe

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

I think they are both excellent choices. Not popular and not weird.

#15 a4anna

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

I love both names. Miranda reminds me instantly of SATC and Baxter Clark is a nice strong name.

Enjoy your little one whatever he/she may end up being original.gif

#16 Bel Rowley

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:22 PM

Miranda Lillian is really gorgeous, Miranda is one of my faves.

I love Clark but not keen on Baxter at all.

#17 missj

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

I love your name choices original.gif
All the best with the birth!

#18 Sonyo

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

My 2 year old daughters name is Miranda and I haven't meet another little Miranda yet, I like that it is not common, timeless, beautiful yet not too weird and it means admiration. The associations with Miranda Kerr & Sex in the City annoyed me a little at first but by the time she grows up I'm guess they will be out of the spot light anyway. We don't really have a nick name for her but sometimes I use Mira for short.

#19 la di dah

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Miranda Lillian is completely gorgeous.

#20 Kailing

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Miranda Lillian is a gorgeous name! Miranda is one of my favourites - classic, beautiful and underused, and most definitely not dated. It would have made our short list except that it clashes terribly with my husband's surname. Please use it!

Matilda is fine, but a little ho hum compared to Miranda.

Baxter is also fine, but I don't feel the same passion about it as Miranda.
Best of luck!

Edited by Kailing, 13 March 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#21 Z-girls rock

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

Miranda Lillian - wub.gif love it. LOVE 'Milly'

Baxter Clark- NMS (not my style - since you dont know all the acronyms yet). I dont mind "Bax' as a but Baxter sounds like a lastname as a first name/ butlers name to me and I dont like that, personally.

You know, each to their own though!

Are you looking for other suggestions?

Jasper

Rafe

Knox

#22 prettypenny

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Miranda is beautiful.

I was considering Baxter for a boys name but couldn't decide if it was awesomely underused or a dog's name. The main thing though that did bother me is that its meaning is baker. Though I'm into the meaning and origins of names.

Anyway I did not use it as I had a girl happy.gif

#23 leepback

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

FROM OP.......

Firstly thanks to the many people that took the time out to read my not so short original post and even more thanks to those that then took the effort to then post their opinions and best wishes. ALL were helpful including those few that were negative and we very much appreciate this as we were not willing to discuss this with family, friends or work colleagues.

Your input has firmed up our two choices and while we are delighted Miranda Lillian met with almost universal approval, we were relieved that Baxter Clark didn't receive the howls (the word "howls" may become ironic as you read on) of disapproval we expected.  

Our main inspiration for Miranda was a character in one of our favourite Australian movies. You can see a short clip here. Being avid non-watchers of "Sex and the City", we were totally ignorant of the fact that one of the characters also carries Miranda as a name. Guess there is a downside to every name biggrin.gif

We were surprised that the majority of people either liked or could live with Baxter and very few hated it. Some mentioned it was a pet or more likely a dogs name. We fully expected this as the only use of the name we have seen prior to our current research had been as a dogs name and even then only once and in an obscure film. It was an extremely black comedy/drama from France, about a very naughty bull terrier. The dog and the film were both called "Baxter" (1989) We loved the film (even though it is quite disturbing at times) and I always like the name and since the dog narrates the film and we get an insight into his character I guess I never really thought of him as being a mere animal and thus never associated the name with being just that of an animal. Hard to track down and I've never seen it on Video or DVD but check it out if you get the chance; here is some info if you wish to learn more but like the name itself it won't be to everyones taste. The french actually pronounce it BAX STAIR. Here is a clip I found (sorry no subtitles)

It was surprising and comforting to find that people actually knew human males out there named Baxter (and even a poster that was going to use it if her DD had been a DS). We, like their parents will try and wrest this uncommon name back from the canines. Somebody disliked the "Baker" (as in makes bread) meaning to the name but this actually suits us as breads and pastries are our favourite foods.

You might also like to check out this article I found written by a journalist named "Baxter Holmes" that writes for the LA Times and is know by his colleagues as "the name". I have also just noticed a movie called "The Baxter" (2005) where a Baxter is defined as "the nice, dull guy in a romantic comedy who is dumped at the end of the story for the protagonist". A little negative but since this film only grossed US$181,872 and I'd never seen or heard of it, I;m guessing its influence can be completely ignored. There also seems to be a Canadian TV series where the main character is a teen named Baxter McNab.

Once again many thanks and we now just wait and see when this baby decides to make its way into the world. It needs to hurry up as the doctor will induce on Wednesday.

Cheers and many thanks
G&M

PS - my DVHPW is hoping for a girl as she just slightly favours Miranda Lillian. Me, I'm happy with either.

Edited by leepback, 17 March 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#24 kerilyntaryn

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Miranda Lillian is lovely

I'm not that keen on Baxter but you've obviously have a lot of good associations with the names

wishing you guys all the best

#25 sarahec

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

I like Miranda. I know 3 baby boys (in Sydney) being called Baxter in the last 6 months. I'm not sure what the ranking is for the name though. As I know 3 I presumed it was popular?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.