Are you tired all the time?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Day-dream_*

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

I am just pooped.

I work 2 days a week and the rest of the time I'm a SAHM looking after my DS who is 17 months. Like a lot of kids that age he is an active kid, always running around looking at new things, keeping me on my toes. I stay fairly active keeping up with him and exercising regularly and I sleep well, usually 8 hours a night. But I feel tired a lot of the time, especially after 2pmish, if I had a chance I think I could go to bed and sleep.

It's nothing as bad as when he was feeding through out the night, I'm not extremely tired like I could fall asleep where I sit, so not bone tired, just feel in need of nanna naps that I can't have, and by the end of the day, around 7pmish, I feel worn.
My mum thinks I might have low iron levels but I'm not so sure as I give blood regularly and my haemoglobin levels are always high - I know that's red cell count not iron levels but surely they would correlate? I think its just normal feelings when you have little ones. Do you agree?
Is anyone else just embracing general tiredness as the norm at this stage?

#2 *sassy*

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

I've been tired since 2006! Currently pg with my third - fit a 2 & 4 yr old, work 3 days a week. Doesn't get any better so get used to it! But a blood test to check iron is not a bad idea.

#3 Guest_Retro_Mumma_*

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Sometimes, especially when DS refuses to have a nap!!

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

Came in through recent topics & just on your iron levels - do get them tested, high iron levels also causes fatigue (and badly).

Just make sure you haven't donated blood recently as this will skew your results.

#5 kpingitquiet

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

Yes, ma'am! Thankfully, my 15mo has her nap between 2 and 4pm. It gives me a much-needed break though, sometimes, the rest does me more harm than good and makes it hard to get anything accomplished in the evening.

#6 ~chiquita~

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

I think its just normal feelings when you have little ones. Do you agree?
Is anyone else just embracing general tiredness as the norm at this stage?

Yes! I am.

By the end of the week I'm exhausted, DS is 16 months and constantly on the go. He sleeps 7pm - 6am so no issues there. I'm grateful that he goes to MIL on a Friday night and DP lets me sleep in on Sunday. I had my iron tested a few weeks ago, the results were normal.

My age doesn't help  ph34r.gif

#7 T2Mum

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Maybe also get your Vitamin D tested.

#8 !momo!

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

Yes indeedy. But I rarely get 8 hrs uninterrupted sleep a night ( DD still wakes every 3-6 hrs) i'm also 30 weeks pregnant so that might be contributing as well. It wouldn't hurt to have a check up, while your there I would get them to also check your thyroid under or overactive thyroid can often be behind tiredness.

#9 bettymm

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

Yes, im usually always tired.  Im breastfeeding my 2 month old and also have a 3 yr old and work a half day a week.  I find that i get so tired i feel that my whole entire body is aching sometimes and i get emotional and snappy.  
Lucky my DH is so understanding i tell him when im really hitting the wall and i go have a couple of hours nap in the afternoon when he gets home from work.. I get up and he has dinner ready.  I find i need this at least once a week to re charge! and feel sooooo much better the next day

I also need to start going to bed earlier.  im a night owl

i have been meaning to go and get my iron levels tested too.  still have the referrel in my bag from my 6 week check up!

#10 :-) Bec

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yes I was tired all the time. I thought it was because of my son who wasn't sleeping well but when it continued as he started sleeping through the night, I found I had very low B12 levels. Since starting supplements, I've had increased energy levels. Get checked out by the GP.

#11 mayahlb

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

You should get checked out by your GP just incase as having kids and being pregnant can throw out levels of various vitamins and put your body out of whack. When I am getting a decent sleep I am not that tired, but then the kids have slept through for 2 weeks now and I am feeling it (especially as mr 3 decided to wake up at 3am and scream the house down as he wanted cartoons yyawn.gif ).

#12 Guest_Day-dream_*

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for all your replies, its nice to know I'm not alone, was thinking about it more yesterday afternoon and I thought, of course I'm tired, I'm lifting him up and down and in and out of the car countless times a day, not to mention all the bags and paraphernalia that goes with it!
I agree it would be wise to get a check up, I'll make an appt with my GP and get my levels tested. We're thinking about trying again this year, I can only begin to imagine how exhausting things will get before they get better! yyawn.gif That being said I'm sure its like the transistion with the first, you just put your head down and get on with it. original.gif

#13 vitaechel

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Yes - tired pretty much 95% of the time tired. Even before I was pregnant it was still about 85% of time tired. DS is not a great sleeper and I am a very light sleeper (who has nightmares). My Vit D used to be low and that was contributing, but even when I got it back to normal I was still very low on energy. DS is also very active.

#14 imamumto3

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

I will have to show this to DH to prove to him that im not the only one who is tired!

I would love a nap some days (right now would be nice!).  DD1 doesnt have a nap anymore, so I cant rest even is DD2 is asleep.  DS will quite often wake during the night for the toilet or if he has had a bad dream & comes and wakes me & DD2 usually needs to be resettled once a night.  I cant remember the last time I slept all night

#15 Kay1

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

If you are suffering from fatigue make sure you get your thyroid checked. Its very common to develop thyroid problems after having babies. Its a very easy blood test.

I have always had a massive energy dip at about 2pm and always try to take a 10 minute power nap. This usually refreshes me enough to keep going for the afternoon. I actually heard an 'expert' on the radio the other day saying this is a great idea for anyone to do as it fits with our natural sleep rhythms. I was quite chuffed LOL. I don't feel so guilty about my little nanna naps any more. blush.gif

#16 Rachiee

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Yep, I'm almost always tired!

I get about 7-8 hours solid sleep a night. DD still wakes on occasion but not always.

I work 4 days a week and study part time so that doesn't help sad.gif

I am anemic and hypothyroid so I know WHY I'm always tired, just wish I had the energy to chase after my 21 mo dd!

#17 mummymarvin

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

I'm another who says get thyroid and iron checked. Hypothyroidism is debilitating...

After battling fatigue, I also sought the help of a nutritionist. I thought I knew all I needed to about diet etc but she helped pressed the "reset" button for me. Eg. a protein based snack at the right time, and feeding yourself properly can make a big difference to energy levels.

I now take fish oil liquid, calcium, iron, thyroid meds and i forget what else, but it has helped enormously to even out my energy levels

#18 Cat Burglar

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi OP, I work full time and have a 13mo who is a poor sleeper, we are renovating a house (some stuff can wait,but other stuff cant), my DH has a stressful job, I have a stressful job (both in the sense of very overworked, not in the sense that we are ER doctors or anything), My MIL is very sick and DH has to study in order to keep his job, Oh and ttc#2 asap due to age = we are pretty tired!
I have been to see the doc a couple of times for checkups and everything was fine but I found I had 'low blood sugar'. I have improved the situation a bit by cutting out all cakes and sweets and I feel a bit better for that, less drained during the day.
I try to exercise every day but it is hard! I hope when DD drops bfing completely (still 1-2 feeds a day) it will be a little easier but Im not going to force it as that will be another battle and Im too tired for that too!
Also I am looking for another job, but not going to move until I am sure the new job will not be just as busy.

Edited by Soccer Mum, 10 March 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#19 stellabella1664

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

I would get checked out. If you are getting 8 hours of sleep a night and still feel knackered then I would want to get that investigated.

I get tired now and then in the day, mainly if I've had a bad nights sleep. Also, if I'm eating crap food, I tend to feel more run down. Is your diet ok?

I'm similiar to you - work 3.5 days, have a 19 month old. I can't believe how alert I feel at the moment compared to a few months ago when DD was still sleeping poorly! Touches wood!

#20 onyerbikeluv

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yes! So tired all the time ... and that was before being pregnant again! DD has woken up at least once every night for the past month and I'm having so much trouble concentrating at work (2 days is all I do too) and I've even started dreaming about sleeping!

I've had levels of everything checked and have had low iron, low globulin (??) and some other thing I can't remember ... but never at the same time and each time they re-test I am fine! All my friends with kids under 2 feel the same. A couple have had thyroid issues.

So my latest theory is that having kids really knocks you around for a good couple of years. So after this one is born I'm hoping to be feeling good again by about 2015!!!

#21 meggs10

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

I've been tired since my DS1 was born in 2007. He's always on the go and never stops talking.

If you are going to get your iron levels checked, then maybe get the doctor to check thyroid levels at the same time. Just to be sure because thyroid problems can also cause tiredness.

#22 Angelina Ballerina

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

Yes. Very tired all the time and so is DH.

I do think it's normal to feel like this when you have young children.
I wish taking a multi vitamin or iron helped.

#23 Guest_Day-dream_*

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. My diet is really good, lots of lean protein and fresh fruit and veggies, not heaps of carbs but some in the morning and always wholegrain, so I know I'm going well on that front. I do drink too much on the weekends, I think I've been using it as a crutch to make me feel better for tiring weeks, so I've cut that right down and its definitely helping my sleep quality (and my wallet).
I have an appt with my GP this week for blood tests, I'll let you know what the results say.

#24 Faradaye

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

After regularly falling asleep on the toilet, and genuinely worrying I was going to fall asleep while driving, I went to the doctor about being so tired.

Blood tests showed low iron and low vitamin d.  Supplements are so easy to take, and have helped immensely.  Thankfully the doctor was understanding and didn't just dismiss me as a whinger!

The blood test also included a thyroid function check, which in my case was normal.

So don't hesitate to make an appointment with your gp.

#25 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yes all the time here too.

My son is 30   months (i came from dissuasion board) but still wakes up once a night but i think my problem is i can't actually get to sleep at night it's well in to early morning before i am remotely tired then i pay for it all day.

Plus ds is go go all day and doesn't nap anymore.

Looking forward to old age when i can nap all day  laughing2.gif.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.