Gym Chat Thread #51

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
138 replies to this topic

#101 insomniac

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I was going to go and run on the treadmill at the gym before swimming but not feeling the best today. I've done 3 Pump classes in 4 days so decided to do some gardening instead!

Off to the pool soon, 33 again today. Wish I was going for a swim but too hard with both kids having lessons at different times and DD wants to play in the water but DS wants to get straight out after his lesson. Plus I need new bathers the ones I have are so stretched it's not funny.

#102 katei

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Another lovely day here. I went for a walk this morning and found the snake pit - a path of soft sand going up and down.  I walkd it once and jogged it once - ouch! I should run tomorrow but have had 3 glasses of bubbly so mite sleep. We are backwards to perth tomorrow.
Kate

#103 **Xena**

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hey guys I have been so slack in here blush.gif and IRL a bit too. Have had 3 weddings, acouple of Hen's and many birthday parties as well as Easter and Christmas over the last few months so it's been a struggle to eat well and exercise frequently!

Nora it sounds to me like you wuld benefit from a proper weights routine where you lift heavy (for your strength) and about 3 sets with 12 reps (last 2 being a struggle). Cardio is still good for your cardiovascular fitness but if you don't want to lose weight then go with weights. Whilst Pump is weights it's more for muscle endurance as the reps are high. To increase your muscle mass you want lower reps and heavier weight.

Well after all my partying I am trying to get back into gear. Have started eating well again and going to the gym twice a day again (instead of twice a week  mellow.gif ). Have also started teaching a couple of classes a week which is fun original.gif

#104 Nora.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hi Xena original.gif My friend says exactly the same thing, I need to lay off the cardio & concentrate on weights to build up a bit. I mainly do cardio for fitness (am currently doing RPM twice a week, hate it though), and Pump twice a week. I'd like to incorporate weights in too, but I don't know when. LOL. I might do a few weights before RPM tomorrow although I was under the impression weights/cardio on the same day are a bit of a no no.

Despite being a tiny 43kg, my chest & shoulders are actually getting quite pronounced now (not large, just looking very toned). I have some abnormal chest muscles (called sternalis muscles), that appeared when I began working out, they're getting bigger and freaking me out because they just look so out of place. Now I'm worried I'll end up too toned. Is that possible?

Did Pump today, it sucked as I had a headache. The instructor made us do push ups on our toes for the shoulder track. I told her I can't and she said she'd compromise and I could do half on my toes, half on my knees. I managed it, probably had awful form though.

RPM tomorrow, does it get better? I want to vomit when I do that class sad.gif

Edited by Nora., 19 April 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#105 **Xena**

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

It's very hard for a woman to get too toned. You'd have to be eating a lot and probably taking steroids to get body builder size original.gif

Weights and cardio on the same day is fine just make sure you do weights first. To lift the optimum you don't want to be tired before you begin original.gif

Your best bet is to do compound moves then you work out a lot of muscles in just a few exercises. Such as:

Chest Press (upper push)
Squat (lower push)
Seated Row (upper pull)
Deadlift (lower pull)

3 sets of 12 reps each original.gif

Hope that helps original.gif Cannot help you with RPM I hate it so don't do it wink.gif

#106 Nora.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Xena. I'm not worried about bulking up so much, just looking too sinewy. I did see one of the instructors there recently and she gave me a plan on what to do in the weights room. She's set it out on a spreadsheet with...

Lower body

Seated leg press
Barbell squats
Leg extension machine

They're the ones I've marked off that I like

Chest/Back

Barbell chest press

Others, I haven't decided what I will do...

Triceps/Biceps

Bicep curl machine
Dumbell bicep curls
Tricep dips
Tricep overhead extensions

Shoulders

Haven't marked any of those off yet.

Abs

I'll just do the abs at home.

I thought it would be better to do weights first as I won't be puffed out. I can't tell you how much I hate RPM, I don't know why I do it. I'm crap at most cardio stuff actually, I feel like I'll never get fit sad.gif

ETA: This is what I mean about sinewy...

Is that just because she has really, really low body fat?

Edited by Nora., 19 April 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#107 **Xena**

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

That would definitely be because she isn't eating enough for the amount she is exercising. That's creepy laughing2.gif

There's definitely plenty of weights you can do. If you are hard-pressed for time though the ones I have listed will work out all your muscles at once as opposed to some weighted moves which only work out one muscle.

If you hate RPM I wouldn't force yourself to do it. Pump is a cardio workout. Does your gym have combat, Attack or Zumba? When I first started my gym instructor training one of our challenges was to try a new class a week. Perhaps you could try a different class every week until you find cardio that you enjoy. All you need is something that gets the heart rate up original.gif

#108 Nora.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

The instructor who did pump today has an amazing body, she is a similar size/shape to me, but with better definition. She's not "hard"...you can see the muscles, but she has that softness about her too. I think women should be soft. I hope that made sense.

Actually, I hadn't really thought about other classes, that's a good point. Our gym does circuit (which I hate), pliates, pedal & punch, 20/20/20 (my friend said you need co-ordination & if I go let her know so she can come & laugh at me making a d*ck of myself), thump, kick butt, fatbuster. I looked in on fatbuster today, that looks really hard.

My kids get my heart rate up, does that count  tongue.gif

I quite like boxing, I think 20/20/20 has a bit of that??? I do box with my husband a couple of times a week. Just 900 punches each.

I do suspect with the likes of Madonna they are exercising way more than I am. I do about 4 x 1 hour a week, plus incidentals at home. I don't eat a great deal, which worries me as I most definitely don't want to end up looking like that.

#109 Golden oldie

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

All the hate for RPM. I'm offended.

LOL.

#110 Nora.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

No, no Jodemeister...RPM hates me.

Does the burn ever stop? As soon as I turn up the resistance, ouchey...

#111 insomniac

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Ahhh jodes I'll love it with you! Did it yesterday and the instructor was calling track 5 the vomit track lol. It's awesome! Did Balance on Tuesday.

Last day of vacation swimming tomorrow whoop. DD has swimming at the usual place tomorrow arvo as well. Kids back to the creche and I can go back to classes in the morning starting with Pump on Saturday biggrin.gif

kate Hope you got my mail? The one I've got here is being held together with duct tape and a hair tie!

Edited by insomniac, 19 April 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#112 katei

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Mail received Insomniac.  I'll try and get there tomorrow or if not definitely Saturday for you.  Should be in the mail Monday.

We only got home 45 mins ago.  Dh has unpacked his suitcase and is lazing on the couch (it is his birthday).  I've got washing on and have ordered fish and chips for dinner.  Tomorrow DD and I are off to Mary Poppins and then we have her party Saturday night.

I need a holiday!!!! And I will be at the gym 6 am tomorrow morning to do weights - I've missed them!

Kate

#113 cazbabslong

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Jodes I love love love RPM!! Its my favourite class, and I follow it up with weights. Perfect way to start the day!!!

#114 Nora.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

My back was sore this morning, only thing I did different was push ups on my toes during Pump yesterday. It's affecting my ability to do stuff around the house (my excuse anyway), but I still did RPM this morning. Actually, didn't hurt during class, probably because I was concentrating on how much I wanted to vomit instead!

The instructor asked me how class was after we'd finished & I said it was hard & asked if it gets easier, she said "no, and it's not meant to". She says if somebody tells her that they enjoyed the class, she thinks she's doing it wrong. Hmmmm. I'd like to keep trying it until my birthday (end of June), to see if it does get easier.

It's just the burn in my legs, does it ever go away?

Edited by Nora., 20 April 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#115 Placebo

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Jodes
I've got a "filming RPM" question for you.  I had to film an RPM trainee today (I filmed her for Combat and Pump) and really didn't know how to film her.  She didn't know either.  I was hoping she would've had some idea from her training, but she didn't.  I don't do RPM, never have, just not into cycle, so it's hard for me to know where to set the camera up for her.  It didn't turn out well as the camera got "bumped" and the mode changed, thereby rendering it useless  sad.gif   So we are filming again next week.  
1)  Where do you set the camera up?  Is it on the 45 degree angle to the stage?
2)  Do you have to see participants?
3)  Do you have to see the Instructors whole body (even the tip of her forehead)?

I was teaching Combat at the same time as the RPM class, so had to set up the camera and trust it would work  sad.gif   I'm confident in filming all other classes, but RPM is a whole other ball-game, and it takes place in the dark  laugh.gif   Any tips for next week would be much appreciated!

Good grief, I've had a week of it!!  Participants using dyna-bands in Combat (a massive no-no), people wearing socks to Pump, with no shoes  ohmy.gif  air-con switched to 26 degrees prior to me teaching Attack, random people walking into the Balance "relaxation/meditation"  and wandering aimlessly around talking loudly,  "flouncing" due to not being allowed to load weights outside collars, "Pump tantrum" due to not getting particular 'spot' in class, someone screaming at me because I started the class on time and she wanted me to start it 5mins later   rolleyes.gif   , and the doozy of it all...I didn't give participants a break after every track of Attack  wacko.gif   And that one was a written complaint to management.  Far out, if I gave everyone a break after every Attack track, the class would go for 90mins!   Seriously people, harden the eff up!  Attack is not some soft, la-la class, it's a "high-intensity, sports-inspired workout".  We don't stop for anyone!  dev (6).gif

Here's hoping next week will be better...

#116 Golden oldie

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Placebo OK, I've checked the Program Manual. Yes, 45 degree angle to the stage, and make sure it fits in the whole body. It says to ensure there are some participants visible in the recording.

As far as being able to see her whole body - yes! And most definitely the tip of her forehead. The way you hold your head is pretty important. Also, she will sit up tall in the lead in to some tracks and do an overhead stretch so that will need to be completely in frame. When you're setting the camera up, get her to do an overhead stretch and ensure you get from the tips of her fingers right down to the bottom part of the pedal stroke (6 o'clock) in (or more if possible).

From memory, I would say that my camera was 4-5 metres from the stage and we got everything in no problem including a few participants - one who was new so it was great as I was able to CRC her, and it all showed up wonderfully on the video original.gif .

She'll need to have the lights on too unfortunately, mine was fully lit and it felt different to the usual low lighting we have.

Do you know if she is filming on the latest release (54) or the previous one? I'd hate to be filming on the new one!

I hope that has helped, but ask more questions if I haven't answered, or if I've managed to confuse you!

Wow, sounds like a hideous week you've had participant wise! Might have to go and google dyna-bands! Never heard of them.

I had to LOL at the having a little break in between tracks in Attack. Next time ask her if she would like a cup of tea as well? Hahaha.

We've got RPM module training at our gym this weekend. Im going along to the masterclass. Should be interesting. Don't know the module instructor, I think he is new.

DS1's birthday tomorrow. We're going on a little excursion to Ikea as he desperately wants a desk for his birthday. I am letting him embrace the nerdiness and going with the flow. If he's lucky I may even treat him to a $1 hot dog.

eta. OMG, just googled dyna bands. Classic. Could do some serious damage with those!

Edited by The Jodemeister, 20 April 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#117 katei

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Insomniac - I'm aiming to go shopping tomorrow morning (didn't get there today) and then hopefully straight to the Post Office - how do you want it posted back?  Registered?  Just in a prepaid bag?  Express bag?  There are too many options for me to decide!

#118 insomniac

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Kate - registered I guess, better safe than sorry when it comes to Aust Post!

Placebo - wow, sounds like an interesting bunch.

Swimming lessons have finished until DS on Monday morning. Have to help DD wash her hair tonight, it's like straw from so much swimming. Back to the gym tomorrow, can not wait.

#119 **Xena**

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

OMG Placebo you poor bugger. That sounds horrendous!! I have been pretty lucky so far with my classes!

My gym has been bought out so we start a new timetable next week. This was the last Friday I can do Combat as next Friday it starts too early (though I can di it other times during the week at least). It was also my first combat since I injured my shoulder. It was amazing fun and we did a couple of my favourite tracks- Mortal Kombat and the Pirate one.

Attack and Pump tomorrow ddance.gif

#120 katei

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

All posted Insomniac - now it's all up to Australia Post (it is registered).

I did weights yesterday and went for a run this morning (and hated every minute of it).  I've also made lemon cake (divine) and party cupcakes for DD's party tonight.  I need to tidy up and set up but that's it!  We are having nuggets and chips for food - nuggets easy to do and chips from the fish and chip shop!  I need a nap too - I'm very tired and grumpy!!!

Time to hang up disco balls and balloons!

Kate

#121 insomniac

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Great, thanks heaps kate. Hope you didn't have any dramas and there was enough $ for the postage.

Went to Pump this morning, really not liking the Lunge song (and Attack and RPM!) and was quite happy when the instructor said she was going to change it soon original.gif

We have a 30th birthday to go to tonight, there is a sausage sizzle and bouncy castle for the kids so should be good.

#122 Placebo

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Katei  Yikes  ohmy.gif  childrens parties!  Good luck with that!

Jodes  Thanks so much for the filming info.  I spoke to trainee today and we went through the list.  The room is too small to get participants into the filming line and the lights don't go above "dim", so you can't see the participants anyway.  She's going to pay to get a Trainer to come and assess her instead.  I think that's probably for the best.  Even if I got my own class covered to film hers, there's still no guarantee that the film will come out clearly.  Hey, who was the Module Instructor today for your masterclass?

Miss 7 got her yellow belt for Brazilian Ju Jitsu today.  So proud of her, she did really well.  She has really taken to it like a duck to water, and the best part is she absolutely loves it.  We all know, if you love something you'll do well in it.

Off to learn the back half of Balance 51 to teach on Monday night.  Never ends...

#123 insomniac

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Kate - hope the party went well.

Placebo - well done to your DD.

It is nearly 9am and everyone is still asleep! Kids were out passed their bedtime and have had a big 2 weeks of holidays so letting them sleep. I'm starving though as soon as I get up it will wake someone!

#124 katei

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Party went well.  The boys were the most enthusiastic dancers while the girls played on the rope swing!  One of the boys' friends stayed the night (DD wanted him at the party and he was the best dancer!) and he was awake at 5am so woke the others - consequently I am feeling very tired and extremely grumpy now!  Dh started folding the washing for me but has gone to wash his car so I hope he finishes the washing.  After commenting that the house never looks so clean as when we got home (when someone else had cleaned it) I'm not rushing to do all the usual things i do.  I'm sure he didn't mean it to be insulting to me (he is generally a lovely man) but I still feel insulted!  I didn't get a chance to go to the gym today either so that makes me grumpy too!

I'm cooking roast beef for dinner - it smells good!

Kate

PS Insomniac - there was even change for you - it was just under $11 to post.  The first shop didn't have any left but they looked it up for me and there were 2 at another shop nearby.  They also said that if it isn't right you can post straight to them.

#125 mards

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Morning Ladies - Im back from my NT adventure!! LOVED DARWIN!! could live there easily  - cept it was SUPER HOT!!

Ate/drank my way through the Ghan!! so have changed my diet - yesterday was day 1 and i did really well - went for a run with my neighbour and tonight after work back into pump for the first time in a year - am changing everything up!! going to try and do as much pump as i can with a bit of cycle thrown in!!

hope you are doing ok... chat soon

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.