extreme couponing.
has anyone seen this ?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 For Fox Sake

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

If you haven't seen this i highly recommend that you GET. ON. IT. it's mind blowing.

I have d/loaded season 1 and cannot look away.

I can't help but wonder why we don't get such sweet deals ??

#2 mrs_bubbles

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

I agree!

I was at my parents the other day and flicked through and stumbled across this. Was a back to back episode, thank god! I am.....ADDICTED!!!!

It's like a crazy extreme sport.

Seriously wish we could do that here in Australia!!!!

Some of the ladies get all their groceries for FREE! Although not sure what that one lady would do with 93 bags of croutons lol

#3 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

Love it. Cant wait for tonight's!! Its unbelievable at the amount of money they save although how you could possibly eat 100 boxes of cereal before the used by date I have no idea.

Wish we had coupons here in Aus. I think I would have a tonne of fun.

And the stuff they make money on.. So therefore have more to spend.

Edited by kriattica, 05 March 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#4 christmasiscoming

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

OMG  I'm so glad I found this thread - my mum actually put me on to this show a week or two ago and I am hooked !!  

I agree - it is totally like an extreme sport  biggrin.gif

Imagine the fridge / freezer space these people must have also  oomg.gif

My favourite is the lady who bought cat food - but doesn't have a cat.
And the lady who had the can storage system that rolled them back and forth in order to keep them in date order so nothing expires.  

I guess the money they save on groceries affords them the elaborate storage systems !

#5 For Fox Sake

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

Has anyone else noticed that all the 'savings' are for sugary junk food/drinks or cleaning/bath products ? I find 100's of free vitamin water & packets of ramen noodles very very disturbing. I am however, very very jealous of all the free 'tide' laundry liquid. I heart tide.

93 bags of croutons will make a sh*te load of caesar salad !

#6 Chocolate Addict

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

oooohh now I have to watch this. I had heard about it but didn't realise it was on here. original.gif

#7 ~*Marti*~

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

I have this series linked, but haven't yet watched it!! Am totally going to start now!

#8 imamumto3

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

i wish we got coupons!

although as with pps i dont know how they get through everything they buy.

#9 sahmmum

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

I Just got my foxtel cut off bugger I would of loves this show. Maybe I can watch it online.

Why dont we have coupons I would have a field day with it.

#10 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

I saw one episode a while back, and the guy gave pretty much all of it away to charity. I think they must give most of it away.

#11 Chocolate Addict

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

WOW!!! How on earth can the shops be making any money?? That is just crazy.

To be honest I would be embaressed to go to the supermarket and hand over 300 coupons.

#12 ajo

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hi does anyone have the link so I can download the show thanks original.gif

#13 Anti-Socialite

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

I love it, if couponing was as easy in Australia as it is over there I would be a master at it! I'm watching it here by the way. original.gif

#14 Ninja Lemur

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

I saw this thread and watched it last night.  I couldn't get over the amount of time they put into it.  The twins said they put in 20 hours a week.  That's a part-time job!

There seemed to be a psychology of fear and scarity.

Couponing would be my biggest nightmare.  

#15 scooty

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

Thanks to this show I have started cutting coupons outta the local paper. This week I've got 8 rolls of free toilet paper, 2 x 1/2 price Cheesecake Shop cakes and a free loaf of bread. Damn I'd be great at this if we had extreme couponing here at our shops!....I'm on the hunt for more coupons now MWAHAHAHA ph34r.gif

ETA: for spelling!

Edited by scooty, 13 April 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#16 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:23 AM

I'm so glad my computer fixed. The day i was told to watch it, the computer crashed. Was not impressed.

can't wait to see it!

#17 papilio

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

I've seen a few episodes.  It's equal parts disturbing and fascinating.

#18 lovemybabies86

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

love this show original.gif but my DF said if coupons ever became big over here i wouldnt be doing it cause he wouldnt be caught dead with me handing over that many coupons

#19 Guest_tigerdog_*

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

although as with pps i dont know how they get through everything they buy.

I agree, don't they say that it isn't a bargain unless it's something you really needed anyway?

#20 Three Of Hearts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (christmasiscoming @ 05/03/2012, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My favourite is the lady who bought cat food - but doesn't have a cat.
And the lady who had the can storage system that rolled them back and forth in order to keep them in date order so nothing expires.

My favourite was the lady that got all the nappies and baby products.  She didn't have kids, or a partner, but said "they'd come in handy if she did one day" LOL!!

QUOTE (Chocolate Addict @ 06/03/2012, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW!!! How on earth can the shops be making any money?? That is just crazy.

To be honest I would be embarrassed to go to the supermarket and hand over 300 coupons.

There is no way I could do it either!  It's a pride thing.  If I can afford my groceries I'm not about to look like I can't! IYKWIM!!

I am fascinated by this show, but also horrified.  My family owns a large supermarket, and my mum and I watch this show together!  The thing that totally horrifies us (apart from the amount of money that the supermarkets/manufacturers lose by doing the coupons) is the time the staff waste serving these people!  There was one episode where we counted 9 staff helping to serve the one customer!  Take that over here that's 9 x $25 an hour, so thats $225 an hour that the customer is wasting in staff resources, and in the end they're not paying a cent for it!!  And most extreme couponers say it takes them around 4-5 hours to do a big shop.  Thats $1125 in wages that could have been spent doing something else!!!!!!!

We do have coupons over here, but they just have tougher regulations.  For example, if there is a bottle of baileys on special for $28.99 and with a coupon it's $25.99 then that's it.  You can't use more than one coupon, and you can't take any other offer with it.  It's amazing how over there they can combine so many different offers and coupons!

#21 Mariamsmum

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

I just watched my first show on the link that anti-socialite posted and I am truly horrified. How on earth can you buy $1156 dollars worth of groceries and only pay $34.66, and take 3 hours to go through the checkout?? What a waste of food, staff and money for the supermarkets. I can only imagine the markup for everyone else to be able to offer the coupon savings.

I also noticed that not one item was fresh or healthy.

#22 Chocolate Addict

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (tigerdog @ 14/04/2012, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree, don't they say that it isn't a bargain unless it's something you really needed anyway?

I keep telling my mother this - one day it will sink in! lol She is a hoarder and a bargain shopper. It isn't a bargain if it is something you don't use or you buy that much it goes off or goes past its use by date.

#23 Fr0g

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

I just watched 10 minutes on Youtube, it was all I could bear.

I understand the concept of saving, but leaving a store with say, 75 containers of mustard "because it won't spoil" is wasteful and pointless.  

I enjoy a 2-for-1 deal as much as the next person, IF it's something I was going to buy anyway.  

There is some kind of obsessive mania going of for these women, Trainwreck TV as it's best....

#24 Chocolate Addict

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

The only discount voucher I use often is a restaurant one of buy one main meal get a second one for $6 - saves us heaps. original.gif The same place has a kids club and if you sign the kid up they get a free meal and drink and a dessert voucher that has 4 vouchers on it. So a family of 5 can eat reasonable food for under $30 original.gif

My mother would and does use coupons we get with the fly buys card though. original.gif

#25 Jenno

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

What channel is it on foxtel?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.