Boys Names and Surname Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KB16

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hi!

I'm expecting our first, and even though the ultrasound tech could only guess, she said boy. We already have a girl's name picked out that both DH and I could agree on, but we are lost for boys. He doesn't like my choices, I don't like his.

Some of My Likes:
Oscar/Oliver (He kind of liked Oscar, then changed his mind.)
Daniel
Parker
Rowan
Asher (Straight No)

Some of His Likes:
Nick (not Nicholas, which I didn't mind)
Trent
Shawn (the spelling here gets me, I like "Sean" but he says he hates that spelling)

I'm also having trouble with our surnames. Even though we're married, I kept my maiden name because he has some negative feelings towards his family and doesn't want me or any future children to have that surname. I suggested at least hyphenating our names, because I don't want him to be left out if the kids all have my surname. (Does this make sense?) So any opinions on hyphenating names, or is it more work then needed? Both our surnames are short, mine's 2 syllables starting with B, his is one starting with R, if that helps with any name suggestions.

Thanks and sorry for the rambling.

#2 Bel Rowley

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm not sure why it matters if he has a different surname to your kids, I have a different surname to my kids (I am also married and didn't change my name) and I don't feel 'left out'.

As for first names, have you tried Nymbler? You could enter some of the names you like, some that he likes, and see if it comes up with any suggestions you both like.

#3 bluedragon

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

I prefer your taste in names, particularly Oliver, Oscar and Rowan. Shawn would be a straight no from me with a possible to Sean, that is the only spelling I can cope with.

What about Owen?

As for the surname issue. We have hyphenated DSs name. I know many people don't like to do that but for us it was what works. DH's surname with my first name sounds beyond rediculous and I want us to have a 'family' name so we all go by the hyphenated name.

If your DH has issues with his name would he consider changing his name to yours, we considered this for a time too.

#4 la di dah

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

Would he be open on you both changing your surname to a third name? Or mashing them, Smithjones rather than Smith-Jones? I just find hyphens tend to get broken and clunky.

Suggestions based on his names:
Nick - Nicholas, Dominic
Trent - Troy, Tristan, Tobias
Shawn - Shane? I like it better than this spelling of Shawn. I like Sean or nothing for this name. Shane, Zane, Seamus, Silas.

Suggestions based on yours:
Daniel - I like Daniel. But anyway - Dashiell, Declan, Dion, Dean and just clean simple Dan.
Parker - Piers, Pierce, Patrick.
Rowan - I quite like Rowan. Other possibilities: Ronan, Raoul, Rhys, Rhett, Reuben.

#5 Abcde-La-A

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hamish
Tristan
Hayden
Rory

And I'd suggest your DH taking your surname too - if he is not keen on passing on his surname, perhaps he'd prefer not to keep it himself either? Is this something he'd consider?

#6 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

with the surname I would suggest he change his surname to yours if he doesn't like his, it's easy to do. I am not a fan of Hyphenating the surnames.

With names DH and I had the same problem, we have different tastes but in the end both came to a compromise and found a name we both liked (I am with you on the spelling of Sean aswell lol).

#7 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

We have a hyphenated surname in a one-two syllable pattern, it flows well and sounds good to us. We wanted a family surname but also liked the sense of equality from hyphenation - plus given we're both from families of only girls, we didn't want to choose a third name as we're both the only option of the family name carrying on.

I like Nicholas, Daniel, Rowan and Sean from your joint lists. Would your DH agree to the spelling Rohan instead - or could you compromise on Shaun?

I don't think you have that divergent taste in names - as a PP suggested, maybe try nymbler.com and see how you go?

#8 libbylu

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

What about Euan or Ewan?  Much nicer than Rowan I think.

You can have two surnames without it being hyphenated.   ie  Ewan King Smith
I don't think it is an issue if you don't use his sirname, but some people may assume he is not the father or you are separated.  It is so common for the children to have the father's last name or a combination of both, but less common to have only the mother's unless the parents are separated.  No reason you can't encourage a new trend though.

#9 KB16

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I headed over to Nymbler and have a new list of hopefuls as well as some of the ones you guys mentioned here to present him when he's back from working away.

He's considered switching to my surname in the past, but the thing that sets him off of it (after I stupidly pointed it out...) is his first name and my surname comes out to a famous name of character in an older movie. And he was definitely was not all "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn..." If you know what I mean. wink.gif

Some names suggested we can't use as they are already names of our nephews or other close relatives:

Shane
Hayden
Dominic
Tobias, as we have a Toby in the family.

Another point, we can't use James either as one of his siblings has taken their grandfather's name and used it as every middle name for their 5 boys... Creativity runs amok in this family. wink.gif

#10 *Lena*

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

I like Daniel and Asher out of your list. The others are not my taste.
Love Shawn (personally I agree with DH with the spelling Sean I just don't see how that spells it to me it looks like it should be pronounced like it rhymes with bean, although I know this is the traditional spelling. I would actually spell it Shaun but thats probably because I knew a man and this is the way it was spelt)

With the last name thats a hard one. If he didn't want his name mentioned then I would just go with your surname. He can always change his later as it seems he doesn't like being associated with his last name.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.