Moving to Melbourne from Scotland! Terrified SAHM here!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Tamashii

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

Hi everyone...
I am a SAHM in Scotland, UK just now.  My husband works in construction and has a state nominated visa that expires soon so we will be moving to Melbourne at the end of this year.  I am terrified!!!  We lived in Melbourne for a short time as a couple back in 2005 and vowed to come back but now we have 2 little kids so it is completely different coming over permanently with them so we can't just rent a one bed apartment wherever we can afford to.  This time we will need to think about kindy, family friendly areas and (most relevant to us) where we can afford to live.

Anyway, I have no idea what happens with the little ones when we arrive.  My two are 4 years old and 4 months old so the baby will be at home with me to start but what happens with the 4 year old?  He is at nursery here in the UK but I don't think they start kindy in Victoria until they are older.  

Basically, any help or advice on affordable family friendly areas where we could rent and what is the general set up with regards to playgroups/kindy/school???  I know it's a lot to ask but just anything that might point me in the right direction as I am CLUELESS!!!  Thanks sooooo much in advance.

#2 Kabrsi

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:41 AM

Where in Scotland are you? I'm an Aussie living nr Dundee so we could meet if you are nearby and I can tell you all about the schooling etc. I grew up in Sydney though so not much help on the Melbourne front.

I should add I don't have kids yet but went through the NSW school system and could answer some questions. Not too sure how different NSW & VIC are but can find out. You'll also need to know about the hospital system, Medicare, private health insurance, shopping... Can go on and on.

PM me if you like

#3 Carmen02

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

4 yr olds are at kindy in melbourne original.gif Im a bit further out from the centre of melbourne it depends if your DH has a job yet or not if you want to work around that find an area near there?

#4 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:01 AM

I'm in Melbourne.

The cut off dates for school is 30 April, kids need to be 5 by 30 April to start prep. Depending on dates you could be going straight to "big school". Kindy is available for 3 and 4yo but is not state sponsored so places are limited.

There really are lots of good areas and good schools here, do you know where your husband will be working, do you want to live close to the city or in the outer (roomier) fringe, do you have a rental budget and minimum requirements?

I am inner city, I have a handful of Brit friends (including one Scot) who live in Williamstown and all love it.

Feel free to PM with details you don't want to post, I also have a 6mo and am happy to meet up when you get here. It's a huge move, all the best with it original.gif

#5 lonsdale

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us how much you think is affordable? It just hard otherwise because my version of affordable and your version could differ quite a bit.

Do you know where your DH will work? i.e what area?

#6 katpaws

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

OP, this might be of assistance to you (info on kindergarten):

http://www.kpv.org.au/page/view/kindergart...n-victoria-131/

For playgroups:

http://www.playgroup.org.au/

Primary schools:

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/livin...primary-schools

If you can give more info on what sort of area you want (ie urban, city, country etc) and your price range, i am sure readers can make some suggestions for you. I would recommend where i live (inner west of Melbourne) but it probably isn't the cheapest but it is great for little kids.

Welcome back to Vic.

Edited by katpaws, 29 February 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#7 lottiebobs

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hi Tamashii,

I'm an English Mum living in Melbourne - we moved out here 2.5 years ago when our 2 kids were 2 and 4.5.

How old will your eldest be when you arrive?  My DS turned 5 in the Jan after we arrived so started at school as he was about to start in the UK before we left.  We could have kept him back until the following year but he was more than ready to start and has handled it with no problems even though some of the kids in his year group are a bit older.

DD is now 4.5 and has just started in 4 yr kinder program as she just missed the cut off date for starting school this year.  She will start school next year when she is 5.5.

Feel free to PM for a chat about moving to the other side of the world.  No need to be terrified - it can be hard work to start with but we don't regret moving for a single moment  biggrin.gif

Any ideas about where you want to be located?

#8 Eirinn

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

I just moved from Melbourne to Sydney, but I can recommend Frankston South as a wonderful, family friendly beachside suburb. 4 year old kinder is compulsory and subsidised by the government. As for the baby, there is a wonderful playgroup with a great bunch of women, one of whom happens to be a Scottish expat!

#9 Indi

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (Eirinn @ 01/03/2012, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
4 year old kinder is compulsory and subsidised by the government.

That's not correct.  4 year old kinder is subsidised by the government but is NOT compulsory.  Most kids do attend a kinder program however, whether it be council run, at a long day care centre or attached to a school in an early learning environment.

OP, as a PP suggested you might want to give us your idea of affordability and a bit more information about your husband's job.  Where will he be located, what length of commute is practical, will he drive or rely on public transport.  Do you like leafy, more established areas or would you prefer a new estate?  Without this information people will just tell you what they like which might not be practical for you.

#10 Tamashii

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies.  It's really great to be able to talk to you guys before we actually leave the UK.  I really appreciate it!!!  Anyway, hubby is currently a Construction Project Manager but has been told he will most likely be back on the tools (joiner/carpenter) since you can't just move country and jump in at management level.  He will have to work his way up again.  He has been looking at jobs around the Western suburbs of Melbourne and Point Cook looks like the kind of place we would want to rent at first.  Everywhere else seems a bit too expensive for us (to start at least) and I know Point Cook is a massive new build estate without the charm and history of other parts of the city but it's the kind of price range we could prob afford at first.  

I have been looking at 3 bed houses at around $300 AUD a week in Point Cook.  We had previously been looking at houses in Mentone/Mordialloc with hubby looking at work in the CBD and then we looked at Emerald as there was different kind of work for him out that way but it was too far inland for us (hubby wants to be closer to the beach and further from areas more likely to suffer bush fires).

Ideally we'd love to stay somewhere closer to the CBD and on the Eastern side of Melbourne - more leafy green and historical.  It's just not on the cards for us on arrival since we'll be starting again, need a 3 bed house and will have to buy a car.  That along with the issues with the really weak GBP £ at present means we won't be taking as much money with us as we did back in 05 when the exchange rate was $2.50 to the £.  So we're on a pretty tight budget but don't want to end up somewhere affordable but undesireable-especially when we have kids and our 4 year old will be school age soon after we arrive.

Any views on Point Cooke?  I have been told to try for closer to Seabrook?

Also, I was comparing the 1 bed apartment we rented years ago in South Yarra with the 3 bed houses in Point Cooke... Our old apartment now rents for $390 A WEEK!!! You can rent some really amazing houses in Point Cooke for that...

#11 TupperChick

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

We are over in Williams Landing which is just on the other side of the freeway to Point Cook. You should be able to find a house over here in your budget. We moved from country Victoria in October and so far it has been great. The only thing is you have to travel outside of the suburb to shop as at this stage there are no shops here but its only about 5 minutes to the local shops at Tarniet.
PM me if you want any other info.

#12 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

I have some friends in Point Cook and thry like it, they also work in Altona so it's five minutes to work.

Williamstown (I know I already said this) is on the right side of the west gate for you and has some terrific schools zoning wise, if you're jumping straight into school with your biggun you may want to consider a smaller place in a good catchement rather than also adding school travel to your daily driving tasks?

South Yarra - I know, we rented there before we bought, our rent was a 2 bed for around $300 a week and an apartment in that complex recently sold for close to $1m oomg.gif

Keep in touch here, I'm sure e can arrange a welcome party when you get here biggrin.gif

#13 katpaws

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

OP, you might want to check out the council website that covers Point Cook, it will give info on kindy etc:

http://www.wyndham.vic.gov.au/

Also, found this:

http://www.lifeinvictoria.com/forum/suburb...point-cook.html

Myself, i would not live at Point Cook because i more of an inner city gal and i like suburbs with more older buildings and culture but some people prefer the Point Cook life. It really depends on how you like to live, your lifestyle and what you want in your environment.

Edited by katpaws, 14 March 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#14 Indi

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

If your husband will be working in the CBD the commute can be a nightmare, some mornings it will be stop-start the whole way in.

#15 katpaws

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Ideally we'd love to stay somewhere closer to the CBD and on the Eastern side of Melbourne - more leafy green and historical.

Opops just read this. Maybe Yarraville, Seddon, Kingsville? North Melbourne? West or East Melbourne?

INfo sites:

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.maribyrnong.vic.gov.au/

http://www.hobsonsbay.vic.gov.au/Home

ANd if you want a place with a village feel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarraville,_Victoria

Edited by katpaws, 15 March 2012 - 06:40 AM.

#16 Tamashii

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for all the links and replies.  

I know Point Cook is pretty much brand new so it doesn't have any kind of historical landmarks or buildings but we don't mind since we will be concerned with renting and our budget to start with anyway.  I have also heard there is some kind of sewage treatment plant or something nearby which can be off putting but I don't know.

It's been difficult finding out where to go when asking on some of the migration forums because people get really defensive and are quite opinionated about certain areas obviously but it makes it impossible once it all kicks off so thanks a lot for your honest and helfpul info!  Love it.

#17 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Could you rent somewhere short term! And decide when you arrive.

Also does it have to be a three bedder. What about a townhouse or apartment somewhere for 6 months or so, and then decide where to end up?

#18 janeway

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

Point Cook is a nice, modern suburb & a great place to start out. The kinder & school facilities are very modern & like anywhere, some are more desirable than others so you do need to be aware of zoning, etc. Point Cook does have some historical landmarks (the Point Cook homestead was built in 1857) & the sewage treatment plant that I think people referring to is actually in another suburb, Werribee & really is no reason to dismiss the entire suburb anyway  rolleyes.gif

I think the Wyndham area in general is great for young families, lots of parks, local libraries & the Werribee Zoo is close by. For the weekends you are not too far from the city or not too far from Geelong either if you want to explore the coast.

My ex is a carpenter and works around the outer western suburbs on new builds. He lives in Werribee South & is often home from work early enough to pick our Dd up from school as it is easier to get onto/off the freeway from where he is, as opposed to Point Cook which can get very congested at peak times. I am also around the Werribee area & am happy to help out with anything you might want to know, feel free to pm  original.gif

Efs

Edited by janeway, 17 March 2012 - 01:41 AM.

#19 MooMoosMummy

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

Hi Op,

Congratulations on your upcoming move.

We did the opposite move a few years ago from Melbourne to Edinburgh.  

I know that you have lived in Melbourne before but I just thought I would mention, when you budget for your rent, remember that you don't pay rates (Council tax) as a renter, so that mean you may have some more flexibility in your budget.

Good luck on the move

#20 *melrose*

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:08 PM

Just wanted to put in that we have just made the big move from Brisbane Queensland AND WE LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!

#21 tummypudding

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

Just a thought - if you rent in Point Cook you would probably need two cars, as the public transport is limited, and you could be isolated out there with young children.

Maybe it would be better to put the money that you would spend running a second car towards renting in a suburb with better services and public transport, where you can walk to a park/coffee shop/mothers group or take the train/tram to appointments?

I'd suggest looking at closer suburbs with better infrastructure, eg Yarraville, Seddon. Or further out in the East or North-East where there is better public transport and schools - eg Blackburn or Eltham.

All the best

#22 Shelly-B

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

If you are thinking of Point Cook there are HEAPS of young families so you will be able to make friends etc easily. The transport is an issue but if you are happy to use public transport then just make sure you rent near a bus stop.

We do that at the moment and hubby takes the train in every day. It's a good starter area but not somewhere i'd choose to live forever.

#23 bean1977

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

I am also a Scot living in Melbourne - been out here for 3 years now and we have a 15 month old little girl.

PM me if you have questions!

Edited by bean1977, 25 May 2013 - 06:18 PM.

#24 justthegirls

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Is $300 the standard price for rentals in Point Cook?  That just seems so cheap given it's proximity to the city.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Chinese manufacturers tap into the cute factor with tree-grown babies.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.