How many viable embies from how many follicles?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 libbylu

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

So this is my first cycle and my scan at CD11 showed 12 or 13 follicles that were 15-20mm.  EPU will be on day CD14 and my FS said they should all be above 18mm by then, and if they are then he will collect from them all, but only about 70% will have an egg.  So that's 8 or 9 eggs.
I know every cycle and every woman is different.  But if you started out with similar stats, how did things end up for you?

#2 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

Depends on a few variables, mostly age, egg and sperm quality, embryo specific issues, etc.
Your key steps are:
- % mature egg
- % successfully fertilized
- % embryos making it to day 3
- %!embryos making it to day 5

Then you obviously have an implantation rate, a Viable heartbeat rate and a live birth rate, which obviously solve for the miscarriage rate, but let's not get too far ahead!

We had a first round shocker with 12 follicles, 10 mature eggs, but only 2 fertilize... Luckily enough both made it to day 5. Neither transfer was successful.

Second stim cycle I got 10 mature eggs again, ICSI resulted in 8 fertilizing. I think about 5 made it to day 3 (and to think I thought I would never forget those numbers) and only 2 suitable for transfer / freezing on day 5.

These guys have some age based stats:
http://www.advancedfertility.com/ivf.htm

Hope that helps

#3 ChickenNuggets

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

14 follies
7 collected
1 transferred, 3 on ice

#4 Paddlepop

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

I had about 10 follicles (FS likes about 12 for EPU); got 9 eggs; 1 was immature so 8 mature eggs; 1 didn't fertilise and 1 fertilised with 2 sperm (it was discarded) so 6 fertilised eggs; ended up with 1 good blastocyst for transfer on day 5, and 1 good blastocyst allowed to develop until day 6 then frozen. The other 4 didn't continue to grow.

The first blastocyst was transferred but didn't implant so the next month the frozen embryo was defrosted and was transferred, resulting in my now 2 year old daughter!

I was 29 and my husband was 31 at the time of doing IVF.

I think that my IVF clinic said that about 25% of mature eggs will form into a quality blastocyst if you are young and don't require any procedures like ICSI or Assisted Hatching.

Best of luck!

#5 Bitter - Sweet

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

1st ICIS cycle 13 follicles 5 embryos
2nd ICIS cycle 8 follicles 6 embryos

#6 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

My first EPU I had 20 follies and 18 mature eggs collected, no embies though as DH didn't have any sperm so the eggs are on ice.

Last EPU I think 27 follies, 20 eggs and we got 13 embies out of that. Some didn't make it and at the end of the 5 day wait. I have had a transfer done 3 times now and we have 8 embies left.

#7 cordyline

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

First icsi - 0ver 20 follicles, 17 eggs, 12 fertilised, 3 usable embryos.
Second ha-icsi - 8 follicles , 7 eggs, 5 fertilised ... Waiting to hear number that make it to day 5.

#8 domestically~challenged

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thats stat was pretty true for me from memory my stats were:

ICSI#1 - 20 dominant follies, 15 eggs collected, 14/15 fertilised, x11 made it to day 2.

ICSI#2 - 15 dominant follies, 11 eggs collected, 11/11 fertilised, x2 made it to day 5.

#9 librablonde

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

IVF ICSI:
1st cycle: 11 follicles, 8 eggs, 4 fertilised to day 3.
2nd cycle: 4 follicles, 3 eggs, 3 fertilised to day 2.
All survived thaw's for FET's on either day 2 or day 3.

#10 k10

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

IVF/ICSI 2007-2008
1st cycle - 8 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilised, 1 blast tsfrd, no frosties BFN
2nd cycle - 8 eggs, about 6 mature, 4 fertilised, 1 blast tsfrd, no frosties, BFN
3rd cycle - 6 eggs, I think 4 mature, 3 fertilised, 1 blast tsfrd, no frosties, BFP

IVF/ICSI 2011 TTC #2
1st cycle - 4 eggs, 4 mature, 4 fertilised, 4 still going day 5, 1 blast tfrd, no frosties BFP

Good luck original.gif

#11 BJBubbles

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Cycle # 1 - Antagonist, standard IVF, 13 Follicles = 6 eggs, 1 immature, 1 didn't fertilise,  3 fertilised abnormally, 1 fertilised. 1 day2 emby transferred. BFP - early miscarriage

Cycle #2 - Antagonist, ICSI, 17 Follicles = 10 Eggs, 8 Mature, 7 fertilised, 1 day 5 blast transferred, 3 frozen on day 6. BFP (Ended at 12w3d due to Ancephally)

FET #1 - 1 day 6 emby thawed and transferred, BFN

FET # 2 - 1 emby did't survive thaw. 1 day 6 emby thawed and transferred. BFN

Cycle #3 - Antagonist, ICSI, 14 Follicles = 6 eggs, 3 immature, 2 didn't fertilise, 1 fertilised but abnormal at day 2, no transfer

Good Luck OP!

#12 libbylu

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Wow - thanks for all your replies.  Such a range of possible outcomes!

I ended up with 14 eggs from 14 follicles, which is a really positive start, I'm totally over the moon.  I got a message this afternoon confirming my embryo transfer tomorrow, so there must have been at least one looking reasonable this arvo.  Fingers crossed it's still looking good tomorrow. Can't wait to find out how the others fared.

#13 dolcengabbana

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

I had what our FS thought would be 6-8 large follies and we were a bit worried.
At EPU only 3 Eggs collected. I was terribly disappointed.
However of the 3 - all were mature all fertilised with no frag. One popped back in me, 2 frozen all 8 cell at day 3.

April will have the next two defrosted and popped back. Fingers crossed

#14 mickey78

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

OP, good luck for your transfer (and hope you get a few for the freezer).

FTR, we got:

Cycle 1 - 12 eggs, 9 mature/ICSI'd, 5 fertilised, 0 blasts (all arrested before transfer).

Cycle 2 - 14 eggs, 14 mature/ICSI'd, 12 fertilised, 8 blasts (1 fresh transfer and 7 frosties).

#15 libbylu

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

Well I had my transfer today.  And the news from the embryologist was amazing.  Out of 14 collected, 13 fertilized, and 11 were looking good after 48 hours.  So one popped back in and up to 10 to freeze.  I am not sure when they freeze, but she said we may loose a couple between now and then, but I should certainly have plenty spare.
This is great news as it means we won't have to go through another stim cycle.  DH and I agreed to do 4 transfers then reassess.  I should have at least that many embies, so I just couldn't have hoped for a better outcome.
It feels so strange after the transfer though- it feels like the embryo would just fall right out again.  It's hard to believe they stay in there.  I guess we will wait and see.

#16 Paddlepop

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Congratulations on your results! It sounds like you will have some to freeze. I hope you get a BFP. Please let us know the result in 2 weeks.

The embryo will stay in there, but I know what you mean. All of that effort, time and money and then being scared that it might drop out and be flushed down the toilet. I did things as normal for my first transfer, but for my second (and successful) transfer I went straight to acupuncture then my DH had me sit or lie down as much as possible and waited on me hand and foot for about 48 hours. The transfer was on a Friday morning so he had the whole weekend to pamper me! The only time I stood up was to go to the toilet or shower. I have no idea if it made any difference but that embryo stuck, grew and is now "reading" a Giggle and Hoot book next to me in the lounge.

Best of luck. I'll keep my fingers, toes and legs crossed for you!

#17 spottydog

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Great news on transfer.

I hope its a BFP for you. I also hope you get lots frozen when they freeze.

The statistics we were given from our FS were that we should expect a pregnancy after 3 full stim cycles and assosicated FETs from those cycles, and these were 5day transfers.

Good luck.

spotty.

#18 fooiesmum

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Good luck with your 2WW and I hope you have a positive cycle.

Another stat for the list -

IVF/ICSI 2007
1st cycle - 5 eggs, 4 fertilised, 3 to day 3 & 2 day 5 - 1 blast tsfrd, 1 frostie - BFP

#19 bright*future

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Good luck on your transfer Libbylu - I really hope you get your BFP!!

They are great numbers, what did you focus on (health wise) leading up to the EPU?

#20 thebarnwellb4

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

I had 20 follicles
16 eggs
13 fertilized
1 day 5 transferred
9 day 5 blast on ice

#21 domestically~challenged

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Congrats on your transfer original.gif Sounds like they may be growing them to day 5 before freezing.

So one popped back in and up to 10 to freeze. I am not sure when they freeze, but she said we may loose a couple between now and then, but I should certainly have plenty spare.
This is great news as it means we won't have to go through another stim cycle.

For our first cycle we got 11 embies - transferred x1 and froze x10. I had a 100% thaw rate and none of those 11 embies decided to stick around. I then had to go through another stim cycle. As everyone says it is quality over quantity.

I hope your have better luck and it is only 1 stim cycle for you though hands.gif

#22 libbylu

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (domestically~challenged @ 05/03/2012, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For our first cycle we got 11 embies - transferred x1 and froze x10. I had a 100% thaw rate and none of those 11 embies decided to stick around. I then had to go through another stim cycle. As everyone says it is quality over quantity.

I hope your have better luck and it is only 1 stim cycle for you though hands.gif

We have a beautiful 5yo DS, and although we desperately want another child, there is only so much we are prepared to put ourselves through.  We have already had 18 months worth of various treatments and 2.5 years of trying. DH has agreed to do 4 transfers.  I would be happy to use up the embies from this stim cycle if there are more than 4, which it seems there will be, but there will come a time when we will decide to say enough is enough and get on with our lives.  Everyone's limit will be different I am sure and it makes a difference to me that we already have DS in our lives.  I think I would be willing to keep on trying forever if I didn't have him.

As for what I did healthwise......nothing in particular.  I am lucky to have good health. I don't smoke, I exercise a few times a week, I drink tea not coffee, and have one or two alcoholic drinks per week. I take a mulitvitamin.  I put it down to pure good luck.

#23 domestically~challenged

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Sorry I worded that badly as I was in a rush. How many you lose may depend on how long they grow them before freezing. On my last cycle we had 11/11 fertilise and they were all going great guns but only ended up with x2 by day 5. Setting a limit of 4 transfers you need to take into account not only how many you may lose before freezing but also how may you may lose in the thaw process which has a success rate of around 70% surviving the thaw process. I guess I just wanted to point out not to be too disappointed if you for some reason don't end up with 4 embies transferred from your first stim cycle and have to do another one to get to 4 transfers. IVF throws a lot of curve balls.

*** CHILDREN MENTIONED ***

I also get where you are coming from re: secondary infertlity. I was successful but it took 6 years to get there. I would not go through what I did the first time or for as long. I think you are very strong setting yourself to a limit.

#24 josh2003

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

OP, for all our first 4 stim cycles, we collected 15 eggs each time, of which about 6-7 would fertilise, but we only ended up with 2 to transfer (only twice we got a crappy one left to freeze).  On our last cylce, we had 20 eggs collected, and still only ended up with one good quality and one crappy quality embryos to transfer, and nothing to freeze.

I also get where you are coming from re: secondary infertlity. I was successful but it took 6 years to get there. I would not go through what I did the first time or for as long. I think you are very strong setting yourself to a limit.

We're doing a cycle this month in an attempt to have a third, and we have (naively or not) said that this will be our one and only cycle this time.  I'm 35 now, so it's either now or never for us.  DH isn't even that keen on doing this cycle, as he'd rather just tempt fate naturally, but I had a molar pregnancy 18 months ago for which I needed chemo, so we're doing ICSI to try and avoid another one.

But there's no way that I'll go down the same path as we did last time.  This time around it's a "nice to have", rather than a "have to have".

#25 pink cupcake

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

First ivf cycle: 24 eggs collected, 4 fertilised, 2 x day 3 transfers, both bfn
Second ivf/Icsi:  14 eggs, all fertilised, 10 blastos, 1 early loss, 2 x BFP from frozen cycles, 7 frosties remain

Congrats on your transfer and good luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.