Am I too worried? Advice/soothing words sought...
early pregnancy screening

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 2puzzled

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi all,

I am only 5 weeks into my first ever pregnancy. I am 37 y old, and overweight (BMI of >30). I only mention that in case it is relevant to my concerns. In the past week I have had some stabbing, but relatively short pains in my lower abdomen, behind my very old appendix scar. I saw a Dr (first time I had met her) this morning as my first antenatal checkup and I forgot to mention these twinges. I have a bloated feeling and slightly nagging discomfort in my lower right abdomen. It is not completely unusual for me to get discomfort in my old scar site - e.g. if I haven't swum for a while, the first time I swim any distance I get a pulling sensation there. At the moment, when I pull up my pelvic floor muscles I get a stitch like sensation.

As a result, I now have nothing other than ectopic pregnancy in my head, and my dating scan isn't booked for another 2.5 weeks. GP said to come back for blood test results and scan results after that (after 26 Mar).

My questions:
1. Should I see GP after I get blood tests back or wait until scans plus blood tests are available? It seems a long time to wait for confirmation of my pregnancy...
2. Should I pitch up at RPA early pregnancy assessment clinic tomorrow morning to put my (possibly irrational) fear of ectopic pregnancy behind me? What can they see at 5 weeks, 1 day?
3. Am I just over-analysing and should I just sit tight and wait for my planned scan?

I realise this is a forum and not a medical helpline, but would be interested to get opinions. You may have experienced this anxiety as well.

Many thanks,
Natasha

#2 Tikiboo16

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

OP, if there is one thing I learnt in my time being pregnant, it's that you can't be too careful. I got several stern words from my OB for not calling him when I was worried and something needed attention. You sound like you have some anxiety, and before leaping to conclusions, or getting an internet diagnosis from EB.. I would suggest you go to the doctor/hospital and find out what's going on. It may be nothing, buut better to put your mind at ease, and if it is something, you will want it addressed ASAP.

#3 Kay1

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'm on my third pregnancy and have had similar anxieties with each one. Its all part of the journey I'm afraid.

Pulling sensations in early pregnancy (especially the first) are very normal. Google round ligament pain and see if it sounds similar. However, if it will put your mind at ease see your GP. She may be able to explain whether a surgical scar could cause these sensations.

As for a scan at 5 weeks, they'll be able to tell if its in the right place, that's about it.

Good luck and congratulations. original.gif

#4 Spring Chickadee

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

As the pain is off to one side it cant hurt to rule out an ectopic.  It is possible you are just being to anxious and other thinking things (I'm like that) but if it were an ectopic you would want to know asap and would kick yourself for not taking it seriously. Ectopic pregnancies can be very very serious.

I would call you Dr now to discuss the sharp pains to one side and ask if you can get a scan done tomorrow. I *Think* 5 weeks is enough to see where the baby is growing but too early to really make out much else. I'm getting a scan tomorrow and will be 5 weeks exactly.

#5 doubledelight

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

I think for your own peace of mind talk to your Dr.  Better to rule out everything than ignore warning signs and put your health at risk.  To reassure you a little my last pregnancy was at 37 with a high BMI and I have 2 very healthy 6 year olds running around

#6 2puzzled

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thanks all - will sleep on it tonight and if I can't get it out of my mind and am still stressing will get it checked out. Will probably (hopefully) be more a mental health check than anything else original.gif

#7 Future-self

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

I had a heavy feeling and pulling sensations in my abdomen from 3 until 8 weeks.  I understand how nervous you are and honestly I would get an early scan done. It will be able to see where the implantation is and set your mind at easy regarding ectopic. While getting the referral from your GP you can talk about your scar and what that may mean too.

#8 Nobody Cool

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Agree with PPs but wanted to add that the pain on one side could be an ovarian cyst.

Sounds scary but it is not. Google "corpus luteum", which develops from the ovarian follicle that released the egg. It is a normal and common event essential to establishing and maintaining the pregnancy in its early stages.

I had the same ectopic fears as well. There is a lot of activity going on down there in those early stages and plenty to keep us guessing - and waiting - with much apprehension unfortunately.

Hope it all checks out OK for you OP, and congratulations on your pregnancy  original.gif

ETA think there is a Signs and Symptoms of Ectopic Pregnancy sticky thread thread posted in this section somewhere. I remember reading it early on in my pregnancy. Might be worth a read.

Found it http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=590689

Edited by Shady Lane, 07 March 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#9 2puzzled

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

Hi all,

Thought I would update you - after a restless night I went to RPA early pregnancy assessment clinic and had an internal ultrasound and bloodtests. The pregnancy is confirmed but the u/sound couldn't pick up whether it was intrauterine, so it is still uncertain and although everything else looked OK, they are taking a cautious approach. Have to go back Sat morning to have more bloods done to check HCG levels have double, which is apparently a good sign the pregnancy is in the right place, and then another scan in 2 weeks. I was hopeful they could confirm straight away, but they seem cautiously hopeful that all is OK, even though they are not sure what could be causing the abdominal pains.

Thanks for the comments. Will post an update as I hear more.

#10 Wishing2011

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

good luck original.gif

#11 2puzzled

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Many thanks - blood tests still inconclusive. HCG levels raised from 1391 to 1903 - hardly the doubling I was hoping for (only 35% increase). I don't know just how significant that is but was told to try to wait until 19 March for another scan, or to return via emergency if I get any other symptoms of ectopic.  Worrying!

#12 Wishing2011

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

2Puzzled. I'm sorry I can't help but just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and try to stay positive. At least the numbers are still going up.. Are you still getting bad cramping?

#13 2puzzled

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thanks Wishing2011 - appreciated. not bad cramping but a continual sensation of a bad stitch on my lower right side. spoke to clinic again today and asked if more blood tests before next scan would be advised. midwife consultant said to come back in on Thurs morn, so at least not so long to wait.

#14 franno

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

2puzzled. I think that pain on one side can signify EP so if it gets too severe don't wait till Thurs (I have not had an EP).

Fingers crossed for you

#15 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Thinking of you today, OP. bbighug.gif

#16 2puzzled

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Hi all, another scan today. Good news it is confirmed that it is not an ectopic pregnancy. The scan showed my gestational sac has increased in size and there is a yolk developing, but still no sign of embryo. This could mean either is it still too early and my dates are out by a week and a bit (I have a 32 day cycle so harder to tell when I ovulated), or perhaps the embryo isn't going to develop and a miscarriage is pending. I didn't bother with another HCG level test because as long as it is not ectopic, then there is nothing I could do with the HCG results except worry about it some more if the levels were low. It will be what it will be.  mellow.gif

I am very pleased it is not an EP - let the rest be whatever it will be.  I have another scan in 2 weeks in the hope to see an embryo in that GS!!

Thanks for the well wishes! Will let you know in a couple of weeks whether a bean is installed as hoped... grin.gif

#17 Tabbus McCattus

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

It's fantastic news that they've confirmed it's not ectopic. That must be a huge weight off your mind.

#18 2puzzled

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Sure is!

#19 Wishing2011

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

oh good luck. My levels havent doubled either.. I've just had another HCG test although waiting to get the results is doing my head in as I'm worried. But like you said whatever will be will be.
Fingers crossed our levels are on their way up and everything is fine. its just a bit slow off the mark grin.gif

#20 2puzzled

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

so hard to wait - I am keen to have 29 March roll along so I can get that next scan. I couldn't bear the HCG test again because I knew I would still be told to come back for a scan, so just hanging in there till then. are you getting an early scan done?

#21 Wishing2011

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

I had an early scan last friday as the hospital was worried it was eptopic. We saw the baby and its little heart was beating.. It was a little low though...
My next scan is 23rd March. Only 2 more sleeps.. but with everything else happening I'm not too hopeful. My GP wants me to get a blood test too but the midwife told me not to worry about getting the HCG levels as it will only stress me out if it isnt what I am expecting and it may not be a cause for concern anyway.

#22 2puzzled

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

Hi Wishing - sounds as though we are in the same boat, although I am yet to see embryo/heartbeat - just the sac at my past scan. As I mentioned before, I was also told and I agree not to do more blood tests. Nothing can be done except to wait, so no point fretting over the HCG count if it isn't conclusive. Good luck for 23rd. I have one more full week - argh! Hope all is well for you tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.