AC Grads - Due Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec 2012 - #2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
146 replies to this topic

#51 indigo~

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Kate, all the best for your scan tomorrow. I know the feeling well. I have my first OB appt on Tuesday and I'm doing my usual pre-scan anxiety wind-up, convincing myself it's all over red rover, thinking the worst. I've been having sharp pains in the one location since last night, which isn't helping things.

How is everyone going? Hope you all had a nice weekend.

Please, where can I find myself some willpower? I am eating my body weight in white chocolate at the moment. Every day I say to myself "self, NO CHOCOLATE today" but it doesn't work. I started IVF at a trim size 10, crept up to a size 12 from all the stim cycles etc, and yesterday I had to buy a pair of work trousers in size 14 and desperately need to find some new work tops. Oh dear.

#52 Wishful thinking

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Hi all,

Just a quick post from me, have been meaning to pop in earlier but has been crazy busy so just hanging out til the Easter break.

Lorem, so glad to hear everything went well with your scan and appts  original.gif

Sarah (Kate), good luck for tomorrow. I'm sure everything will be fine and look forward to hearing about it. You haven't really turned me off grapes, just trying not to eat as many.

Indigo, I'm the same. Instead of relaxing the further along I get, the more I am worrying as there is so much more invested. Think it is natural for us IVFer's to feel that something will go wrong as most of us have suffered numerous disappointments on this journey. As for chocolate, I am going to have to get DH to hide it from me as I have single-handedly polished off a large bag of Easter eggs! Good luck for Tuesday too.

Puffsgirl, have you tried the blackmores morning sickness tablets? Hope you feel better soon!

Hoping, might have a look at that fitfor2 program too. Am doing PT once a week but have been too scared to do any running and had a small bleed after a long walk the other day.

Mum2one, my little bean (nicknamed Big M) was really active too. OB said it is a good sign of nice healthy bubb.

Afm, got a bruise the size of an apple on my butt cheek from my prog injection the other night. Was so tired I did a real botch job. Is anyone else still on support? Pessaries or the like? My OB said to keep taking prog and progenova til 12 weeks at which point the placenta should take over. Pretty nervous about just stopping everything in a week's time although could def do without the daily injections. I also wonder about whether higher or lower hormone levels affect baby's development. Does anyone know?

Have a good week everyone.

Wishful.

Edited by Wishful thinking, 01 April 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#53 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hey ladies, I am home alone today with only my dog to accompany me. DH has sent DS off to a holiday program. Boy I am starting to miss him already!

Sarah Kate, I am sure we all identify with you on the feelings part, it is so nerve-wrecking after all that we have gone through, so we are always subjecting ourselves to the rollercoaster ride. I met a friend last night who conceived her 4mth old daughter via IVF after 6 cycles and she told me to just be positive that everything will work out alright. I know it is easy to say but hard to do. DH asked me a few times when I want to let my friends know...I would go let's wait for the 7 week scan, then lets wait for the OB appt, then lets wait for  the NT scan, then lets wait for the baby to arrive before telling the whole world...you can guess it, cos I am so afraid that something will go wrong and I dont want to subject our friends to the ride as well. Waiting for your good news!!!

Indigo, I second what Lorem said, very good piece of advice. Of course we are all so grateful for getting our BFP after such a long journey but that does not mean we are not entitled to feel sick.  It is just the hormones and many changes that are making us feel so many different things. You are very very strong. original.gif OH I feel some sharp pain in my left groin and ovary area this morning too. I think it is nothing to worry about....About the chocolate, I am sorry I cant help with that cos chocolate doesnt attract me haha...me not chocolate person and it hasnt changed since being pregnant. Just wondering if white chocolate contains caffeine? It may not be advisable to take too much then. Your little one could be a chocoholic making mummy eat so much of it. Tounge1.gif

Lorem, we are heading somewhere tropical in Asia. original.gif I have called the  ultrasound clinic and rescheduled my NT scan to 13 weeks. DH and I are pondering about hiring a doppler machine to listen to baby's heartbeat before I start to feel its movements which could be 16 weeks above. I am not sure if I really want to but waiting to see the OB is so hard...if I hear bb's heartbeat every day, it would be so nice too.

Wishful, you are be really tired! I would be so awake if I am giving myself a jab whoaaaaa....Hope the bruise clears up soon. I am on TCM for support but am thinking of quitting it once my first trimester is over but also wonder if it is ok. I think my TCM doctor is agreeable. So far he says baby is strong. Not sure how he gauges that. I think you would be fine once  your placenta is fullly in working order which OB told me is 9 weeks.

How many of you are feeling better regarding MS? Since about 9 weeks I got a bit better and now I am eating better. I also had my first walk yesterday. Hoping to get into the pool soon.

#54 Kate128

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi everyone,

Well.......

WE HAVE A HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it!!! Bubby is one day ahead of itself in terms of siz which OB says is great and probably lessons the chance of m/c from 15% to 10%.......saw a heartbeat and then we heard it...I could have listened to it all day!!  Have a little printout of the little bean. I think it's 1.6cm long?? can't remember...!!!

I cried with relief after the Ob left the room .....and realised I was shaking like a leaf.

Had a BT today for more things, back in 3 weeks to check growth and more BTs, then next after that is the NT scan and then I transfer after that from the Ob's private FS practice to his group Ob delivery practice (different places).

I am completely flaggergasted that there is a little heartbeat inside of me....it just started all by itself.... such a miracle.

Indigo - had a thought re your white chocolate. Can you melt some up, and then mix some fruit and nuts (eg cashews/pistachios/almonds might be nice, with craisins, dried blueberries/strawberries) and cut it into squares - that way you get a bit of chocolate as well as some protein and other nutrients - maybe it will help you feel a bit fuller too.??

Thanks everyone for your supportive messages !!

***in a euphoric daze***!!!!

#55 Lorem ipsum

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Woohoo! Congratulations Sarah!

#56 Frogga78

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hey ladies! Sorry I've been Mia but am only just starting to lift out of the ms daze.  Geez it's just debilitating and I couldn't be bothered doing anything! Work and sleep has been about it but I have been looking in on you all!
Sarah - congrats on the littl eheartbeat! That's great news!
Indigo - I know how you feel. I'm so greatful to be pregnant and am so sure it will be worth it in the end but I'm not enjoying pregnancy so far! My body, my mind - they just don't feel like my own at the moment so am struggling with that!
I have my NT scan tomorrow so hoping that will renew my excitement! Am having twinges and a few pains as well. Am 12 weeks 3 days today.
Have started telling extended family and a few more close friends. Though a couple of ppl at work are eyeing me off - probably cos I'm porking up and not looking pregnant yet!
I hope you're all doing well - Lorem, puffs, mum2one, wishful and anyone else I've missed.

#57 indigo~

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yay! Congratulations Sarah (Kate) on a great scan and seeing the heartbeat! BTW, what should we call you? Sarah or Kate? Or both? Really good idea to melt the choc and coat some fruit and nuts; I wouldn't have thought of that.

Frogga, great to hear from you! I hope all went well with your NT scan today.

M2ODS, when do you go for your holiday? It sounds like a lovely trip away. I'm still getting the nausea on and off all day, and sometimes needing to get up in the middle of the night to eat/drink something. Glad to hear that yours has eased and you're starting to feel stronger.

Wishful, ow those prog injections sound awful. I had my last crinone on Sunday. I weaned off the prog pessaries first, then slowly off the crinone to finish completely by 11w. I'm also weaning off the prednisone; this is my last week on it, hooray. Sorry, I don't have any info on whether it has any impacts on development. I hope not. Given I'm not even taking panadol for headaches, it seems contradictory to take all this extra stuff on blind faith.

Hi to everyone else...hope you're all going well.

AFM: I had my first OB appt today at 11w1d. Got to see bean and it looked like a baby!! Still amazed. You could even see the fingers. Active little bugger too, moving arms and legs around heaps. Heartbeat was good, and I got to hear it. Very cool.

It still doesn't seem real to me though. I know I'm technically pregnant, and have all these symptoms. And I see bean on screen. But it doesn't feel real yet. I still feel like a bit of a fraud.

And what a lovely change it was to be able to leave my knickers on at a Dr's appt!  biggrin.gif

Mum is gagging to know what the sex is. It was the first question she asked me afterwards, and I had to say she'll have to wait till 20w and even then I may not want to find out. I'm taking her along to the NT scan next Thursday, so what's the bet she asks them then!

How are people going with their sleep? I haven't had any sleep in 4 nights and I'm absolutely knackered.

And are people drinking tea or coffee? I haven't had a tea or coffee since embryo transfer and am thinking I might have some weak tea when I hit the 2nd trimester. I miss it.

#58 Hoping4anAddition

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hi all,

Sarah (kate) I just got teary reading your post, especially 'I am completely flaggergasted that there is a little heartbeat inside of me....it just started all by itself.... such a miracle.' That's exactly how I felt when I first saw bubs heart flickering away. I haven't been able to hear it yet though. But knowing bubs is in there, growing well just amazes me.

Like many of you I keep worrying something bad will happen. My ms changes daily and freaks me out. Saturday I was debilitated, sunday I was a little sick in the morning and felt really yuck by midafternoon. Then yesterday I felt fine until lunch time and was worried bubs wasn't doing so well but today I've felt yuck again most of the day so I'm sure bubs is fine.

I've been wondering whether those that conceive without assistance feel this way or if they just take it for granted. My sister told our family at 8 weeks which at the time I thought was nice but said to my Mum I didn't think I'd say anything until after 12 weeks and that was before I even knew I would need assistance. And now I'm here I'm pretty sure I'll wait until my birthday when I'll be 14 weeks. Hopefuly I can hide it when we get together for mother's day. I'm also a little worried about my brother and sister in law, I'll be 12 weeks mother's day and could tell everyone then but they are just beginning artificial insemination so I wouldn't want to ruin their mother's day (they already have one).
I'm so happy to hear about all the positive scans, I dont have my next one until May 2nd, seems so far away! But hearing about everyone else's makes me feel more positive.

Indigo - how did your scan go?

x Hoping

#59 Hoping4anAddition

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

Indigo - Oh Nevermind, I just read your post. I must have been typing as you were.

Congrats on the great scan, I cant wait til bubs loooks like a baby, FS was worried I wouldnt know what I was looking at at 7weeks as it was still a little blob like, but I knew exactly what I was looking at and I was so excited, but I can imagine the baby shape being even more exciting, plus hearing the heartbeat!

I sleep like a log some nights and others I wake up and have trouble getting back to sleep. I have a retroverted uterus so am not even getting up to wee yet which I suppose I should be thankful for but it means my scan remain internal for a while longer.

I have never drank tea or coffee but I love Milo and a pregnant woman at work made me feel bad after offering me her hot chocolate sachet saying she couldn't have it as she was off caffeine. I'm still drinnking it on occasion though.

Hope everyone's well x

#60 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hoping, I have retroverted uterus too but I pee like a tap! My 7 week scan was an internal as it is also internal with my IVF clinic but when I saw my OB last Tues 10 weeks+ he said I could use the external scan. The scan was ok, clear and visible.

Sarah Kate and Indigo,  ddance.gif for the heart beats!!! Congrats!!!

About coffee or tea, i love both but have stopped myself from taking since IVF time cos it also worsen my heart palpitations.

Frogga, how did your NT scan go? I hope you will start feeling better and start enjoying your pregnancy soon.

#61 indigo~

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Another one with a retroverted uterus and am also peeing heaps and have from the beginning...

#62 Wishful thinking

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

Hi all,

I also have a retroverted uterus! Hmmm interesting! I have also been peeing like 20 times a night. I hate getting up but I can only ignore it for so long before I get really busting. Hoping, I am very jealous that you don't have to pee all the time. I have actually had to start collecting the mail or going to the photocopier at work on my way back from the toilet so people don't realise I've been to the bathroom yet again.

Wow, you all are so disciplined. I have still been having coffee, tea and even enjoying the occasional glass of wine unsure.gif   I only have a coffee in the morning so my chocolate consumption is prob more of a worry in terms of caffeine (lol).

Sarah (Kate) and Indigo, great news on your scans  original.gif  I'm nervous about my 12 week scan next week but also excited about seeing him/her again.

M2ODS, my ms is getting worse I think instead of better. Last 2 days have felt miserable with all day ms and even felt sick during the night. Any bad smell sends me off in bouts of dry wretching and I'm not too good in hot stuffy environments either.

Frogga, nice to hear from you. Hope your NT scan went well today. Hi also to Puffs and Lorem  waves.gif

Wishful.

#63 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Frogga – I hope your NT scan went well.

Sarah and Indigo – Great news on your scans.

Wishful – Good luck for your scan next week.

Mum2OneDS – I loved green tea before I was pregnant but have gone off it completely. I have just started drinking weak black tea (as of yesterday) as it is 1 of only 2 things I can tolerate atm.

Hoping – I love seeing the little baby in your ticker, so cute.

Anyone call their baby a he or she yet? Everyone calls our bub a he so I am convinced we are having a boy. I even call it a he.

Hello to everyone else! I hope you are all doing well.

AFM – All hail Zofran! My Dr gave me a prescription for them yesterday and I had instant relief from MS. I am actually eating and drinking now and don’t have to force myself to. It’s expensive but worth every cent. Sadly I have also been put on BP meds as my BP was high. I have had issues with my BP before and hoped it would stay away during my pregnancy, but not to be. I am officially classed as a high risk pregnancy due to the high BP.

We got to see bubs again yesterday. My dates are measuring spot on and he was dancing around (secretly I think he was trying to out worm his mother on the dance floor). We actually saw his little brain and spinal cord which were awesome. I was very worried about the scan as apart from the shocking MS that is the only symptom that has remained with me. I pee like I normally would and my breasts are not as sore as they originally were.

I have my NT scan on the 27th April. Cannot wait to see bubs again.

#64 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Wow Puffs, spinal cord and brain...amazing..must be a really good machine. My OB's not fantastic and the printout, well not much difference if he doesnt give me cos it is so blur....

I am calling my little muffin 'it' still until his/her gender is known. We want to find out asap. Yesterday I met my friend and she said, looking at my tummy, it would be a girl! Haha...hope to find out really soon!

Good that zofran is helping you. I am feeling much better but not back to my normal self, still tired and ill-motivated. I gagged twice this morning to my surprise. I think staying in the house doesnt help. Will go out to the park later to meet my friends and let the kids play.

My boobs, they are sore like  blink.gif I dont like hugs or cuddles at the moment and dont like DH or DS to come too close cos boy, they are really sore. Some preggies dont have sore boobs like my TCM lady at the clinic, and she also hardly have pee issues. She said she doesnt wake up to pee. She has prescribed something in my brew to strengthen my kidney so I can hold my urine better and reduce pee frequency.

Hehe DH hired a doppler and it came yesterday. We had fun listening to baby's heartbeat last evening.

Wishful, you 'naughty' mummy about coffee and tea and wine...the aroma of coffee makes me float but I dont crave drinking it so far.

#65 Lorem ipsum

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi Guys,

OneDS I didn't realise you could hire a doppler. Is it expensive? It would be lovely to hear baby's heartbeat whenever you like

Puffs Yay, I am glad that the drugs are helping you. but sorry to hear that you are high risk becasue of your BP. I am calling my baby 'he' mainly for convenience and I don't really like calling him 'it' seems so impersonal. I have also had about 3 dreams where baby was a boy. I am sure if he is a girl she will forgive me. I am also calling him by his nickname a lot. We call him Frostilicus because he is out of the freezer. Does anyone else have a nn for their bean?

Wishful
I have been having tea also, and the occassional coffee. I have gone off the thought of coffee, so it wasn;t really hard to give it up. I am pretty sure the safe levels are equivalent to 2 espressos a day.

Hoping
I am like you worrying that something will go wrong, but I am a lot more relaxed now that the NT was ok. We haven't told anyone yet, but we will be telling my parents at Easter. DH wanted to wait until 20 weeks to tell everyone else, but we have compromised to 17, belly pending. My bro and SIL announced very early too, which I thought was a bit presumptive of them, but hey each to their own, I guess.

Indigo Congrats on the great scan. and  lol at the keeping your knickers on. In the ready set go girls thread there was one lady who was so into auto pilot that she said that she had to think hard about not taking her knickers off when she went to the dentist. I feel the same about being a fraud. I felt a bit weird when they put the scan thing on my belly and it showed a baby! Hopefully it will seem more real when we can feel some movement. My sleep is still patchy, not helped by the fact that DH generously decided to share his cold with me.

Frogga Good to hear form you. Hope all went well with your NT

Hope everyone has a happy and safe Easter. Just think by the time the next major Christian holiday rolls around (Christmas) we should all have our babes in arms original.gif

#66 Frogga78

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Hi ladies. NT went really well. All normal, healthy and cute original.gif  got some happy snaps so at least it seems a bit more real!

Cheeky thing didn't want it's picture taken.

And to top it off - 5 lovely days off work which I'm hoping imay be able to get my head sorted a bit.

Happy easter ladies - hope you all have a great few days original.gif

#67 indigo~

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

I just lost a big post with personals before hitting the magic button, grrrr to my iPad. It's painful enough typing all that text without the annoyance of losing it at the last minute. Here I go again!

Frogga, yay for your good NT scan! Do you get your result same day or have to wait? Mine is next Thursday and I've been wondering about that.

Puffsgirl, yes zofran is the bomb, isn't it? I've used it once for sea sickness on a cruise and it was fast and very effective. Glad you're getting relief and also that your scan went well.

Lorem, hope you're feeling better soon. A head cold is not a good gift from hubby. Tell him from me, flowers or chocolates would have been much nicer. I have also been sneakily thinking happy thoughts about what next Christmas will be like. Very different to all the previous one's (I hope!)

I had a cup of tea this morning, and it was lovely. Really enjoyed it. I found this info about how to reduce the caffeine in your tea on the web, not sure if it's hooey or not. Here's the link
http://www.maduratea.com.au/tea-benefits/t...-pregnancy.html

Hope you all have a lovely, safe, relaxing Easter break.

#68 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Lorem, DH hired the hi bebe Doppler from sweet beats and it cost abt 50 a month with postage fron NSW to Vic. I don't always get to hear little muffin's BH when i did on my own sometimes I get it sometimes don't. But with DH helping we do get it. We heard it just now. It is not easy so impt is not to stress if cannot get it....takes a bit of patience.

Indigo, the ipad is indeed a pain sometimes. how's your choc craves? I don't have much craving...the only one now probably is fizzy drinks...just when I think my appetite has improved, I do sick at times and not feeling like eating again. I don't feel that up with emotions, feel so tired and listless and out of breath at times ended up lying on the couch again earlier after doing just a wee bit of light gardening with DH. Trying to ignore all the work that are screaming out to me around the house. Where has all my energy gone to? I hope it won't stay like that.

I will see a cardiologist and osteopath for my heart palpitations and sore shoulders coming tues. hope to get some assurance that my body is ok.

Sorry for the downer post.

#69 indigo~

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Sending you a cyber-hug M2ODS. I feel a bit the same way. So many physical symptoms and aches and pains. I haven't felt like a normal fit and healthy human being in more than 18 months. All for a good cause though!  biggrin.gif

Happy Easter all! Today is the day where my normal chocolate consumption is socially accepted. Yay!

#70 Kate128

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hi everyone,

Wishful - I hear you on the getting up to pee during the night. I don't think I'm as bad as you though but I'm finding twice a night pretty annnoying. I wake up and hope it'll go away but of course it doesn't!!! I hope your MS is manageable.

Puffs - So glad you are gettting relief from your awful MS, it must feel great to be able to eat again!! But I'm sorry about your blood pressure. How exciting though about seeing your little bean dancing around biggrin.gif

Mum2One - is your cardiologist/osteopath appt tomorrow? Good luck if so. If it's any consolation, my heart pounds like crazy sometimes just coming up some front stairs of the house. I hope your TCM for the weeing and the kidneys works!! It sounds pretty good to me. My boobs are also sore and DH won't go anwhere near them as he accidentally knocked one while brushing hair off my shoulder and I yelped!!

Lorem - I love your nickname for your little bean, it's perfect!! Did you tell your parents over Easter? How did it go?

Frogga - congrats on your NT scan going well and it's good to hear that it's starting to feel a bit more real for you. (I still feel as though I might be imagining the whole thing sometimes). Hurrah for your 5 days off too, hope you got to relax.

Indigo - hope you enjoyed your chocolate fest yesterday!!!  biggrin.gif Thanks for the tea link too.

AFM, Thanks for all the nice messages after our scan last week. I have had a little MS but not too bad. Have only felt nauseous a few times, and since my acupuncturist has put needles in my wrist to wear all week I 've felt much better. Just generally tired though and feeling slack as DH is doing lots of houseworky things that I just don't have the energy to do at the moment. Have been reading the comments on tea and coffee with interest! I started going off coffee with all the IVF stuff and for the last few months have been having half strengths, and then since THIS little event have gone to decaf. Honestly, I can't tell the difference taste-wise, but then I don't crave it either - I probably only have it now once a week if that. I also found decaf tea (Dilmah) which I drink now - also can't tell the difference (neither did DH when I made it for him accidentally). I do feel like some wine still though and usually pinch a couple of sips from DH's glass if we're at home.

I also still have lots of gas!!! And I can't fit into my jeans. This is a disaster, they are my wardrobe staple. Nowhere near buying maternity jeans yet. I guess it's dresses and tights from now!

Out to lunch today - anyone else get nervous about eating at other people's places? Obviously we're not telling anybody yet but I'm nervous in case there's lots of food I can't eat there.

I have a week and a half til the next scan.....am looking forward to seeing some little leggies and armies. It still does seem incredible and impossible that this is happening!! That's next week, then the week after is more blood tests, then the week after that is the NT scan which I have to book in for.

I just indulged and bought the Moleskine Baby Journal online  biggrin.gif

PS. I can't remember who asked about my name - but I think I'll go with Kate! I'll change my thingy....

Edited by Sarah (Kate), 10 April 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#71 Wishful thinking

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:45 AM

Am in the waiting room for my NT scan and I am sick with nerves! Will pop back later and let you all know how it went.

Wishful.

#72 Frogga78

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hope everything went well today wishful!

#73 Wishful thinking

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Hi all,
I am hugely relieved, all went well today. Unfortunately I didn't get to keep my knickers on for this one as bubbs was being shy and we couldn't get a good view externally. All normal and healthy with low risk of ds. Phew!
Sorry for the 'me' post. Having a bad bout of ms tonight so will come back for personals when I'm not chucking (yukko).
Hope everyone is well.
Wishful.

#74 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

Congratulations Wishful for reaching the next milestone successfully!!! original.gif

#75 indigo~

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Wishful, congratulations on a great scan result!

For those that have had their NT scans, do you get the result same day? Or is it a preiminary result and you have to wait for the actual number (ie 1:300 or whatever).

And did you bother paying extra for any photos/DVD?  Mine is tomorrow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.