Family Car

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ifaith17

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hope I have popped this into the right Forum section - but was wondering if anyone could offer some advice - DH and I are currently at opposing ends of the stick on what is suitable for a family car. We have a 5 month old son and are planning another child in the next couple of years - and maaaaayyyybbbeeeee a 3rd, but we'll see. At the moment we have a 1990 commodore sedan and are looking at getting a car either new or second hand above a 2005 model in the next year.

I come from a family who have always had station wagons - for their space, functionality, etc.

DH comes from a family where he is the eldest of 6 and they are not particularly car people - so they've had 4WD's and a Toyota Hiace bus and now his mum has a subaru - the hatchback wagon style - not sure which model and his dad a 5seater ute.

I'm convinced that we need a wagon (Commodore or VW) or at least an SUV type thing (Ford Territory, Kluger - something like that) for the space, if we go away on a long car trip, kids want friends over - if they're horse crazy like me - dogs too, you get the gist wink.gif

DH thinks that for a family car when we are planning more children, a good size is a Mazda 3/6 or a Holden Cruze.  rant.gif . No space. I can already hear the kids yelling about being squashed, no space for friends, etc... golly, just wait until they're teenagers with long legs...... blink.gif

Can anyone offer some advice on how I can win this battle? Gah! It's driving me nuts!

Thanks!!

#2 Guest_Hoggle_*

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'm with you. When DS was born we had an 04 magna. We upgraded to a commodore wagon (03) when he was 4 months old and it was SO much better. More space and easier to get things in and out of the boot. We have 3 kids now and have just gotten rid of the VY a few weeks ago and got a toyota prado. Its even better again for us. No way would I go back to a sedan.

#3 T2Mum

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Yes, your DH is dreaming. Go the family wagon.

#4 trytrytryagain

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

We have a Ford Territory and I would never go back to a sedan! So much easier with prams and general STUFF you have to take everywhere with you with kids. So much room and so much easier.

#5 ifaith17

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Thanks heaps - glad to know i'm not the only one!! I'll keep working on it!

#6 Cranky Kitten

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

When you go test driving, take the pram and baby seat if possible. Make your DH sit in the back with you and the seat to check the fit.

We bought our Outlander because it would seat 3 adults in the back, with sufficient body space and legroom.

#7 Witchipoo

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

We are expecting our third baby in a few months and have just upgraded from an Astra to a Commodore VZ.

We originally were looking at people movers and although there were plenty of seats there was hardly any boot space.  We then started looking at wagons but because sedans were cheaper and the boot space was very similar in size we decided to go with a sedan.

If you have a pet that will be travelling with you then a wagon would be ideal.  My brother has a Cruze with 3 kids (two not in car seats) and they have no problems.

#8 liveworkplay

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'm actually with your DH. We have 3 kids and have a Mazda 6 sedan. The boot space is huge and the available back seat space (we had 3 in child restraints until recently) is actually wider then our old Magna sedan.

SUV's have very little storage space if the back row of seats are being used (think very hard to fit shopping and a pram in), are less fuel efficient and harder to handle.

I do not see the facination with the huge SUV's if you have only 2 kids. I know I am in the minority in this. I just have to sit in the school car park to see that!

#9 bubblebear

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

I do not see the facination with the huge SUV's if you have only 2 kids. I know I am in the minority in this. I just have to sit in the school car park to see that!

I completely agree! We have a 2005 Ford wagon for three children, plenty of space for them and the boot space is tremendous. I love wagons!

#10 Aribika

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

We only have two chn and won't have any more and we are considering getting a station wagon of some sort for me. I have a commodore sedan atm.  We do have a Rottweiler as well.  My Dh has a 4wd.  I would love something small and more economical but it just really doesn't work.  I need room for sports equipment and boogie boards etc.  I would like extra seats for friends but I don't think we need two 7 seaters.

Good luck convincing your DH.

Lorraine

#11 ifaith17

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Well, true, I do get the SUV thing - that one I was rather hoping it as a middle-ground compromise with him... but he's not quite buying it!

#12 Guest_Hoggle_*

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (liveworkplay @ 11/03/2012, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm actually with your DH. We have 3 kids and have a Mazda 6 sedan. The boot space is huge and the available back seat space (we had 3 in child restraints until recently) is actually wider then our old Magna sedan.

SUV's have very little storage space if the back row of seats are being used (think very hard to fit shopping and a pram in), are less fuel efficient and harder to handle.

I do get your points but just wanted to comment on 2 things. I had a magna and the back seat space has to be the smallest space I have ever seen in a large car, so not a great comparison.

Also, SUV or 4WD does not necessarily equal harder to handle. We have only had our prado a few weeks now but I have commented to DH a lot about how easy it is to turn and how smooth it is to drive. Much nicer and probably even easier for me to park than our commodore wagon.

Also, fuel efficiency so far is comparable to the commodore I had. It is diesel though.

Edited by Hoggle, 11 March 2012 - 10:15 PM.

#13 Onyx

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

I agree with you. We've only got one child so far and have a kluger, the boot is easily filled with his pram, shopping etc.

#14 Gumbette

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

One thing I would like to add re 4wd's, I find our Prado is a pain unless you drive forward into shopping centre spots, as EVERYBODY parks as humanly close to your boot as possible. It doesn't matter how much room I leave, when I come back the person behind me is always jammed up against my back door which opens out. As someone who also 'gets' the 4WD thing, I will make sure the next one has a boot door that lifts like a wagon.

#15 EBeditor

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

We have a diesel station wagon and it's great. Lots of space and brilliant fuel economy.

#16 Guest_Hoggle_*

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Gumbette @ 11/03/2012, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing I would like to add re 4wd's, I find our Prado is a pain unless you drive forward into shopping centre spots, as EVERYBODY parks as humanly close to your boot as possible. It doesn't matter how much room I leave, when I come back the person behind me is always jammed up against my back door which opens out. As someone who also 'gets' the 4WD thing, I will make sure the next one has a boot door that lifts like a wagon.

I even found that a pain in my wagon, and tried not to park like that, particularly if I needed to get the pram out. I like to put the trolley right up to the back of the car anyway to make it easy to put things in, so I never parked where someone could park behind me.

#17 Gumbette

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (Hoggle @ 11/03/2012, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I even found that a pain in my wagon, and tried not to park like that, particularly if I needed to get the pram out. I like to put the trolley right up to the back of the car anyway to make it easy to put things in, so I never parked where someone could park behind me.

Well there goes my bright idea then....towball maybe???

#18 Guest_Hoggle_*

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Gumbette @ 11/03/2012, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well there goes my bright idea then....towball maybe???

They don't give you much more space, I have had towballs on all of my cars. In fact I had someone get so close to me once at the servo they actually hit my towball! And they didn't even notice!

#19 liveworkplay

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hoggle, I was trying to say, in my clumsy way, that the mazda 6 is a smaller looking car then our old Magna )which fitted 3 across the back, just!) yet the usable space is on par, if not more original.gif

Also I am talking sedans, much easier to manouver and park then wagons or SUV's. wink.gif

Also as an aside, safety wise 4wd's and some of the suv's are atrotious. If I had to go a SUV I would be persoanlly looking at the Honda Odyssey

Edited by liveworkplay, 12 March 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#20 #tootired

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

The best thing about is definately the boot space. I don't have a pram anymore, but 3 boys....football bags, cricket sets and bikes. They can take their bikes and scooters anywhere we go.

Having said all that, the car has been great, but now we've got to the stage where we need extra seats. It would be great if DS1 had the option to bring a friend to some things. He now plays teams sports that require some travel and we can't accomodate any extra kids.

I think we should have stepped straight into a 7 or 8 seater when we purchased 3 years ago.
Just something to think about.

Edited by theslave, 18 September 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#21 PrincessPeach

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

DH has an X-trail, we've fitted 2 adults in the back along side a carseat, plus luggage in the boot when we droped BIL, wife & baby at the airport.

As far as leg-room goes though, there is more leg-room for the backseat passengers in my corolla, than in DH's x-trail - my brother is 190cm tall...DH's x-trail though does have more boot space & comfortably tows our jet-ski.

#22 -Moxie-

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

I went the opposite way when Number 3 was due to arrive. Changed from a camry Stationwagon (which I loved but was on its way out mechanically) to a Hyundai i30 wagon. We really love this car and find it has plenty of space for the 5 of us. granted we dont go on road trips and holidays (we cant afford them) but everything we need for a day out can fit in the car.
The new i30 wagon is being released soon and it is apparently longer and bigger than the current model.

You also need to factor in running cost when buying a car. SUV's tend to have expensive tyres, many will say the servicing costs more, etc. Id also look at a diesel option.

#23 AndreeaMarshal

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

VW Touran :-d

#24 battymeep

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (ifaith17 @ 11/03/2012, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DH thinks that for a family car when we are planning more children, a good size is a Mazda 3/6 or a Holden Cruze. rant.gif . No space.

lol my fiance has a cruze. can barely fit a double pram in it let alone anything else.
and he cant but his seat back anymore cause of the car seat.

#25 LittleRB

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

No advice on how to win the battle, but you can't go past a Subaru Forester.

original.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.