April DIG weekly chat commencing 05 March

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 readyandraring

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hi I thought I would kick it off, I know there is a lot of chat going on in the FB group but i still like popping on here.

I was trying to think what questions we have not already had but here is some that DH and I have been discussing lately:

Are you going to call anyone to let them know you are in labour or just wait to announce it?

Are you going to pull down your Facebook wall so no-one can announce it for you?

Anyone else planning on popping over a bottle of their favorite wine/beer/spirit when you get home and having a sneaky glass?

here are my answers

1) We are unsure about this as we are in Singapore and away from everyone, we don't want to make everyone anxious waiting for news, but maybe they may feel even more distant if they just get the call bub has arrived. When I talk about everyone I just mean parents and siblings.

2) I am only because it is so hard to get the notice to everyone and I have seen so many people upset about finding out on Facebook (including myself)

3) My sister brought over my favorite chardonnay in January so we will pop that in the fridge and when we come home have half a glass. My sister is going to get a bottle and Skype us to share the toast!

#2 Guest_chocmudcake_*

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

Hi Ladies,
Thanks for starting the thread R&R original.gif

Are you going to call anyone to let them know you are in labour or just wait to announce it?

My mum and dad will know as they are looking after DD for us, and if DH is at work, his boss will know as he will need to say why he is leaving for the day original.gif
Are you going to pull down your Facebook wall so no-one can announce it for you?

Already done it. I've been having contractions for a few days, they are on and off though. When I am having them they are lasting for about 3 hours at about 5 mins apart. So changed my "friends able to post" setting on Friday night.
Anyone else planning on popping over a bottle of their favorite wine/beer/spirit when you get home and having a sneaky glass?
I cant wait for some Tia Maria. Won't be sneaky though, I have no intention to breastfeed. The only reason I feel guilty is I worry i'd sleep through bub crying. I was dying for a drink after I had DD and it took 6 months before I felt confident. But DH has said he is more then happy to let me have a couple of drinks one night and he will attend to the baby. Although we will share night feeds anyway, he has still said he will do all feeds one night so I feel more comfortable to have a drink.

AFM:Had my last ultrasound yesterday morning, bub is sitting very very low, sonographer had trouble trying to measure the head cause it is so low. In the end the measurement was 31.5cm  unsure.gif   DD was only 32cm when born. Hopefully it is out a little cause she had trouble getting it. Other then that, bub has had a bit of a growth spurt and went from the 20th centile to the 30th so its looking better. A nice amount of fat and all fluid levels are great. Only thing the kidney issue hasn''t resolved yet. The sonographer said they have to report if the dilation of the kidney is greater than 4mm, one kidney is spot on 4mm and the other is 4.5mm, so it is very minimal and bub will just need an ultrasound after birth to see how it is all going.

Then the dreaded High risk clinic, I had the dr that has NO idea. She asked me about my high blood pressure issues, argh I've never had high blood pressure, so she then asked me what my card said. It was hyperemesis. She had to ask what it was and why I was seeing the high risk dr's. I asked her what to expect if I was to go into labour now, as I was having regular contractions 5mins apart friday and saturday night and she told me bub would be premmie. Umm I know that, so asked again what would happen in regard to NICU and she said I need to get to full term, being 37 weeks. Again I know that, but if bub comes early I cant just close my legs and say, oh not today baby. So she never actually answered my question and told me to wait until 37 weeks.

Ok sorry for the vent/whinge, but this particular dr really irritates me with her lack of knowledge. Its the 2nd time I have seen her and felt the same way when I left.

Hope everyone else is well original.gif

#3 CarlieB

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for starting the thread R&R - the activity on here certainly has died down recently, I guess because the FB activity has increased!

We may call DP's mother, as she is interstate so will need to book flights etc to come down. But we won't call until we definitely know it's all happening as we certainly don't want her to arrive before the birth!

Wow, I hadn't even thought about this! I'll be speaking to my family straight after the birth and will send a message to my close friends, and after that I don't mind it being on FB. Knowing DP, he'll probably put it up there before anyone else gets a chance anyway!

That sounds good, but I guess I'll just have to see how I feel! Lately wine hasn't really been appealing to me, probably because I know I have to stop at 1! But if DP and I get some time alone it might be nice for us to sit out the front with a glass to celebrate!

CMC, it sounds like it's all a bit of a mess with you at the moment, you poor thing. Like you really want incompetent doctors at this time! Hang in there, not long to go and you won't have to deal with them any more. I just hope bubs stays put at least until you get to 37 weeks!

AFM, things are going along just fine at the moment. I'm sick of being tired, and I'm starting to get sick of being fat and having such a limited wardrobe, but the last couple of nights I've slept really well, which has been great. Probably getting 9 straight hours. DP and I have organised a last minute weekend away weekend after this so that will be really nice and relaxing. Only stress is that I have a whole heap of work to do for my thesis and I'm just incapable of thinking of an evening, which makes it really hard. Also realised I'll have a 5000 word literature review due 6 weeks after the baby's born so wondering how I'm going to manage that as I'd hoped I'd be able to have a break around that time. Just counting down the days until I finish work (less than 3 weeks!) so I can get stuck into it while I still have the time!

#4 Little Duck

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

I hear you CarlieB on the problem with literature reviews being due, I'm in the same boat. I'm meant to be producing all kinds of wonderful written work before I have the baby but I am so insanely tired I'm totally hopeless. I just got up from a 2.5 hour "nap" (more like a deep, deep sleep) and have 2 hours to do some work before I need to look after my DS again. Evenings I can manage to do simple research tasks but definitely no writing. Useless!

I didn't when I had DS which was just as well as I had about 4 days of pre-labour (much like you CMC with contractions getting up to 5 mins apart for several hours but then they'd just stop cold). This time I have to tell my mum though as she'll be looking after DS but that will be about it. I don't want the extra stress of people texting my DH or anything.

Good plan, yes I will because it will take me a couple of days to announce.

I think this is the only "birth" preparation my DH has done so far - planning the champagne for after! We had some very expensive champagne when DS was born (that we'd been given for our wedding) and he wants to be "even handed"! I think a small, well timed glass of bubbles i.e. right after a feed, won't hurt.

CMC your troubles with the high risk clinic are no good. I'd be a bit tempted to go into stroppy mama mode and demand to see someone more senior if you get her again. Tell her that you don't have a tummy telephone to give the baby a buzz and ask it to just hang on until 37 weeks rolleyes.gif Even a junior registrar should know what hyperemesis is and being unable to give advice on what to do about premature labour is just hopeless. They should be telling you when you should come in and what they'll do to try and stop the labour/help the baby, not telling you to wait until 37 weeks!! Good luck with them. Hopefully baby will have just heard her advice and will hang on until the magic date!

#5 dizzy-anne

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hi ladies!  Thanks for the questions ready!

I will call my Mum.  I'm only planning on having DH at the hospital with me but just in case I start wanting my Mum, she will be on standby so I will let her know.  She will probably let my sisters know but that will be all.

Good idea!  I really would like to be the first one (well, me and DH) to put up a post, so I think I will do that.

Absolutely!  I want a bottle of strawberry champage and a bottle of red wine ready to go - we'll be taking it to the hospital.  I do plan on breastfeeding so it'll only be one small glass after a feed but I am sure looking forward to it!  Our midwife even told us to buy the small bottles as they fit better in the fridge in your hospital room!

I bought a whole heap of MCNs in the itti bitti sale a few days ago and they have arrived already - very cute!!!

#6 Aimee_87

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

Hi girls,

This is our first so we wont be telling anyone when I go into labour. I don't want to announce to anyone until baby is here and we have had a little bonding time. Although I have told DP that if he needs support (e.g emergency CS and he's not coping well) that he can call his mum or mine to come to hospital. We will then announce to immediate family by phone, friends and wider family by text, and then probably to the world at large by FB.

I don't think I will do this, so long as DP and I have had our time with baby and family has been told, I'm happy for other people to know. We can trust close family not to spill on FB and will probably get DP to announce fairly soon after we call family.

Definitely! We have a nice bottle of red waiting for after the birth and will be getting some nice soft cheese to go with it to celebrate. I too will be BF (hopefully!) so will have a small glass after breastfeeding - no limits on the cheese though happy.gif

Mmmm... Dizzy I do love a good strawberry champers too... may have to get some of that ready.

CMC sorry to hear about the doctor. I have been going through the midwife clinic, but had to see one of the doctors early on. I wont go into the details, but she had me in tears of frustration (literally) at her level of incompetency at simple tasks. I feel so much better looked after by the midwives. Her stuff ups on my file were still having repurcussions weeks later... so frustrating and disconcerting when you are trusting them with the wellbeing of your baby (and you!). Hope everything goes well anyway!

#7 dizzy-anne

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Aimee - great to find another strawberry champers lover!  Mmmmm nom nom nom

#8 dizzy-anne

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

Wow, sorry girls but I just had a moment...

Saw the title of this thread in View new posts - week beginning march 5

Oh my goodness!!!!!!  We are due next month!!!!!!

Edited by dizzy-anne, 06 March 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#9 Working_Mummy

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

Only whoever is looking after DS, unless he is at Kindy then it will only be if DH can't make it back to pick him up on time.  
We will be calling my mum first to look after DS if Kindy is not available and for any reason she can't make it she will know and DH parents have already taken 6 weeks off (Yes 6 weeks) to ensure they will be available.

Once bub arrives our parents will get phone calls from DH and from that are allowed to tell certain people, as we want to be the first to tell others.
Unfortunately DH parents 'announced' at a family wedding we couldn't make it to that we were expecting after telling them we didn't want anyone to know at that stage so we have told them due to the trust issues we have no option but to limit what we tell them - I think its sinking in.  This may sound harsh considering they have taken 6 weeks off to help us, but really it is not something we want, we really want to be a family of 4 for a while and may actually take off for a few days down the coast etc if we cannot get this at our own house.
(These are the parents who took DS overnight to be dropped back by 9am next day for an event starting at 10am, however wouldn't answer phones or return him until after lunch - at which point DS was referring to Grandad as Dad - Reason being Grandad that he had been saying for a year was too much of a struggle for DS and they wanted us to enjoy some alone time...agh)
Sorry for the mini vent.

Yes, pulled this down when we found out DH family had already announced our pregnancy - We did not want it getting onto my family at that stage - especially through FB as we were dealing with 3 sudden deaths and due date that is a significant date birthday/anniversary of 2 of these people. Plus we hadn't reached that magic mark.

This i haven't considered but I have been feeling like a vodka & OJ, i have a little shopping list for DH to get once we are back home/whilst I'm in hospital so i might have to add some Good Quality Juice it on there.

#10 Guest_chocmudcake_*

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Thank you all for your support regarding the high risk clinic original.gif I am at the point that I want to make a complaint about this particular dr. If I end up with her again on Monday and she is still useless, I think I will look into it.

Yep Dizzy, it is going so fast for all of us. I have 4 weeks today original.gif Under the 30 day mark now  ddance.gif

Amiee, I wanted to go through the midwife clinic, but being high risk I didnt have a choice in the matter sad.gif Sorry you had a bad experience in the beginning too.

#11 Guest_chocmudcake_*

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

Geez, we are very quiet in here at the moment. Kinda feel like im missing out not being in the facebook group, but dont want to risk that anyone is "mutual friends with" or even worse one of my inlaws. The anonymity in here is good but no one is around at the moment. Hope everyone is well. original.gif

#12 Becwb

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

Hi CMC ~ Definitely a lot more happening in the FB group. Heaps of Bump pics, coming home outfits, ultrasounds pics! So cute..
If you do want to join let me know. You don't have to be added as 'friend', I can just add you to the group. It's a secret group so no one (apart from us in the group) will know.

Hope your well xx

#13 Guest_chocmudcake_*

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

Thanks Bec, but im worried people in the group could be the inlaws. We dont have contact with them and dont want them knowing im pregnant. I would hate to have gotten this far, join the group and SIL is a member. (We wouldnt know if they were pregnant either.)

Hope you are well too original.gif

#14 CalC

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi Ladies

I would like to join the Facebook group but can't message anyone. Can someone message me or do I need to do something first? Very confused about the whole thing.

Work is throwing me a baby shower so just some drinks and nibbles on the 23rd of March. Family Baby Shower on the 25 and last day of work on the 30th. 6 weeks till baby is due.

Starting to feel quite over it. Heartburn is getting worse, sleeping is getting harder and peeing is getting more frequent.

Not 100% sure yet. Thinking of calling my mum as she will be back up if DH thinks he needs a break or we need something delivered to the hospital depending on how long labour goes for.

Not pulling down Facebook. I will ask that people not post on Facebook until I do or maybe my sister. My sister said it was my job as aunty to annouce it on Facebook for them.

I am not much of a drinker and really haven't missed not drinking. I know DH will be 'wetting the babies head'. We purchased a Johnny Walker Gold Label duty free when we went on honeymoon. We purchased it with the purpose that it would be opened when we have our first child. Has aged another 3 years since its purchase.

#15 Becwb

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Have PM'd you Calc

original.gif

#16 Becwb

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

We will have to call MIL because she is looking after DS. Won't be calling anyone else.

I don't think i will.... Even if someone does post on my wall about it, i don't really mind.

oooooo yea! I can't wait! Brown brothers here i come mmmmm

CMC Itotally understand. You just never know!!

#17 butterfly75

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

Just my mum - as she will be cat-sitting

I don't think anyone would announce it before me. I will be calling or texting all the important people straight away anyway.

There won't be anything sneaky about it!  wink.gif

#18 Loue

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hey CMC, create another FB a/c in another name & join us. :-)

I'm almost always on my phone & I find FB easier these days for that reason.

#19 Becwb

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Loue @ 09/03/2012, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey CMC, create another FB a/c in another name & join us. :-)

I'm almost always on my phone & I find FB easier these days for that reason.

Good point! Working mummy is still working mummy original.gif

#20 Hello_Kitty

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hi Ladies!  waves.gif

I've been a bit pre-occupied lately, haven't posted in here for a bit! The FB group is great CMC, I can understand your apprehension - I was the same, but as Bec said it is a secret group & I find it great original.gif

Answers!

Are you going to call anyone to let them know you are in labour or just wait to announce it? - only my mum/family (immediate) the rest can wait!

Are you going to pull down your Facebook wall so no-one can announce it for you? - I didn't even think of this, great idea! Will be doing it closer to due date

Anyone else planning on popping over a bottle of their favorite wine/beer/spirit when you get home and having a sneaky glass? - I am not a drinker at all, but once in a while I fancy a nice glass of bubbles biggrin.gif I will wait til that feeling comes around again & seize the moment laughing2.gif

Hope everyone is keeping well, we're on the home straight!! Yippeeee!

Take care xx

#21 bubblynutter

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hello ladies, long time no chat!

I will be calling my mum straight away - she is DH's relief if required and lives 3hrs away. Also a good friend from work, depending on the time of day/night. Everyone else can bloody well wait!

I've already requested that my mothers and SIL don't go announcing my labour or birth, as we would like to post the announcement ourselves. They are the only people that would rush to put something on Facebook without express permission.

Definitely nothing sneaky about this one! And I doubt it will wait till we get home!

AFM: we had an interesting day yesterday - irregular contractions and pains all day, and near-constant burrowing towards the light from Bubs. Actually started to wonder if it might be the day! Hospital bags are now in the car, and towels strategically placed around the house and a couple in the car for good measure. I just have a feeling it won't be much longer for me. But we'll see - April 12 is still a long way off!!

Hope everyone is coping OK with the last month discomforts!!

#22 Loue

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hi girls, long time no chat for me too!  

WOW Bubbly - serious stuff, bags in the car!  Thinking of you.

Since April Baby #1 arrived I have put a waterproof cover under me on our bed, and towels beside bed.  I have (dog) towels in the car, they'll do if I need them!  

Busy finishing up at work, very envious of those of you who have finished but can't complain as only 4 days left YAY!!

We will let DH's brother & his wife know as they will look after DS depending on what time of day it is.  If they are both working, then we'll have to wing it, DH & DS may pace the halls of the hospital or he may drop me off and come home (only 6 min drive to hosp), hoping my student MW can be there as support.  

I will probably text my sisters in Sydney (although they may be in Melb! Planning on visiting regardless of baby arrival for a week after Easter).  No doubt they will be feeling pains for me and will 'know' anyway.  Amazingly, with DS they didn't even know I was pregnant and they were on a houseboat holiday together with their families they day I had him, both experiencing terrible period like pain & back pain.  Not until DS was 3 months old did they know I had him and they realised he was born that day they both felt so ordinary.  Nothing short of amazing as far as I'm concerned.  BTW we are all very close now!

Despite being active with our DIG on FB, I don't use FB generally so not an issue.

DH & I not drinkers anymore but I think I will be keen for a carrot juice (sad but true).  I have a nice bottle on sparkly in the fridge for visitors / family to celebrate.

AFM just feeling bursts of energy & waves of tiredness. Just got to push through these few days of work then can get my head into baby space properly. Lots to do, moving furniture mainly and reorganising DS's room and ours a bit. Washing, sorting clothes, final list of last minute stuff for hospital bag.

Take care everyone!

#23 erinmac

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hi ALl,

Cant believe how fast time is going now! Its all systems go!

Though that being said I am fully expecting to go over.

I have been as sick as a dog with a damn cold the past week, which is really annoying me as it adds to the lack of sleep, and being crabby! Hopefully it will go soon....

WE want to wait to announce it. I dont want people coming to the hospital wanting to see bubs straight away - I want some time with our little family first.

Im not going to pull it down, but everyone I will tell via phone knows not to put it up there until I have first.

Sure am! Looking forward to a glass of wine original.gif

#24 teemoodesign

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

hi everyone. we got back last night from our last trip to perth before having the baby. what a relief to be home now. must be organised and sort out the hospital bag. thats my aim for this week i guess. its not ready whatsoever.

I do have a planned c/s on the 30/03 but am due a week later so who knows what could happen in that time! MIL will be here looking after DS1 when we go in for the c/s so will let her know once baby has come and Ill get DH to call our dads and my mum too (they will all be up in Perth). Just so they know he is here. Will wait till Im back in my room before calling the rest of the family I think and updating the world.

Nope, my closest friends know he is coming 30/03 if not earlier so Ill sms them all first. Then put it on facebook or get DH to do it. No big deal.

We arent much of drinkers and I have had an occasional glass over the past couple of months (special occasions - dinner out, wedding anniversary etc).

#25 MusicGal34

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hi All,

I haven't been on this past week, decided after finishing up work to give myself a week off using a computer too!  So back on board now.

Probably just DP's parents and my second support person.  There's not really anyone I want to call other than that.  Everyone else can find out through e-mail, text or Facebook.

No, I doubt anyone would do that.

Haha no, I'm actually saving a non-sneaky one for mother's day but that'll be about it.  I've actually enjoyed not drinking for the last 8 months and I'm not sure I'm really going to start again once the baby is born original.gif  I'm more looking forward to being active again and going for walks with bubs without the pain of SPD slowing me down!  I really miss being fit and active...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Weirdest pregnancy products

From pee stick keepers to stylish sick bags, there are some very strange inventions out there for pregnant women.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.