American Idol anyone?
may contain spoilers

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#51 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

ok holy j's take on this evenings performance

colton- great job, but not outstanding as in previous weeks. I personally liked it, it's like when a singer releases an album and 2-3 hits make it big- it's one of the other songs on the album , you have to love the singer to love the song, otherwise it's just good...if that makes sense.

heejun- big suprise really enjoyed his performance.

jessica- personally not her best for me, but still excellent. .

skylar- okay. better thn previous performances, just can't warm to her.

deandre- truly awful, what do they see in him? he tries to do too much and it detracts from the song and it got extremely screechy in places. When you listened to him in the trio, when he wasn't trying so hard, he actually does have a decent voice, but he doesn't carry that to his individual performances.

hollie- good, not outstanding though.

phil- can this guy do a bad performance?? loved it.

joshua- loved it.

Elise- wow! seemed a total 180 to past performances in style, but I really enjoyed it, she nailed that.

I really liked all 3 trios performances as well.

I say skylar or deandre should go tomorrow.

#52 bakesgirls

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (holy_j @ 29/03/2012, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
skylar- okay. better thn previous performances, just can't warm to her.

I hope she goes. Can't stand her and that nasal twang she's got going. I love, love, love Phil- I want him to win original.gif

#53 MrsNorthman

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

colton- I love this guy.  I want him to do something that loads of people know though.  I get scared that people won't vote.

heejun- Cannot warm to him.  Definitely his best performance but I hope he's in the bottom 3 and goes.

jessica- meh, she is great singer but was not my favourite of her performances.

skylar- I think this was probably her best performance to date.  She still looked like a washing machine on spin cycle though.

deandre- Definitely did not think it was as good as the judges were carrying on about.  I can hear the Prince/Benet influences though.  I remember thinking whilst listening to him that if Prince wrote him a song, I bet he would kiss ass.

hollie- love the tone in her voice but she could be in danger this week.

phil- I LOVE HIM!  LOVE HIM!  Felt like he was the celebrity coming on to fill in between idol performances. he is going to KICK ASS regardless of where he comes in this comp.

joshua- very very nice.  also adore some of the nuances of his voice..

Elise- ROCK ON!  Awesome work.  She killed it!

#54 AstralMoon

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Phil was superb. What an artist! Love him, LOVE him!

Colton will probably win this if it's up to 13 years old girls. I really enjoy his performances, he is the 'whole package' that Idol is after I think.

Jessica has great technical ability as we know, I always wait to see what she brings, sure, cos it's so "WOW" for a 16 year old. She is developing more performance skills too. Was pretty darn good  with her take on the Beyonce song.

Hollie -woah, not great! But I do like her.

Heejun - obviously fabulous compared to his previous 'comedy acts'. The song was great for him, worked for his voice.

Deandre was indeed a screeching mess.

Skylar is IMHO far worse than Deandre. She really truly CANNOT sing. (Again IMHO) Just talks and shouts and gets a couple of notes - honestly I have 'sung' a few songs while she was singing them. (My kids were most impressed! LOL ) Pretty easy when you do them like her!  Cannot understand the judges at all apart from what I have said before - it's the support for anything 'country'.

Joshua - I think he's great. not the best from him last night though.

Elise has improved her performance aspect so much. Unfortunately I dont think America likes her, with her being in the bottom 3 so much. Maybe now they might warm to her. What a great song tonight, great voice, great clothes -YAY!!

PLEASE Skylar -GO!  That'll never happen though sad.gif  
Probably Hollie to go unfortunately. Should be Deandre (or preferably Skylar!) Hope Elise avoids the bottom 3.

#55 baddmammajamma

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

I think P-squared (Phillip Phillips) is totally above the rest of the field -- in distinctiveness, in "buy-ability" (that is, able to make a record that people would actually want to buy), and in looks (geez, I sound like an old hag cougar).

Regardless of what happens on AI, I agree with Stevie Nicks that he is going to be famous. He is that talented!

#56 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Yes I agree, it's all in the eyes with Phil. It's funny you watch him when he's singing, and then compare him to when he's stopped. Non singing Phil, is Phil from work, coming over after work for a beer and to watch the footy, singing Phil you can't take your eyes off of him for a second and you just want more!

Heejun gone, he was never going to win, but i thought deandre and skylar should have gone home before him.

#57 MrsNorthman

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

makes no difference to me the order in which they go, they will all go.

i totally agree about phil, we're watching the start of something big...

#58 MrsNorthman

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Any bets on top 4?

Mine is:

Colton
Phil
Joshua
Jessica

I still am not sure about which way the voting public will go though...the last few winners have not given me much confidence...lol...I think Phil might be too sophisticated for the teen voters in the end...

#59 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

America likes country music, and Skylar is the only country singer. So she could make it further that I would like. (not knocking America and their love of country music, just wished that they would have picked a better country singer for the top 13)

Phil will probably come 2nd. Aka 2009 wasn't it when Adam Lambert didn't win.

#60 MrsNorthman

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:54 PM

still dirty about that...still he's done well...

#61 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

I was a little bit disappointed actually, i think he must have a new album out soon. It was too ""pop" for me to really get into. I though he'd go a little darker.

#62 moose2

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Ohhh...can I join in?

I love A.I!

Colton - have to admit didn't initially like him, he has grown on me. Thought his performance on Thursday was just okay, but loved his version of the piano man!

Haley - love her, but she makes really old for her age song choices, and probably some work on her technique.

Jessica - what else is there to say? Worry that she may get into the bottom 3 because people will assume she's a sure thing and not vote (like Pia Toscano last season), but I guess that's where the judges would use the save card.

Phillip - love him too. You Phillip Phillipsed that man! Steven Tyler you crack me up!

Deandre - makes me want to scratch my ears off every time he sings. Still mad that he stayed and Erica left - so wrong!

Joshua - like him, not sure why? Is it me or is he quite effeminate (not that it matters)?

Skylar - love her energy, but not her voice.

Heejun - Glad he's gone.

Elise - love her voice. Needs more confidence - loved her last performance.

Eighties next week - can't wait!!

Edited by moose2, 31 March 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#63 AstralMoon

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Ok Heejun has gone! Woo hoo

I really wish that Phil would win, but I think he's too sophisticated for Idol. Like I've said already it may well be Colton.

I don't agree with Jimmy Iovine saying that showing too much emotion is a turn-off for people. I personally love it, the tears we've seen lately have really added to the performances.

#64 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

so last night was a bit of a mixed bag.

All 4 duets were fantastic, i loved them all.

Deandre- actually suprised me, as he did a great job, when he wasn't trying to do too much
Elise- stuffed up big time. It sounded like she wasn't singing on time or in tune. Disappointed as i though she would really nail that song.

Jessica & Phil- absolutely awesome as we have come to expect.

Skylar- wow big surprise there, again when she tones down the finger stuck in the power socket moves, it's not bad at all, i really enjoyed listening to the country twang on that song.

Joshua- didn't see what the judges were seeing. It was overdone particularly towards the end, still a solid performance but too much for the listener.

Colton- I really like it, but it might not be everybody's cup of tea.

Hollie- she has a fantastic voice, but definitely the wrong song yesterday.

#65 baddmammajamma

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:38 PM

holy_j, I share almost every sentiment.

I was bummed by some of the song choices. LOVE Phil, but seriously, post-Peter Gabriel Genesis?! Really?! There are so many other better songs out there. I felt like the performers went uber-mainstream, which was disappointing to me.

#66 AstralMoon

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm pretty much agreeing with both holy_j and badmammajamma.

Adding that although I didn't overly enjoy Skylar, she was much better and I wasn't cringing.

Also: poor Elise - extremely disappointing!

Holie / Elise def for the bottom 3. Cannot decide who else is in there .
(I'm in WA and havent seen the ep tonight yet )

Edited by AstralMoon, 06 April 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#67 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Yes I agree BMJ. It was still a great solid performance, i didn't have that wow factor of previous weeks, it's the non released song on the album...lol.

#68 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Deandre gone.

pretty much agree with the bottom 3 for the night, not overall. Hopefully Elise picks up her game next week.

#69 AstralMoon

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

yay Deandre's off into the yonder.

Elise is inconsistent, she really has to pick up her game.

#70 ~Nodnol~

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Elise will go next. She's only had one decent week. Poor Hollie needs to knock their socks off or she will follow.  sad.gif I like her much more than Jessica, I think she is just meh, while she has a good voice, nothing stands out about her.

Phil and Colton continue to share my love, but Joshua is gaining on them. He is so lovely.

Skylar shocked me, she did well.  huh.gif

#71 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

Elise has certainly had more than 1 decent week, you must have missed a few Nodnol  biggrin.gif

OK this week, er flirting much??  biggrin.gif Phil and Elise were acting like an old married couple. Joshua looked like he was cheating on Jessica with Hollie.  

Skylar- definitely getting better, a solid performance  from her. I don't like country, but it was easy on the ear.

Phil- Solid, good, gonna have to pull out the stops next week, starting to get a bit same old, i actually agree with the judges for once.

Hollie- i think she will go. She has such a tremendous voice, she needs to grow into it.

Jessica- I didn't like it. She sang okay, wrong song. Didn't like the arrangement either, didn't flow or make sense to me.

Colton, Elise and Joshua, all 3 performances excellent.

#72 baddmammajamma

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

I think Joshua is incredible. I don't think he is going to win, but man oh man, can that boy can BLOW! However, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy (and the judges) start to cool on him. Not because he doesn't deserve to win but because they will be worried about picking someone who is super marketable in a mainstream way.

I would love to see Phillip light it up a bit more. He was spectacular when he chose Jonny Lang a few weeks ago ("Still Rainin'"). The last two weeks have been too mellow for my liking. Still love him best.

holy_j, I didn't like Jessica's performance either.

I also agree that Hollie will be getting the ouster tomorrow.

#73 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

BMJ: James Durbin is performing tomorrow night, if you remember from last season he was the contestant with tourettes + aspergers. Should be good, he was one of my favourites and a phenomenal singer. It's always interesting to see the contestants again, and who makes it and who doesn't.

#74 baddmammajamma

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

James Durbin is one of my favorites of all time (if not THE favorite), and not solely because of the ASD! His version of  Muse's "Uprising"  and George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" were amazing. I would have loved to have seen him win. He, Adam Lampert, Chris Doughtery & Kathrine McPhee were robbed (at various stages on AI).

holy_j, have you been watching since the days of Justin Guarini? wink.gif

#75 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

No I haven't, it didn't even know what AI was back in 2002.Majorly got into it for the last 4 seasons & have watched a few clips on you tube of the well known former AI contestants.

Did he make an appearance last season? He looks familiar.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.