Private or Public - Struggling to make a decision
Any advce??

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 geishagirl

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

I am choosing to go public for my first baby, as I work in the public hospital system and think that the system generally provides excellent service and care. I could afford to upgrade my PHI (actually didn't do it in time, so moot point anyway) but just feel the money is better spent elsewhere.

QUOTE (Nat1976 @ 28/02/2012, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plus, it was imortant for me to have an OB of my choice should I need surgery. As it happened, I did, and I was glad I was not cut open by a random overseas trained registrar (that's whom my local publi hospital is staffed with).

Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread, but I find your comments a bit offensive. I understand wanting continuity of care with your own OB or team of midwives, but saying you don't want a random overseas-trained doctor is just wrong. Leave the overseas training out of it - just say you don't want a random registrar. Many countries provide world-class medical training and assuming Australian training is the only acceptable stanadard is naive (which I am saying as an Aus-trained med professional!).

I also agree with Amber - you have no idea what your experience in the public system might have been like, so are not really qualified to disparage it.

Edited by geishagirl, 29 February 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#27 geishagirl

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 29/02/2012, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basically the dr agrees to charge you the amount that your health fund will cover. Friends did this with their first child & they had no out of pocket costs at all - even their scans were bulk billed.

They may not have any out of pocket hospital costs but PHI doesn't cover outpatient treatment. Medicare would have covered the costs of appointments, scans etc. OB Preg management fees are usually anything in excess of $1500 up to $6000 or more, and Medicare only rebates about $450 now. No rebate from PHI for that.

I agree that the decision is very personal though and only you can ultimately decide what is best for you. Good luck!

#28 bikingbubs

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (EBeditor @ 29/02/2012, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nat1976, I stayed 4 or 5 nights in a public hospital with my first and didn't even have  a c-section, I just needed the rest and the help with breastfeeding. They don't kick you out if you still need to be there.

With all due respect, if you haven't given birth in a public hospital, how would you know what the experience would be like?

This is what I wanted to reply with, I just couldnt figure out a way to word it original.gif

Although I was in for 6 nights!

#29 SpunkyMonkey88

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

I had both DS and DD private, and I will definately go Public next time. The lack of support I recieved compared to several frinds who went public was disgraceful.

I was told several hours after having DD (c-section) to get her own bottle (she was formula fed due to me having a breast-reduction which resulted in too much damage being done), as they wouldn't do it. (My husband had gone home at that point because it had been a long few days...

IMO public hospitals are less judgemental and more accepting of mothers choices.

#30 goldimouse

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

Don't belong here either, came in via recent topics.

I've had two babies in the public system and my second was born at St George public original.gif I had him in the Birthing Centre, which I can't speak highly enough of. Any future babies will be birthed there if possible original.gif

My sister had her first baby in a private hospital and then her subsequent three babies were born in a public hospital - she didn't see the point of paying for normal labours and deliveries, which is how I feel about it too.

FWIW, I've never heard anyone judge anyone else for having a baby in a public hospital original.gif

#31 kimliz

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in original.gif

I had both my babies in my local public hospital and both experiences were incredible. I went through the midwife program and both bubs were delivered by midwives in the spa bath no less. I have heard of private patients being given the water birth option when it came to cruch time. I also stayed in hospital for 3-5 days and had excellent help with breast feeding. I just told them I wasn't leaving till Imy milk came in and  bub was breastfeeding well.

Obviously if you have a complicated pregnancy, private might be a better way to go, but I really don't know.

I also went public with my D & C yesterday (missed miscarriage) and I could not be happier with the way I was treated. Nurses definitely deserve more money.

Kim

#32 g_uzica

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

I just this in recent topics.

In your case I would go public as St George Public it's a pretty good hospital and has been recommended to me, I am due to give birth in August and am going to St George Provate because I refuse to go to my local public area.

If I was living in the St George Public catchment area, this is where I would have gone.

I went public with my first (different to current catchment area) and it all went quite smoothly, but then I had no complications... I saw different midwives but I was comfortable asking any questions.  The best part was that I could organise my midwife appointments on Saturdays when it wasn't as busy and so less waiting times.

Whether you go public or private you can have a bad experience on the day even though other people had a great Experence at the same place, so it's definitely up to you to which choice you are most comfortable with.

Edited by g_uzica, 07 March 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#33 Soontobegran

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (EBeditor @ 29/02/2012, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nat1976, I stayed 4 or 5 nights in a public hospital with my first and didn't even have  a c-section, I just needed the rest and the help with breastfeeding. They don't kick you out if you still need to be there.

Unfortunately the ability to let you stay extra days is dependent on the hospital and it's throughput.
For an uncomplicated vaginal delivery you need a very convincing reason to allow a mother to stay a third night. It isn't as easy as saying yes. The hospital is funded for a certain length of stay according to the nature of the delivery.

I don't like this, I would be much happier going back to the days of 6 day admissions for vaginal and 7 days for C/S when mothers went home rested, without pain and have managed to navigate those horrible hormonal days when trying to establish feeding instead of being sent home in the midst of it to a very unsupportive situation.

#34 Feral Melody

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

I went public with my first and will again with this one (both at RPA). From what I've heard from friends that went private and then chose public for a subsequent pregnancy, the level of care they received really wasn't that much different. I thought the care at RPA was excellent.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Vote for a chance to win $5000

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby news for Isla and Sacha

Congratulations are in order for Aussie actress Isla Fisher and her husband, Sacha Baron Cohen.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Vote to win

What are your favourite baby products?

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.